• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Two should be a DX12+ PC and release in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. The Xbox One has clearly lost this generation. It is dead outside the US and UK.

2. Microsoft has cut a generation short before.

3. A cheap DX12 PC dedicated to gaming running a cut down version of Windows 10 would unify the Windows and Xbox userbases.

4. The hardware could be refreshed every few years, Surface style.

5. Microsoft improve their competitive position against Sony and Valve.

Thoughts?

2017 would be far too early unless it has full 100% backwards compatibility, and even then I dont think consumers would be too thrilled

GavinGT

Banned
They're still making money even if they're losing to Sony. That wasn't the case with the OG Xbox. It's selling well enough.

Banned
Let's burn away billions of R&D and rush a product to the market because we're being outsold in our console division which makes up a fraction of our revenue.

DocSeuss

It's cute when people think that markets outside of the UK and US matter.

There is no such thing as winning or losing, there's only green to be made, and they're making green.

Lingitiz

2017 is too early, but I wouldn't be surprised if MS went for an infrastructure that is basically an HTPC whose library is completely compatible with PC's W10 Xbox App. It gives them access to an entire market that Sony and Nintendo cannot touch.

But it depends if they're willing to adopt an: "we don't care where our software sells as long as it sells" approach.

David___

Banned
They're gonna lose more money and all the good will they've been slowly getting back since Spencer took the helm. Theyre better off riding it out for the gen and make a better effort next time.

Gamezone

Gold Member
1. The Xbox One has clearly lost this generation. It is dead outside the US and UK.

3. A cheap DX12 PC dedicated to gaming running a cut down version of Windows 10 would unify the Windows and Xbox userbases.

Thoughts?

A PC?

Marvel

could never
I won't lie, I'd totally buy a new more powerful Xbox even if it released two weeks from now... so yeah I'm down.

But moolah is being made so nothing new will come for quite some time sadly.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Thoughts?
I'm with you.They need to launch a successor of the xbox one more before than after.End of 2017 it's the perfect date for me.4 years of this xbox is enough.

mike4001_

No,

But they will probably present their Xbox One Slim this E3.

Bring the price down to 299 and do a proper worldwide relaunch. So market the console as the "new thing" (even it´s just a small original version)

Maybe even put in the microphone into the console so everyone can use voice commands.

flattie

Their sales might be way behind the PS4, but they still appear healthy. I don't see why they would need to rush a new product to market. Far better to rebuild their reputation/brand with the X1 while taking time to create the successor system.

Drencrom

There is no such thing as winning or losing, there's only green to be made, and they're making green.

Are you for real? I really don't know when it comes to you and the bs you spout.

Protome

People need to start to comprehend the concept that not selling as well as a rival product doesn't make your product a failure. The Xbox One is still selling pretty well for a console, regardless of how well the competition is doing. An actually failing console would be the Wii U.

UK videogame sales have shrunk so much it's kinds crazy it still gets listed as one of the two most important sales regions.

The most important thing for the launch these next systems is Publishers need to be ready to go this time. Whether its 2017, 18, or 19. The severe lack of software in years 1 and 2 wasn't healthy for the industry and they just now seem to be fully recovering

Gamezone

Gold Member
When did Microsoft cut a generation short before? The original Xbox after 8 years? Was that short?

LewieP

You are wrong.

How exactly are Microsoft to make a profit selling a gaming class PC that outperforms the Xbox One, is priced competitively, and isn't subsidised by software license fees?

I think MS getting their hardware teams to make a mass market PC (as in not a tablet/phone/laptop) with full Windows on it is probably a decent idea, but it should not be a gaming focused device.

Edit: If the hypothetical device you are describing isn't able to install games from outside the MS ecosystem (ie Steam), then I'm not sure what the significant difference between the it and the Xbox One is. What features/functionality that couldn't be implemented through a software update are you after.

Femto.

The most important thing for the launch these next systems is Publishers need to be ready to go this time. Whether its 2017, 18, or 19. The severe lack of software in years 1 and 2 wasn't healthy for the industry and they just now seem to be fully recovering

This and cross gen-titles made it almost pointless for the average consumer to upgrade right away. Cross-gen shouldn't go farther than year one in my opinion.

GavinGT

Banned

It's not as if they didn't tell the publishers that these consoles were coming. Publishers were just risk-averse and didn't want to develop expensive games for small userbases.

Xbox One isn't destroying Microsoft, they can ride out this generation with a profit and focus on making more money with great first party games.

You are wrong.

How exactly are Microsoft to make a profit selling a gaming class PC that outperforms the Xbox One, is priced competitively, and isn't subsidised by software license fees?

Sell the hardware at cost in order to expand the reach of Xbox Live and make money from that.

It's not as if they didn't tell the publishers that these consoles were coming. Publishers were just risk-averse and didn't want to develop expensive games for small userbases.

Im aware. Many of the major pubs actually were very worried this entire generation was going to be a major bust.

That said, if they want a healthy industry they need to deliver and the biggest thing hurting it right now is the lack of new releases. Overall title releases are hugely down. 2016 seems to have a nice spike / trajectory going so hopefully we see more of that

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Before Microsoft releases their next console they need to figure out why they are in it. If it's for the green they'd be better off just investing the money in their other branches or double down on PC gaming. They've made no real contribution to the industry this generation. They tried DRM, they've bought exclusivity deals and cut their price by 50% which devalued hardware. The Kinect is dead, the Hololens has no real game application and all of their first party IPs are selling less for each instalment. They need to figure out why.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Thoughts?

1) Xbox One is doing well

2) Quitting this gen early is the best way for MS to lose credibility and goodwill.

3) Why would anyone buy this and not a high end PC? MS needs to give people a reason to buy their hardware.

4) Refer to point 3.

5) Yes, they should improve their competitive position against Sony. Valve and Steam aren't direct competition for MS.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
A very bad idea OP.

Original Xbox was dumped because Nvidia screwed MS over,and they were loosing money hand over fist for years with the parts.

With XB1, that isn't remotely the case just from the components alone

AniHawk

i don't think they'll go that short. essentially, i see the ninth generation as the one where we start to move away from dedicated hardware and into services. 'xbox' could turn into something offered by microsoft as a steam-like service on windows, and also as a dedicated gaming platform produced by microsoft and offered at retail.

microsoft is probably wanting out of this generation though. their original vision for xbox one was a compromise that no one wanted and it cost them heavily going in. i can definitely see them jumping into the ninth generation in 2018.

Nikodemos

Put a Pascal card in it.
And have it cost 800 bucks? Why? For that price you can build your own.

No. Give it the same type of APU XBone uses. 6 Zen+ CPU cores, Polaris GPU, HBM2 on-die shared L3 cache (I'd say 1 GB is a good size), 32 GB GDDR5X RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom