• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. In particular, flat Attack bonuses are huge, especially for low-power weapons early on.

The number of augment slots, weapon damage type, and max upgrades are more important than the weapon's base stats. If you find a good rare item (with 3-5 augments) and attach an attack bonus to it, you'll outdamage weapons in that tier for a good 20 levels at least, when compared against items of higher level but lesser rarity.

Essentially, Augments are the reason to use equipment. So always pay attention to an item's augments first, and everything else second, when deciding what to do with it.

Makes sense! When you go to auto equip best weapons/armour does the game take this into account or is it better to equip manually?

NeonZ

I still don't think I can select the target. Where is she exactly?

It's a different quest that appears at that point, not the one that led you there. Anyway, she appears in the south of that bay (north of the cave).

nothing happens. yall need to remember the game has very little choice except for "do any of the above to complete"

you are forced to go with the choice you chose first.

Sometimes those normal quests do have relevant choices - they basically never result in losing gameplay though. For example, if an npc can die or be saved, it's generally because they won't do anything important afterwards - like in the helicopter repair quest
whether you successfully fix it and avoids the accident or not, you'll get the prize either way, and the npc surviving or dying won't have any effect outside of different conversations
).

So, in that specific case, since being rejected would result in a plain loss,
since the contract wouldn't be made, the other choices are all failures for one reason or another, but the player still ends up with the pizza left as a choice doesn't matter how many mistakes they make.

StAidan

So how do these scenic overlooks or whatever work? Based on stuff I read early in the thread (and in the game, I think), I assumed these were just certain FrontierNav sites, but some posts over the last couple pages make it sound like they are separate from the probe-planting sites. If that's the case, does the game tell you when you find one?

KarmaCow

So how do these scenic overlooks or whatever work? Based on stuff I read early in the thread (and in the game, I think), I assumed these were just certain FrontierNav sites, but some posts over the last couple pages make it sound like they are separate from the probe-planting sites. If that's the case, does the game tell you when you find one?

Yea there are special notifications for when you find one. You can tell if one is in the area because the probe site nearby will say how many are in the area. They significantly boost your money/tick when you put a research probe in the area.

One that most people will find naturally is in the first mission in Noctilum where you'll come out of a cave to see a body of water below.

JulianImp

Yup, you've got to actually visit scenic vistas to discover them and increase your research probes' income from that area.

What is the max AM upgrade level? 5?
Makes sense! When you go to auto equip best weapons/armour does the game take this into account or is it better to equip manually?

I've never used it but I really doubt it. For weapons it will probably work OK for flat damage bonuses, but equipment is more of a tossup because of all the resistance and aug considerations. For instance, one of my chars has 50% of their attack tied to the arm pieces and gaining 2-6 defense isn't worth giving that up.

Zalman

I haven't posted in this thread since I got the game, but I just want to say I'm in love with it. After MGS5 I thought I was sick of open world games, but Xenoblade X rekindled my love for them. The world is not only huge, but it's filled with things to do. It's very rare there's an area I find empty and boring. That's a remarkable achievement for such a big game.

The characters are memorable, and the music is still fantastic. I don't think the game is as charming as the first in terms of presentation and music, but gameplay-wise I do think I prefer this one.

Oh, and also, the GamePad is amazing in this game. Whenever they inevitably rerelease it on a future platform, I sure hope the GamePad will be compatible. It makes the game play so much better.

StAidan

Yea there are special notifications for when you find one. You can tell if one is in the area because the probe site nearby will say how many are in the area. They significantly boost your money/tick when you put a research probe in the area.

One that most people will find naturally is in the first mission in Noctilum where you'll come out of a cave to see a body of water below.

Oh, OK. I think I know which one you're talking about, I'm in the middle of that mission right now and am just about to reach it (if I'm right).

Thanks guys.

What is the max AM upgrade level? 5?

I've never used it but I really doubt it. For weapons it will probably work OK for flat damage bonuses, but equipment is more of a tossup because of all the resistance and aug considerations. For instance, one of my chars has 50% of their attack tied to the arm pieces and gaining 2-6 defense isn't worth giving that up.

What's an AM upgrade?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, they're forever gone, but I think the majority of the fashion gear have upgrades later that look the exact same, so if you wanted them for fashion reasons you should be okay. Like T-shirts, tank tops, hoodies, jeans, glasses, swimming gear, etc. later come as side-quest rewards in "Limited", "Upgraded", "Prime", "Ultra" etc. strengths.

I used to keep my fashion gear in my inventory "just in case" I wanted to switch things up later, but after I started getting stronger fashion gear I sold off the low-strength ones.

I think there are only a few fashion items (like kitty-cat ears or devil horns) that I haven't seen upgrades for.

Ahh all right.

Surely 999 armor won't fill up right?

So I missed my chance to scout Nyamo. Didn't realise changing squads would make it impossible.
7XOD6o4.jpg
RIP Nyamo. I will miss you.
Arms Manufacturer and yes it's 5. AFAIK, anything you upgrade is up to 5 unless stated otherwise.

Good tip, thanks.

Blues1990

I've been experimenting with Lin, and I find the skills of Shield Wall, Cool Off, Trash Talk, and Enhanced Stand are pretty effective for her build. What are the other arts should I add to her, in order to round her out? I was thinking of a few attacking arts for the Soul Voices, but I don't know which one is the most effective.

Edit: As for Elma, I have Shadow Strike, Hundred Shells, Electric Surge, Executioner, Blood Sacrifice, Shadow Runner, Side Slash. What other range attack should I have for the Soul Voice procs?

Bump.

Haunted

nothing happens. yall need to remember the game has very little choice except for "do any of the above to complete"

you are forced to go with the choice you chose first.
Though there are definitely quests where it does make some difference. The chopper quest is a good example, the one with the domesticated suid another.

You get a reward either way, so they're largely inconsequential in gameplay terms, but character affinities do end up being affected.

zroid

Banned
That cave at the edge of the land bridge en route to Sylvalum is such a PITA

the enemies aren't that strong (relative to my level at the time) but it's so hard to engage just one or two at a time without getting swarmed. Once I got aggro'd by like 10 enemies at once it was a nightmare.

KarmaCow

Though there are definitely quests where it does make some difference. The chopper quest is a good example.

You get a reward either way, but things do change.

But does it actually affect anything outside the quest itself? I don't think I ever saw those characters again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That cave at the edge of the land bridge en route to Sylvalum is such a PITA

the enemies aren't that strong (relative to my level at the time) but it's so hard to engage just one or two at a time without getting swarmed. Once I got aggro'd by like 10 enemies at once it was a nightmare.

I'm surprised that there aren't any quests sending you out there do to anything.

Evilkazz

Banned
FUCK THE GOLD RUSH QUEST

All I wanted was
5000000 credits to pay for a shiny level 50 skell before I do chapter 12

I actually was able to get a lvl 60 Skell before chapter 12. If you finish all of either alexa,Boze, or H.B's affinity quests you straight up get lvl 60 skells for free (just needs some materials). Grinding to lvl 60 before the post game is a bit annoying though it felt good streamrolling the last chapter when it used to give me a bit of trouble.

Haunted

The alien races being designed by a variety of artists people really explains the wildly different quality among them

The Good:
Kilrathi
Prone
Voltant addicts
Male Ganglion (mainly the big bad)
Orphe
whatever Rock is

-
Manon (actual design is fine, but fuck whoever thought the squirrely voices were acceptable)
Nopon (SHIT)
female Ganglion (mainly that squid lady)
Definian

I greatly prefer some of the alien designs over the real doll humans and humanoids.

Beats

Having two characters with Last Stand in your party is pretty good lol. Spend 1k TP to give everyone else 2k TP at the max level, but then the other party member that has it does the same. The AI almost always uses it right away when they have enough TP too.

Haunted

But does it actually affect anything outside the quest itself? I don't think I ever saw those characters again.
Well, the journey is the destination and all that.

I believe that things don't need to factor into a galactic readiness rating that's tallied at the end of a game to give your choices meaning. Things played out differently when you were doing them depending on your choices, and that already gave them meaning.

basic missions were such a missed opportunity. Almost none have actually good rewards.

what's my fucking incentive to go do all of this shit? Some shitty clothing items? Fuck that

aravuus

basic missions were such a missed opportunity. Almost none have actually good rewards.

what's my fucking incentive to go do all of this shit? Some shitty clothing items? Fuck that

Affinity. I guess.

But yeah, wish they gave better rewards. Same goes for all quests, kinda feels like none of them really gave you anything worthwhile? I want unique (and good) gear for doing missions

KarmaCow

Well, the journey is the destination and all that.

I believe that things don't need to factor into a galactic readiness rating that's tallied at the end of a game to give your choices meaning. Things played out differently when you were doing them depending on your choices, and that already gave them meaning.

I don't even mean that. There are quests where you can see the results afterwards like the xenophobic human being friends with the ma-non after a quest but it seems like anytime there is a choice that could change things, they telltale it so those characters no longer exist after the quest regardless.

Vena

I mean. This is extremely silly as far quips goes. They don't affect the game negatively nor are they mandatory. They have no negative affects and are just something one can do or use as a way to get clothes if they want. (Also free exp for gathering quests.)

They are pretty much auto-generated too so its not like dev time was spent on them. They also make finding tyrants very easy.

Making them like Normals would have required a lot of time and resources... so just more Normal missions. They are basic for a reason.

Haunted

The Gathering and non-Tyrant Bounty ones are literally just generic fetch quests.

No reason whatsoever to do any of them, imo.

aravuus

But the pets are awesome!

Should have included an option to interact with them =P

But can I take the cat to BATTLE? DIDN'T THINK SO

Taking an army of pets to battle would be cool tbh. They could work as, uh, cannon fodder I guess, pulling the enemy fire lol

JulianImp

The Gathering and non-Tyrant Bounty ones are literally just generic fetch quests.

No reason whatsoever to do any of them, imo.

They do themselves, anyway. I learned not to take up any gathering quests so that thay'd cycle more often, and just pick the ones I can fullfill as soon as I exit the mission board menu.

I agree that pets are nice, but I don't get where the heck they're supposed to be. Even a simple "call pet" command would've been nice, since I don't feel like looking all over the base to spot it.

Also, I think I've got a pet that has a name that sounds like it's neither a dog nor cat, but I don't know what it is since haven't managed to spot it yet.

brau

Hahaha, I love that XD

Its pretty neat that it pulls stats from everyone as tehy play the game.

I hope i can see more of this as i continue to play. I saw that you can join or interact with other people somehow. but its unclear yet.

Also, the grind in this game is intense. I thought i had grinded quite a bit but the current quests take me into some high level dangerous monster. Which i love! Tried to recover some lost dudes comms and is surrounded by these 3 fearsome puma looking monsters... and then there is a golden crown ginormous one running around that might join the battle and one shot me. hahaha i love that. Fighting some weak bug only to see a giant monster stroll by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom