• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wondy still kicking. Truly is an event film. Overheard someone at work strongly urging a coworker to go see it yesterday. This was someone in a demographic that totally surprised me.

Schlorgan

Does Wonder Woman represent the beginning of a new era for comic book movies?

The eras/big milestones are (as I see them):

Superman (1979)
Batman (1989)
Spider-Man (2002)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Avengers (2012)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Is Wonder Woman a milestone comic book film that changes the landscape going forward the way these ones did?

Probably way too soon to tell, but it's something I've been thinking about looking at the success it's had.

Cooter

What demographic was that?
An older Hispanic man probably in his 70s with very broken english. Didn't strike me as a superhero film fanatic. More so a female driven one because of some of his past old fashion comments about a womans 'place.'

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Green lantern was 2011.

I forgot about Lego Batman, but the Lego Movie didn't do all that well overseas either, so maybe that property was already more US centric. Plus, animation plays by its own rules.
Oh crap, I skimmed through the list and was pretty sure that was 2012.

And I also forgot about Lego Batman at first, I was sure it had done notably better OS than it ended up doing.

kswiston

Deadline, Boxoffice.com, etc are projecting a high 50s/low 60s opening for Cars 3, which would easily put it in first place this weekend.

Wonder Woman is expected to make about $35M this weekend, dropping ~40%

Deadline says that industry expectations for All Eyez on Me range from $15-22M this weekend.

Industry expectations for Rough Night have tumbled all the way down to $10-12M this weekend, with boxoffice.com expecting $15M.

GAF film of the week, 47 Meters Down, is expected to do less than $5M, despite the very wide opening.

BumRush

I've been traveling for work the last month so I haven't had the chance to go to the movies. My wife and I agreed we'd see WW together next week so I (finally) caught Guardians 2 last night.

I absolutely loved it. The music was amazing (a bit overused though) and the humor / drama / action mix was top notch. Also, it actually had a serviceable villain, which is rare for a Marvel film. I'm so happy I finally caught it as it's easily up there with the first and in my top 3-4 marvel films.

Now bring on Wonder Woman!!

Locally WW 3d is coming back to the IMAX and sharing with Cars 3 (in 2d). Lego Batman was IMAX 2d only here too. I wonder if that's going to become a thing.

I thought Rough Night was coming out in July. Scarlett's not having a good year.

kswiston

Early Wednesday estimate for Wonder Woman is $6.35M, down 28% from Tuesday

That's a very good hold. $35M this weekend will be an underestimate if the Friday bump is good.

kswiston

Wonder Woman now has the highest domestic total for a live action film by female director. One of the co-directors for Frozen was Jennifer Lee, so the overall record including animation isn't going to change.

Wonder Woman is also the #3 film of the year domestically as of yesterday, behind Beauty and the Beast and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

EDIT: Guardians 2 is also having much better than expected late legs. $390M domestic might happen if it can hold up in the next 3 weekends.

BumRush

EDIT: Guardians 2 is also having much better than expected late legs. $390M domestic might happen if it can hold up in the next 3 weekends.

Super anecdotal but I went to a 9:30 showing last night in downtown SF and there were probably 30 people in the theatre. I honestly expected to be the only one there.

witness

Early Wednesday estimate for Wonder Woman is $6.35M, down 28% from Tuesday

That's a very good hold. $35M this weekend will be an underestimate if the Friday bump is good.

Goddamn, that's a hell of a hold. How's the run looking now domestically? Should be able to overtake BvS?

kswiston

Goddamn, that's a hell of a hold. How's the run looking now domestically? Should be able to overtake BvS?

Ya, beating BvS is pretty much a lock. I think that we're moving on to under/over $350M now. That will depend on how Wonder Woman holds up against Transformers 5, Despicable Me 3, and Spider-Man Homecoming in the three consecutive weekends starting next week.

Prompto

Banned
Ya, beating BvS is pretty much a lock. I think that we're moving on to under/over $350M now. That will depend on how Wonder Woman holds up against Transformers 5, Despicable Me 3, and Spider-Man Homecoming in the three consecutive weekends starting next week.
You left out the box office juggernaut that is Baby Driver

Cooter

You were in SF Bum? Welcome to the best coast!

So Wondy... 750m an attainable goal? 725?

Penguin

Deadline, Boxoffice.com, etc are projecting a high 50s/low 60s opening for Cars 3, which would easily put it in first place this weekend.

Wonder Woman is expected to make about $35M this weekend, dropping ~40%

Deadline says that industry expectations for All Eyez on Me range from $15-22M this weekend.

Industry expectations for Rough Night have tumbled all the way down to $10-12M this weekend, with boxoffice.com expecting $15M.

GAF film of the week, 47 Meters Down, is expected to do less than $5M, despite the very wide opening.

Rough Night is reviewing better than I thought

Middling, but better than I thought. Curious to see, we've had a lot of really highly reviewed movies and a lot of poorly reviewed movies this year. Wonder what a middling film does at the box office. Like will this harm it more than Baywatch or will it just kind of chug along like a normal movie

Does Wonder Woman represent the beginning of a new era for comic book movies?

The eras/big milestones are (as I see them):

Superman (1979)
Batman (1989)
Spider-Man (2002)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Avengers (2012)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Is Wonder Woman a milestone comic book film that changes the landscape going forward the way these ones did?

Probably way too soon to tell, but it's something I've been thinking about looking at the success it's had.

I like Guardians and all, but would that really mark a new era? I don't really see that at all.

carlsojo

I'm totally down for a new era of superheroine/supervillainess movies.

Harley standalone movie? Why stop there? I'd watch a standalone film for *ALL* of Batman's rogue's gallery.

kswiston

So Wondy... 750m an attainable goal? 725?

"No" and "Maybe, but probably not" respectively.

Overseas is not keeping pace with the domestic gross.

EDIT: I should clarify that I mean in terms of weekly drops. Overseas has a few territories to add, so the percentage might inch a bit in its favor during the next week or two, but I think that the better drops domestically will see Wonder Woman making most of its late legs money in the US. Same as we currently are seeing with GotG2.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
WW should be able to coexist with Spider-Man the same way Guardians is doing well despite WW. We're getting that $350m domestic.

Penguin

It's kind of funny how most of the talking points, pro and con, before Wonder Woman still work.

Yes, it was the lowest opening film in the DCEU but will end up doing extremely well.

Yeah Wonder Woman isn't as big globally as Bats, Supes, Spidey, but a known quantity.

kswiston

WW should be able to coexist with Spider-Man the same way Guardians is doing well despite WW. We're getting that $350m domestic.

Guardians dropped 53% the weekend that Wonder Woman released. Memorial Day weekend inflated the previous weekend's Sunday by about $2M, so if we adjust for that, the drop would have been 48% in weekend #5. That was Guardians' biggest drop outside of its second weekend, and the second weekend drop was only slightly higher if you take out the Thursday previews from its opening. Around 50% down from the first weekend proper.

Wonder Woman still hurt GotG2, even if it could have been worse.

Wonder Woman will be somewhere around $270M after this weekend. Maybe slightly higher. It has a good shot at $350M, but it can't take too many high-40s/low-50s drops in a row.

Dinda

EDIT: I should clarify that I mean in terms of weekly drops. Overseas has a few territories to add, so the percentage might inch a bit in its favor during the next week or two, but I think that the better drops domestically will see Wonder Woman making most of its late legs money in the US. Same as we currently are seeing with GotG2.

You are probably right, but on the other hand, China already dropped like 68% or so the 1st week, while the overall international drop was in the low 50s if i heard right. Going by that shouldn't that actually bode well for the future drops? Since China isn't that big a part of the overall sum anymore (since it already dropped so much)

Just theorizing here. And i probably just remember the overall international drop wrong, which would make this all baseless anyway.....

kswiston

Chinese analysts and theatre exhibitors are expecting 3B+ RMB for Transformers 5. That would be around $440M USD using the current exchange rate.

Transformers 4 made just under 2B RMB in China, but rates were more favorable at the time, leading to a USD total of around $315M.

You are probably right, but on the other hand, China already dropped like 68% or so the 1st week, while the overall international drop was in the low 50s if i heard right. Going by that shouldn't that actually bode well for the future drops? Since China isn't that big a part of of the overall sum anymore (since it already dropped so much)

Just theorizing here.

France and a few other territories opened to offset the China drop. France alone opened to $5.1M, so the average drop among the non-China holdovers was still in the low 50s. Domestic dropped 43% last week in comparison, and this week could easily be in the mid to high 30s.

Overseas might not be having terrible drops, but it isn't getting amazing drops. And being a smaller film abroad will mean less staying power, as it is shoved out of the way for bigger releases. The US has a very high number of theatre screens per capita, so more films can coexist in the domestic market at once. Again, look at GotG2

3N16MA

Banned
Just imagine what a well reviewed BvS would have done.

Chinese analysts and theatre exhibitors are expecting 3B+ RMB for Transformers 5. That would be around $440M USD using the current exchange rate.

Transformers 4 made just under 2B RMB in China, but rates were more favorable at the time, leading to a USD total of around $315M.

China will keep it going forever. Amazing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How is WW doing compared to BvS in the timespan up to now?
Would be interested in seperated Domnestic/International numbers

kswiston

How is WW doing compared to BvS in the timespan up to now?
Would be interested in seperated Domnestic/International numbers

Domestic:

WW vs DCEU after 13 days
Wonder Woman: $228M
Man of Steel: $223M
Suicide Squad: $238M
Batman v Superman: $270M

Wonder Woman will pass Suicide Squad launch aligned this weekend.

Overseas

Man of Steel didn't have a worldwide launch, so it would be hard to compare the two outside of looking at the various territories. Wonder Woman is way behind Suicide Squad and BvS. Suicide Squad made $420M overseas without a Chinese release. Wonder Woman won't hit $400M overseas, even with $85M+ in China.

Top Bottom