• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 announced, Summer 2016. PR: 3DS and Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wish i had a better memory so that I would've retained enough of VLR so as to really get hyped for ZE3.

I remember a lot of the game, maybe i'll read a wiki shortly before it comes out to keep me sharp.

Yeah I'm not getting a DS just for one game.

I'll look into the iphone port.

i didn't have a DS when the ios port came out so i played that instead. It's perfectly fine, sure there aren't any puzzles and the final "twist" loses a bit of its punch because of the game being on a different platform but if your options are to not experience 999 or to experience it through the ios novelization then the latter is better than nothing at all

i wish i had a better memory so that I would've retained enough of VLR so as to really get hyped for ZE3.

I remember a lot of the game, maybe i'll read a wiki shortly before it comes out to keep me sharp.

AFAIK a lot of people are planning to replay the games close to release. Why not wait for that and replay with GAF?

Xelinis

Maybe
Sigma fell for Diana but she turns out to be a psychopath, so thats why he creates Luna to be a genuinely nice, warm person. Looks like Diana, none of her imperfections

Keep in mind that,
if you're following the timeline of Sigma's consciousness, he doesn't actually meet Diana until AFTER the Mars Site. After VLR, Young Sigma wakes up after the Mars Site Nonary Game is finished in a Failed timeline. He then travels to the moon to start working on the Ambidex Game as well as the Radical-6 cure. According to Uchikoshi, Sigma first meets the real Diana when she visits him Rhizome 9, probably sent by Crash Keys. Together, and also armed with his memories from VLR, they design Luna.

Point is, from the perspective of Sigma's consciousness, he hadn't experienced the Mars Site Nonary Game yet when he made Luna. Rather, she was based on what he remembers of Luna from VLR, as well as the (potentially unreliable) account of a woman who showed up to Rhizome 9 one day.

Hyoukokun

Don't skip the DS! There are so many amazing games out there exclusive to the DS and 3DS, and 999 is only one of them; check this thread for a few of the DS games. Some of these games do have ports, but in most cases the original is better.

AFAIK a lot of people are planning to replay the games close to release. Why not wait for that and replay with GAF?

because i dont have another 30 hours sitting around to replay a game lol?

Naw, i'll just check out a plot synopsis. I remember all the important beats, the stuff i fear that i've forgotten are some of the smaller details.

I have a DS, but also a huge backlog, so is there a recommended synposis or video to read for 999? I understand some games have to be experienced, this is actually my first time not playing a game before playing the sequel. But I don't have the time to play both before 3 comes out. I already have VLR on vita from ps plus.

I have a DS, but also a huge backlog, so is there a recommended synposis or video to read for 999? I understand some games have to be experienced, this is actually my first time not playing a game before playing the sequel. But I don't have the time to play both before 3 comes out. I already have VLR on vita from ps plus.

Can't you just bump this up in your backlog? If you like it you'll blow through it in less than a week and ZTD won't be out for a few months still.

Why not buy zero time dilemma later then? You don't have to play it at launch, and you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing them in order.

I was listening to the transmission from VLR again and it got me excited. I can't wait to reach that bit in ZTD. Three of them each sitting at a table is interesting....

Can't you just bump this up in your backlog? If you like it you'll blow through it in less than a week and ZTD won't be out for a few months still.

If there isn't a way to enjoy it through a video or extensive synopsis , maybe - I'm kinda tired of VN's atm and don't enjoy the small 3dsxl screen ~_~. I don't want to play 999 and then not want to play VLR - I did this with Tales of Xillia 2 even though they were a year apart(Different genres I know).
I actually tried playing it around release but maybe I was too young since It was one of my first VN experiences.

Why not buy zero time dilemma later then? You don't have to play it at launch, and you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing them in order.

Well, I started VLR and was enjoying it up till the part it seemed like I was missing alot not playing the preceding game, I was playing danganronpa at the same time so I was enjoying VN's alot - that was around the time when the pre-orders for the watch edition went up and so I have that pre-ordered -__-".

This. Prioritize 999 and have the rest of your backlog wait.

Already said everything I wished to say about how godawful (and not perfectly fine) the iOS version is, so I don't intend to continue reiterating it.

Didn't know it was on ios.I'd rather play games on a handheld than my phone or tablet so thanks !

Korigama

This. Prioritize 999 and have the rest of your backlog wait.

Already said everything I wished to say about how godawful (and not perfectly fine) the iOS version is, so I don't intend to continue reiterating it.

yeah, i would recommend actually playing these games and not just reading a couple of wiki pages to try and jump in with ZE3. Having experienced 999 before VLR really added to that experience, i cant imagine having played VLR without having played 999.

If there isn't a way to enjoy it through a video or extensive synopsis , maybe - I'm kinda tired of VN's atm and don't enjoy the small 3dsxl screen ~_~. I don't want to play 999 and then not want to play VLR - I did this with Tales of Xillia 2 even though they were a year apart(Different genres I know).
I actually tried playing it around release but maybe I was too young since It was one of my first VN experiences.

Well, I started VLR and was enjoying it up till the part it seemed like I was missing alot not playing the preceding game, I was playing danganronpa at the same time so I was enjoying VN's alot - that was around the time when the pre-orders for the watch edition went up and so I have that pre-ordered -__-".

Didn't know it was on ios.I'd rather play games on a handheld than my phone or tablet so thanks !

Fair enough!

If you'd like to rush through 999, it can be cleared after only 2 routes if you choose the right doors. Those being
doors 5/8/6 , then 4/7/1

...small 3dsxl screen? Isn't the larger screen only 0.1inches smaller than the vita? haha

grim-tales

Hey,
Remember in VLR when
Sigma wonders why he's been kidnapped, and all the reasons he lists kind of start to come true? One of them was something like "Had I had an affair with the mistress of a prominent politician? She was the one who went after me...."
Maybe thats something to do with who Diana turns out to be?

Korigama

Fair enough!

If you'd like to rush through 999, it can be cleared after only 2 routes if you choose the right doors. Those being
doors 5/8/6 , then 4/7/1

...small 3dsxl screen? Isn't the larger screen only 0.1inches smaller than the vita? haha
Would really advise against rushing through it. Especially when all of the information revealed through the additional paths and alternate endings adds so much to the bigger picture. If you do play 999, then you should do it right (it shouldn't be rushed any more than VLR). Not treated as though it's a case of choking down your vegetables before dessert.

Seriously guys. Play 999 on nds.
It is one of the best games from last generation. There is a BIG reason it doesn't translate well to other platforms or plot summaries.

It was also dirty cheap on amazon last time I checked.

The multiple routes was the reason I wanted to skip it ~_~ . I played it on a dsixl originally so i guess that might be why. Also for some reason the bottom screen stresses my eyes out more than the top one and the resolution not being great sucks as well.
Thanks for your opinions, I'll check it out soon-ish I guess.

Bowlie

Banned
Hey,
Remember in VLR when
Sigma wonders why he's been kidnapped, and all the reasons he lists kind of start to come true? One of them was something like "Had I had an affair with the mistress of a prominent politician? She was the one who went after me...."

Oh shit. Oh shit!

---

Are you planning on group (re)playing 999 and VLR at a certain date? I know I'll play them again one way or the other, but it'd be more interesting with more people.

Hey,
Remember in VLR when

OH
MY
FUCKING
GOD

Are you planning on group (re)playing 999 and VLR at a certain date? I know I'll play them again one way or the other, but it'd be more interesting with more people.
I made someone play 999 recently so I won't be going through it again soon, but I plan on playing through VLR again for sure.

Nothing formal has been set up, but I'm sure we could get something up and running!

How do you all remember all this? do you have a script in front of you? i've been re-watching on my 3ds different ending's every night from a save and there's so much dialogue that i can't remember these lines. maybe the memories will come back as i get use to jumping a bit more.

How do you all remember all this? do you have a script in front of you? i've been re-watching on my 3ds different ending's every night from a save and there's so much dialogue that i can't remember these lines. maybe the memories will come back as i get use to jumping a bit more.

It's just the particular bits of the godly spaghetti that is Zero Escape that is stuck on to the wall of our memories. Often, a bit has fallen off from our wall, but someone else reminds us of it and we look where the bit of spaghetti used to be, and then we might see a stain on the wall and remember that particular bit of spaghetti.

My friend on Facebook also thinks Participant 6 is Phi. To me this seems like another situation when some people thought Participant 6 was Diana until they actually revealed Diana. Same thing will probably happen again with Phi when they reveal her. If we don't eventually get someone that looks like Phi then maybe I'll believe it, but until then it's just crazy talk to me. I mean they could show a picture of a giraffe and people would still speculate that it could be Phi. That's just Zero Escape for you! :p

In other news, I really wanna see the dog!

MegaMelon

Do not do this. You can find ds/dsi/2ds/3ds/n3ds for dirt cheap. 999 deserves to be played on a ds. Even ignoring that, there's a huge amount of games on the ds/3ds. Surely you'll find some that you'll love in there.

Maybe the dog IS Phi :eek:

:p

Funny thing is this actually has some weight to it! I read on gamefaqs somewhere this theory that Phi is actually a dog which made reference to stuff like
her reaction to getting sprayed with the luminol
how she saw zero III as a different animal
and
her behaviour in the pantry as well as in one of the ending routes

EDIT: Found it http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641334-zero-escape-virtues-last-reward/72114884?page=2

Bowlie

Banned
Oh, screw thissss, everything is possible and amazing and crazy in this series.

Let's see if we can play them one month before ZE3 :3

Maybe the dog IS Phi :eek:

:p

qePAM.gif

kubus

Super LTTP but I played and beat both 999 and VLR in succession over the last couple weeks. I loved 999: the feeling of dread looming over everyone's head kept me up for hours and the puzzles were fun. VLR was also really good but it wasn't nearly as suspenseful as 999 and I disliked a lot of the puzzles. Maybe I should've played them on Easy first but I thought the answers to some of them were really "out there" and I felt tricked. I also managed to get the Secret Passwords quite easily sometimes and then couldn't figure out how to get the Escape password. But anyway, they're both really good games and I'm glad I played them.

I kept being reminded of the drama "Liar Game" while I played the games, and when I finished VLR I couldn't help but rewatch the series for the third time. I know the series isn't very well known and I figured that maybe the Zero Escape community would really enjoy this series because they share a lot of common themes. So I'm just gonna introduce it to you guys and maybe you'll give it a try (it could also help soften the pain of waiting for ZE3 news :p)

liargame.jpg

Liar Game is originally a manga series, but it has also been adapted to a live action drama series spanning two seasons of 13 and 9 episodes respectfully. I'll be discussing the live action series.

It's about a girl named Kanzaki Nao, who one day finds 100 million yen on her doorstep, with an accompanying letter informing her that she has been forced to play the Liar Game. Simply put: It's a game of deceit in which players try to gain the most money by tricking their opponents out of theirs. The problem is, Nao is known to be "too honest for her own good" and thus extremely gullible, which obviously doesn't play into her favor. She seeks help from Akiyama, a genius swindler, and together they beat the first round, thereby automatically entering into the second round, etc.

The best thing about Liar Game is definitely the various games being played in each round. Many things you've heard about in 999 and VLR are also used in Liar Game, such as the prisoner's dilemma. The rounds also have varying amounts of opponents: 3 vs 3, a 9 players free for all, 1 vs 1, etc, and the games they play are almost all based on human psychology. (There is also a game in which they use wrist watches btw :p)

The fun thing is that all the rules are made clear in the beginning and as the viewer you're trying to figure out the solution because there is always a smart trick to manipulate the game in your favor. But it's almost useless because when the solution is finally explained you just want to hit yourself for not figuring it out yourself. The tricks they come up with are so well thought out and smart but still logical and easy to understand. The series itself has really good production values, a fun cast, though the acting gets a little over the top sometimes when a character bursts into a maniacal laughter when someone just "activated their trap card" so to speak :p.

I wish I could find a good English subbed trailer to give an idea, but all I could find is this trailer from one of the movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZhNiBpDRto

I should add that they're really trying to pander to the Nao x Akiyama fandom in this trailer (and movie) and there is no romance at all in the regular seasons. So please don't let this scare you off. The tv drama is purely about the mind games and there is hardly any fluff or filler. The pacing is extremely good as well, as most games last about 2 episodes before almost immediately continuing with the next game and they're all really interesting.

If you want to read some reviews, there's a bunch of helpful ones here, that might help you get a better understanding of how the games play out because I suck at explaining :p.

As for availability, both seasons can be found on Crunchyroll. They don't seem to have the movies, of which there are two iirc. One of them, The Last Stage, serves as the conclusion to the series but the main storyline isn't resolved in that one which is a shame. The manga has not been licensed unfortunately, but as far as I know it's still ongoing it ended last year, as pointed out by some people below. Oh, a Korean live action adaption has also started recently, but I haven't checked that out.

I hope some of you will give it a try. Every time I recommended Liar Game to someone they ended up loving it. If you like Death Note btw, I can almost guarantee you'll love this too.

Ok, long ass post over, back to speculating about participant 6 again :p

kubus

If liar game the show has the same ending as liar game the manga, its probably not worth hyping for that.
I have no idea how the manga ended (it's done then? Thought it was still being published last year) but the show ended in 2007 with a lot of loose ties so they don't end the same I think..? I mean yeah, that in itself is a bit of a disappointment but I was never interested in the main "plot" anyway, all I wanted was mind games and the show is really good in that respect.

grim-tales

Do not do this. You can find ds/dsi/2ds/3ds/n3ds for dirt cheap. 999 deserves to be played on a ds. Even ignoring that, there's a huge amount of games on the ds/3ds. Surely you'll find some that you'll love in there.

Funny thing is this actually has some weight to it! I read on gamefaqs somewhere this theory that Phi is actually a dog which made reference to stuff like
her reaction to getting sprayed with the luminol
how she saw zero III as a different animal
and
her behaviour in the pantry as well as in one of the ending routes

EDIT: Found it http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641334-zero-escape-virtues-last-reward/72114884?page=2

:eek: I really need to play VLR again. Holy shit.
Which ending route was it? Also I was thinking about when Zero III calls her "Phido" which is a pun on "Fido", a trope name for a dog.
Also imo this kinda fits in with Sigma's cat puns? It kinda puts two opposite things together, if Sigma is a cat, Phi is a dog

Bowlie

Banned
Can we be friends, kubus?

I read Liar Game last year and had the exact same thoughts. It was the only other kind of content that could give me the same vibe as 999 and VLR. The Akiyama x Yokoya feud during the whole plot was absolutely fantastic, as each came with a way to outwit the other, on games that I (and probably they) have never heard about but managed to understand the rules completely, like that chair game or the bank one.

Actually the manga is finished. The ending was very polarizing, many people hated it (I enjoyed, and admired Shinobu for having the guts to write it that way).

edit: as seen above, people hated it haha

kubus

Nice post kubus, thanks! I'll definitely look into it.
Thanks! And yay!

Can we be friends, kubus?

I read Liar Game last year and had the exact same thoughts. It was the only other kind of content that could give me the same vibe as 999 and VLR. The Akiyama x Yokoya feud during the whole plot was absolutely fantastic, as each came with a way to outwit the other, on games that I (and probably they) have never heard about but managed to understand the rules completely, like that chair game or the bank one.

Actually the manga is finished. The ending was very polarizing, many people hated it (I enjoyed, and admired Shinobu for having the guts to write it that way).

edit: as seen above, people hated it haha
/internet high five

I didn't know the manga ended! I always withheld from reading it because I heard the author took frequent breaks and I hate waiting. After I finish my rewatch of the show, I think I'll finally take a look at the manga then.

The games are definitely the highlight of the series. I'm surprised the author managed to keep thinking of new ones for so long, not to mention coming up with those genius strategies. I have a lot of respect for people who can write stuff like that, which of course also includes Uchikoshi.

Cha

Ohohoho YES! The Liar Game drama is sooo good (And dat ost!). The over the top characters/acting might put people off, but a great recommendation for people that like vlr/999s puzzles.

But, on topic: Was liking the character art style until the big eyed lady showed up :/ Theyre also spaced too far apart. Its gonna bug me if her in games model looks like that. It just looks...off.
Can't remember much of vlr, so a lot of the speculation talk here loses me. Will get back in to it soon to refresh my memory. Currently playing through 999 again :)

Maedhros

Only play the DS version if you have a 3DS.

Inverting a screen is completely not worth the entire game. Don't believe people's lies on these topics.

The iOS version is worse for me only because they removed the puzzles.

Have you read the sequel, Judge? It's cool too, even though both mangas don't challenge your mind as much, instead having a horror/gore vibe only.

No, I haven't. I know about it, but Doubt didn't exactly leaving me craving for more. I thought it was solid, but nothing amazing. Maybe one day I'll check out Judge.

Lusankya

Liar Game is awesome, although I recommend reading the manga instead of watching the TV drama.
The TV show is not bad, but it changes some things including the gender of an important character and I had the feeling that often the explanations were more detailed in the manga.

The last season of the TV show features an original game, because at that time the manga wasn't finished yet, so I recommend to watch that at least.

Btw. the very first game is by far the weakest and doesn't really feature a lot of the mind games and tricks you'll see in the later games.

Fisico

Have you read the sequel, Judge? It's cool too, even though both mangas don't challenge your mind as much, instead having a horror/gore vibe only.

I didn't find Doubt very good, Judge was worse and Secret is more of the same thing...

Leezard

Steins;Gate reminded me of Zero Escape. That was mostly the storytelling with different timelines rather than any escaping though.

Since we're recommending stuff that's similar to Zero Escape, I'll throw in the manga Doubt and the movie Coherence.

Will look into that.

Thanks for the heads-up on Liar Game, kubus! Might be the first TV show I've ever watched.

Will check Triangle as well, Grim!

Personally, I have to mention Battle Royale. It's closer to something like Hunger Games than Zero Escape from the outset: It's about 42 Japanese 9th graders that are put on an isolated island, given weapons, and forced to kill each other. Not philosophical or scientific, but the atmosphere and pacing is incredible. It's my favorite novel of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom