• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games Snake has been in on Nintendo platforms: Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Snake Eater 3D, Smash Bros. Brawl (total of 4).
Games Simon has been in on Nintendo platforms: Playable in Castlevania, Castlevania 2, Super Castlevania 4, Harmony of Dissonance, Judgement, Wai Wai World, Wai Wai World 2, DreamMix TV World Fighters, New International Track and Field (total of 9); Cameos in Portrait of Ruin, Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2 (+2).

to be fair, snake was also in the bolded, in addition to to MGS ghost babel for GBC and twin snakes for GCN... and maybe more idk

in my perfect world we'd have both snake and simon though :(

Among other reasons, regardless of how he got in, Snake is in one of the biggest (litteraly and figuratively) video games Nintendo has ever made, and the game we're all waiting for it's sequel like mad. Brawl. Exclusivley.

Tell me the last time Simon has been associated any where close to that sort of Nintendo relevance, especially within the past 10 years, and we'll talk.
He was the main playable character in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate for the 3DS last year, 2013. Admittedly, it was a side-game to the main Lords of Shadow series (and kind of garbage, from what I recall), but there you go.

Also, he was featured pretty prominently in Castlevania: Judgment in 2008, being on the box-art and such. Also pretty awful.

Then again, I'm not sure quality is the metric with which to judge this, since I've seen arguments that 2004's Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and 2012's Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater are pretty awful in various ways. (I didn't really mind Twin Snakes, but didn't play MGS3D.)

Also, I'm deliberately omitting Smash Bros. from this; I wanted to see how relevant to their respective franchises and/or Nintendo each character is on their own merits.

Durden77

Just replace snake with an advance wars character with a few different moves and add simon.

Everyone wins.

I don't. And I love Advance Wars. Although if it had to happen, giving his moveset to an AW guy would be optimal.

Also for the other guy listing Snake's games...

Twin Snakes (exclusive)
Ghost Babel GBC (type of exclusive.)

He's in 6. Three less than the almighty Nintendo mascot Simon Belmont. And the point was to show regardless of apperances, that over the years he's technically more associated with Nintendo than Simon.

Within the past 6 years he's appeared exclusively in a huge Nintendo blockbuster, and supported a brand new Nintendo system at launch. Simon has just been...Simon-in around...for a long time now.

Even though this entire discussion is kind of irrelevant because Sakurai proved by putting Snake in Brawl he does what the fuck he wants, when he wants regardless.

And there's the whole, MG has been developed similarly to a Nintendo series over the years and is still very important and relevant today like them. Which is why Snake, against all odds, ended up fitting in so well. Because he belonged there. But that's another conversation.

And I told myself I wouldn't. Now look at what've done. I'm supposed to be eating right now...

Richie

Thanks. The stage roster is currently one of my biggest concerns. I really hope their decision to give each version its own stage roster doesn't gimp the overall stage count in either version, I want them to both feel like proper standalone Smash Bros. games, not incomplete halves to a whole that can never be actually finished.

I think if either version ends up having fewer stages than Brawl does I would consider the decision to separate the stage rosters to be a failure.

Unfortunately stage discussion never has any real hold here unless it's talking about banning them.

This is exactly my main fear with having both versions, that they'll only truly feel like a league above Brawl if both are counted as one, as opposed to each of them feeling like meaty, true steps forward in the series in their own individual rights.

Already I'm starting to notice a pattern where the 3DS stages are more innovative with their features, whereas most U stages play it much safer, so far at least. I'm also a bit irked with some of the decisions regarding them...The 3DS gets THE iconic Pac-Man stage, while the U version, on the big screen, gets something based off the much less important/known Pac-Man Land? Balloon Fight, based off a console game, is exclusive to the portable version? I don't know. If they release a DLC package where you can buy the other's versions stages, I'm buying that in a heartbeat.

So, moving away from the huge Nintendo all-star Snake (seriously, he's so close to Nintendo, Konami should give the series to them) and the guy who doesn't have any importance to Nintendo whatsoever (Simon Belmont), Square-enix was brought up in the SmashGAF IRC, and with the introduction of the customizable movesets of the Mii Fighter and Palutena, I've had an idea.

The only 2 series from Square-enix that are truly popular are Dragon Quest and of course Final Fantasy - the latter more so globally, while DQ is significantly bigger in Japan than the rest of the world.

Final Fantasy is a series in which every game is its own contained story and world. So, I believe that picking a single characters from one of those games would not do the franchise any justice. There are a lot of elements that tie them together aside from the name, such as several mechanics, species (Chocobos, Moogles, etc.) and of course the class archetypes.

