• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 leaked, Oct 18, Harlem Hellfighter DLC

What are you most excited to hear about today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Euron

Was waiting for the inevitable leak. Glad to see DICE taking a risk with the setting. Hopefully they don't go too crazy with alternate history and essentially make it into a futuristic game. But regardless, they have my attention from the setting alone.

It's too soon for a WWI game.

I agree, people saying a WWI game is insensitive are a bit ignorant of the fact that all of the war games we play involve us having fun reliving actual people's suffering.

I mean, I guess I could understand it a bit if this was Battlefield: Sandy Hook, but WWI was a long time ago.

I'm sure this may have been brought up, but what if it's a time-travel Battlefield? Like, you have to go to important battles of history to find out that one organization was actually behind it all.

Idk lol

Would much rather him be a black dude. I'd really like a decent story about a guy having to fight for a country where so many of its citizens treat you like shit.

pa22word

It will be an achievement for getting melee kills.

I hope there's not a campaign.

In fact, just looking at the marketing image shown makes me want to throw up all over my keyboard.

There was nothing good about that war. Every side was tainted equally throughout, and responsible for the bloodshed that ensued. Seeing a dude with fierce eyes, charging heroically into battle is not the image I think of when I try to imagine a common soldier heading into WW1. I think more of the dragoons of the Austro Hungarians charging headlong into Russian artillery and suffering something like a 40% outright casuality ratio. Then following the battle left to starve and fester in continuously deteriorating conditions as their country slowly collapses due to a war started at the top they knew they had no real chance of winning.

It was a terrible time, and I for one almost hope this game bombs outright if this is the message they try to spin the war into.

I'm no historian, but that cape seems mad stylish/steampunky for something that's just straight-up WW1, no frills or alterations.

raincape.jpg

I'm not saying it's not but if youre trying to get steampunk through in marketing material, a cape is probably too subtle.

Castef

Banned
Talking with an expert of warfare (the author of a famous WWI boardgame...)... he confirmed that everything which appears in the picture seems "realistic", with the exception of the mace/grenade.

Tuffty

What? Poor taste? It wouldn't work as an FPS? Good god these posts... Seriously watch the history channel. It's been documented all over this thread but there's a ton to this war, much more than sitting in a trench. Also, we've got games where you are mowing down people in a Russian airport, fake wars with China, and middle Eastern countries, but we are drawing a line at WWI? Even though a ton of Americans lost their lives, the odd circumstances in the war means we should just bury it?

All of which are fictional. Here you're talking about an actual war, one of the bloodiest in history where real mean lost their lives in the most horrific conditions you can think of and yet if it will be like any other DICE single player Battlefield campaign, then it will be glorifying in the violence.

Like I said in my previous post, you can have games in WW1, but a shooty mcbang bang FPS game? Can't see it working.

Boke1879

『Inaba Resident』;202796855 said:
Not even waiting for gameplay lol

The setting really does nothing for me as well but I'm interested in th gameplay. But Battlefield campaigns have been less than forgettable

Wait WW1...Black Main character? And he's on the cover?...itsbeen84years.gif

WW1 has me very interested. Cant wait to see how it plays.

Corto

I don't think it'll be straight WWI. John Harker mentioned lots of prototype weaponry.

World War I was a war of prototype weaponry by itself. The world never had a conflict such as this before. It completely revolutionised warfare hardware, tactics and strategies. Generals had to think outside of the box to try to gain some advantage on the enemy. Millions of men were sacrificed because of this clash between the classic warfare and the modern warfare.

Floody

WW1 setting will either be amazing or mega boring, nothing in between.

Good luck Dice, making trench warfare fun will be a challenge, but not impossible.

Dex815

That was WWII

The first fully functional Helicopter and any production came well after WWI.

(I suppose DICE could do what they want though)

Yes in WWII a few of them were used. But I think that by WWI there were already concepts under work (not production).

shandy706

did not know that.. thanks.. I was very young during WWI.

Going to be fun hearing all the online talk "Join my club".

You're 100 years old?!

Yes in WWII a few of them were used. But I think that by WWI there were already concepts under work (not production).

Some attempts at concepts happened even in the 1800s. I think the first functional helicopter was the 1930's period.

Nothing in the 1910s to 1920s though :)

Mully

Would much rather him be a black dude. I'd really like a decent story about a guy having to fight for a country where so many of its citizens treat you like shit.

Let's be honest with ourselves, DICE has never been able to create a decent single player experience, particularly one with nuance. You're really expecting them to give players an interesting story about a black character fighting in WW1?

EloKa

I wonder if the game will be related to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codename_Eagle

Codename Eagle is a computer game developed by Stockholm-based studio Refraction Games and was released in November 1999. Refraction Games later merged with Digital Illusions CE (DICE) and developed Battlefield 1942.

The game is set in an alternate timeline, centered around events starting in Petrograd, Russia in 1917. World War I and the 1917 October Revolution never happened. Germany has yet to become involved with any of the other world powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom