• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

fox is already scrambling to cook up some dumb x men in space movie

Eeeh that has nothing to do with Guardians. A big part of the canon Dark Phoenix Saga literally happens in space.

I really dont see the impact of Guardians. Maybe because it represented the possibility of smaller Marvel franchises becoming big successes, but that kind of already happened with Iron Man.

BumRush

Eeeh that has nothing to do with Guardians. A big part of the canon Dark Phoenix Saga literally happens on space.

I really dont see the impact of Guardians. Maybe because it represented the possibility of smaller Marvel franchises becoming big successes, but that kind of already happened with Iron Man.

Guardians made it okay to have a superhero action movie that was effectively a comedy first, action film second. We could argue whether or not that's been done before but the success was unprecedented. The tone of GotG 1 is present - to some extent - in every Marvel film since

kswiston

Hopefully we find out and get that with JL.

Not holding my breath though :/

I think that a well reviewed BvS could have added another $100M or so to its domestic take. I also think that Wonder Woman has a lot more going for it than just great reviews.

firelogic

Guardians made it okay to have a superhero action movie that was effectively a comedy first, action film second. We could argue whether or not that's been done before but the success was unprecedented. The tone of GotG 1 is present - to some extent - in every Marvel film since

I think the tone of Guardians was in every MCU movie prior to it. It leaned more heavily on the comedy because of Pratt but it wasn't a big departure from what we were used to.

BumRush

I think the tone of Guardians was in every MCU movie prior to it. It leaned more heavily on the comedy because of Pratt but it wasn't a big departure from what we were used to.

When I say that I mean comedy first, action second. Other marvel films had humorous quips, scenes, etc, but none but comedy at the forefront

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

i think gotg will continue to be comedy / character first, action second but that tone has existed in every MCU movie from IM

They'll be fine as long as they don't have funny dick or reproduction jokes

Wonder Woman already did that

wonder woman had a pretty terrific dick joke

Eeeh that has nothing to do with Guardians. A big part of the canon Dark Phoenix Saga literally happens on space.

i mean the guy who is directing it wrote the last dark phoenix movie and featured 0 space

fox is doing great things with logan & deadpool but i cant help but feel this new shiar push is influenced by the success of mcu cosmic

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Before Guardians, bringing the Shair to meet the X-Men would be unthinkable.
GotG was a gamechanger for how weird Superhero movies can get.

kswiston

wonder woman had a pretty terrific dick joke

Plus several reproduction jokes.

Wonder woman was closer to the Captain America end of the quip scale than it is to the GotG end, but it was basically the same light-hearted humor filled first half and more action-packed second half formula that a lot of Marvel films use. The major difference is that Marvel films have a bad tendency to undercut the menace of their main villains via awkwardly timed joke banter. At least outside the Captain America films, which mostly avoid that. I give the Guardians films a pass, since they go for a more comedic feel, but Doctor Strange and Age of Ultron both would have benefitted from a few cut jokes.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Plus several reproduction jokes.

Wonder woman was closer to the Captain America end of the quip scale than it is to the GotG end, but it was basically the same light-hearted humor filled first half and more action-packed second half formula that a lot of Marvel films use. The major difference is that Marvel films have a bad tendency to undercut the menace of their main villains via awkwardly timed joke banter. At least outside the Captain America films, which mostly avoid that. I give the Guardians films a pass, since they go for a more comedic feel, but Doctor Strange and Age of Ultron both would have benefitted from a few cut jokes.

I'm so thankful they let Steve's big scene play out with no jokes.

AV Club posted a spoiler article for 47 Meters Down.

I kinda want to see the movie just to see the audience's reaction to that.

LOL the brass balls to try such a maneuver

I'm so thankful they let Steve's big scene play out with no jokes.

'We'll take it slow! I wouldn't want to step on your balls-*BSSSSSST*'

Or *Bucky stares at Cap lovingly for five minutes*

Or *Iron Man dies because Cap took out the battery and there's some shrapnel left*

DeathyBoy

Banned

'We'll take it slow! I wouldn't want to step on your balls-*BSSSSSST*'

Or *Bucky stares at Cap lovingly for five minutes*

Or *Iron Man dies because Cap took out the battery and there's some shrapnel left*

I'd have given Civil War five stars if Cap killed Stark then had a breakdown over it.

Whatever endgame they have for Tony dying probably couldn't top that

And it'd make more sense as to why he Unibeam'd Bucky's arm into oblivion

DeathyBoy

Banned
Whatever endgame they have for Tony dying probably couldn't top that

And it'd make more sense as to why he Unibeam'd Bucky's arm into oblivion

I'd also have been cool with
War Machine splattering on the ground and exploding.

I don't think my Civil War would've made a billion...

kswiston

China isn't going to save Alien: Covenant.

This weekend is looking like maybe $30M, and it has Transformers 5 coming out in a week.

$50M total is probably optimistic.

Solo

Does Wonder Woman represent the beginning of a new era for comic book movies?

The eras/big milestones are (as I see them):

Superman (1979)
Batman (1989)
Spider-Man (2002)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Avengers (2012)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Is Wonder Woman a milestone comic book film that changes the landscape going forward the way these ones did?

Probably way too soon to tell, but it's something I've been thinking about looking at the success it's had.

I don't think so.

It'd be more like Superman (for being the first mega hit), Batman 89 (for being an iconic classic), X-Men (Raimi's Spider-Man likely doesn't exist without X-Men), The Dark Knight (for the paradigm shift towards solid storytelling and realism), and maybe The Avengers (for successfully pulling off the multiple film lead-up).

I'd argue that Singer's X-Men in 2000, while a pretty middling/poor film in its own right, is maybe the most important comic book movie ever made. Without its success, the floodgates don't open like they did. 2 years later Spider-Man became a juggernaut. Here we are 17 years later and there is no stopping this train.

kswiston

(Raimi's Spider-Man likely doesn't exist without X-Men)

This is a huge stretch. Raimi was attached to Spider-Man in January 2000, and Spider-Man started filming in January 2001 (6 months after X-Men released). Originally, Spider-Man was going to be a late 2001 film (with filming starting in Nov 2000), but it was delayed by a few months.

Solo

This is a huge stretch. Raimi was attached to Spider-Man in January 2000, and Spider-Man started filming in January 2001 (6 months after X-Men released).

Oh yeah? Then I'd be wrong on that point.

But I'd still keep my list as it was. I think X-Men being a hit cannot be overstated in terms of where we are now.

MisterHero

Oh yeah? Then I'd be wrong on that point.

But I'd still keep my list as it was. I think X-Men being a hit cannot be overstated in terms of where we are now.

wiki said:
On its opening weekend in North America, X-Men earned $54,471,475 in its opening weekend, a record for comic book films that far.[63] The film eventually grossed $157,299,717 and made $139,039,810 in other countries, coming to a worldwide total of $296,339,527.[

Yeah it's amazing how far we've come. I don't think it made quite as much as Superman 78 or Batman 89, but now the genre is way more common and swinging for a 3/4ths to a full billion+ now.

Schlorgan

I consider Spider-Man to be the big coming back for CBMs over X-Men, mostly because of its (even by today's standards) ridiculous $400m domestic gross ($820m WW).

kswiston

Yeah it's amazing how far we've come. I don't think it made quite as much as Superman 78 or Batman 89, but now the genre is way more common and swinging for a 3/4ths to a full billion+ now.

If you go back to my superhero film comparison post from earlier in the thread, you can see that the first X-Men film actually wasn't all that popular in the larger history of the genre:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240206528&postcount=242

It was about on par with Doctor Strange. Spider-man was one of the most popular films of that entire decade (across all genres), especially in the domestic market. The only films that were notably bigger than Spider-Man domestically in the 00s were Avatar and the Dark Knight.

MisterHero

If you go back to my superhero film comparison post from earlier in the thread, you can see that the first X-Men film actually wasn't all that popular in the larger history of the genre:

It was about on par with Doctor Strange. Spider-man was one of the most popular films of that entire decade, especially in the domestic market.
Nice chart.

I just remember it set an opening weekend record for the genre, so it was big in that regard.

kswiston

Nice chart.

I just remember it set an opening weekend record for the genre, so it was big in that regard.

Not counting inflation, Spider-Man was the third film to hit $400M domestic in its original run (after Titanic and The Phantom Menace). Star Wars and E.T. were also past $400M at the time, thanks to their 1997 and 2002 re-releases respectively.

Before Spider-Man opened to $115M, the opening record for a superhero film was actually X-Men's $54M and change. Setting the opening record for the genre is a bit of an understatement :p

Solo

It was about on par with Doctor Strange. Spider-man was one of the most popular films of that entire decade (across all genres), especially in the domestic market. The only films that were notably bigger than Spider-Man domestically in the 00s were Avatar and the Dark Knight.

I wasn't using X-Men as a launchpad/barometer box office-wise so much as I meant that it was really the first serious take on a well known comic IP since B89, and it was critically and financially a proof of concept that the audience was there for these kind of movies. Then of course Spider-Man blows the doors off and the rest is history.

Oh my Goooooood

This is GENIUS

Other spoiler articles say she is ultimately rescued, but still hallucinating. Don't know why AVC forgot that.

The movie 's wiki is interesting:

Original distributor Dimension Films had initially set a North American DVD and VOD release date for August 2, 2016. However, on July 25, Variety reported that Dimension had sold the rights to Entertainment Studios. Entertainment Studios cancelled the August 2 home release and will instead release the film theatrically in the United States on June 16, 2017. The working title for the film was 47 Meters Down, which Dimension had changed to In the Deep for their home release, but Entertainment Studios have reverted to the original title.

So this wasn't even supposed to release in theaters, at least in America.

LosDaddie

Banned
I did my part for Wondy.

I took my daughter to watch it on opening weekend, and I went with a few coworkers last weekend to see it again.

Still very fun. Jenkins deserves all the success.

kswiston

My wife now wants to see Wonder Woman after telling me she didn't care about missing it when I went on opening night. So, I guess I am going again.

The last time that I paid for a film twice was in 2012.

GhaleonEB

My wife now wants to see Wonder Woman after telling me she didn't care about missing it when I went on opening night. So, I guess I am going again.

I liked it even more on the second go. Hopefully you enjoyed it enough to make for a good date night.
I'm going to see it again before it leaves theaters. By myself if I have to.

Anth0ny

This is why legs are so strong for the film. The word of mouth will keep hitting people who would normally never/rarely watch a superhero film.

kswiston

I liked it even more on the second go. Hopefully you enjoyed it enough to make for a good date night.
I'm going to see it again before it leaves theaters. By myself if I have to.

I liked it. I'm just not much of a repeat film watcher unless we're talking 5+ years later.

BumRush

I was supposed to go with my wife to guardians and see WW alone and after the reception WW is getting she asked me to switch

kswiston

We have a soon-to-be 3 year old and a 4 month old. Getting cinema time is way easier said than done​ lol

Your wife is a superstar to handle a preschooler and a 4 month old mostly solo last month while you were travelling for work.

I have a week of solo parent duty starting Wednesday (my wife has to go to Washington DC, and then to Alberta for work). That is plenty long enough. And that's minus a baby.

Slayven

Your wife is a superstar to handle a preschooler and a 4 month old mostly solo last month while you were travelling for work.

I have a week of solo parent duty starting Wednesday (my wife has to go to Washington DC, and then to Alberta for work). That is plenty long enough. And that's minus a baby.

If I meet her in DC can she smuggle me into Canada?

Top Bottom