• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 21.3 Million PS3's sold Worldwide

Dante

szaromir said:
It is. Why wouldn't it?

You know what....Than LOL Fukkin L at anyone that says the PS3 is a failure.

Seriously a year head start and a serious fukkin price difference and that's the fukkin result?

Remind me never to take the gaming media seriously ever again :/

Hellraizer said:
Pretty much. Sony had great advantages in the beginning. Most 3rd parties just expected the PS3 will have the same success like the predecessors. I think Sony had the greatest advantage, thanks to their history, unfortunately they kinda blew it.

You can think all you want but you'd still be wrong.
the PS1 and PS2 history has jack shit to do with developing games on the PS3.

The PS2 selling 100 mill doesn't Write the Net code for PSN It doesn't write your compilers for you brand new CPU. It doesn't write your interfaces for developers. Brand recognition doesn't do shit for your tool chains and it certainly doesn't develop games for you.

I swear people here act like Sony just neglected to go pick game code from the code tree. All of that things that mattered for building the PS3 had to be built from scratch. The same can't be said for the 360 and Wii.

StuBurns

Banned
CiSTM said:
And only way from here is up. Sony's amazing line-up for this and next year will surely pay off.
Do people really care though? Outside of GTA and Call of Duty I'm starting to think nothing matters to the masses.

"Look! Both these consoles have CoD6 and GTA:Whatever, one's half price!"

That about sums up the decision making process for the vast majority of the 'hardcore' gamers I think. I don't think there are that many people saying "oh gosh no, not the xbox 360, Mr Ueda's upcoming project is PS3 exclusive".

There are virtually no system seller exclusives upcoming on either platform at the moment, except maybe Gears 3.

Darklord

Banned
Trailblazer said:
You can think all you want but you'd still be wrong.
the PS1 and PS2 history has jack shit to do with developing games on the PS3.

The PS2 selling 100 mill doesn't Write the Net code for PSN It doesn't write your compilers for you brand new CPU. It doesn't write your interfaces for developers. Brand recognition doesn't do shit for your tool chains and it certainly doesn't develop games for you.

I swear people here act like Sony just neglected to go pick game code from the code tree. All of that things that mattered for building the PS3 had to be built from scratch. The same can't be said for the 360 and Wii.

I think he means the PS1 and PS2 were the top dog by a mile so they could have gotten the strongest support by both fans and developers.

slider

Trailblazer said:
...the PS1 and PS2 history has jack shit to do with developing games on the PS3.

Again, you're right but as I tried to say earlier... it potentially could have a lot to do with consumer perceptions.

slider said:
Again, you're right but as I tried to say earlier... it potentially could have a lot to do with consumer perceptions.

LOL I think we both saying the same things here. for the record I completely 100% agree with you. Maybe I'm just not expressing myself properly. I'm saying that some advantages means more then others. Brand recognition and Third parties having faith in you, and consumer perceptions definitely are advantages.

But when you look at what Sony had to build from the ground up leading up to the PS3 launch. And how much they've had to continue to develop just to get on par or close to the Development environment of the 360 and Live, all bets from the previous Generation were off. I wasn't saying the Sony has No advantages coming into this Gen, just that the many disadvantages far out weighed them.

It could be my fault for talking about hardware/software development and challenges in a sales age thread.

obaidr

Banned
idahoblue said:
Sales-age never ceases to amaze me. If total sold at any given time is the criteria, why would a console maker launch more then 2-3 months after a competitor? The gap is very difficult to make up. If the goal is to sell some units, make some profit eventually, and have the platform supported, the launch date is not so important.

Really, the way some of you are on here, Sony lost a week after the 360 launched. "It's all about sales right now! x > 0 = MS WINS!"

Yep, PS3 is way behind on total sales. It will probably never catch up to the 360. So it will be last this generation. So if that is all you look at then I guess it is already a failure. Maybe that is the way the manufacturers look at it, but I doubt it.

That is not the way manufacturers look at it, because it doesn't make sense. For a company it is more important to be profitable, the number one. Now lets say sony sells 10 mil. less then microsoft but they keep much much more profitable because of the heigher price, so they will don't give a shit about their place at the competition. Every manufacturers has it own goals they need to achieve and those goals are always internal and have nothing to do to what the competiters do.

Being #1 just means you sold most consoles and can mean you make a lot of profit but don't necessarily have to. You might ask why. If sony had launched the PS3 at, lets say 299$ they would be #1 today without question but the it would also mean they would probably already stopped making PS3s because of the money they lose.

Competition is always important and it is always good to be #1 but being profitable and writing black numbers is not just important, it is existential

Haunted

obaidr said:
That is not the way manufacturers look at it, because it doesn't make sense. For a company it is more important to be profitable, the number one. Now lets say sony sells 10 mil. less then microsoft but they keep much much more profitable because of the heigher price, so they will don't give a shit about their place at the competition. Every manufacturers has it own goals they need to achieve and those goals are always internal and have nothing to do to what the competiters do.

Being #1 just means you sold most consoles and can mean you make a lot of profit but don't necessarily have to. You might ask why. If sony had launched the PS3 at, lets say 299$ they would be #1 today without question but the it would also mean they would probably already stopped making PS3s because of the money they lose.

Competition is always important and it is always good to be #1 but being profitable and writing black numbers is not just important, it is existential
Exactly.

Now let's apply this metric to the PS3's performance so far.

Anyone else feel they're getting too old for this shit?

Good job Sony, you're doing better than I thought you would a couple years ago. Gimme a price drop and God of War 3 and I guess I'm in.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Anyone else feel they're getting too old for this shit?

Good job Sony, you're doing better than I thought you would a couple years ago. Gimme a price drop and God of War 3 and I guess I'm in.

I have 2 extra grey hairs from this thread alone.

As far as a price drop, all signs point to a drop before summer, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS3 at 299 x-mas 2009.

tino

Banned
It will sell more when it drop below 300.

People should start thinking PS360 as one platform. There are very few 3rd party contents made exclusively for 360 nowadays.

As for 1st party contents, neither side are very important/impactful post Metal Gear.

szaromir

Banned
Trailblazer said:
But when you look at what Sony had to build from the ground up leading up to the PS3 launch. And how much they've had to continue to develop just to get on par or close to the Development environment of the 360 and Live, all bets from the previous Generation were off. I wasn't saying the Sony has No advantages coming into this Gen, just that the many disadvantages far out weighed them.

It could be my fault for talking about hardware/software development and challenges in a sales age thread.
The fact that Sony came unprepared for this generation and doesn't negate the fact that they did have better starting position than MS or Nintendo but blew it completely.

Sony are still losing money on each PS3 sold and the corporation seems somewhat unwilling to swallow even more losses, so I don't think we'll see price drop until next hardware revision which will probably be in Q3 or Q4.

People should start thinking PS360 as one platform. There are very few 3rd party contents made exclusively for 360 nowadays.
That's true, even Riccitiello from EA told recently he sees them as one.

obaidr

Banned
szaromir said:
The fact that Sony came unprepared for this generation and doesn't negate the fact that they did have better starting position than MS or Nintendo but blew it completely.

Sony are still losing money on each PS3 sold and the corporation seems somewhat unwilling to swallow even more losses, so I don't think we'll see price drop until next hardware revision which will probably be in Q3 or Q4.

Not true anymore. The manufacturing costs are now slightly below 400. I think it not only because of the cheaper hardware costs but also because of the one SKU politics (the 160GB was just a special edition and does not count in this case like all the other special edition SKUs). So with that in mind and the new 45 nm Cell chips (Stringer said they will be in the ps3 from summer on) i think a price drop in summer is imminent. How far they will go down is now know. I think in the first step only to 349 in summer and to 299 in Q4.

szaromir

Banned
obaidr said:
Not true anymore. The manufacturing costs are now slightly below 400. I think it not only because of the cheaper hardware costs but also because of the one SKU politics (the 160GB was just a special edition and does not count in this case like all the other special edition SKUs). So with that in mind and the new 45 nm Cell chips (Stringer said they will be in the ps3 from summer on) i think a price drop in summer is imminent. How far they will go down is now know. I think in the first step only to 349 in summer and to 299 in Q4.
SCE posted only $50M profit in last quarter. PSP hardware generates profit, PS2 hardware generates profit, 3rd party royalties generate profit, so it's either PS3 hardware or Worldwide Studios that drag the division down. I don't know where your figure is coming from, but I suspect it's some "expert" or "analyst" as usual...

AniHawk

Trailblazer said:
I have 2 extra grey hairs from this thread alone.

As far as a price drop, all signs point to a drop before summer, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS3 at 299 x-mas 2009.

One of my former coworkers said that one is coming soon. I'm guessing late March/early April (might be a decent way to start off the FY if they're on target to meet their predictions for this FY), or June/E3 at the latest.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
tino said:
It will sell more when it drop below 300.

As for 1st party contents, neither side are very important/impactful post Metal Gear.

so ps3 and xbox 360 are one platform and metal gear is first party. awesome.

FightyF

Banned
dfyb said:
i'll never understand the "PS2 was a mega-success, why isn't PS3 doing the same?" crowd. all bets were off when sony unvieled $599 and wii became nothing short of a phenomenon.

Not really, the Sony and PlayStation brand still helped the PS3 to a large degree.

Secondly, people believed in Sony's 10 year model, and so weren't dissuaded by the slow start.

And finally, key software such as GT5, LBP, and KZ2 were being waited for and are thought to be titles that would spurn mass sales of the console, much like how GTA3 helped shoot the PS2 (among other reasons) to massive sales.

FightyF said:
Not really, the Sony and PlayStation brand still helped the PS3 to a large degree.
Oh man, I'm trying to imagine what would've happened if Nintendo had been the one to announce a Blu-ray machine with standard(ish) controller that cost a few hundred more than the competition.

jax (old)

Banned
pxplQzfMA.jpg

this was from the other thread but its kind of awesome and ... putting this here keeps it alive.

I think in the new year (IMO), pricedrop + bluray will really help the PS3. The mediaplayer functionality on the thing is simply outstanding.

obaidr

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Oh man, I'm trying to imagine what would've happened if Nintendo had been the one to announce a Blu-ray machine with standard(ish) controller that cost a few hundred more than the competition.

SONY is a manufacture of high end multimedia devices since when? 30 years or more? Nintendo never produced any high end product and for that reason people would not accept it very probably. If you buy a Sony TV, Hifi System, MP3 Player or what ever you always pay much more then for equal products because of the SONY brand. For that reason people accept to buy a high price product from SONY much easier then from nintendo. Brands or extremly important for selling innovative and new products since the adaption rate of innovative products from known brands is 4 to 5 times higher then unknown brands (at least in that segment). That is why brands or so fucking expensive.

szaromir said:

Are you shitting me or are you to young to remember the PS1 or PS2 launches? From a development stand point they were far more prepared with the PS3 then with the PS2 or 1.
Were their development tools as advanced or matured as MS or Nintendo? Hell no and there was no way they could be starting off from square one. They came prepared but there was only so much Sony could have done in by the time the PS3 launched.

If they keep a similar architecture with the Ps4 as with the PS3 they'll have a gamecub to Wii type transition with their tool chain.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
In regards to the PS3 sales comparison with the GC and original Xbox, we are keeping in mind that you're comparing the totals of systems that had 5 year runs versus a system thats been out for over 2 years, right? If it passes the N64 in the next year then its clearly the best lil failure evar!
There's no question that the PS3 is probably going to remain in 3rd place for the rest of the generation, but what numbers could it post that would be considered good in light of the numerous missteps and diificulties its had? Would 40+ million sold in 5 year look good in general or will that always be relative to the Wii/360 sales?

Calcaneus

Its funny that there are people in this thread going "Yes! PS3 on its way to the gravy train!" and "Hey guys? Its still a total bomb rite?"

The PS3 is not a total failure, that's all this really tells us. Nothing more, nothing less.

kswiston

While I'm sure Sony wishes that it had a better position in the market, all three consoles are doing well this gen. You know that the industry is healthy when the second and third place consoles on the market will hit an eventual combined LTD of somewhere between 80-100M. Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox combined barely managed to hit 50M last gen. To top things off, we're also going to see handheld sales in excess of 200M, and who knows where the Wii will end up when all is said and done.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
kswiston said:
While I'm sure Sony wishes that it had a better position in the market, all three consoles are doing well this gen. You know that the industry is healthy when the second and third place consoles on the market will hit an eventual combined LTD of somewhere between 80-100M. Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox combined barely managed to hit 50M last gen. To top things off, we're also going to see handheld sales in excess of 200M, and who knows where the Wii will end up when all is said and done.

About the bolded: I think it's been debated A LOT in the past, but you cannot say for sure that the industry is healthy based on the 360 and PS3 numbers, because the leader isn't first with a traditional offering. We don't know in what measure the Wii sells to the core market. Let's assume it sells almost entirely to new customers. That would mean that, without the Wii, the industry is less healthy than it was in the PS2 era. I'm not saying the Wii is selling exclusively to a new market though, just that your statement makes things appear much simpler than they actually are.

gkryhewy

Kilrogg said:
About the bolded: I think it's been debated A LOT in the past, but you cannot say for sure that the industry is healthy based on the 360 and PS3 numbers, because the leader isn't first with a traditional offering. We don't know in what measure the Wii sells to the core market. Let's assume it sells almost entirely to new customers. That would mean that, without the Wii, the industry is less healthy than it was in the PS2 era. I'm not saying the Wii is selling exclusively to a new market though, just that your statement makes things appear much simpler than they actually are.

This is a good point. Nintendo's chart showing that they generated nearly ALL year-on-year growth in the industry, combined with PS3 sales declining year-on-year during the holiday season in the US (and 360 sales not increasing year-on-year very much either) --- the health of the non-Nintendo market is questionable.

Threads like these always cause people who barely pay any attention to sales-age (and thus, are far likelier to not have a clue what they're talking about) come out of the woodwork. :/

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ymmv said:
The power of perception:

MS sells 19 million 360 consoles after 29 months on the market: Gaf response YAY!! WOOT!! 360 OWNZ!!

Sony sells 21 million PS3s after 27 months: LOLZ ... PS3 FAIL

:lol Brilliant, so not only has the PS3 sold more in the same time period, it did it being priced much higher than the competition (360).

"oh b b b but errrr it's still failz!!11! compared to PS2 !!1!!1"

lol, yeah ok, you keep telling youself that if it makes you feel better.

FightyF

Banned
Joe211 said:
oh by the way some people on NPD thread think that the ps3 is on its way out :lol

I don't think it's all doom and gloom, but those numbers you want to quote don't show the large disparity between the 360 and PS3 in the US, as well as the large disparity between the PS3 and 360 in Japan.

The issue being that the Japanese market is becoming less and less open to HD gaming. Whereas the American market is still very open to powerful next gen consoles, and could be argued as the single most important market. And so even though Worldwide there's a difference of only 7-8 million, take out Japan (again, a market that isn't too keen on next gen) and the difference goes to 9-10 million.

But if Japan buys games like everyone else, then publishers and developers won't care that much. Fact is, their buying habits are very different from the rest of the World.

Sony has to be able to close the gap in the US, as they have in Canada (360 and PS3 userbase is roughly equal here). It's critical to do so, despite what you may think of those numbers posted.

And I would look at that chart and say also that though MS looks to be in a decent position, they too have to fight tooth and nail. This being the 4th year of "next gen", how to the PS3 + 360 numbers compare to the 4th year of PS2 + GC + 360? There used to be the claim that the Wii and HD consoles complemented each other, but for many new families the Wii seems to be the only one in their homes for their children.

But yeah, I agree with your general sentiment, you can't look at the PS3's numbers in a overly negative fashion. Could it be better? Yeah, but so can the 360's numbers, it's not like they are even keeping up with the Wii either. My main point is that you can't take that chart at face value. There's the Japan Factor(tm) to take into account.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lowrider007 said:
:lol Brilliant, so not only has the PS3 sold more in the same time period, it did it being priced much higher than the competition (360).

"oh b b b but errrr it's still failz!!11! compared to PS2 !!1!!1"

lol, yeah ok, you keep telling youself that if it makes you feel better.

For those too lazy to read

PS3vs360-1.png

StuBurns

Banned
So the PS3 has sold better month for month even with far higher retail price?
It just makes Sony's BluRay drive an even more stupid idea. If the PS3 had been the same price as the 360 they'd have creamed them. Even with the inferior online system.

braimuge

Banned
ymmv said:
The power of perception:

MS sells 19 million 360 consoles after 29 months on the market: Gaf response YAY!! WOOT!! 360 OWNZ!!

Sony sells 21 million PS3s after 27 months: LOLZ ... PS3 FAIL
:lol

Quoted again. Wow, so with a higher entry price and a year later introduction, the PS3 has actually outsold in 360? People should think logically. But then again, this is neogaf.

God, an ultimate facepalm awaits the "PS3 will cease to be produced" mindset.

nib95

Banned
TTP said:
For those too lazy to read

PS3vs360-1.png

Interesting graph. I would have never guessed as much based on the posts of some of the users on these boards, who give the impression the console is a complete failure, and that the 360 is the opposite. Admittedly the console is still in third place, but it certainly isn't doing bad, especially at it's given price point and with it's rocky start.

I do think Sony are taking good measures to ensure the consoles exclusive software line up is better year on year, and I'd imagine coupled with a price drop, that should have some good effects. Should be interesting to see how things pan out.

ymmv

Banned
stuburns said:
So the PS3 has sold better month for month even with far higher retail price?
It just makes Sony's BluRay drive an even more stupid idea. If the PS3 had been the same price as the 360 they'd have creamed them. Even with the inferior online system.

Yep. Sony has won the HD format war by putting Blu-Ray in the PS3, but it cost them the leadership in the HD console war.

nib95

Banned
ymmv said:
Yep. Sony has won the HD format war by putting Blu-Ray in the PS3, but it cost them the leadership in the HD console war.

To be fair, even IF the PS3 had released without a Blu-ray drive and at a cheaper price. I have a feeling it would still be selling a lot less than the Wii, which seems to have tapped in to a completely different kind of market. But who knows really.

braimuge

Banned
nib95 said:
To be fair, even IF the PS3 had released without a Blu-ray drive and at a cheaper price. I have a feeling it would still be selling a lot less than the Wii, which seems to have tapped in to a completely different kind of market. But who knows really.

What Nintendo did is simply genius. You're right, we don't know what would happen indeed.

Top Bottom