My suggestion was to make a character loosely based on Final Fantasy 1. It could either be a human (you could name it the Warrior of Light, based on the Dissidia Final Fantasy incarnation of the FF1 characters), or a Moogle/Chocobo. Then add to it the most iconic jobs of the franchise, and based on which job you give your WoL/Moogle/Chocobo, we would have a different moveset. It could be involving Fighter/Knight, Black Mage, White Mage and Ninja (cause I feel it would offer more variety than Thief), perhaps even Black Belt/Monk or some of the other less known classes (tho I feel like the Red Mage wouldn't offer enough deviation from the other 2 mages), and you'd be good to go.
Final Smash could be summoning Shiva, Ifrit or Bahamut or something, idk.

In any case, I feel like that would probably the best solution to represent Final Fantasy, if it ever were to happen. I always felt that picking a single character from a specific game or a single class (since Black Mage was often suggested) goes against the whole variety aspect of the franchise, especially those games that allow you customizing your characters, which is a mechanic that spans across most of the series.

I haven't played enough Dragon Quest games to give any insight in that, though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd say Dragon Quest in closer to Nintendo than Final Fantasy seeing as Nintendo published the Dragon Quest games over here and there has actually been a proper Mario and Dragon Quest crossover with Fortune Street (Final Fantasy characters appeared in Mario Hoops and Sports Mix but technically those were cameos).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
People keep forgetting that Simon was also recently playable in Mirror of Fate on the 3DS, I guess Mercury Steam's CV output isn't exactly liked around these parts.
None the less there's another Nintendo outing for him, nice take on his character design in that one as well.

Yeah, I liked his design there.

a4wVPCil.jpg

Though looking at megaman/pacman I would think they'd stick to a retro look if this would happen.

Durden77

So, moving away from the huge Nintendo all-star Snake (seriously, he's so close to Nintendo, Konami should give the series to them) and the guy who doesn't have any importance to Nintendo whatsoever (Simon Belmont)...

Definitely what I said, but whatever. Be butthurt.

And I'd think a Dragon's Quest rep would be nice, and Nintendo's already crossed over with them before in Foutune Street, so it's not that out of the question. And since it's popularity is mainly in Japan, they could be this game's Marth in a way.

That being said, I know little to nothing about the series, so I have no idea who it would be or what those possibilities are. I hope to at least see some trophies though. I don't think Final Fantasy will get a rep anytime soon, but if it did I'd think Black Mage would be a good overall fit.

I'd say Dragon Quest in closer to Nintendo than Final Fantasy seeing as Nintendo published the Dragon Quest games over here and there has actually been a proper Mario and Dragon Quest crossover with Fortune Street (Final Fantasy characters appeared in Mario Hoops and Sports Mix but technically those were cameos).

DQ's Slime also was in Sports Mix I believe. :)
I see both franchises having about equal chances of making it into Smash if there was a decision between either. However, I wouldn't be opposed to both happening, heh. I just thought that the Mii Fighter's customizable moveset was very reminiscent of the job system in various FF games, and I thought it would be a much cooler inclusion to have a character like I suggested as opposed to just a generic Black Mage, or a generic Chocobo, or a specific character like Cloud, Cecil, Lightning or whomever.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Make it easier for all Snake Lovers, If you really want to support Snake in Smash then get on Twitter and tweet to Sakurai, Nintendo, Nintendo of America, Kojima and Konami to request Snake to be back. #BringSnakeBackSSB4

Who else is even more happy that Pac-Man is in than they thought they'd be? I've even entered this mini Pac-Man hype mode where I'm playing his games.

I'm very pleased with Pac Man's moveset because there is a lot of arcade love there! Yeah, I grew up during arcade era mainly.

Durden77

Make it easier for all Snake Lovers, If you really want to support Snake in Smash then get on Twitter and tweet to Sakurai, Nintendo, Nintendo of America, Kojima and Konami to request Snake to be back. #BringSnakeBackSSB4

I'm very pleased with Pac Man's moveset because there is a lot of arcade love there! Yeah, I grew up during arcade era mainly.

I would totally be down for that, although it's a bit too late to bring him back if he's out now though.

I honestly have considered getting a group of fans together all tweeting Kojima (possibly Sakurai too) pleasantly asking if he's in. We could use that hastag. Hopefully if enough people sent it in mass, he might at least address it.......anybody down?

That's the worst part. If he's out, I just wanna know. Seems really weird that they haven't even as much as addressed a character that is as notable as him. Although I think he's still in, which might be why.

Also yeh, Pac-Man's moveset looks fucking awesome.

JoeInky

Like, seriously, that tech fox is using is called multishining

He uses his reflector, then 3 frames after he jumps, 3 frames after that he shines again, another 4 frames and he jumps and another shine 3 frames after. He then repeats this sequence another what looks like 9 times for a total of 12 shines.

He basically pressed BDown and then jump, frame perfectly, 12 times, in the space of about 3-4 seconds.

That's fucking insane

I've probably misunderstood something somewhere because I don't even touch fox because I am way too slow to do any of that

I think the marth dies so easily just because he doesn't know what the fuck just happened.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would totally be down for that, although it's a bit too late to bring him back if he's out now though.

I honestly have considered getting a group of fans together all tweeting Kojima (possibly Sakurai too) pleasantly asking if he's in. We could use that hastag. Hopefully if enough people sent it in mass, he might at least address it.......anybody down?

That's the worst part. If he's out, I just wanna know. Seems really weird that they haven't even as much as addressed a character that is as notable as him. Although I think he's still in, which might be why.

Also yeh, Pac-Man's moveset looks fucking awesome.

It's not even too late for DLC characters.

JoeInky

I think that was the shine right? Does it get I-frames now?

What am I seeing/supposed to see here?

I think the gif was supposed to showcase just how little you can do with sm4sh fox's shine compared to melee.

All fox does in that gif is shield drop through the platform into a laggy non-cancellable shine and then toon link floats towards him and he links an utilt into a ftilt but then can't do a followup because of the lag from his ftilt.

Might not even be a shield drop actually, I think he just straight up drops through the platform.

Kojima already said it's unlikely Snake will be in Smash 4, unless he's been kept in the dark about it. But I don't think Konami would make a deal with Nintendo without Kojima's knowledge either, so it's pretty sure Snake is out.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
georly, the Inkay link is set to the Kyogre one. :p

(what does he actually do? I saw him flip around once and that was it lol)

Inkay = POW (items)

From what I heard, he is causing trips or so. If you stand on ground when Inkay hit the ground then you would be more likely to tripped.

Durden77

Kojima already said it's unlikely Snake will be in Smash 4, unless he's been kept in the dark about it. But I don't think Konami would make a deal with Nintendo without Kojima's knowledge either, so it's pretty sure Snake is out.

What do you think he can just say "Yeah Snake's in there!"? Something very similar with Sonic happened before he was announced to return.

He didn't say yes or no, along with the fact that Kojima loves his trolling, (Moby Dick Studios did an interview...seriously), and other things, (Sakurai saying think of Megaman as a special case yet we get Pac-man, ect) those comments litteraly mean nothing. Also, he's grinning ear to ear the second the question is brought up and throughout his answer.

Even though we probably wouldn't get anything better by hitting his twitter, but we could possibly get more context. And if he isn't under an NDA (which I doubt, even if Snake isn't returning) we could possibly get a straight no.

SoldnerKei

but it's kojima, if someone trolls better than sakurai it's him

anyway I don't expect to see Snake in this game, we have plenty of third party rep's thou

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
List of Pokeball Pokemon being confirmed or not

Pokeball Pokemon

New Pokemon
Abomasnow
Arceus
Chespin
Darkrai
Dedenne
Eevee
Fennekin
Fletchling
Genesect
Giratina
Gogoat
Inkay
Keldeo
Kyurem
Meloetta
Oshawott
Palkia
Snivy
Spewpa
Victini
Xerneas

Returning Pokemon
Bellossom
Deoxys
Electrode
Entei
Gardevoir
Goldeen
Kyogre
Latias
Latios
Lugia
Meowth
Metagross
Mew
Moltres
Snorlax
Staryu
Suicune
Togepi

Pokemon appeared in CGI
Swirlix
Zoroark

Unconfirmed Pokemon
Bonsly
Celebi
Chikorita
Groudon
Gulpin
Ho-oh
Jirachi
Manaphy
Munchlax
Piplup
Torchic
Weavile
Wobbuffet

List of Pokeball Pokemon being confirmed or not

Pokeball Pokemon

New Pokemon
Abomasnow
Arceus
Chespin
Darkrai
Dedenne
Eevee
Fennekin
Fletchling
Genesect
Giratina
Gogoat
Inkay
Keldeo
Kyurem
Meloetta
Oshawott
Palkia
Snivy
Spewpa
Victini
Xerneas

Returning Pokemon
Bellossom
Deoxys
Electrode
Entei
Gardevoir
Goldeen
Kyogre
Latias
Latios
Lugia
Meowth
Metagross
Mew
Snorlax
Staryu
Suicune
Togepi

Pokemon appeared in CGI
Swirlix
Zoroark

Unconfirmed Pokemon
Bonsly
Celebi
Chikorita
Groudon
Gulpin
Ho-oh
Jirachi
Manaphy
Moltres
Munchlax
Piplup
Torchic
Weavile
Wobbuffet

Pretty sure Moltres appeared during the invitational

JoeInky

I don't like that a lot of the specials are so laggy as well.

No arrow or missile cancelling, no shine cancelling, it's like they're just begging you not to use your moves.

I can sort off understand with the shine because they want to not have stuff like multishining or waveshining but then why not just make it so you can do it quick enough to perform techniques like that?

They've turned good tools into incredibly situational minor annoyances.

I'm actually surprised they didn't make samus, toon link and links ZAirs non-cancellable just to screw them over even more.

Maybe less damage but cancellable will be a customisation.

Pretty sure Moltres appeared during the invitational

It did.

georly

georly, the Inkay link is set to the Kyogre one. :p

(what does he actually do? I saw him flip around once and that was it lol)

Fixed. He does a universal trip. Trips anyone touching the ground when he headbutts the ground. Kinda like POW block but for tripping.

Bolded is why we're arguing this; you're repeatedly stating outright untruths.
The truth is hard to accept it seems. I can name numerous 3rd party characters more important to the industry than Simon Belmont.

If were just talking about Konami, Simon is, at best, the second most important character to them. Snake IS Konami in the same way Sonic is Sega.

So, moving away from the huge Nintendo all-star Snake (seriously, he's so close to Nintendo, Konami should give the series to them) and the guy who doesn't have any importance to Nintendo whatsoever (Simon Belmont)
It's not about how important a character is to Nintendo, it's about how important they are to the video game industry or pop culture in general. Sonic didn't make it in to Brawl because he was of any significance to Nintendo, and neither did Snake, they made it in because they're a huge deal. If we're using the logic that a third party character needs to be connected to Nintendo, then I can think of lots of characters more worthy than some of the third parties that have been in Smash.

JoeInky

Don't know if this has been posted yet or if anyone cares but here's the MLG Anaheim friday schedule:

Qb87s46.png

kGc8Ws6.png

Is it bad that I get pleasure out of seeing zero facing mango, armada and hbox because I know he's going to lose? I haven't watched brawl in so long that I forgot how much I hated stalling and seeing him do it at the invitational brought it all back.

Also crew battle and AMSA hype.

It's not about how important a character is to Nintendo, it's about how important they are to the video game industry or pop culture in general. Sonic didn't make it in to Brawl because he was of any significance to Nintendo, and neither did Snake, they made it in because they're a huge deal.

No. Snake made it in because Kojima asked Sakurai to add Snake during Melee's development.

Who else is even more happy that Pac-Man is in than they thought they'd be? I've even entered this mini Pac-Man hype mode where I'm playing his games.

If we needed a Namco character Pacman definitely had to be it. They used my favorite design of him and that trailer was amazing (especially the end, hits the heart man). Can't stop watching it. I'm very pleased with his inclusion. I might get Pac Land on the Wii U VC.

The truth is hard to accept it seems. I can name numerous 3rd party characters more important to the industry than Simon Belmont.

If were just talking about Konami, Simon is, at best, the second most important character to them. Snake IS Konami in the same way Sonic is Sega.
The hell are you on about? This is the post I responded to:

Simon Belmont has never consistently been the main character in Castlevania games. Even if Konami/Nintendo wanted a Castlevania character, it's not like Simon Belmont is the only choice the way that Snake is in his franchise. There have been maaaaany other Castlevania protagonists.
Which is wrong in several regards:

• Most Castlevanias feature a Belmont or somebody who plays like one
  • Of those, Simon holds a larger share than any other
  • Your "Snake" isn't even one singular character, which you yourself admitted:
Brawl's Snake is just called "Snake" and he represents more than one form of Snake even though it's primarily Solid.

I specifically said SNAKE, not Solid Snake like you insist on doing. This is something that need not be so literal. Even if Solid/Naked/Big Boss are all technically different characters. They're all essentially spins on the character that is Snake, in the same way that all the different Links are still essentially Link. The Link we have in Brawl & Smash 4 is primarily Twilight Princess Link, but he represents all Links aside from the Wind Waker style version.
...so I called you out on it.

And yet now, you're on about the industry at large? Quit moving the goalposts.

Also:

It's not about how important a character is to Nintendo, it's about how important they are to the video game industry or pop culture in general. Sonic didn't make it in to Brawl because he was of any significance to Nintendo, and neither did Snake, they made it in because they're a huge deal. If we're using the logic that a third party character needs to be connected to Nintendo, then I can think of lots of characters more worthy than some of the third parties that have been in Smash.
Literally every thing in this is wrong. This is a Nintendo All-Star crossover, first-and-foremost. Sonic made it into Brawl because of his fierce, real-life rivalry with Mario as the mascot one of Nintendo's biggest rival companies, and wouldn't have even been up for consideration if Sega hadn't gone third-party. And as Red Arremer said, Snake isn't in purely because "he's iconic", he's in because Kojima is close friends with Sakurai wanted to play Smash Bros. with his kid as Solid Snake, and Metal Gear had a tenuous enough connection to Nintendo to justify it.

Do it. Seriously, best way to find out is to just spam his Twitter account. He actually reacts way more sensitively to anything he says there than just about any source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom