• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2015 Q2: 6.6M 360+XBO Shipped

ZhugeEX

Banned
Really all we're trying to figure out is a rough shipping number for December. You've got December starting numbers, so the questions about how many x360 sold during the calendar year are pretty much meaningless. If XB1 shipped 2 million in December, you've got the 12m shipped. If they shipped more than a small amount of x360's, you probably don't come to the 12m.

I'm in the 11-11.5m camp shipped personally.

The issue with the "sold 10 million" statement that others have pointed out is that there was no clarification given on time frame and whether they were just quoting their previous PR or not.

Now it's clear that when MS said they were approaching 10m... they were going to ship 10m. And it seems like this could have happened in December as I said in a previous post. It's very reasonable to assume that MS were over 10m by December.

(BTW we know USA alone counted for more than 1.3m sell through in December alone, UK can be estimated to be over 200k at an absolute minimum)

But just to highlight your bit in bold, 360 shipments are not pointless as MS combined shipments for Q2-Q4 for the calender year. So we have to take into account these official shipped figures. The reason why we take this into account is that we have a very good idea of how the Xbox 360 has been dropping YOY over the past couple of years. It's been around ~30% to around ~40% drops over the past couple of years and CY2014 Q1 showed a total 40% drop YOY. We also know that due to the X1 release the 360 should sell considerably less in CY2014 compared to 13.

Working out 360 shipments accurately also allows us to say certain things, for example, too high and suddenly the 360 is doing better worldwide than the PS2 did in it's ninth year and is out shipping the PS3 by more than 1m-1.5m units. Too low and suddenly the Xbox 360 doesn't have a market outside the USA at all. We also have enough data for Q2 and Q3 in order to use X360 shipments accurately to see how Q4 would perform based on past trends and how X360 could do as a whole YOY.

As I've said before, I take so much hard data into account before making any post on this forum. Looking at PS2, PS3, X360 trends was just one of the many things I did in order to arrive at 11.5m-12.0m

I agree 100%. I still see the PS4 outselling the XB1 by a couple hundred thousand in the US/UK this year and worldwide it goes without saying that PS4 will dominate. It will definitely be a 2:1 ratio again. Both consoles will sell more than what they sold last year with how strong the lineups are and with last gen fading quite a bit more.

Yup. Although I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One does start to drop off after that, it could even start to drop this year which wouldn't be a good sign for the console.

Just FYI, thought this was interesting, Pachter released a report under wedbush morgan this time last year that said the PS4 would sell in 16.5m by the end of CY2014 and Xbox One would sell in 13 million units. I think they really underestimated how much better the PS4 would do and how poorly did the Xbox did without that price cut.

Really all we're trying to figure out is a rough shipping number for December. You've got December starting numbers, so the questions about how many x360 sold during the calendar year are pretty much meaningless. If XB1 shipped 2 million in December, you've got the 12m shipped. If they shipped more than a small amount of x360's, you probably don't come to the 12m.

I'm in the 11-11.5m camp shipped personally.

X1 sold through 1.3M in the USA for December, so I don't think 2M shipped WW for Dec. is a stretch at all, especially if they overshipped.....I mean USA&UK combined, they probably sold through 1.5M to consumers*, and all that is without even taking the rest of the world into consideration...

That is why I'm confident in my 11.5M units shipped prediction, and since a lot of people here seem to think that 11.5-12M is "optimistic", can we at least all go for 11.25-11.75M?

*we obviously don't have UK December numbers yet (do we?), but considering that the X1 sold ~100k just over BF weekend, I don't think ~200k sells for all of December is a stretch.

Agreed. But we have enough data in order to make an accurate prediction.
You really don't. You're taking an estimate of the first 5-6 weeks of sales in the largest markets, and using it to determine minimum, worldwide sell through over 58 weeks. Sorry, but that's a pretty significant extrapolation.

They're relevant when you have the up to to date data to compare to the older data. (referring to US, UK, FRA, GER)
Except there were huge discounts in the US and UK, and France and Germany were kind of clearing houses for T2 through September. None of which you've taken in to account, incidentally.

But then you can't say that you think sell through is X like you did before. If there are too many variables then you simply step back and say you can't come to a decison. Instead you came to a decision based on the numbers we have, except you didn't believe MS could sell that many. That's not exactly proving anything is it?
I never said it was X. I said 3M seemed high, and that it was only an estimate to begin with so it shouldn't be taken as infallible.

Because channel is different. That's looking at the shipped number vs the sold through number. Microsoft combined shipments for Q2-Q4 so it's impossible to say that Microsoft must have shipped X amount. We can estimate a certain number, but we can't say 100% that this number must be the exact number.
Well, right. That's how estimates work. Just not if you or MS are the ones doing the estimating, apparently.

If PS4 has 1m in the channel, we cannot say Xbox One will have more, we cannot say Xbox One will have less. It's impossible to put a figure on X1 channel units as we don't know what Xbox One shipped. We can put a figure on PS4 though.
We can certainly estimate XB3 channel volume though, in much the same way you've estimated their sell through.

It's pointless trying to consider this. And same goes to the poster above who did the whole 3/4 calculation as you pointed out.
It's no more pointless than considering your own estimations, apart from the fact you assume yourself and MS to be largely infallible. Sorry to sound like a dick, but you're being incredibly egotistical and condescending.

When I say hard to believe, I mean "surprising", "unexpected". Not "omg that can't be true, Microsoft must be lying to us".
When I say something is hard to believe, I mean that it's hard to believe, but I don't have enough information to say either way. Other times I can't be sure of something, but it can be comparatively easy to believe. For example, Sony's channel was surprisingly thin coming out of 2013, and I don't know if 4.2M sold through was a perfectly accurate estimate, but it's not hard to believe, because they were reported to be airlifting a lot of shipments throughout the holidays to attempt to meet demand.

Look at my Blackberry in the UK example.
Actually, I was gonna talk about one of your phone examples. One company told you they'd sold 1200 phones by lunchtime or whatever. Obviously, they didn't get that from NPD, but every time a phone is activated, it calls the mothership, so they know 1200 activations is 1200 sales. But, only 80% of new phones are actually activated on the spot, with the rest being activated 12+ hours later. So when they had 1200 activations, that would mean it was likely 1500 phones had been sold at that point. So were they lying when they said 1200, or was it a bad estimate on their part? Maybe they know about the 80% thing and took that in to account, so when they told you 1200 sales, it was because they'd had 960 activations. So no, they don't know they sold 1200 phones, but it's a perfectly accurate estimate, made in good faith, so there's no reason to question it, right? Well, since that phone was the new hotness, maybe people couldn't wait to start playing with it — especially the people who showed up before lunch — and so they had 93% on-the-spot activation that morning. So the 960 activations only represented 1032 sales instead of the estimated 1200. Were they lying, or did they have terrible methodology? Or was their methodology sound, but the launch simply didn't play out as they had predicted? There are all sorts of ways estimates can turn out wrong. Yes, even the estimates you make.

Yes, it's an estimate, but it's an estimate based on actual data and is an estimate that has been calculated to work out an absolute minimum.
It's a big estimate based on a tiny estimate that was made a long time ago. Not a lot of room for certainty and absolute minimums there.

Well they could include sell through if they want in their financials, but they recognize revenue on shipments. Hence why they post shipped figures.
I was under the impression that anything in the financials was subject to verification by the SEC, and they're not interested in estimates. That's why they only show shipments, because that's the only number they can be sure of, and tell the SEC, "Look, we booked the revenue here, shipped the product here, and the customer took delivery here." The SEC don't want to hear, "Plus probably 600k in T1.5," so those numbers don't go in to the financials, because there's no way to back them up.

Press releases can get them in trouble if very misleading, but at the end of the day those sell through figures don't contribute to the financials as they recognize revenue on shipped figures, if it sells to a user after that it doesn't matter. (well it does but not in their financials)
Okay, and just how bad does their estimate need to be before it's legally considered "very misleading"? What is the allowed level of incompetence? To go back to our phone example above, would overestimating their actual sell through by roughly 20% be legally actionable, or could they reasonably claim their "80% activated" methodology was sound, if not accurate in this particular case? What if they had been off by less than 10%?

Sell through is always estimated. You're never going to get a 100% accurate sell through number when you're talking about millions and millions of product through hundreds of thousands of retailers.
Again, sorta my point all along. The 3M figure was always nothing more than an estimate, and was never claimed to be a tally by anyone apart from you. You've taken this estimate of sales over a roughly 5-week period, and used it to somehow guarantee minimum sell-though over a period of nearly 60 weeks.

I get it. But you really can't just call out Microsoft and not include Sony or Nintendo. And we can't say company A is more likely to over estimate and company B is more likely to underestimate.
If we don't assume Allan and Bob to be equally competent and forthright, why would we assume Acme and BobCorp to be so?

We can account for 8.7m units. But it doesn't stop us using that very high number in order to come to a minimum sell through.
It might, if you're using a small, and possibly inaccurate sample to extrapolate the difference over an extended period of time.

If you're talking about German retailers and such then you have to take both that and the overall data into account. We know that sales in Germany were 100k in CY2013 and 170k for 11 months in CY2014. We can still see that sales were ok in CY2014 and likely are over 200k when you factor in month 12. Yet we still see reports of Xbox One not selling out in Germany.

The issue isn't that it's not selling, the issue is that they have too much stock. Whilst 200k is a low number, it's not zero. The Xbox One still sells in Germany but it's likely that MS have been over shipping to the German market. Simple supply and demand.
Err, I've kinda been the one arguing for a more comprehensive look at the situation here, you know. ;) Also, I never claimed their sales were zero. What I've been talking about all along is the fact they're over-shipped, which you acknowledge, but steadfastly refuse to discuss or even consider.

We know there is a likelihood MS over shipped, and it's something that I agree with. But we don't know how much they over shipped and what that means for channel. The Xbox One is available in a lot less markets than the PS4 so we could even see the Xbox One with lower number of units unsold.
I propose we refer to those additional markets as T3 for now. But yes, that's a good point. What do you suppose Sony's channel volume is for T3? 100k? 200k? Impossible to say, so we should just forget all about it and go back to multiplying Microsoft's Week Six Sales Estimate out to Week Fifty-Eight? :p

Well, I can't really argue against you on the dis-kinect thing (and there is no way to know what would have happened if they didn't unbundle), but I think that sales would have collapsed had they not made that move, and I think it took a while for the news to reach the broader consumer base that the X1 was cheaper.
Perhaps. I hadn't really considered that. Really though, even in the US, sales were pretty poor following the initial launch rush, which actually seemed to die out even before Christmas. Nothing they did really moved the needle all that much until the holidays, with all of the bundling on top of hardware discounts as much as 30% at times.

Now I think your idea that the PS4 will drop to $299 is quite unlikely. While Sony could do that, they would be cutting a lot of profit, and if you think about it, the US and UK are the only regions where they need to be price competitive....PS4 could outsell X1 in Europe 2-1 easily this year if Sony decided to stick to €399.
I think they may drop the price $50 (if they drop it at all), though they can probably get by at $400 with a few aggressive bundles.
I seriously don't understand why you guys think Sony won't move on price until their sales tank and/or MS start catching up. Do you really not remember the PS1 and PS2? Sony reduce their production costs because it's a good thing to do, and then they reduce their retail price because they'll sell more hardware and thereby earn more money selling games. It has nothing to do with anything Microsoft or Nintendo are doing. It's about growing their own ecosystem as efficiently as possible. That's the mindset. Consumer psychology plays a big part in the strategy though. They could launch at $400 and drop the price $1/week, but that just tells people the longer they wait, the better off they are. As consumers, we all realize this, but there's no sense in constantly reminding us. So rather than drop the price a buck a week, they wait two years and drop the price $100 all at once. That allows them to milk the early adopters a bit more, and creates massive buzz in the broader market when the big price cut finally hits. And yeah, this fall we'll be two years out from launch, and all indications are Sony's box is getting significantly cheaper to build, so there's really no reason to not expect a significant cut. Sony have every reason to cut the price just as much as they can afford, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they could afford $100 two years out from launch.

My prediction for this year is

PS4: More than 37 million cumulative units sold in
XB1: More than 21 million cumulative units sold in
WiU: More than 13 million cumulative units sold in
Again, you seem to be ignoring the issue of over-shipment, even though you acknowledge it yourself. If we're figuring MS at ~7.8M shipped for the year, and we go with your 10M sold through, that means they out-shipped demand by about 800k. Those 800k are still sitting in the channel, waiting to be sold, before more orders are placed. But you're calling for shipments to be over 9M in 2015. To hit that, demand would need to cover the 800k excess already in the channel, plus 9M additional units. Demand for 9.8M units in 2015 would be a 40% increase in demand over the 7M estimated sold in 2014, and most of those were sold on the backs of significant price cuts.

On the other hand, you have demand for PS4 running about 17.5M in 2015, only a 22% increase over their 2014 demand of 14.3M. What causes XB3 demand to increase so dramatically while PS4 demand stalls by comparison? Do you understand why people would look at your XB3 prediction as optimistic, while your PS4 prediction seems pessimistic by comparison?

Same applies to sell through, I've done the math again, at a very minimum we can say say that the Xbox One has sold through more than 9 million units to customers. Now obviously you've all seen my post where I estimate 10 million as a minimum sell through. But if anyone says that sell through is 9m or less then they are 100% wrong as we can prove 9m through official data.
I could've sworn it was 8.7M when I went to bed…

If you want to say I'm wrong or that I'm "estimating" too high then I at least expect a post explaining why I am.
I thought it was "pointless to consider" anything which might indicate your projection may be off. You've started shouting down potential rebuttals before they've even been fully formulated. May we only rebut you with the data and methodology you provide? We're only here to check your math?

If all you can say is "It's too high because the Xbox One can't be doing that well", then that's not exactly a valid reason at all…
I think the same can be said about, "XBone is doing well because it was estimated to be doing well for a few weeks more than a year ago."

Just FYI, after CY2015 I expect the Xbox One to drop in sales quite a lot. Funny how none of you guys take into consideration that my prediction model says that.
When do you predict their sales will peak, and why?

I could be wrong, but I think he was suggesting below 10 million for sold through and I agree with him on that. However, neither sides could reach an agreement and it went on and on until the thread died for a short while. And I see the war is starting again...
Mostly, I was just saying it was possible it was less than 10M. Could be more than 10M. It's really hard for me to get an idea of how much MS have in the channel until I know how much Sony have. Zhuge maintains it's impossible to have any idea whatsoever how much stock MS are sitting on, although he maintains that he knows it's less than 2M units, and probably a lot less, regardless of any and all other indicators.

I think that the best situation for the consumers would be if all three platforms were equally healthy.
Yuck. That just leads to higher development costs, and fewer games being produced at lower quality. Competition doesn't mean compulsory multi-platform support. It means any and all companies being free to compete solely on merit, and letting consumers decide which is the best choice. There's nothing wrong with consumers actually making that decision and choosing a winner. On the contrary, as I said, in situations like this, making the choice will likely lead to better games produced at lower cost, and more of them.

Yuck. That just leads to higher development costs, and fewer games being produced at lower quality.

What? How? Explain this...
How would each console having a healthy ecosystem with non lopsided user bases harm development?

Competition doesn't mean compulsory multi-platform support. It means any and all companies being free to compete solely on merit, and letting consumers decide which is the best choice. There's nothing wrong with consumers actually making that decision and choosing a winner. On the contrary, as I said, in situations like this, making the choice will likely lead to better games produced at lower cost, and more of them.
Right, choice is all what I am about, and if one platform starts taking over and puts the others out of business, what do you have?? Less choice.

I honestly don't care who 'wins' as long as everyone stays in business and continues competing....
In the end, there needs to be a winner, but I don't like the idea of every generation being like the PS2 generation where one console gets 70%+ of the marketshare.

Chobel

Oh, well I just don't think that it is as healthy for the industry when one company takes almost everything....these situations can lead to a monopoly if it is sustained for long enough, and monopolys can be bad. (of coarse this does not mean it is allays bad, but it can be).

I think that the best situation for the consumers would be if all three platforms were equally healthy.

Now I'm not so much worried about Xbox at the moment as I am worried about Nintendo. They have (in my opinion) what is probably the best 1st party, and yet their platform is incredibly unhealthy right now (coming from a Wii U owner). I think that they need to be able to embrace 3rd parties like Playstation and Xbox have, but right now they are just sooooo far away from that.

And it is not just a HW problem (though that is a big part of it). Their network is a long ways behind XBL & PSN (opinion), though it has improved.
They have a lot of work to do, but I hope that they can improve their platform for next generation, and of coarse, their biggest obstacle is going to be name brand...

I am aware that the gap will widen over time units wise, but I think it is too early to say that it will widen ratio wise.
I think that we could have a similar 2:1 ratio by the end of 2015 once everything is all said and done.
Of coarse PS4 will almost definitely have much longer legs once next gen gets here, but
I wouldn't assume that the gap will grow that big (3:1?) until after the next Xbox come out.

EDIT: you with the calculations I'v done, I believe/predict that X1 will sell 60m units by the end of 2020. I think PS4 can do 130m in the same timeframe.

You didn't give a single negative in PS2 era, and you probably can't. PS2 era was probably the best gaming era, and the industry was really healthy in the time. Gaming industry problems actually started in PS360 era.

What? How? Explain this...
How would each console having a healthy ecosystem with non lopsided user bases harm development?

Developing and marketing for one single platform is cheaper and simpler than developing/marketing for many platforms?

You didn't give a single negative in PS2 era, and you probably can't. PS2 era was probably the best gaming era, and the industry was really healthy in the time. Gaming industry problems actually started in PS360 era.

I don't think that the PS2 gen. was all that bad (did I say it was). But I did not really participate much in that generation either, so i wouldn't really know. (I think I got a gamecube, and kept it for about a year or so...never owned OG xbox or PS2)

The worse effect of the PS2 generation (some would say) is Sony thinking they could sell PS3 at such a high price, and making the PS3's hardware so hard to develop for.
My main point though is that if any one brand began to dominate for too long, then it would lead to a monopoly. I don't really think we have had a monopoly in the game console space before....(maybe the original nintendo?)...and if so, then it was not for long.

I mean lets just pretend that Sony decided that they lost too much money on PS3, and decided not to make a PS4....

We would be left with the X1 as a monopoly (just about), and a lot of the stuff they had imposed like DRM and the XBL paywall, and Kinect probably would not have gotten reversed.
Also, what was so bad about the PS360 generation?? What 'problems' are you talking about?? DLC? -- that was a result of the internet/online phenomena, not marketshare.

Developing and marketing for one single platform is cheaper and simpler than developing/marketing for many platforms?
Marketing for multiple consoles is not more expensive....it is as easy as announcing multiple platforms, and putting multiple platform logos at the end of each ad.

Development for multiple platforms IS more expensive, yes, but not to a big degree if we are talking about X1 & PS4.
They are both x86 machienes with 8GB of ram, the same CPU, and the same GPU architecture (with the PS4's being a bit larger). From what I have read from developers, cross development between the two platforms is very very easy, and a lot less expensive than last gen where you had the PS3's cell to account for.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You really don't. You're taking an estimate of the first 5-6 weeks of sales in the largest markets, and using it to determine minimum, worldwide sell through over 58 weeks. Sorry, but that's a pretty significant extrapolation.

Except there were huge discounts in the US and UK, and France and Germany were kind of clearing houses for T2 through September. None of which you've taken in to account, incidentally.

Blimey, lots to read. Thanks for getting back to me.

In regards to imports It's something I've taken into account. I think it's probably on one of the other pages where I mentioned it. I've also factored in US and UK discounts and bundles.

I'm not just taking 2 months of tracking, we have data for other tier 1 countries in CY2014 for 11/12 months as well as tidbits of data from countries like Spain, Italy, Australia, Japan etc...

As I said, big picture is looked at overall.

I never said it was X. I said 3M seemed high, and that it was only an estimate to begin with so it shouldn't be taken as infallible.

Again we're going back to that "Microsoft must lie to us about sales" thing. It's an argument I don't want to bring up again as It's already been talked about plenty in the past.

In this case, all I'll say is that if you can't trust Microsoft sell through figures then we can't trust sell through figures from anyone. Not any company ever.

Lets look at media create in Japan for example, you don't see people in the media create thread shouting about how their numbers are inaccurate (at the end of the day, all tracking in terms of sales to end users is just an estimate) or how media create must be wrong and that X game can't have sold that much. People use Media Create as an official source of data in the same way that people use Microsoft as an official source of data or use Gartner as an official source, or NPD etc....

So this argument is one of the most pointless ones I've seen in a while Even Aquamarine was calling out other posters on here for not trusting these official numbers.

We can certainly estimate XB3 channel volume though, in much the same way you've estimated their sell through.

Not accurately. I'd be a very broad 0.5m-2.0m estimate. Could be higher, could be lower. At the moment there is no way to accurately come to a rough estimate.

It's no more pointless than considering your own estimations, apart from the fact you assume yourself and MS to be largely infallible. Sorry to sound like a dick, but you're being incredibly egotistical and condescending.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take it on board and try to post in a different manner. Apologies If you feel I've come across that way.

As above, it's not that I think MS have to be always right, it's just we can't question official sources of data but not question other official sources of data. That's all I can say really. If you still truly believe MS must be lying or inflating numbers then there is nothing else I can say.

When I say something is hard to believe, I mean that it's hard to believe, but I don't have enough information to say either way. Other times I can't be sure of something, but it can be comparatively easy to believe. For example, Sony's channel was surprisingly thin coming out of 2013, and I don't know if 4.2M sold through was a perfectly accurate estimate, but it's not hard to believe, because they were reported to be airlifting a lot of shipments throughout the holidays to attempt to meet demand.

Understand. MS's shipments numbers are not hard to believe as we know they most likely over shipped. In fact I think you said 11.8m yourself which according to some on here is "too high". In regards to sell through we can agree to disagree on that but I feel I've provided enough evidence to show how 8.7m is a hard minimum and 10m is a soft minimum.

Actually, I was gonna talk about one of your phone examples. One company told you they'd sold 1200 phones by lunchtime or whatever. Obviously, they didn't get that from NPD, but every time a phone is activated, it calls the mothership, so they know 1200 activations is 1200 sales. But, only 80% of new phones are actually activated on the spot, with the rest being activated 12+ hours later. So when they had 1200 activations, that would mean it was likely 1500 phones had been sold at that point. So were they lying when they said 1200, or was it a bad estimate on their part? Maybe they know about the 80% thing and took that in to account, so when they told you 1200 sales, it was because they'd had 960 activations. So no, they don't know they sold 1200 phones, but it's a perfectly accurate estimate, made in good faith, so there's no reason to question it, right? Well, since that phone was the new hotness, maybe people couldn't wait to start playing with it — especially the people who showed up before lunch — and so they had 93% on-the-spot activation that morning. So the 960 activations only represented 1032 sales instead of the estimated 1200. Were they lying, or did they have terrible methodology? Or was their methodology sound, but the launch simply didn't play out as they had predicted? There are all sorts of ways estimates can turn out wrong. Yes, even the estimates you make.

wow....

You have some trust issues man. Like I said, if you can't believe Microsoft numbers then you can't believe anyones. Not Sony, Not Nintendo, not anyone.

Xiaomi sold through 1.16m on that day. That's a direct number and fact from Xiaomi themselves.
In the same way that Apple selling 10m units of their iPhone 6 series on the opening weekend is fact.

Unless we should suddenly start questioning every single number that comes into existence ever?

I was under the impression that anything in the financials was subject to verification by the SEC, and they're not interested in estimates. That's why they only show shipments, because that's the only number they can be sure of, and tell the SEC, "Look, we booked the revenue here, shipped the product here, and the customer took delivery here." The SEC don't want to hear, "Plus probably 600k in T1.5," so those numbers don't go in to the financials, because there's no way to back them up.

When I say financials I mean it in the broader sense in terms of everything that investors get to see. They could include sell through figures if they wanted to in a presentation to investors or in notes etc... Some companies do this, Blackberry for example.

It might, if you're using a small, and possibly inaccurate sample to extrapolate the difference over an extended period of time.

Again. I'm not going to bother responding if all you can say is Microsoft must be lying about everything. It's really a childish argument.

Err, I've kinda been the one arguing for a more comprehensive look at the situation here, you know. ;) Also, I never claimed their sales were zero. What I've been talking about all along is the fact they're over-shipped, which you acknowledge, but steadfastly refuse to discuss or even consider.

I do consider it and discuss it. All I've said Is we can't put an accurate figure on it. With Xbox Shipments we can, with sell through we can put a minimum figure but not an accurate figure.

I could've sworn it was 8.7M when I went to bed…

Anyone thinking that UK + Ger December + 9 tier 1 countries + 28 tier 1 countries in 2014 didn't sell more than 300k combined is crazy.

I thought it was "pointless to consider" anything which might indicate your projection may be off. You've started shouting down potential rebuttals before they've even been fully formulated. May we only rebut you with the data and methodology you provide? We're only here to check your math?

The reason death got banned is because he called me out in every single post with no evidence or any reason to.

I've posted my calculations over the previous pages, I'm not going to write up a 1,000 page report or anything. With yourself, the argument is that "Microsoft must be lying to us about sell through figures" which is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've heard on gaf. It belongs on something like the chartz forum or some other gaming forum. In the past you've agreed with me that 8.7m is a minimum we can come to using hard data, but then you say that MS could or must be wrong about 3m. So how can you even agree with my 8.7m calculation in the first place? As I've said before, if you're going to question official data again in your next post there is no point in me responding as it'll just be me repeating this.

When do you predict their sales will peak, and why?

Hard to say but probably this year if not the year after. Numerous reasons. I mentioned this on a previous page as well. Mainly to do with price, games and marketing.

Mostly, I was just saying it was possible it was less than 10M. Could be more than 10M. It's really hard for me to get an idea of how much MS have in the channel until I know how much Sony have. Zhuge maintains it's impossible to have any idea whatsoever how much stock MS are sitting on, although he maintains that he knows it's less than 2M units, and probably a lot less, regardless of any and all other indicators.

Again, see the post above. It's impossible to know what an accurate number of unsold units will be.

Just putting in the effort to reduce... say... a 5:1 ratio to a 4:1 ratio is still an effort.

MS won't win WW, but there's a difference between handing it over to Sony or struggling to ensure Sony don't win too drastically.

well then why don't they make the price cut effective worldwide instead of just the U.S?

well then why don't they make the price cut effective worldwide instead of just the U.S?

Yeah, MS needs to realize that a big part of the reason the EU likes playstation so much is because Sony treats them like first priority customers.

If MS really wants Xbox to do good in Europe, they are going to need to start taking some drastic measures to show European gamers their commitment....

-To start, they need to start offering price parity with the US.
-Then maybe throw some xbox events there for existing xbox fans there to meet,and try out upcoming games and stuff like that.
-Put more into the European marketing budget, and make more European bundles with games like the Witcher 3.
-Double down on localization for all their AAA games (not just subtitles!)
-And then to top it off, when they announce the next Xbox, make a point to do in Europe (Like maybe Germany), and have it launch in all European countries on day one.

Of coarse I would be surprised if they did any of this, especially the last one, but my point is that if they put a lot more into Europe, they might just be surprised to get more out of the European market....

Javin98

Banned
Because even with a price cut world wide, it won't do much in the grand scheme of things. It would still get outsold handily by the PS4 in most countries, especially in Asia where the price is not really the factor but the popularity of the brand is. Hell, I have yet to see an XBox One here in Malaysia and I'm not even sure if Microsoft has launched it here yet or will even plan to. Meanwhile, the PS4 is doing incredibly well, almost as well as the PS2 in Malaysia despite not being hacked to play pirated games yet. Don't know about other Asian countries, but I'm pretty sure Playstation is way more popular there too. Oh, and the PS4 is close to 1 million units sold in Arabian countries too.

chithanh

Banned
In this case, all I'll say is that if you can't trust Microsoft sell through figures then we can't trust sell through figures from anyone. Not any company ever.
You have some trust issues man. Like I said, if you can't believe Microsoft numbers then you can't believe anyones. Not Sony, Not Nintendo, not anyone.
That is a false dichotomy. The purported numbers are neither infallible gospel nor all guesswork. That the manufacturer is on public record with these numbers does not preclude us from applying critical thinking to them.

We know that some numbers are harder to accurately get hold of than others. For sold-in/shipments you just look at your contracts and/or call the factory and ask how many units have left the building. For sold-through this is much harder, and if Microsoft had an accurate way of finding out sold-through internally, they would not pay for data from market research companies.

Then there are situations when manufacturers have extra motivation to be accurate (SEC filings). And there are situations where manufacturers would really, really like to give high numbers (PR statements on launch day).

In the case of Microsoft day-1 sell-through, I think we have established that there is no way that they could have gotten them from a credible external source (GfK/NPD). We also know that simply counting product activations is contrary to their goal of touting high sales. So almost certainly this method is not used exclusively, but additional calculations were made on top of them.

For the 3.0 million sold-through in 2013, this number is at least in part based on GfK/NPD data, so can be seen as mostly accurate. But we know that big retailers like Media-Saturn moved some stock around in Europe (many consoles destined for the German market actually ended up in the Netherlands, Poland, Scandinavian countries and Switzerland; French consoles were moved to Belgium and Spanish ones to Portugal), a situation that is quite unusual and may not have been accurately tracked by the employed methods.

For those who already think that 3.0 million is on the extremely optimistic side, fueled by reports from Spain that they sold-through only half of what a tier 1 country outside US/UK/FR/DE needs to sell on average in order to achieve a total 3.0 million, saying that Microsoft maybe overtracked this number by 100-200k is not equivalent to saying "we can't trust sell through figures from anyone".

ZhugeEX

Banned
For those who already think that 3.0 million is on the extremely optimistic side, fueled by reports from Spain that they sold-through only half of what a tier 1 country outside US/UK/FR/DE needs to sell on average in order to achieve a total 3.0 million, saying that Microsoft maybe overtracked this number by 100-200k is not equivalent to saying "we can't trust sell through figures from anyone".

But Sony announced 18.5m, yet we can only realistically account for around ~12 million of those sales....

So where did the other 6.5m come from....?

Why is it that serverserfer can say stuff like "18.5m is believable" and must be right. And that Microsoft's 3.0m is "hard to believe", must be wrong and cannot be trusted.

Do you not see the point I'm trying to make here?

Also, I don't know if you guys remember but Sony have been vocal on first day sell through before as well with the PS2/PS3. How come no one is questioning that number?

In the case of Microsoft day-1 sell-through, I think we have established that there is no way that they could have gotten them from a credible external source (GfK/NPD). We also know that simply counting product activations is contrary to their goal of touting high sales. So almost certainly this method is not used exclusively, but additional calculations were made on top of them.

Why do you say this? When tracking companies can provide day 1 numbers for a lot of things, who's to say that MS weren't getting their numbers from an external source as well as their own internal sources. I don't think you understand that GFK Chart track and other companies has figures for day 1 as well. Media Create for example usually release day 1 figures, Chart Track usually release day 1 figures. It's how these companies are able to see how well their product is doing. It's why Sony didn't wait till after NPD to tell us it was 18.5m sold through. They were able to get access to the information very early on.

The fact is that this is possibly one of the most fanboy orientated arguments I've ever seen. It's like me going into my work and saying "Apple must be lying about 74.5m sold, there is no way they outsold Samsung this quarter as we all know Samsung are the number 1 mobile manufacturer".

Javin98

Banned
But Sony announced 18.5m, yet we can only realistically account for around ~12 million of those sales....

Why is it that serverserfer can say stuff like "18.5m is believable" and must be right. And that Microsoft's 3.0m is "hard to believe", must be wrong and cannot be trusted.

Also, I don't know if you guys remember but Sony have been vocal on first day sell through before as well with the PS2/PS3. How come no one is questioning that number?

Why do you say this? When tracking companies can provide day 1 numbers for a lot of things, who's to say that MS weren't getting their numbers from an external source as well as their own internal sources.

The fact is that this is possibly one of the most fanboy orientated arguments I've ever seen. It's like me going into my work and saying "Apple must be lying about 74.5m sold, there is no way they outsold Samsung this quarter as we all know Samsung are the number 1 mobile manufacturer".
Nobody cares about that anymore because those generations are over and can't fuel console wars. XD All right, I was kidding.

Anyway, although I still disagree with your X1 sold through prediction, it's still unfair for you to be slammed like this. People should really learn to respect other predictions without going "this can't be right, too high/low!" because a prediction may be right or wrong.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Nobody cares about that anymore because those generations are over and can't fuel console wars. XD All right, I was kidding.

Anyway, although I still disagree with your X1 sold through prediction, it's still unfair for you to be slammed like this. People should really learn to respect other predictions without going "this can't be right, too high/low!" because a prediction may be right or wrong.

Haha, it's cool. But the above post was more in line with official data we get from Sony and MS. I don't really care if people want to say my prediction is wrong or whatever. (as long as they're not like death who won't let it go)

But saying the figures used to calculate the prediction is wrong because MS must be lying to us about sell through numbers is just a really bad argument that makes no sense. Especially when the other argument is that Sony's 18.5m is a believable number.

For the record, and I've said this before. Both numbers are official numbers.

Javin98

Banned
Haha, it's cool. But the above post was more in line with official data we get from Sony and MS. I don't really care if people want to say my prediction is wrong or whatever. (as long as they're not like death who won't let it go)

But saying the figures used to calculate the prediction is wrong because MS must be lying to us about sell through numbers is just a really bad argument that makes no sense. Especially when the other argument is that Sony's 18.5m is a believable number.

For the record, and I've said this before. Both numbers are official numbers.
I think what most people are finding hard to believe, myself included, is that the X1 is really doing as well as you predict it to be in ROTW. But when they start doubting official numbers, I don't really know what to say

Leflus

Glad to see that the XBO did okay numbers last year. I hope it does similar or better numbers this year.

There are obviously some stuff that could be done better (full year release schedule instead of the usual fall splooge) or outright removed (parity clause), but I feel like the Xbox division is on the right course at the moment.

Also nice to see that the 360 might pass 90 million. Well deserved imo.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think what most people are finding hard to believe, myself included, is that the X1 is really doing as well as you predict it to be in ROTW. But when they start doubting official numbers, I don't really know what to say

I agree with you in regards to doubting official numbers. I really don't know what to say either.

In regards to ROTW, Xbox sales outside USA and UK really are terrible tbh. Especially when you consider that US+UK cumulative sell through will come to around ~7.5m just on their own. (I've added 200k minimum for UK December sales into that number).

Now when you compare that to the PS4, in regards to USA and UK sales, we can say that sales are likely to be over 8 million (closer to 8.5m). And we know that sell through overall is 18.5m which is 10m more. Or to give a rough percentage, 43-45% of total sales.

Where as with Xbox we can see that (if we do take 10m as a minimum) that US and UK accounts for around ~75% of total sales, if not slightly less.

A very big difference.

Phew! Can someone summarize this topic?
KuGsj.gif

Has the One passed Wii U for sure now?

Javin98

Banned
I agree with you in regards to doubting official numbers. I really don't know what to say either.

In regards to ROTW, Xbox sales outside USA and UK really are terrible tbh. Especially when you consider that US+UK cumulative sell through will come to around ~7.5m just on their own. (I've added 200k minimum for UK December sales into that number).

Now when you compare that to the PS4, in regards to USA and UK sales, we can say that sales are likely to be over 8 million (closer to 8.5m). And we know that sell through overall is 18.5m which is 10m more. Or to give a rough percentage, 43-45% of total sales.

Where as with Xbox we can see that (if we do take 10m as a minimum) that US and UK accounts for around ~75% of total sales, if not slightly less.

A very big difference.
See, this is where our predictions differ. With my prediction of ~9.75 million sold through, I get a percentage closer to ~77% instead. But of course, it's a very small difference. Just stating my opinions :)

Anyway, I've seen your predictions countless times and though I disagree, I respect them. So let's stop these predictions until Sony releases their shipment numbers.

ZhugeEX

Banned
See, this is where our predictions differ. With my prediction of ~9.75 million sold through, I get a percentage closer to ~77% instead. But of course, it's a very small difference. Just stating my opinions :)

Anyway, I've seen your predictions countless times and though I disagree, I respect them. So let's stop these predictions until Sony releases their shipment numbers.

Yeh. Between 70-80% for sure. Where as PS4 is between 43-45%. A huge difference.

Sony shipment numbers won't tell us much about Xbox One channel unfortunately. Too many variables.

chithanh

Banned

Applying the same critical thinking to Sony's 18.5M number yields no result which is difficult to reconcile with their claims.
The missing 6.5M are sold to over 100 countries, almost all of which are Sonyland. Spain was at [thread=912200]360K PS4s sold-through in October[/thread], which is well above the average required for the remaining countries.

But if you have information which makes the 18.5M appear high, and reasons which could possibly skew Sony's perception of sell-through, feel free to share them with us.

I have not said that these day-one numbers are correct or reliable for extrapolation. They may or may not be subject to the same issues that the Microsoft numbers are.

If you ask me, for a product that sells out (almost) everywhere at launch, the sell-through might actually be somewhat easier to determine than for a product that sells-through only part of the initial shipment. But that is just my uninformed opinion.

ZhugeEX

Banned
But if you have information which makes the 18.5M appear high, and reasons which could possibly skew Sony's perception of sell-through, feel free to share them with us.

Bruh.... do you even read my posts.

I've always said Sony's number is correct. I'm not some Xbox fanboy. I'm the one who's been maintaining that numbers from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo in relation to sell through are correct. How can you possibly accuse me of thinking that I'm a deluded fanboy who thinks MS is right and Sony must be wrong. I've never said or implied anything of the sort. If anything, you guys are the ones not believing official numbers from MS but taking Sony to be correct..... This hypocrisy is unbelievable.

It's funny how both you and serverserfer have said to me that we can't use official data from 4 countries in 2014 + 13 countries in 2013 to make a prediction of 10m. But apparently we can use 1 country (Spain) to make a prediction of under 10m. Do you understand how ridiculous that argument is? I've already said my prediction and that's that. You can disagree with me if you want. But saying stuff like the above is just ridiculous.

chithanh

Banned
Um. Do you even read my (and serversurfer's) posts?

I said that Microsoft's numbers are possibly off because of other information which is difficult to reconcile with their claims.
I said that the same information which makes Microsoft's numbers suspect does not apply to Sony.

If you give us such information, then we may also start thinking that Sony's numbers are off. Until then, we have no reason to assume that they are incorrect.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I said that Microsoft's numbers are possibly off because of other information which is difficult to reconcile with their claims.
I said that the same information which makes Microsoft's numbers suspect does not apply to Sony.

Seriously wtf....

I'm done. You guys can believe that Microsoft make up all their numbers and only Sony give accurate numbers if you want....

chithanh

Banned
I said that every statement needs to be viewed individually and critical thinking needs to be applied to each, no matter who made it.

For most statements (I hope), the result of critical thinking will be that all appears fine.
For some statements though we may see issues which can make us doubt the accuracy of the statement.

Edit: Pardon the excursion here, but as I am employed by university, I can give some examples of my work:
We get a couple of papers which claim to have X=1,Y=2,Z=3.1 as result. They have been peer reviewed, which is good. But even false statements pass peer review sometimes. So we look at each author's conclusions and how he claimed to derive them from the data. Do we think that the author used the proper methods? If there are papers which seemingly contradict (say, we know that X+Y<Z usually), can we reconcile them by looking at different interpretations of the data? It could be that the paper which determined Y reached his conclusion without solid basis in data, and the reviewer didn't catch it. Or it could be that X+Y<Z doesn't hold in this case because of special circumstances.

Gestault

For some statements though we may see issues which can make us doubt the accuracy of the statement.

A publicly traded company making false claims about sales performance would be a big deal. Criminal, in fact. So you're saying there's reason to doubt it. If I felt that way, I'd present that evidence to a member (one of whom agrees with you in this discussion would make sense) and have them create a thread presenting that evidence. Your evidence-gathering could honestly help with tort litigation for stock-holders, or even a criminal investigation if the implications are potent enough.

But if you don't have enough evidence to do that, what you're doing is just disruptive. If you think someone's wrong, let them be wrong. When the new sales figures come out, you'll have been right and nothing bad will have happened.

chithanh

Banned
A publicly traded company making false claims about sales performance would be a big deal. Criminal, in fact. So you're saying there's reason to doubt it. If I felt that way, I'd present that evidence to a member (one of whom agrees with you in this discussion would make sense) and have them create a thread presenting that evidence. Your evidence-gathering could honestly help with tort litigation for stock-holders, or even a criminal investigation if the implications are potent enough.
Yes, I said a few posts earlier that sometimes, companies have extra motivation to be correct, such as in SEC filings. Also note that I did not claim that Microsoft intentionally mislead anybody, which would be criminal.

But if you don't have enough evidence to do that, what you're doing is just disruptive. If you think someone's wrong, let them be wrong. When the new sales figures come out, you'll have been right and nothing bad will have happened.
I think I pointed out why these numbers appear too high for me. I did not say that they are outright wrong, just pointing to some uncertainty and saying that maybe 100-200k are not counted properly. If there is new information on how the grey imports were counted, or more sales numbers for Tier 1 countries, this doubt could either be confirmed or dispelled.

Elandyll

Banned
X1 sold through 1.3M in the USA for December, so I don't think 2M shipped WW for Dec. is a stretch at all, especially if they overshipped.....I mean USA&UK combined, they probably sold through 1.5M to consumers*, and all that is without even taking the rest of the world into consideration...

That is why I'm confident in my 11.5M units shipped prediction, and since a lot of people here seem to think that 11.5-12M is "optimistic", can we at least all go for 11.25-11.75M?

*we obviously don't have UK December numbers yet (do we?), but considering that the X1 sold ~100k just over BF weekend, I don't think ~200k sells for all of December is a stretch.

It doesn't work that way.
Most of the amounts Sold through in December were covered by the announced 10m shipped previously.

We have no idea how much was in channels already at the 10m treshold, or if MS lowered their shipments made in December considering that what shipped by the time mid December would come be the units on sale in January.
It is very likely that up to 1m units were shipped in December (putting the 2014 total shipped at 11m), but anything over that is imo quite optimistic (though not impossible).

FATALITY

Banned
By working with all the data we have from Microsoft in order to come to a rough estimate of where the final figure lies.

last time i checked they said about shipping 10m xbox by november or december I'm not seeing they selling 5 or 4m in 3 months

chithanh

Banned
Microsoft PR said that "Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One" on 12 November 2014. Notice the future perfect.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said on 3rd December: "Finally, our gaming business is thriving with the Xbox One hitting 10 million units sold." Notice the present continuous.

Sold-in based on official figures can be anything between those 10 million and 15.4 million. 11.5 million would be my guess, others think up to 12.0 million is realistic.

Because even with a price cut world wide, it won't do much in the grand scheme of things. It would still get outsold handily by the PS4 in most countries, especially in Asia where the price is not really the factor but the popularity of the brand is. Hell, I have yet to see an XBox One here in Malaysia and I'm not even sure if Microsoft has launched it here yet or will even plan to. Meanwhile, the PS4 is doing incredibly well, almost as well as the PS2 in Malaysia despite not being hacked to play pirated games yet. Don't know about other Asian countries, but I'm pretty sure Playstation is way more popular there too. Oh, and the PS4 is close to 1 million units sold in Arabian countries too.
You're Malaysian?

Well, you never know what a price cut could do. I understand the PlayStation brand is just stronger but $50 off is attractive. Also, when you say Arabian countries, do you mean in 1 specific country, or in the Middle East altogether is coming to 1 million units sold?
It is optimistic, but there's not necessarily some negative connotation in that and I don't know why people are acting like there is. Some wall street predictors are known as "optimistic" prognosticators, because they frequently err on the high end of the predictor scale. Others are known as "pessimistic", for the opposite reason.

The reason we might say you're 'optimistic' is because the general worldwide trend has been if anything usually worse than expected, not the other way around. This Holiday bucked the trend mainly just in UK and US. Considering that factor, we can say 12 million shipped is a very optimistic number, something like the high end of the scale.

Consider it another way: Who in there right mind would suggest XBO is at 13 million shipped? Very few if any if they've followed the news. That would mean 13 million is not a reasonable high end of the scale, it's not a plausible possibility and so it's not on the scale at all.

scaleofpredictionp4pd4.png

(Chart Note: From the Red Arrow back is 'pessimistic' predictions; from the Blue arrow forward are 'optimistic' predictions)

12 million is a plausible possibility with a probability that may or may not be low, but because it's the high end of the scale (where we say the scale is 10-12 million or something like that) we would call that prediction "optimistic". And if someone chose a 9.5-10 million number, we'd call that prediction "pessimistic". Neither have inherently negative connotations, they just represent the full range of the scale.
9.5m shipped is not only pessimistic, it's impossible. They announced last year they were approaching 10m shipped, they've most definitely reached that.
Yup.

Wii U is at 9.2m, X1 is around 11.5m-12.0m

I really wish the Wii U had more of a userbase. It's such a great system with great games.
11.5-12m units sold through? If you ask me that is a good sell point. If it is true, then mS should come out an announce that instead of having everyone here making their educated guesses.

The worse effect of the PS2 generation (some would say) is Sony thinking they could sell PS3 at such a high price, and making the PS3's hardware so hard to develop for.
To be fair, they started designing the PS3 during a worldwide economic boom, which had mostly turned in to a recession by the time it actually launched. Also, they didn't do anything like that with the PS2 after dominating with the PS1, which had been the most successful console of all time by far. The PS3 may not have been the smartest business move they ever made — though I ended up with a pretty sweet piece of hardware significantly below cost, so I'm not complaining too much — but I don't think "We have them right where we want them" really factored in to their business plan anywhere. Conversely, that was very much the impression I got regarding Microsoft's property removal system.

My main point though is that if any one brand began to dominate for too long, then it would lead to a monopoly. I don't really think we have had a monopoly in the game console space before….(maybe the original nintendo?)…and if so, then it was not for long.
Probably not, and even if it had, it probably wouldn't be as bad as you think. There's nothing inherently bad about one company having control over most or even all of the market. The problem comes when they start engaging in anticompetitive or anti-consumer behavior, especially the former.

Even if MS and Nintendo both exit the console business — and it seems unlikely the latter will anytime soon anyway — that still doesn't leave Sony with a monopoly position because there's nothing preventing Apple or Samsung or Amazon or Facebook or Valve from entering the business. The problem would come if Sony were to use their power and influence to prevent other companies from competing on merit. For example, imagine if Sony said XB360 games weren't allowed to have cross-game chat, because it wasn't possible on the PS3. That would be pretty terrible, right? Fortunately, Sony don't do that kind of stuff, and XBox was able to enter the marketplace freely and compete on merit. Now, one might argue we need to make sure Sony don't develop a monopoly again lest they start doing that kind of stuff, but again, they never did it in the past despite their dominance, and more to the point, they don't actually need a monopoly to do it. Microsoft have never held a dominant position in the console space, much less an actual monopoly, yet they have been using parity clause to veto features on PlayStation games since at least 2008, if not longer.

There's nothing inherently bad about dominating the market. It just depends on who holds that dominant position. Some can be trusted not to use a dominant position abusively, and others can't be trusted with even a significant position. Claiming all companies are the same is just as ridiculous as claiming all people are the same.

Also, what was so bad about the PS360 generation?? What 'problems' are you talking about?? DLC? -- that was a result of the internet/online phenomena, not marketshare.
I'm talking about the death of mid-tier development, excessive development costs, record numbers of bugs, games capped by the lowest common denominator, etc.

Development for multiple platforms IS more expensive, yes, but not to a big degree if we are talking about X1 & PS4.
They are both x86 machienes with 8GB of ram, the same CPU, and the same GPU architecture (with the PS4's being a bit larger). From what I have read from developers, cross development between the two platforms is very very easy, and a lot less expensive than last gen where you had the PS3's cell to account for.
I think if you look at dev teams for similar exclusive and multi-platform games, you'll find that team sizes are significantly larger on multi-plats. Also, even if the two systems are similar, they're not the same, so you're still developing and debugging two (or more) code bases simultaneously, making it that much harder to ensure there are no errors, especially if you only have a couple of guys working on it.

In regards to imports It's something I've taken into account. I think it's probably on one of the other pages where I mentioned it. I've also factored in US and UK discounts and bundles.
Regarding imports, I think you said something like, "It all balances out," but I wasn't paying close attention. I agree it balances out, but maybe not in the way you think. If T2 had demand for 120k and already bought 100k of them from France and Germany by June, that would mean that sales in France and Germany weren't as strong as they seemed, and the T2 launch wouldn't be additional demand so much as a shift in demand; sales that formerly took place in Germany would now take place in Finland instead.

Regarding the US and UK, yes, they saw good growth in 2014 compared to their 2013 sales, but a very significant number of those 2014 sales came in the final two months of the year, on the backs of heavy discounts and bundling. RotW got no such discounts, yet you use year-end sell-through in US and UK — along with reasonably strong though possibly inflated performance in France and Germany — to bolster your argument for strong sales in T1.5+.

See where I'm coming from here?

I'm not just taking 2 months of tracking, we have data for other tier 1 countries in CY2014 for 11/12 months as well as tidbits of data from countries like Spain, Italy, Australia, Japan etc…
My point is that the leap from 8.7M to 10M+ comes entirely from the extrapolation of a five-week estimation of sell through taken more than a year ago.

As I said, big picture is looked at overall.
As long as we don't look at the stock levels. ;)

Again we're going back to that "Microsoft must lie to us about sales" thing. It's an argument I don't want to bring up again as It's already been talked about plenty in the past.
lol Dude, you're the one that keeps bringing it up. I've said from the beginning there's no point in discussing it, and it's irrelevant anyway, because the real issue is that it's an estimate, not a tally, and even if it were a tally, you're doing too much extrapolation with zero direct evidence to back it up to be able to speak so confidently of minimum sell through.

Not accurately. I'd be a very broad 0.5m-2.0m estimate. Could be higher, could be lower. At the moment there is no way to accurately come to a rough estimate.
I disagree. I don't think looking at shipments is any more flawed than your methodology of gross extrapolation of tiny estimates made more than a year ago. At least we'd be looking more at the current conditions.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take it on board and try to post in a different manner. Apologies If you feel I've come across that way.
My point was, you're arguing that you have every right to put forth your estimates, and you are correct to feel that way. The problem is that you're preemptively shouting down alternate theories or estimates, and any attempts to point out that your input data may not be 100% accurate to begin with, as it was only an estimate. So do you see why you give the impression that your methods are infallible and unquestionable, while all other proposals are just a pointless waste of time which distracts from the Truth you have laid before us?

Understand. MS's shipments numbers are not hard to believe as we know they most likely over shipped. In fact I think you said 11.8m yourself which according to some on here is "too high". In regards to sell through we can agree to disagree on that but I feel I've provided enough evidence to show how 8.7m is a hard minimum and 10m is a soft minimum.
Well, before, we "knew" it was "at least" 10M, but now there's some softness there. Does that mean I'm making some progress? ^^

wow….

If you find everyone to be equally trustworthy and unquestioningly swallow everything put in front of you, I would argue that you're the one who has difficulty properly assigning trust.

Xiaomi sold through 1.16m on that day. That's a direct number and fact from Xiaomi themselves.
In the same way that Apple selling 10m units of their iPhone 6 series on the opening weekend is fact.
No, dude, those are estimates. I know you were concerned your English isn't strong — and as I said, it seems fine — but do you seriously not understand the difference between an estimate and a fact? =/

It's a fact that Apple and Xiaomi made those estimates, and it's also a fact that estimates are inherently inaccurate. That's why we call them estimates. I wasn't explaining how Xiaomi were able to lie to you. I was explaining how estimates come to be, and how even the best estimates can sometimes produce bad results.

Unless we should suddenly start questioning every single number that comes into existence ever?
I would heartily recommend that you question everything in existence. Even stuff that may or may not exist at all. You can learn a lot that way. :)

Again. I'm not going to bother responding if all you can say is Microsoft must be lying about everything. It's really a childish argument.
You seem to the be only one preoccupied with Microsoft's honesty here. I've said from the beginning that discussing it would likely be a huge waste of time.

I do consider it and discuss it. All I've said Is we can't put an accurate figure on it. With Xbox Shipments we can, with sell through we can put a minimum figure but not an accurate figure.
Then it seems like I should be able to put a minimum but not accurate figure on channel volume, right? :p

Anyone thinking that UK + Ger December + 9 tier 1 countries + 28 tier 1 countries in 2014 didn't sell more than 300k combined is crazy.
I don't think anyone is questioning that, but that's not the same thing as having Official Data making it a Fact.

In the past you've agreed with me that 8.7m is a minimum we can come to using hard data, but then you say that MS could or must be wrong about 3m. So how can you even agree with my 8.7m calculation in the first place?
All of the 8.7M come directly from NPD and/or GfK, if only via leaks, yes?

As I've said before, if you're going to question official data again in your next post there is no point in me responding as it'll just be me repeating this.
I feel like you've kinda gone off the track here. Microsoft's honesty or lack thereof was never anything more than a pointless tangent that you have latched on to and refuse to let go of. The point is that estimates of any kind are inaccurate by nature, so it's not always wise to use them in significant extrapolation, and probably even less wise to declare any result you produce to be some kind of certainty. Again, maybe this is a language thing, but there's an important difference between "seems likely" and "is certain."

Hard to say but probably this year if not the year after. Numerous reasons. I mentioned this on a previous page as well. Mainly to do with price, games and marketing.
So even though their sales may start dropping by the end of the year, you think they'll be making up enough ground in the start of the year to end up with a 40% increase in overall demand by the end of the year? How do they ship over 9M this year if they're already close to peaking?

That is a false dichotomy. The purported numbers are neither infallible gospel nor all guesswork. That the manufacturer is on public record with these numbers does not preclude us from applying critical thinking to them.
That's all I'm saying.

Wait a sec. Where did I say it must be right? It's an estimate, so it's unlikely to be right. But yes, it's believable and seems likely to be close. Could be 18.3M though, or maybe 18.6M. I really have no idea, and likely, neither do Sony, but their estimate strikes me as fairly reasonable. But yeah, I'd be quite surprised if it was exactly 18.5M. I think Sony's estimate is shaky enough that we shouldn't use it to estimate sales through year six and then declare it to be some known minimum. And I would argue that in many ways, that's a less significant extrapolation than the one you're using in your odd "prediction of the present" method.

Did Sony publish day-one sales for those consoles at hour-twelve? If they had, I certainly would've wondered how they could know that.

Why do you say this? When tracking companies can provide day 1 numbers for a lot of things, who's to say that MS weren't getting their numbers from an external source as well as their own internal sources. I don't think you understand that GFK Chart track and other companies has figures for day 1 as well. Media Create for example usually release day 1 figures, Chart Track usually release day 1 figures. It's how these companies are able to see how well their product is doing. It's why Sony didn't wait till after NPD to tell us it was 18.5m sold through. They were able to get access to the information very early on.
Do NPD and GfK actually provide hourly sell-through measurements in real time? This is the first I've heard of that. I was under the impression they did stuff weekly, even if they tracked daily. I figured that's why Sony didn't have their results until Sunday. They got them pretty quickly, but still after the weekly reporting period.

Do all of the countries in question even have NPD and GfK?

The fact is that this is possibly one of the most fanboy orientated arguments I've ever seen.
Perhaps, but again, you're the only one who's really making an issue of Microsoft's dishonesty. Yes, I find them to be dishonest, but again, that's not really the point here. I feel like you're trying to make that the point in an attempt to discredit me, since you continue to bring it up again and again, and keep saying, "How can we take anything you say seriously?" The point I'm trying to make is that you're making estimates based on estimates, pronouncing the results to be certainties, and declaring that we're only allowed to refute you using the data and analysis you and MS have chosen to provide to us.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Perhaps, but again, you're the only one who's really making an issue of Microsoft's dishonesty. Yes, I find them to be dishonest, but again, that's not really the point here.

That is the point.

As I said, I don't want to bring up this argument again as your entire argument consists of "Microsoft are wrong and Sony is right".

All of the 8.7M come directly from NPD and/or GfK, if only via leaks, yes?

It comes from NPD/GFK and MS. And yes, NPD and GFK are able to track in all tier 1 countries and some tier 2 countries. So how can you agree that 8.7m is right if MS got 3m wrong and NPD and GFK are just estimates and could be wrong as well. There is no logical reason why you should believe 8.7m yourself as you keep saying that I should "question every estimate" or whatever. Yet you do agree with me that 8.7m is valid? How does that work?

Again, as above. We're going round in circles where you're saying that MS is lying to us, and at the same time calling NPD and GFK into question. Just give it a rest.

Xbone numbers Shipped or sold? Surely Shipped right?

Both are shipped

chithanh

Banned
As I said, I don't want to bring up this argument again as your entire argument consists of "Microsoft are wrong and Sony is right".
Nobody said anything like that.

What was said is that Microsoft's sold-through statements on day 1 and for 2013 have issues which cast doubt on their accuracy. For Sony's 18.5M statement there are no such issues known.

The statements are not more or less credible based on which of the two companies made them.

Very unlikely to me that 77% of XB1 sales come from US/UK. Even at launch with only 13 launch countries, they only made up 72% of sales. No way it increased by 5% with 28 additional countries in the mix now(regardless of their size). If anything it slightly decreased or remained around the same. My current estimates would put it between 71-72% of sales. I could also see 73-75%, but anything higher than that seems very unlikely(my opinion, of course).

75% would mean 10 million sold-through if we assume the XB1 sold 200k in the UK in December.

chithanh

Banned
Don't forget that the holiday sales boost was largely confined to the US and the UK. There are no reports from other countries which confirm similar uptake. This would mean that the holiday sales have shifted the ratio towards US/UK, not away from it.

Bruh.... do you even read my posts.

I've always said Sony's number is correct. I'm not some Xbox fanboy. I'm the one who's been maintaining that numbers from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo in relation to sell through are correct. How can you possibly accuse me of thinking that I'm a deluded fanboy who thinks MS is right and Sony must be wrong. I've never said or implied anything of the sort. If anything, you guys are the ones not believing official numbers from MS but taking Sony to be correct..... This hypocrisy is unbelievable.

It's funny how both you and serverserfer have said to me that we can't use official data from 4 countries in 2014 + 13 countries in 2013 to make a prediction of 10m. But apparently we can use 1 country (Spain) to make a prediction of under 10m. Do you understand how ridiculous that argument is? I've already said my prediction and that's that. You can disagree with me if you want. But saying stuff like the above is just ridiculous.

What prediction is there to be made when we have an official sell-through number from Sony themselves? This whole back and forth is the result of MS withholding a comparably reliable figure...

rpg_fan

What was said is that Microsoft's sold-through statements on day 1 and for 2013 have issues which cast doubt on their accuracy.

To be fair, they knew how many units they'd shipped for day one. After a day of channel checking, they more than likely had a very solid idea that the initial shipment sold out, hence the announcement. Waiting for npd isn't necessary when you know the answer is 'all of them'.

Don't forget that the holiday sales boost was largely confined to the US and the UK. There are no reports from other countries which confirm similar uptake. This would mean that the holiday sales have shifted the ratio towards US/UK, not away from it.

Even if it did increase, which I've said was possible. It wouldn't be by 5%. That is a huge increase in terms of pure numbers. France and Germany have both doubled YOY just like the US/UK. Spain is one of the worst markets for XB1 and even then it remained flat YOY. I just can't see there being a 5% increase. Unless every other Tier 1 country completely collapsed in comparison to Spain, which isn't likely.

johnny956

They overshipped to hit whatever number they were shooting for. AC unity bundle is discontinued in our system but they'll be there for a while. Most stores have over a month of stock while some districts have over 3 months of supply that's not including what's sitting in the DC. This could change with promotions and such but current sales show it at that

ZhugeEX

Banned
What prediction is there to be made when we have an official sell-through number from Sony themselves?

That's kind of my point. I'm saying the exact same as you.

Sony sold 18.5m by the end of CY2014.
Microsoft sold 3 million by the end of CY2013.
Both are official sell through numbers.

Yet for some reason serversurfer and chithanh are saying that we can't believe 3.0m from Microsoft. We can only believe 18.5m from Sony.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? Just look at the below quote-

What was said is that Microsoft's sold-through statements on day 1 and for 2013 have issues which cast doubt on their accuracy. For Sony's 18.5M statement there are no such issues known.

chithanh

Banned
To be fair, they knew how many units they'd shipped for day one. After a day of channel checking, they more than likely had a very solid idea that the initial shipment sold out, hence the announcement. Waiting for npd isn't necessary when you know the answer is 'all of them'.
Except the initial XB1 shipment did not sell out in Germany. And channel checking may fail you if you don't ask the right questions. I wrote about it in an earlier post.

We don't exactly know how the grey imports to tier 2 countries were counted, so it is possible that Microsoft's method made them appear as sell-through.

For instance in this scenario (totally made up but not entirely implausible):
Microsoft want to find out sell-through in Germany but don't want to wait for GfK to tell them. So they ring up their contact at Media-Saturn and ask for inventory levels. Because shipment - inventory = sell-through, isn't it? What they don't take into account here is that Media-Saturn moved a significant number of consoles to the Netherlands, Sweden and elsewhere. Thus, their sell-through numbers would be artificially inflated by tier 2 imports.
See?

Sony sold 18.5m by the end of CY2014.
Microsoft sold 3 million by the end of CY2013.

Yet for some reason serversurfer and chithanh are saying that we can't believe 3.0m from Microsoft. We can only believe 18.5m from Sony.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?
Maybe we were not clear enough. Let me try once again to explain. The fact that one number is subject to issues is not dependent on who purported it.

PS4 18.5M cumulative sold-through until the end of December 2014 agrees with all data that is available.
XB1 3.0M cumulative sold-through until the end of December 2013 is surprisingly high given other data that is available. Plus we are looking at an unusual situation for retail (grey imports).

This is why we doubt the 3.0M and not the 18.5M. Not because we can only believe Sony.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Maybe we were not clear enough. Let me try once again to explain. The fact that one number is subject to issues is not dependent on who purported it.

PS4 18.5M cumulative sold-through until the end of December 2014 agrees with all data that is available.
XB1 3.0M cumulative sold-through until the end of December 2013 is surprisingly high given other data that is available. Plus we are looking at an unusual situation for retail (grey imports).

This is why we doubt the 3.0M and not the 18.5M. Not because we can only believe Sony.

You're more than clear. It's just such bs reasoning.

It'd be like me saying "well, we can only account for 12m PS4's using leaked NPD/GFK/Media Create data so there is no way the PS4 can be at 18.5m".

See how ridiculous that above quote is^

Now lets reverse it to what you think. "Well we can only account for 2.4m Xbox One's in 4 out of 13 using leaked NPD/GFK data so there is no way the Xbox One can be at 3m sold through".

See how that's also a ridiculous quote?

I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue this.

At the end of the day.

Sony sold 18.5m
Microsoft sold 3m.
These are offiicial numbers. end of.

(and no using Spain as a reason for XB1 not selling is dumb as well. Spain is just one of many markets, you cannot use Spain as a reason as to why a total of 9 markets did not account for 600k sales)

They overshipped to hit whatever number they were shooting for. AC unity bundle is discontinued in our system but they'll be there for a while. Most stores have over a month of stock while some districts have over 3 months of supply that's not including what's sitting in the DC. This could change with promotions and such but current sales show it at that
Is it normal to have 3 months of supply? What would be normal supply of stock? One month? Two weeks? Three weeks?

It doesn't work that way.
Most of the amounts Sold through in December were covered by the announced 10m shipped previously.

We have no idea how much was in channels already at the 10m treshold
, or if MS lowered their shipments made in December considering that what shipped by the time mid December would come be the units on sale in January.
It is very likely that up to 1m units were shipped in December (putting the 2014 total shipped at 11m), but anything over that is imo quite optimistic (though not impossible).

You can not know that the sold through in Dec was covered by overstock from the previous months unless you have information on how stuffed the channels were at the beginning of December, and you just admitted to not knowing.
We do have anecdotal evidence though, that a lot of stores in the US were sold out of X1s after Black Friday, so I don't think that it is a stretch to believe that they shipped most of if not more than the 1.3M that was sold in Dec NPD during the month of December for the US alone. (since they likely overshipped)

Where do you work retail?
3 months of supplies sounds like a lot for the US, but then again, there has been a lot of talk about how they over shipped in December...

Top Bottom