• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

3N16MA

Banned
Was just looking at box office mojo to see how pirates was faring (I know I'm one of the few that want it to make enough to justify another)

Incredible to see that Disney hold the 1st, 3rd and 5th highest grossing worldwide this year with $2.6 billion between the 3 of them with Cars 3, Spider-Man, Thor, Coco and Star Wars still to come

Mental

Welcome to the box office.

Disney dominates.

firelogic

Was just looking at box office mojo to see how pirates was faring (I know I'm one of the few that want it to make enough to justify another)

Incredible to see that Disney hold the 1st, 3rd and 5th highest grossing worldwide this year with $2.6 billion between the 3 of them with Cars 3, Spider-Man, Thor, Coco and Star Wars still to come

Mental

Isn't Spider-Man all Sony? I thought Disney wasn't getting any of the profits from that movie.

kswiston

In honor of this week's stellar opener lineup of future classics, I thought I would share a list of what was released in this month 30 years ago (courtesy of Hollywood Reporter)

The Untouchables - June 3, 1987
Harry and the Hendersons - June 5, 1987
The Witches of Eastwick - June 12, 1987
Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987
Spaceballs - June 24, 1987
Full Metal Jacket - June 26, 1987

Other releases included:
Dragnet, The Believers, Million Dollar Mystery, and Benji the Hunted, but most of those don't see much play on television now.

BumRush

In honor of this week's stellar opener lineup of future classics, I thought I would share a list of what was released in this month 30 years ago (courtesy of Hollywood Reporter)

Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987

Other releases included:
Dragnet, The Believers, Million Dollar Mystery, and Benji the Hunted, but most of those don't see much play on television now.

Holy shit, stacked!!!

kunonabi

Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987

Other releases included:

goddamn, what a month.

Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987

Other releases included:

Back when summer weekends used to mean something.

Slayven

Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987

Other releases included:

My childhood

kswiston

Robocop was July 1987

However, audiences also had to endure Jaws IV: The Revenge, and Superman IV: Quest for Peace that July.

kswiston

Gremlins has the same MPAA rating as Finding Dory

EDIT: I know that Gremlins was one of the films directly responsible for the PG13 rating, but I still find it funny that people were taking their 4 year olds to that.

GhaleonEB

Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987

Other releases included:
Holy FUCK now that's a month of instant classics.

Wow.

Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987

Other releases included:

I've never seen any of these movies.

I'm assuming you made them all up to throw people off

Slayven

My Grandparents used to sit me and my bros down on Sat morn and put Gremlins on. 80s were amazing

Gremlins has the same MPAA rating as Finding Dory

EDIT: I know that Gremlins was one of the films directly responsible for the PG13 rating, but I still find it funny that people were taking their 4 year olds to that.

The santa claus story is still fucked up to this day, why would you write that scene for a kid's movie?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987

Other releases included:

I shoulda been born two months earlia. Cats coulda called me Billion Dolla Movie Baby. Heralded that shit.

That is one ace king month of movies.

2nd Update, 12:38PM: Disney’s Cars 3 will lead today with an estimated $21M based off of matinees, which is higher than the $19.7M that 2006’s Cars made on day one and just under the $25.7m that Cars 2 deposited. One industry estimate sees the Pixar film at $57.5M, but with Saturday matinees and Father’s Day, plus its fresh reviews, it won’t be a surprise to see Cars 3 pace past $60M.

Lionsgate Code Black/Morgan Creek’s All Eyez on Me is very strong and could send Wonder Woman to the No. 3 spot for the weekend. Both are respectively at $35M and $37.5M as of right now, but the notion is that the Tupac Shakur movie could pull ahead. Most of tracking saw All Eyez in the low $20M for the weekend, but one rival major studio’s estimates saw the film at $25M-$30M given the pic’s momentum in advance ticket sales. Those projections were considered to be too aggressive, but now they’re more than a reality. Today is Tupac’s birthday (he would have been 46) and Lionsgate is wisely harnessing the rapper’s fanbase by opening All Eyez today.

There’s also a draw at the weekend box office between Entertainment Studios’ 47 Meters Down and Sony’s Rough Night which are each looking at between $10M-$11M over three-days per industry estimates. The Mandy Moore-Claire Holt-Matthew Modine shark thriller is slightly ahead of the Scarlett Johansson romp film, $4.25M to $4M today. 47 Meters Down made more than Rough Night last night, $735K to $700K, and those figures are rolled into both titles opening day figures. Reviews for 47 Meters Down have settled down in the 54% Rotten range. 47 Meters Down has the added benefit of being a PG-13 genre film, which is an easy grab for those younger women who may not be able to get into Rough Night auditoriums.
Would be excellent for All Eyez, but I'm a little skeptical since it will certainly be very frontloadex.

47 Meters Down must have had a focused campaign somewhere that I didn't notice. That, or people are just really starved for a horror film right now.

mreddie

Would be insane if Down made it to the top 5, it's production is really funny. Not the movie making itself but after it was finished.

Meier

I can't believe Rough Night is going to bomb so badly. They really dropped the ball on advertising it -- I saw nothing basically. It's at 49% on RT so it's at least relatively decent.. should be a $20m movie at a minimum with that cast.

Schlorgan

Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987

Other releases included:
I would be okay with this being a monthly thing from now on.

kswiston

Rough Night is having trouble beating a shark film that was supposed to be a Direct-to-video release...

I bet Scarlett is glad to have an Avengers film next spring!

$37.5M for Wonder Woman would be a 36% drop.

Also, industry trackers always sleep on films that appeal to the African American market.

FoneBone

Predator - June 12, 1987
Roxanne - June 19, 1987

Other releases included:

And both Harry and the Hendersons and Predator co-starred Kevin Peter Hall in costume.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Rough Night is having trouble beating a shark film that was supposed to be a Direct-to-video release...

I bet Scarlett is glad to have an Avengers film next spring!

$37.5M for Wonder Woman would be a 36% drop.

Also, industry trackers always sleep on films that appeal to the African American market.

Dem WW legs...

kswiston

I would be okay with this being a monthly thing from now on.

I guess we could look at more recent decades for the Bronsons out there

June 1997 - 20 years ago

Con-Air - June 6, 1997
Speed 2: Cruise Control - June 13, 1997
Batman and Robin - June 20, 1997
My Best Friend's Wedding - June 20, 1997
Disney's Hercules - June 27, 1997
Face/Off - June 27, 1997

June 2007 - 10 years ago

Knocked Up - June 1, 2007
Hostel 2 - June 8, 2007
Ocean's Thirteen - June 8. 2007
Surf's Up - June 8, 2007
Fantastic Four - June 15, 2007
1408 - June 22, 2007
Evan Almighty - June 22, 2007
Live Free or Die Hard - June 27, 2007
Ratatouille - June 29, 2007

ZeoVGM

Banned
I can't believe Rough Night is going to bomb so badly. They really dropped the ball on advertising it -- I saw nothing basically. It's at 49% on RT so it's at least relatively decent.. should be a $20m movie at a minimum with that cast.

Marketing has been terrible for it. I feel like this could have been a solid hit otherwise.

The studio made a point to keep this film on a low, strict budget with an estimated cost of $20M with a thrifty digital P&A spend.

Looks like Sony wanted to keep Rough Night's cost as low as possible. I don't think thrifty should ever describe advertising.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Man. Live Free or Die Hard is a great movie but June '87 beats '07 and especially '97 handily.

High five on the Live Free or Die Hard love.

Part of me hopes that Bruce does one more Die Hard to make up for the last one, which is really the only bad one in the series.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I saw a few ads about a month ago, but nothing leading up too it. They could have had another Bad Moms

Yep, there is definitely a market out there for it. I still might see it this weekend if I have a chance as I love the cast.

But at least at a $20m budget, I don't think it will be considered some sort of huge flop. That's a small budget and marketing was few and far between.

Speaking of Tom Cruise, how was The Edge of Tomorrow? I read the manga recently and it made me curious about the movie, I kinda forgot about it lol, went a bit under the radar for me at the time.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I guess we could look at more recent decades for the Bronsons out there

June 1997 - 20 years ago

Con-Air - June 6, 1997
Speed 2: Cruise Control - June 13, 1997
Batman and Robin - June 20, 1997
My Best Friend's Wedding - June 20, 1997
Disney's Hercules - June 27, 1997
Face/Off - June 27, 1997

June 2007 - 10 years ago

Knocked Up - June 1, 2007
Hostel 2 - June 8, 2007
Ocean's Thirteen - June 8. 2007
Surf's Up - June 8, 2007
Fantastic Four - June 15, 2007
1408 - June 22, 2007
Evan Almighty - June 22, 2007
Live Free or Die Hard - June 27, 2007
Ratatouille - June 29, 2007
Damn, Speed 2 and Batman & Robin barely a week apart.
Truly the darkest June.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Speaking of Tom Cruise, how was The Edge of Tomorrow? I read the manga recently and it made me curious about the movie, I kinda forgot about it lol, went a bit under the radar for me at the time.

Edge of Tomorrow is top tier Cruise entertainment, you should watch it.

sirap

Edge of Tomorrow was amazing. Probably the best Cruise movie this decade.

Top Bottom