• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thanks. So, the best superhero hold since 2002.

No. This is:

KgGfuDB.jpg

Fury451

Banned
Holy shit Tomb of the Dragon Emperor had a higher domestic opening that Cruise Mummy? I didn't even realize that movie made any money at all.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I can assure you Disney it paying very close attention to WW. And much of their fears that CM could fail just because she's a chick should be going out the window right now.

oh i bet they are, i just hope they are prepping to go full Cosmic A-Force on em after Avengers 4:

Captain Marvel
Valkyrie
Gamora
The Wasp
Black Widow
Scarlet Witch

it might be hard to write them all together, but if they start now they can easily lay the groundwork in WIP movies like Ant Man & The Wasp, Avengers 4 & Captain Marvel

Dinda

Good, bad, average, great? Gimme some perspective please.

Hehe, I'm not an expert, but it was pretty much what was expected? It's better than all of the other DCEU movies on their second Monday. So it is continuing to catch up to them.
It's also better than for example the second Monday for Guardians 2.

Radec

Just saw the Mummy. It was an okay flick, its hugely different than the previous Mummy movies.

Not sure what Russel Crowe supposed to be lol.

kswiston

Anyone think WW could hit $700 milly?

If it beats Dr. Strange then I can rest easy.

The crazy domestic run gives it a decent chance of doing that. This is going to be the most US-centric superhero performance since before the Avengers exploded and changed the overseas game.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Overseas audiences are still Marvel fanboys and girls. Wonder Woman might edge out Ant-Man, but that's probably about it unless you go back to the pre-Avengers films before Asia and Latin America blew up.
Not necessarily true for LatAm, as BvS did absurd numbers on OW in some countries in the region, and pretty good in the rest (I think its legs were shit everywhere though).
The case for WW in LatAm is mostly between soured viewers thanks to both BvS and Skwad, and the sadly still prevalent machismo in the region.
At least I did my part for WW, and dragged several people to see it.

Marvel should swoop in and steal the last Chris for the set and make him Richard Rider in a Nova film.
lol, if that were the case I can hear the fangirls going crazy after learning the character is nicknamed Dick Rider.

None of this even happens without Snyder. No Gadot, and a WW film itself probably still scheduled to release alongside Half Life 3 and Trump's tax returns.
*Insert TDK ending quote*

*Amazing post with numbers*
Brilliant.
This will be plenty useful :D

TFA's $540m domestic in 10 days is always going to be the craziest box office run ever to me.
I mean, it was impressive in sheer numbers, but Titanic is still king for me. It just kept going and going and going...
Everyone sprints and that did a marathon.

The crazy domestic run gives it a decent chance of doing that. This is going to be the most US-centric superhero performance since before the Avengers exploded and changed the overseas game.
Not quite, both Green Lantern and Lego Batman had over 50% of their gross in the US :p

kswiston

I went to see It Comes at Night. It was an interesting film, but my theatre's audience hated it. I can see why it scored that D on cinemascore. Some people laughed when it ended.

If you are looking for a horror film, or an action thriller, this isn't the movie.

Not quite, both Green Lantern and Lego Batman had over 50% of their gross in the US :p

Green lantern was 2011.

I forgot about Lego Batman, but the Lego Movie didn't do all that well overseas either, so maybe that property was already more US centric. Plus, animation plays by its own rules.

Mrbob

Gal Gadot going to get paid. DC going to have to lock her up long term. Wonder Woman is going to be the main pillar of the DC Universe now.

Bay, when you said it would be shorter, we thought you meant two hours tops.

This is going to be another slog like AoE...

His exact wording was:

Reports of #transformers The Last Knight being over 3hrs is wrong. It's shorter than the last 3 movies by a lot.

So by that logic:

Transformers - 2h 23m
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 2h 30m
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 2h 34m
Transformers: Age of Extinction - 2h 45m

He's pushing it a little bit, but he's technically not wrong.

His exact wording was:

So by that logic:

Transformers - 2h 23m
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 2h 30m
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 2h 34m
Transformers: Age of Extinction - 2h 45m

He's pushing it a little bit, but he's technically not wrong.

Dude, its shorter by ONE MINUTE...

Code:
Tue:  $8.5M   +35.57%
Wed:  $5.8M   -31.76%
Thu:  $5.3M    -8.62%
Fri:  $9.6M   +81.13%
Sat: $13.9M   +44.79%
Sun: $10.8M   -22.30%

3rd w/e: $34.3M  -41.39%
17 day: $266.5M

The weekend drop I'm giving Wonder Woman isn't much of an improvement over the prior one, but that's fine. The 2nd weekend decline was very abnormal for the genre, and often that means the next couple drops won't be much better if at all. The important takeaway with this "pessimistic" prediction would still be $10M higher than BvS's 3rd weekend, and the running total would be ahead of Suicide Squad at the same point ($262M).

edit: I'm not certain how well it will play on Father's Day. Actions films typically hold incredibly well on FD Sunday, but this appeals more to females than a typical action blockbuster.

Top Bottom