• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protests happening in Minneapolis and Baton Rouge right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
The civil rights movement wasn't strictly or even primarily about this type of protesting. Shutting down a highway or burning people's businesses is not the same as refusing to give up a bus seat. Those were different times, and it was very simple acts of civil disobedience that brought about the movement, and it was the unification of all brothers and sisters in the movement for equality that brought about real change.

c6eu9nQ.jpg

LWGTH4o.jpg

OFvgbhW.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i wish minority athletes would protest. i could only imagine what would happen if 60%+ of american sports were shut down.

carmelo is on the right track though.

Jonm1010

Banned
Many of them are obviously out for blood, they chant it in their marches, celebrate in the streets and on twitter when cops are murdered.

I answered your question. BLM incites violence and racial hatred, if that doesn't bother you like it does me then we simply have different standards for our fellow man.

I never claimed that every single individual marching in a BLM protest has called for the death of cops, but there are far too many. Whole processions at times. This isn't a peaceful movement by any stretch, and their grievances are based on unfounded, racist dogma.

They're reacting to the paranoid and false narrative of racist White cops targeting innocent Black folk, when stats don't support that, and individual cases are few and far between.
Man you really don't like minorities huh? Woman, Blacks, Muslims? So quick to reach for anything you can grasp to vilify them or movements fighting for them? No matter how unfounded the accusations or how much you are overstating or abusing context.

I answered your question. BLM incites violence and racial hatred, if that doesn't bother you like it does me then we simply have different standards for our fellow man.

I never claimed that every single individual marching in a BLM protest has called for the death of cops, but there are far too many. Whole processions at times. This isn't a peaceful movement by any stretch, and their grievances are based on unfounded, racist dogma.

How many is too many? Because you seem to think even just a few is enough to crucify the whole movement. I asked you what you actually think about police killing unarmed men, women and children and getting away with that because I have high standards for what protecting and serving means when someone is payed for that. Your rhetoric also sounds suspiciously like Trump's, "I saw Muslims partying in the streets after 9/11". If you want to provide sources for these processions and are convinced that saying something fucked up is license for police to respond with violence I'd quite hearing it.

woolley

They're reacting to the paranoid and false narrative of racist White cops targeting innocent Black folk, when stats don't support that, and individual cases are few and far between.

What the fuck are you talking about. Multiple studies have shown that blacks are much more likely to be targeted by cops than whites. Including a study done by the DOJ.

Are you really that stupid?

I've never seen so much care for traffic blocking in my fucking life until the roads were filled with black people seeking equality. I've got no doubt some of the posts there are word for word identical to sentiments from the civil rights era.

People still have places to be

Life goes on, I can't put mine on hold because of tragedies

Peaceful protests should mean not affecting bystanders

What is far too many? Because hundreds of marches and activities organized occur by BLM and the vast bulk of them are peaceful and the overwhelming majority of those people have never ever preached violence. So where are you getting your numbers from? Scouring youtube and twitter for confirmation bias?

This is the attitude that makes these people realize you don't give a shit about them. So in turn, why should they give a shit about you?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What the fuck are you talking about. Multiple studies have shown that blacks are much more likely to be targeted by cops than whites. Including a study done by the DOJ.

Are you really that stupid?

And who is the Attorney General for the DoJ? A black.

Nice try.

Then find away around it or get over it because people are out their for the sake of their lives and the lives of their children and families. Protests affecting bystanders is nothing new particularly as related to civil rights.

i wish minority athletes would protest. i could only imagine what would happen if 60%+ of american sports were shut down.

carmelo is on the right track though.

And talent. I know Beyonce and Lamar are on the right track and they are making headlines. So is Jesse Williams. But for every one of them. There is a Raven, Wnedy Williams, or Stafy Dash...

NastyBook

Blacks are no more likely to die at the hands of police than Whites when you control for criminality. You're seeing racism where there is none.

All of those people were killed in racist blood lust like the cops, were they?

There is no injustice being enacted against Blacks in America by police, on average, when you control for things like criminality. You're pushing a faulty narrative that only incites violence.

Feel free to walk away.

Thanks.

Plenty in the BLM want cops dead, they shout it in their marches. Police brutality is a real issue at times, but it needs to be addressed in an honest way. Not hijacked by Black supremacists and run of the mill losers who want a selfie for facebook.
This is pretty bad as far as tryhard shitposts go.

Plumbob

Sorry an ethnicity's struggle is such an inconvenience to your daily commute.

Again, do two wrongs make a right?

Is this protest effective?

You answered neither question.

Roads are used for more than commutes by the way. Ambulances and firetrucks don't fly.

woolley

Roads are used for more than commutes by the way. Ambulances and firetrucks don't fly.

Can you show an example where a protest hasn't allowed an ambulance or firetruck through?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
And talent. I know Beyonce and Lamar are on the right track and they are making headlines. So is Jesse Williams. But for every one of them. There is a Raven, Wnedy Williams, or Stafy Dash...

good point. everybody who feels that there has been injustice needs to speak up. especially the ones we look up to.

Ms.Galaxy

About that:

Also, yes, it is effective. As I said before, all the dozens of peaceful protests of people just yelling on the side walk to nearby cars haven't gotten attention nor conversation, these protests on the other hand have caused discussion nationwide.

Jonm1010

Banned

I will say I have heard more (white)people talk about poor policing and black injustice from police in one weekend out and about and through friends and family here in Baton Rouge then I have in probably an entire year. I visited a restaurant the other night I used to work at and even the owner, a really conservative fellow, was sharing his stories of police mistreatment to a bar audience of about 8-10 of us patrons. Capping it off with saying he can only imagine how it would of went if he was black. Again, this is a climate-change denying, Ted Cruz supporting conservative.

...Now on the flip side there has been some not surprisingly sick Facebook stuff and speculation going around. But that is from the racists that aren't really ever changing and are just making themselves look like idiots proclaiming the stuff they have been.

Daft Punk

Banned
BLM has called for the death of cops on numerous occasions, in their marches. One of the founding members was inspired by a well known cop killer. Protesters were throwing rocks and rebar at cops just last night in St. Paul. They incite this violence.

I should be surprised, but at this point I'm not.

Breads

Banned

Some things are more important than your daily routine.

A slight inconvenience to one of your days could change the world.

Which is why ambulances and firetrucks are clear to move through the crowd when they show up and often have alt routes for the sake of concerts, parades, sporting events and just plain daytime traffic from other obstructions. The movement isn't dead. It has sympathizers in the US and outside of it. The spread of BLM has resulted in more documentation by people in the public of instances of police brutality. No one has forgotten the name BLM nor will they forget it and city legislators, politicians, and law enforcement won't and can't ignore them. Also in no way is a day of blocked traffic even a slightly comparable "wrong" to the pure injustice that BLM is fighting against.

Plumbob

Can you show an example where a protest hasn't allowed an ambulance or firetruck through?

Boston Globe said:
Protesters affiliated with the activist group Black Lives Matter carried out their most audacious and disruptive demonstration yet in the Boston area Thursday, blocking the largest highway into the city, snarling rush-hour traffic, and stopping an ambulance in its tracks.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...northbound/G3aLvpDWRixI2I6SVyaErM/story.html#

Warxard

Banned

Why should I care about your problems

Is whatever you're doing really that important to everyone else who's blocking your way?

What would you do to make people care I wonder? Maybe you would...protest

Slayven

Funny how you equalized being late somewhere to systematic racism and abuse.

Johnny, your lack of subtlety tells me that you don't even care about the facts (especially since you'll say shit like "the stats say otherwise" then fail to provide any source), you just want and excuse to hate the movement and wish it away.

Well get the fuck over your annoyance with BLM, because now we have seen even moderate republicans call it a peaceful movement, meaning the only people who think it's a hate group are crazy conservative dipshits like yourself.

Guess what, Johnny, most of your group of dipshits is old baby boomers who will be dead in 10-20 years while the younger generations, while still heavily flawed, has a much higher prevalence of people that are willing acknowledge the racial issues with police. Or to put it more bluntly: Your dipshit bigotry is literally dying off.

So you have a choice in the years ahead:

- learn to be more accepting of other groups and willing to actually acknowledge racial issues

- keep getting angry at other groups for having the audacity to demand they stop being unjustly killed

In the end it's your choice to make, but for your own sake I suggest you get with the fucking times, especially because the kind of anger associated with anti-BLM sentiment is most likely bad for your health (since we all know how stress is bad for health).

Ms.Galaxy

The Easton Crash, which in the end, reached a hospital.

‏@MassStatePolice Ambulance had to be diverted to a smaller hospital in SE Mass rather than level 1 Boston trauma hospital. Victim had been in Easton crash.

Also, there were other options to get the person to MGH:

BMF (Boston MedFlight) transports emergency patients regardless of their ability to pay and is financially supported in part by a six hospital consortium of the following:

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Boston Medical Center
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Children's Hospital Boston
Massachusetts General Hospital
Tufts Medical Center

Blacks are no more likely to die at the hands of police than Whites when you control for criminality. You're seeing racism where there is none.

All of those people were killed in racist blood lust like the cops, were they?

There is no injustice being enacted against Blacks in America by police, on average, when you control for things like criminality. You're pushing a faulty narrative that only incites violence.

Feel free to walk away.

Thanks.

Plenty in the BLM want cops dead, they shout it in their marches. Police brutality is a real issue at times, but it needs to be addressed in an honest way. Not hijacked by Black supremacists and run of the mill losers who want a selfie for facebook.

Holy shit not even subtle with your racism

BLM has called for the death of cops on numerous occasions, in their marches. One of the founding members was inspired by a well known cop killer. Protesters were throwing rocks and rebar at cops just last night in St. Paul. They incite this violence.

I remember when my mother-in-law told me how glad she'd been when MLK was assassinated. He was causing all that violence down South. Then she said she missed her days in the John Birch Society.

Jonm1010

Banned
Some things are more important than your daily routine.

A slight inconvenience to one of your days could change the world.

Honestly the concern trolling is pretty silly. If the poster knew where these protests were taking place in Baton Rouge and the general layout of the area, he would (hopefully)feel really stupid.

If you can't find your way around them without minimal loss to your commute time you would have to be one of the worst road pilots on the planet.

Plumbob

The Easton Crash, which in the end, reached a hospital.

‏@MassStatePolice Ambulance had to be diverted to a smaller hospital in SE Mass rather than level 1 Boston trauma hospital. Victim had been in Easton crash.

You're dismissing the fact the protestors deliberately blocked an emergency vehicle.

Nature of emergencies is that they are emergent. You can't predict who will make it to what hospital and who will die in traffic.

You're dismissing the fact the protestors deliberately blocked an emergency vehicle.

Nature of emergencies is that they are emergent. You can't predict who will make it to what hospital and who will die in traffic.
Explaining emergencies to people as a reason why they shouldn't protest is rich.

Slayven

like the emergency state of police brutality ?

Explaining emergencies to people as a reason why they shouldn't protest is rich.

people ain't doing this shit cause they are bored.

Ms.Galaxy

And I've addressed this before. If it's not protesters, it's a car pile up or nature taking its toll. There's always back up plans for these situations, and if it's dire, there's medical helicopters to transport people to Boston.

Sometimes, yes, but I haven't seen many, or any, cases of someone dying because of protest, again, I hear mostly hypotheticals, not actual things that happen. There's always a backup plan for emergencies like this, there's so many things that could go wrong on the way that it's not smart not to have one. Like I said, if it wasn't protesters, it's a car pile up or nature taking its toll. In dire cases of emergency, there's always these things that can come in handy:

Oddly enough, I have a story like this. My old landlord needed to go from New Bedford to Boston because his liver was failing, they drove an ambulance there, but traffic issues popped up half way there and they had to use one of those medical helicopters to get him to Boston. He didn't make it because of complications in the operating room later on, but he made it in time to live up to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom