• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right I've bought two of the three level 50 skells I gotta buy. Fourth Party member I'll just give my old medium frame to.

Within the next 2-ish hours i should have enough for the third heavy type. Making 145K every 15 minutes has been great. I'm not even level 50 yet I'm just buying them now so I can get it out of the way, then sell every piece of equipment I'm not currently using for both skell and ground gear to get rid of clutter.

Step 2 is saving up again to buy every Skell the best equipment i want for it.

Jolkien

All right I've bought two of the three level 50 skells I gotta buy. Fourth Party member I'll just give my old medium frame to.

Within the next 2-ish hours i should have enough for the third heavy type. Making 145K every 15 minutes has been great. I'm not even level 50 yet I'm just buying them now so I can get it out of the way, then sell every piece of equipment I'm not currently using for both skell and ground gear to get rid of clutter.

Step 2 is saving up again to buy every Skell the best equipment i want for it.

Best store equipment is not really that expensive. At that point you farm Intergalactic drops. I recommend farming Puges in Sylvanum for G-Buster and Phoenixes Intergalactic.

rhandino

Banned
Chapter 5...
WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Ez9g0H7.jpg

Yeah I did

I'm not deep in the character stats systems, so I can't offer too much help there, but here are a few things to note about the main battle systems to pay attention to in the early game if you're switching from Xenoblade:

- Art colors are changed up a bit; red is generally assigned to melee arts, yellow to ranged arts, blue to Auras, green to buffs/healing, and purple to debuffs. It's good to give most characters a mix of many different kinds of arts.

- When a teammate calls out advice mid-battle, look at the color of the text box and use an art of the corresponding color to trigger Soul Voice. This will trigger a certain kind of effect (heal party members, topple enemies, etc.) depending on what the character called out. Your character will occasionally call things out for the other characters to respond to as well.

- Toppling is still a thing (briefly disables an enemy/allows you to do more damage), but it isn't assigned to an art color; look at the descriptions of each art to see which ones can topple. There's a related status effect called Stagger (similar to Break from the last game, can be inflicted by certain arts/Soul Voices) that makes it easier to topple enemies. There's no Daze equivalent this time around.

- You can destroy enemy appendages this time. There's a small circle gauge that appears next to enemies when you aim at them from certain angles. This shows how much damage it'll take to destroy that appendage. Destroyed enemy parts usually give you materials and sometimes weapons when you defeat the enemy.

- Switching targets is really wonky compared to the last game; I haven't figured out a way to get around this.

- The game really strongly encourages you to chain arts in certain ways this time around. When an art says it's boosted by being part of a melee/ranged "combo," it means the art will become more powerful when used as the follow-up to an art of the specified type.

- Each character has a class, with assigned ranged/melee weapon types for each class. Most characters start with a predetermined class, but you can switch your main character's class at any time, and there's a class tree for your character (with three main branches). You get different arts as you level up each class; some arts can be carried over between classes.

- You can (and should) level up arts. Go into the Party -> Arts menu and highlight any art icon with the cursor, then press X. You'll have to spend Battle Points (BP) to do this. It typically makes them stronger/extends the duration of their effects, just like in the old Xenoblade.

- You can also gain passive effects from boosting your classes, called Skills (similar to the Affinity Skill Trees from the last game) that can also be leveled up with BP (also by highlighting the skill's icon with the cursor and pressing X) to improve their effects. Make sure you stack all your characters with skills that are suited to their role in battle/the enemies you're up against.

- Augments replace Gems in this game. Most gear comes with its own preset augments (which can vary between each piece of gear, but can't be changed), but sometimes gear will have slots that you can add your own augments to. (Highlight the gear in the menu and press X.) You can also level up the augments attached to your gear by using up monster parts (letting you get Ranged Attack VI augments pretty early on instead of at endgame/only by using the gem furnace like in the first game).

- In general I've noticed that preset augments will often offer boosts that outweigh the standard stats benefits that come with equipping higher tier gear, although this might not be so prevalent once I get gear with more slots/more augments to stick in those slots.

Those were most of the huge adjustments to the battle mechanics for me. I'm still not really that concerned with lots of the stats (I don't even know what Potential does atm honestly) but if I run into a major difficulty wall I'll start prying open the hood like I did in the first game.

edit:

1. Make use of secondary cooldowns. On the art screen you can see what effects the secondary cooldown has. Usually it increases damage/ effect, lets you use it again immediately, or other stuff.

You can spot this by looking for a green circle bar that fills in once an art is available to use. It'll usually only fill while you're auto-attacking using the weapon of the corresponding type (melee or ranged).

Gotchaye

Could someone outline a simple late-game Overload setup that doesn't require too much crafting, if such a thing is possible? I don't want to take the time to experiment to figure out how this works.

I figured Dual Guns have a bunch of TP generation and Longswords are pretty good, plus I have a really strong one from a quest. I bought a bunch of Overload: TP Up armor from the shop. I've got the skill that gives +duration to Overload equipped. I figure you want Violent Streak, that green Critical Power art, and then a bunch of multi-hit arts. I played around with it a bit and sometimes did hundreds of thousands of damage and sometimes a lot less. It took a while and several rotations into Overload to kill Yama the tyrant Sylooth in Noctilim. I went and tried a Time Attack against the final boss and got destroyed - the build was not very survivable. Any quick tips?

rhandino

Banned
With all the talk about chapter 5 I was expecting a bigger twist. Didn't help that the "I lost my arm, I'm surprised cause I didn't know I was a robot" is a big scene in another JRPG
I see...
Maybe it took me by surprise because after some comments at the end of chapter 4 I kind of expected something like the Lifehold hosting something like souls, clones lol or at least something like BLADEs are robots at the service of real people that are sleeping in the Lifehold.

Ummm, that would explain the eyes design in the character creator.

It also helped that the scene was greatly shot and one of the very few times I saw my character react to anything.

Fishious

I'm on chapter three and the battle and character growth systems still confuse me. Any pointers? Read the manual and still a little lost.

There's a lot (which is why I assume you're confused), but I'll try.

Progression:
1. Each of your party members has a character level and a class level. There's also BLADE level, but this doesn't impact combat. Your character becomes more powerful as they level and can equip higher leveled gear. Raising class level lets you learn new arts and skills.
2. Earn BP. You earn BP by doing lots of stuff like opening treasure, doing missions, etc. Spend BP on arts and skills to increase their effectiveness and reduce cooldowns. Make sure you level up the arts & skills you use the most.
3. Optimize equipment. Don't use the auto equip best function, it's terrible. What abilities are attached to each weapon make a huge different. Each piece of equipment can be upgraded a total # of times based on it's rarity. The info screen will show how many upgrades remain. If the equip has an empty slot you can slot augments into it.
4. 10 is the max class level for player characters. At this point you should move on to another class. Arts are tied to weapons so you won't be able to use Repair (a drifter knife art) unless you move into Enforcer. And once that's maxed you'll need to move to Psycorrupter to keep using the Drifter and Enforcer knife skills. So each time you max a class you need to consider what you'll lose by switching. However once you complete a full branch (in this case Drifter>Enforcer>Psycorrputer>Mastermind) you'll be able to use that class's weapons (and by extension arts) with any other. So the eventual goal is to mix and match arts and skills from different classes to optimize your build.

Combat:
1. Make use of secondary cooldowns. On the art screen you can see what effects the secondary cooldown has. Usually it increases damage/ effect, lets you use it again immediately, or other stuff.
2. Make use of multipliers. Many damage multipliers seem to be multiplicative so stack as many as possible. If you've got arts that are melee/ranged combos, follow up with the correct art type that has a high % scaling.
3. Make use of soul voices. As the player you can customize your loadout a bit, but NPCs have set soul voices. This isn't as critical as some of the other advice, but try to select characters you can respond to well. As in, if you're going melee don't use someone that has largely ranged soul voices. And while activation is somewhat random, they usually trigger on specific occasions like someone's health getting low or breaking a bodypart. If you know what triggers them, you're more likely to react in time. And sometimes when things line up perfectly you can stack other mulitpliers with a soul voice.
4. Position yourself around the sides or back of the enemy for greater effectiveness.
5. Break enemy body parts. This not only gives you a chance for more or specific drops, it also can prevent enemies from using certain arts and can trigger a soul challenge.

That's what I can think off from the top of my head. I'm playing a Galactic Knight so most of my insight is from that perspective, as in I'm all melee and live and die by the crazy damage spikes my combos can do.

Ferrio

Banned
I see...
Maybe it took me by surprise because after some comments at the end of chapter 4 I kind of expected something like the Lifehold hosting something like souls or even clones lol not the full original person and my character being a robot...

Ummm, that would explain the eyes design in the character creator.

It also helped that the scene was greatly shot and one of the very few times I saw my character react to anything.

My character would of never saved tatsu. Oh well least being a robot means we can use the character creator to redesign our character at any time.

Chapter 8 now and I have to say, Elma is such a great character! She's been serving some serious badass Samus Aran vibes since the start of the game.

U736qtR.jpg

Zekes!

Regarding Light/Medium/Heavy Skells

It seems like people advise to just go for Heavy Skells, but I've noticed that the lighter Skells have much higher evasion and that seems to be a selling point to me. Maybe it's a null point if you can jack up the evasion on the heavier models, but that's what made me go with two medium Skells, which I have boosted the evasion of even further.

Best store equipment is not really that expensive. At that point you farm Intergalactic drops. I recommend farming Puges in Sylvanum for G-Buster and Phoenixes Intergalactic.

I've heard good things, but the last thing I want to do right now is more grinding. I'm buying all of these for end-game ish. Basically I'll finish the main story and do whatever normal/affinity mission I still feel like doing and call it a day for the game.

Yes. If you wanna know how (not a story spoilers)
It's L affinity quest that opens it. It costr Miranium to open slots. And the number of slots is tied to the quality of the equipment.
I don't remember it being an affinity mission, since I never used L in the game. It's actually a normal mission that requires you to reach a survey rate of 30% in Oblivia, then finding a few materials before the store is open.

MrPanic

By the way, anybody know if there is other version if Alexa body wear in the game ? I can't seem to find any

Isn't it called regular BLADE wear? I'll check for you ones my WiiU starts up.

edit: Checked it, BLADE wear is the regular version of what Alexa wears.

Ferrio

Banned
So how does announce thing with the keyboard work? I thought it auto generates messages based on what you're doing? Always blank when I push it.

Zomba13

Just finished it. I guess I still have a bunch of missions and post game stuff to do but I'm done with the story.

(spoilers contain spoilers for Chapter 12)

I didn't enjoy the story as much as XB. The characters weren't as good, maybe due to the fact that some are optional and how some are restricted on certain missions. Only Elma and Lin were really fleshed out.
And even then I never really got why she cared for Lao so much. They could have fleshed it out into a father/daughter thing but didn't. She just cared about him and didn't want him hurt just because and he cared for her just because. I guess he is reminded of his daughter.

There are also a bunch of things that just go unanswered.
Why did the Telethia save us? Are Telethias special in this game like XB or was it just a hungry dragonbird?
What is going on with Mira? Why did so many species crash land here?
What was up with Goetia and the little one and big one? Were they just random foot soldiers who died when their mechs blew up? Seems a waste to make cool characters like that and do nothing with them.
What exactly are the Samaar?
Who was the other race the Ganglion were fighting? Was it Elma's race and they were trying to buy time for humanity?
They mention a few times of there being someone else, like Elma was one of the first to hop in a skell and fight during the war or something and then they mention there was someone else but then they just drop it.
What are those ones with names like MLR223-someword? They look like human females and might be some kind of mim?

I like the game a lot, I've put in around 75 hours (oh god) but I still prefer XB. It had a better plot, better characters, more unique world (Mira is amazing and beautiful BUT it's not two titans, one biological, one mechanical, frozen in the final moments of an epic battle) and I feel I liked the combat better but that might just be memory. I seem to remember the stuff with coloured attacks being different effects and you chain them (like stagger -> topple) and get bonuses and stuff (Also "Born in a world of strife! Against the odds!" etc).

I absolutely prefer the side content in this game though. The side missions and affinity missions do a good job of fleshing out the world and characters, not just party members but seemingly random people you normally wouldn't care about in any other game. And planting probes and exploring is good fun that changes the further into the game you are thanks to Skells and flight. Still not a fan of the "kill x thing" "collect x drop" "find x collectible" stuff, especially when it isn't marked on a map. Not asking for easy mode handholding, just like, collectibles will be green or something in the area where one you need is, or marking enemies that drop what you need for a quest. They do mark enemies sometimes when you need to kill a specific type or tyrant but I want more.

Then there is stuff with the UI, it's kinda insane. You get a lot of menus and options and that is great BUT the text is tiny for certain elements and it's missing basic options like audio mixing. I want to lower the music and raise the dialouge in cutscenes. And there is shit with characters not levelling together. I can't remember how it was in XB but I think they did? At least they were with you all the time (I think?). At least battle points collect when you aren't using them.

I think the custom character hurt the game a bit in that we aren't a character at all. We make some choices at some points that do affect side missions but we have no personality and are sometimes forced to do actions in cutscenes that we might not make given the choice (
no, I don't want to stand with Lin. I want to stand with Elma and point my massive laser at Lao. It could still play out the same way and then make me feel bad for my choice.
). I do understand why we couldn't be Elma though as she is an establish character who has her own backstory and secrets that wouldn't make sense for us to be her (I mean, at least with Shulk he didn't know them so it worked).

Also this has to get a sequel right? Like a direct sequel? No way they are just leaving it on database destroyed, we should have died when we crashed, Mira is magic, Lao and cloak man on beach vacation.

EDIT: Also holy shit at some of those post game Skell Super Weapons. Jesus. Those names.

gogogow

Can someone please explain how to use the Frontiernav to get certain items?

A mission from Kristy is to get 5 Aurorites by using the Frontiernav, but how?

KarmaCow

Title please! Spoiler tag if necessary

I don't remember the name but (post chapter 10 spoilers)
after you form an alliance with the Wrothians in the optional Prospective Partners affinity mission, actually run back to the barracks and someone should stop you and ask for your help.

MrPanic

On the map, some probe spots have mine-able resources. Just look for one that gives Aurorites and put a mine probe on it.

boxter432

Mining probes mine items...when you click on an FN site, it says what items are available.

at least I think...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I don't remember the name but
after you form an alliance with the Wrothians, actually run back to the barracks and someone should stop you and ask for your help.
God I am not leveled enough to do that quest... so I need to wait...

Trying to level it up now to get them

Okay, two questions if you guys can help me:

1. Anyone have art/skill suggestions for Irina? Shes seems awesome, but I don't know what to use with her. Are the healing arts actually worth it?

2. What is the item on the right side of the gamepad that looks like a document? its under the keyboard button

Is it possible to beat the game with level 30 Skells or is 50 pretty much required? Just curious because I can accept the final mission now, but I'm only 46.

I don't know if it's possible to get stuck in the final areas and not be able to leave and get a new Skell if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom