• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

I haven't posted in this thread since I got the game, but I just want to say I'm in love with it. After MGS5 I thought I was sick of open world games, but Xenoblade X rekindled my love for them. The world is not only huge, but it's filled with things to do. It's very rare there's an area I find empty and boring. That's a remarkable achievement for such a big game.

I've been thinking of it in a similar way - obviously, the genre and structure are very different, but Xenoblade's handling of its open world is so much better, along with how the story and side content is integrated into it. NLA and Mother Base are also incomparable in terms of how relatively 'alive' they feel, with the latter being almost completely pointless.

Though I would have liked them to take influence from MGSV in one area - there's no option for a
butterfly emblem
in your barracks logos.

I don't get this "cool...for Nintendo" stuff. They've been pretty progressive for a long time now...

Different parts of the company have different track records. I was speaking more in terms of FE14's tone-deaf handling of LGBT characters, and the general state of anime writing, which influences XCX.

My special edition has finally arrived! I will finally get to play the game I've been anticipating most in 2015 (aside from Persona 5). It only took pretty much the entire year, but it's finally fucking mine!

NZerker12

Finished Chapter 11 that damn
Prog Ares
Has some hax my attacks kept missing, I ended up losing the first time round so I had to reload the save and beat it the second time. I was lv45 during the fight.

In terms of Chapter 12 what level is recommended and is a lv50 Skell required and if so what armour type is recommended?

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Super Weapon 60 on Frame 60 is longer/harder. They can one xshot every boss.

The final hyper rail or whatever its called deals maximum game damage. It will kill the 99 Telethia in a single shot.

It's the Zenith Cannon. As mentioned, Ares 90 is not the strongest. There are a few tyrants that it cannot kill in one shot. Ares 90 is not too hard to get. There is a guide that makes it easy and fast to obtain (I got mine in about 3/4 of a day).

ohlawd

fnally got to lvl 30. I can buy three of the 550k Skells for MC, Elma and Lin. 4th character can get the garbo skell. good plan? yes, no, maybe?

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Though I would have liked them to take influence from MGSV in one area - there's no option for a
butterfly emblem
in your barracks logos.

It's okay, I have the
Veerus Armor Girl Elma
logo in my barracks.

fnally got to lvl 30. I can buy three of the 550k Skells for MC, Elma and Lin. 4th character can get the garbo skell. good plan? yes, no, maybe?

Sounds good. There is no level 40 skell frame so you have plenty of time to get that fourth level 30 skell. Unless you're planning to rush to 50.

Parfait

It is really that bad? I feel like this game has finally made me accept that I hate boss fights. Every game I play with them always makes me feel like they are just gating the content I actually want to play.

God dammit I'm lvl42 and I was going to start Ch11...should I wait?

I defeated Ch10 boss with ""ease"" using my skells (dat battle tho).

the problem with chapter 12 is that it's a no-return zone. And there's no mechanic in place for you to repair your skells if you lose them. If you can keep them through the first boss entirely, the second fight is easy(with phoenix, at least), and the third fight is ok.

However, if you lose your skells, you're stuck on foot. So if you don't have a good ground gear/skillset, you'll get stuck and fustrated. The actual bosses themselves are really doable on foot, it's the middle fight that's a problem. It's a 10 pack of annoying shits that even with Lin taunting, took her out in about 10-15 seconds, even though she had about 12k hp. It took me about 15 tries to beat or so, and i found i had to absolutely spam all of my area attacks (using longsword) to beat it, instead of saving them for cooldown.

This set of fights? It's one of my very few complaints about this game.

At first I didnt give Lin any Skell. Her support arts works on Skell

Why would you be so cruel to Lin.

random25

After 50% of Oblivia, I started chapter 7. Took me like less than 10mins to finish the whole thing lol. I feel overpowered lmao.

Next stop: Sylvalum.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
After 50% of Oblivia, I started chapter 7. Took me like less than 10mins to finish the whole thing lol. I feel overpowered lmao.

Next stop: Sylvalum.

Yea, chapter 7 is a joke and feels like it wasn't balanced for skells. Beam weapons just tear through everything.

Mistle

Spent some time with normal missions and they just keep extending and I keep getting new ones and... I guess these are the sort of things that almost never end? lol. Half of them are actually quite good.

Is there any reason to do basic missions really? Other than maybe pets and such? There doesn't seem to really be story attached to them or anything, apart from the ones that lead you to a normal/affinity mission.

ohlawd

At first I didnt give Lin any Skell. Her support arts works on Skell
k guess I'll save money. I only have 2.1 mill. don't I gotta farm good equips for Skells too? man. I could use some more research and storage probes since all I have are for mining and I hit the cap often. this freaking game

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
k guess I'll save money. I only have 2.1 mill. don't I gotta farm good equips for Skells too? man. I could use some more research and storage probes since all I have are for mining and I hit the cap often. this freaking game

Save money for lvl 50 frames. They range between 2.1 mil - 4.6 mil.

Timeaisis

OK, so I'm maybe 6 hours or so in, maybe less. I got Tatsu and I did some sidequests after that. I'm trying to unlock the next story quest by doing some Probe quest that I got from some girl outside (which I had to look up where to find the quest, I was expecting it to be on the mission board).

I have my gripes with this game so far:
- I have no idea what missions I need to do and when I can do them. There's no sense of if missions are appropriate for my level or essential for story progression. And there are too many missions to count. The fact that some of them have to be done to unlock more story content makes little sense to me and I frequently have to check that particular mission by trying to start it and realizing I have to complete X mission first. It seems poorly organized.
- The story is dull, so far. The characters are OK but nothing to write home about. I do enjoy the premise and the world itself, but there's nothing that much to keep me playing.
- I was so lost last night as what to do next that I turned the game off. It doesn't seem like there's any sense of "this is what to do now" or anything like that. I could keep doing sidequests forever, I suppose, but those are essentially just kill x monster so I don't feel the need to waste my time.
- Way, way, way too many systems that they tell you nothing about. Maybe I'll learn to love them, but right now, they are just too much.

What I do like about the game is the combat and exploration. That is very fun.

I will say I don't know how I'll be able to play this game to completion, if this is all it is. Does it get better? Do quests get more interesting? Does it become more clear what your goals are? I hate to compare it to Fallout 4 because it's a completely different game, but the difference with sidequests in that game is they are usually at least a little interesting. Here, it just seems like everything is filler.

Maybe I'm just not far enough along yet. Here's hoping.

random25

Yea, chapter 7 is a joke and feels like it wasn't balanced for skells. Beam weapons just tear through everything.

Having 4 skells really made the fight fast. Not to mention I got just about every fast travel points to every key locations to instantly trigger the scenes. I think they shpuld have made it a skell mob fight instead of 1vs4. Maybe I just have too much skells at that point lol.

Parfait

OK, so I'm maybe 6 hours or so in, maybe less. I got Tatsu and I did some sidequests after that. I'm trying to unlock the next story quest by doing some Probe quest that I got from some girl outside (which I had to look up where to find the quest, I was expecting it to be on the mission board).

- I have no idea what missions I need to do and when I can do them. There's no sense of if missions are appropriate for my level or essential for story progression. And there are too many missions to count. The fact that some of them have to be done to unlock more story content makes little sense to me and I frequently have to check that particular mission by trying to start it and realizing I have to complete X mission first. It seems poorly organized.
- The story is dull, so far. The characters are OK but nothing to write home about. I do enjoy the premise and the world itself, but there's nothing that much to keep me playing.
- I was so lost last night as what to do next that I turned the game off. It doesn't seem like there's any sense of "this is what to do now" or anything like that. I could keep doing sidequests forever, I suppose, but those are essentially just kill x monster so I don't feel the need to waste my time.
- Way, way, way too many systems that they tell you nothing about. Maybe I'll learn to love them, but right now, they are just too much.

I will say I don't know how I'll be able to play this game to completion, if this is all it is. Does it get better? Do quests get more interesting? Does it become more clear what your goals are? I hate to compare it to Fallout 4 because it's a completely different game, but the difference with sidequests in that game is they are usually at least a little interesting. Here, it just seems like everything is filler.

There are basically 0 missions you can really miss. There are two that you can, but you have all the way up to like, chapter 10 to do them. Instead of feeling lost, go get lost and explore, read the manual, and enjoy the world. No hallways here yo.

brau

There are basically 0 missions you can really miss. There are two that you can, but you have all the way up to like, chapter 10 to do them. Instead of feeling lost, go get lost and explore, read the manual, and enjoy the world. No hallways here yo.

This!

I am just going and getting lost in the world. There is so much to see, and monsters to take on. Its lots of fun.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Having 4 skells really made the fight fast. Not to mention I got just about every fast travel points to every key locations to instantly trigger the scenes. I think they shpuld have made it a skell mob fight instead of 1vs4. Maybe I just have too much skells at that point lol.

I only had one skell at that point, I wasn't a high enough level to have one for everyone. Sounds like you were also overleved for the encounter.

There are some amazing normal missions. Story definitely suffers, but workd building is top notch. Also, don't bother with basic missions for the most prt except the social one (that point you to other normal missions), marry me, which is needed to start an affinity mission, and off the record which ups your field skill levels to 5. The rest just take the gathering ones when you already have the materials you'll need for an instant turn in

Chaos17

1. You've to understand there 4 types of quests :
- Blade quests, do them only when you've the items on you. They're basic fetch / kill quests that don't worth the effort to invest time into it unless you're bored.
- others quests, I've developped them over them > https://fanofxenobladex.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/tips-2-how-to-dig-into-the-lore-and-characters/

2. Story get better after that chapter but if you wanna know more about the world, characters and lore, you will have to do the side quests.

3. In this game it's you who decide of your OWN PACING ^___^

4. Most of the basics system are covered in the manual, for advanced stuff you will need to come here to ask but you don't really to know advanced stuff to advance in the game.

So to resume, in this game your maine focus will revolve around exploration, npcs, companions and finaly story missions.
Some of them wil need some pre-requise to unlock and some not.

Good luck and if you've a trouble we're here to help.

Spent some time with normal missions and they just keep extending and I keep getting new ones and... I guess these are the sort of things that almost never end? lol. Half of them are actually quite good.

Is there any reason to do basic missions really? Other than maybe pets and such? There doesn't seem to really be story attached to them or anything, apart from the ones that lead you to a normal/affinity mission.
Quick affinity and rewards when you take stuff you've already completed

20h in and I'm in chapter 4. I love exploring, such a refreshing feeling to discover new points of interest and places.

As for the story, it's a little dull for the moment, but I still have hope for it. I really enjoyed both story and gameplay of Xenoblade, so if the story is a bit lackluster compared to the excellent and improved gameplay, so be it.

random25

I only had one skell at that point, I wasn't a high enough level to have one for everyone. Sounds like you were also overleved for the encounter.

Probably yeah. And have a ton of cash to buy 5 lvl30 skell frames to share with the group. I've been trying to complete segments for Oblivia when I decided to go with the story chapter so I can see my team being overleveled.

Dineren

Banned
Can you use consumables in boss fights? I've gotten stuff like fully repair skells/your party and refueling consumables, but haven't really seen a point in using them. I was just thinking that maybe if you remove your target it would let you access them from the menu. Is that possible?

artsi

I'm having huge trouble finding some of those probe sites. I don't know if I suck or if they're all in some tricky caves.

h0tp0ck3t

Can you use consumables in boss fights? I've gotten stuff like fully repair skells/your party and refueling consumables, but haven't really seen a point in using them. I was just thinking that maybe if you remove your target it would let you access them from the menu. Is that possible?

They actually show up in the partner commands menu (or whatever you want to call it) in battle. If you press start then x a few times you'll see consumables

Qurupeke

Press + and then X and you should be able to access them.

Vena

Which normal mission can you miss?

Raide

Finally got 3 skell units for the team. Managed to save and buy the most expensive heavy unit for myself.

I am guessing I can give the lvl 28 to the 4th member if their under 30?

Dineren

Banned
In cutscenes where characters are using their Skells, do they use whatever Skell is assigned to that character or do they use predefined Skells?

Are there cutscenes where they use skells? I'm trying to think of some, but it seems like they are always on foot. Even the times where you are in a skell and initiate a cutscene.

I'm having huge trouble finding some of those probe sites. I don't know if I suck or if they're all in some tricky caves.

When you get close enough the red waypoint thing is visible, so try looking around. If you're on top of the area and still can't see it, it's probably above you, or, rarely, below. The Bird's Eye View cam might help.

The ones I've found hardest to conquer so far have been high up, on ledges that I have no idea how to get to.

Chaos17

Xenoblade Chronicles X: it stands for eXplore.

Embrace it.

You know, I've played many games and none made me feel happy when I was exploring them.

In XCX, I like to be able to climb a tree that will lead to upper level of the zone. Or when I found a little path that let me go on the other side of hill. It's a magical moment for me and I'm always grinning when I discover those. The level design just connect so much with each other.

I'm really bad at explaining it, lol
Maybe this picture will show it better...

tumblr_nzgs9uwu8N1s55i8ao1_1280.jpg

I came from down there, yeah from down there *_*

Yup, some can be in cave.
Yeah, that is vicious from the devs to do that, lol

So what are you all doing to get such high revenue?

I'm currently at 73K but I know so of you are get 140+ from an earlier point in the game. I know it has something to do with scenic sites but I get so confused when I see a segment with E in revenue but it has a sight seeing place.

Is there like a basic strategy I should be following?

Yes! In sylvanum, north west corner, there's a prob right next to some giant enemy crabs. They're level 50, and we're putting out around 2-5000exp for the level 30-40 kills (when a level needs around 7000exp -10000exp. An as they're right next to the probe it was just warp in, kill 4, warp in kill 4, repeat

Can you tell us the specific probe number? I'd love to give it a shot if I can.

That feel when you're tapped for your Skell License but it's past your bedtime.

I WAS SO CLOSE, GUYS.

Now I have to get through work.

I guess this is a good time to ask Skell questions. What's the difference between frame sizes outside of armor? I figured I'd get the big one for Lin and light or mediums for my PC and Elma. I like the light and medium frames better from a visual standpoint. Do I need to run around with all heavy frames?

no

nononononononononon

people who have finished the game

please tell me there's another part to the gold rush mission

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

I don't even care
about the gold
but nobody
fucks with me and lives to tell the tale

Vena

Yes it can!

Can't link this on mobile but I think kuroneko0509 knows where to find it :p

I know there's a few things that will give it trouble solo, I just don't know what they are. But maybe if you play it perfectly you can even beat them.

But it looks sleek as hell. (Inferior to Urban.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom