• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Xbox One S 500GB/1TB launch increase sales by 989%, PS4 Slim launch increase 22%

The war has been lost, but Microsoft can still remain competitive in the UK and could eke out a narrow win in the end.

Any "win" would be illusory.

Last-gen PS3 pulled about even with the 360 in total install base, but those numbers didn't tell the whole story. Sony took massive losses (especially early) to narrow the sales gap, and the 360's decided advantage in blockbuster exclusives and multiplatfirm sales made it the clear winner that generation.

Similar situation here. MS is cutting hardware prices like crazy to try to narrow the gap with the PS4. And MS' traditional exclusive franchises are fading while it struggles to establish new IP. I'm guessing that you could add up all of the MS exclusives to date and they wouldn't have sold more than UC4+Bloodborne. (That's probably wrong, because the Forza series probably outsold Bloodborne, and Halo 5+MCC probably get somewhere close to UC4 on their own. But still, Sony's advantage in exclusive sales is undeniable.) Additionally, most multiplats are selling better on PS4. So any HW sales comparison hides the true economics of this gen, which are clearly in Sony's favor.

What's important for Microsoft is that they have a sufficiently large install base out there that they can continue to swing for the fences on their first party IP. Like, if they only had 20m co soles sold it would be difficult to spend big money on their games because the upside is so limited. Sure, Halo 6 could still sell 5m copies and return a good profit on a $100m investment. But maybe not enough to justify the potential losses if it tanks. I think this is why you're seeing them make this PC push. It puts them in a position to take big gambles because the potential upside if they hit it out of the park with a new game is vastly larger than if they're limited to the XB1 install base.

Jockel

Well it's a cheap UHD Bluray player that happens to play games as a nice bonus.
at least to me as I'm really not interested in Halo, Forza and the likes

Ryng_tolu

Banned
All that stuff could seem impressive, but then you read XBO was up YOY that week by only 70%... That's only that both PS4 and XBO are doing kinda bad recently

Any "win" would be illusory.

Last-gen PS3 pulled about even with the 360 in total install base, but those numbers didn't tell the whole story. Sony took massive losses (especially early) to narrow the sales gap, and the 360's decided advantage in blockbuster exclusives and multiplatfirm sales made it the clear winner that generation.

Similar situation here. MS is cutting hardware prices like crazy to try to narrow the gap with the PS4. And MS' traditional exclusive franchises are fading while it struggles to establish new IP. I'm guessing that you could add up all of the MS exclusives to date and they wouldn't have sold more than UC4+Bloodborne. (That's probably wrong, because the Forza series probably outsold Bloodborne, and Halo 5+MCC probably get somewhere close to UC4 on their own. But still, Sony's advantage in exclusive sales is undeniable.) Additionally, most multiplats are selling better on PS4. So any HW sales comparison hides the true economics of this gen, which are clearly in Sony's favor.

What's important for Microsoft is that they have a sufficiently large install base out there that they can continue to swing for the fences on their first party IP. Like, if they only had 20m co soles sold it would be difficult to spend big money on their games because the upside is so limited. Sure, Halo 6 could still sell 5m copies and return a good profit on a $100m investment. But maybe not enough to justify the potential losses if it tanks. I think this is why you're seeing them make this PC push. It puts them in a position to take big gambles because the potential upside if they hit it out of the park with a new game is vastly larger than if they're limited to the XB1 install base.

We're in full agreement. Hardware sales only tell part of the story.

The problem with using the UK industry as a barometer is that insane offers can very, very quickly swing things. With the PS4 being £150 today, you'll probably see a similar domination in the favour of the PS4 next week.

I think this is an interesting little period for the PS4. It's had its first negative news cycle, and Microsoft has been very good at hyping the Scorpio, which -- until they prove otherwise -- is a phantom product right now.

I feel like, with PS4 Pro and PSVR around the corner, they should be making a little more noise than they are at the moment. But I expect them to start eating up all of the column inches again once PSVR drops, and they build-up to the release of the Pro.

This should be a wake-up call for them, though. They need to put their foot back on the gas a little bit.

All that stuff could seem impressive, but then you read XBO was up YOY that week by only 70%... That's only that both PS4 and XBO are doing kinda bad recently

Isn't the 70% number regarding market share increase not units sold? As in they increased their marketshare by that percentage?

Izuna

Banned
The problem with using the UK industry as a barometer is that insane offers can very, very quickly swing things. With the PS4 being £150 today, you'll probably see a similar domination in the favour of the PS4 next week.

At least from a casual's perspective, the whole cross-play rumour caused a couple of people to switch too. It's false, but it's no more false than the whole "Xbox One can't do 1080p" stuff that I heard.

I think the stigma is gone so things are just balancing out a little more like they did last gen.

--

edit:
Xbox One S, while probably not THAT much better than an OG Xbone for the vast majority of people, just appears to be so much more definitive. Little performance boost here and there, while negligible, makes it sound nice. 4K Bluray, even without a 4K TV sounds dope, and add all of that with the crazy good £299 + 4 Games bundles (including FIFA 17) ~ I don't see why anyone would want a PS4 Slim instead.

And if they liked Sony games, they'd just wait for the PS4 Pro, no?

Castef

Banned
Sooo... having an advanced movie player is important for sales now while it was not so important during last gen, right?

Sooo... having an advanced movie player is important for sales now while it was not so important during last gen, right?
Where are you even going with this? Things change.

Although if we're cock on the block, having an advanced player probably matters less now with Netflix et al.

Vetro

Plus the fact that more and more people are streaming over netflix, etc.
Even i stopped to buy blu-rays cause i can watch everything via stream.

YES, i know. 4K streaming isn't as good as UHD Blu-Ray. But, don't forget not everybody with a console buys him/herself a 2000+ bucks TV, so a huge majority will enjoy the 4K content from netflix, amazon and so on.

No hate for MS, but the built-in-player won't be the technology making the difference in sales like DVD or BR did in the last two gens.
Yet, i am very curious about Scorpio.

ethomaz

Banned
989% and it only reaches 71% market share???

Numbers from my ass...

XBO Previous Week ~2k
XBO 989% Week ~20k
Others in 989% Week ~8k

Looks like the sales prior the 989% was bad for all.

The 76% yoy increase after 989% boost just confirm these bad numbers.

Draper

Good for Microsoft, beautiful looking console.

Sony really shit the bed with the design of the Slim and Pro models.

At least from a casual's perspective, the whole cross-play rumour caused a couple of people to switch too. It's false, but it's no more false than the whole "Xbox One can't do 1080p" stuff that I heard.

I think the stigma is gone so things are just balancing out a little more like they did last gen.

What cross-play rumour?

Elandyll

Banned
I'm sure there were some killer deals around the XB1S, and the imminent release of then Forza 3 and soon Gears 4 (FIFA deal in full effect at launch too) helped, but I have to wonder how the lack of big releases tied to PS4 will hurt the PS4 this year in the fall and the Holidays in contrast.

Last year, even with close to 0 big exclusives in the fall, PS4 still had a ton of buzz due to the new COD deal, Destiny Taken King was seen as a major expansion (I don't see much buzz about Rise of Iron, at least not tied to PS4), and the Battlefront/ Infinity deal had everybody talking about the PS4 and the special bundles.

This year, it seems to me it's very muted...

Did Sony bet too much on PSVR (sold out) and the Pro ?

Purest 78

Everyone I know Who has a S already owned a X1. They just traded in the old model for the new model. Wish we had the breakdown on how many new X1 owners.

Welfare

989% and it only reaches 71% market share???

Numbers from my ass...

XBO Previous Week ~2k
XBO 989% Week ~20k
Others in 989% Week ~8k

Looks like the sales prior the 989% was bad for all.

The 76% yoy increase after 989% boost just confirm these bad numbers.

UK retail has been slow for awhile since it was the summer. However I think XB1 would be closer to 3k 2 weeks ago and +30k last week going by where the PS4 might be at, unless everything is terribly low.

Daffy Duck

Probably all down to the fact last week Tesco (and then Amazon) had the Fifa 17 XBOs version at £199 for the week and then the weekend.

Guymelef

I'm sure there were some killer deals around the XB1S, and the imminent release of then Forza 3 and soon Gears 4 (FIFA deal in full effect at launch too) helped, but I have to wonder how the lack of big releases tied to PS4 will hurt the PS4 this year in the fall and the Holidays in contrast.

Last year, even with close to 0 big exclusives in the fall, PS4 still had a ton of buzz due to the new COD deal, Destiny Taken King was seen as a major expansion (I don't see much buzz about Rise of Iron, at least not tied to PS4), and the Battlefront/ Infinity deal had everybody talking about the PS4 and the special bundles.

This year, it seems to me it's very muted...

Did Sony bet too much on PSVR (sold out) and the Pro ?

UK has three different COD bundles, 2 different FF XV bundles and a Watch Dogs 2 bundle, don't worry they are going to be ok.

NHale

Good Job Microsoft. I expect a major increase for Sony with the Pro. Then a huge increase for MS with the Scorpio.

You don't need to wait that long considering Sony is having a firesale of the PS4 Basic with FIFA 17 which actually caused FIFA 17 PS4 to sell out in some shops in the UK. The biggest 2nd launch in the UK every year is actually sold out in some shops before the weekend. Oh boy.

It is more like...

20k XBO
8k PS4 (if you don't count others consoles)

Remember it was only up 76% yoy.

I was just using a illustrative example but yeah

The Xbox One had a 71 per cent share of the hardware market for the week ending September 24th

The bolded is the key point. The Xbox has had 71% of sales for one week.

Which, when you realise that whole week they were selling their new console at £50 off RRP with a pack in of FIFA, makes the whole thing more understandable.

Elandyll

Banned
UK has three different COD bundles, 2 different FF XV bundles and a Watch Dogs 2 bundle, don't worry they are going to be ok.
Oh I don't "worry", they're fine.

I'm just somewhat puzzled by their marketing (and tech for no 4K drive in the Pro) decisions this year...

Oersted

Plus the fact that more and more people are streaming over netflix, etc.
Even i stopped to buy blu-rays cause i can watch everything via stream.

YES, i know. 4K streaming isn't as good as UHD Blu-Ray. But, don't forget not everybody with a console buys him/herself a 2000+ bucks TV, so a huge majority will enjoy the 4K content from netflix, amazon and so on.

No hate for MS, but the built-in-player won't be the technology making the difference in sales like DVD or BR did in the last two gens.
Yet, i am very curious about Scorpio.

2000+ Tv? You didn't really pay attention

Well it's a cheap UHD Bluray player that happens to play games as a nice bonus.
at least to me as I'm really not interested in Halo, Forza and the likes
How many UHD Blu-Rays do you have? Honestly curious.

I honestly haven't seen anyone I know that owns a single UHD Blu-Ray, and I have quite a few friends and family members with 4K setups and several with Xbox One S's. I don't even really see many retailers selling them at retail. Is it just a format that hasn't been widely adopted?

Vetro

2000+ Tv? You didn't really pay attention

Yes thats the only thing i said. Hang up on that ;)
But i will make this point clear: A minor group of "purists" who spends THAT much on a TV will also buy UHD BRs so for them a integrated UHD Player is a good point to buy a console which provides that.

ethomaz

Banned
They are talking about Week 38, no???

Last year PR.

Destiny Crowned King

21/Sep/2015

Launched on Tuesday, ‘Destiny: The Taken King’ is crowned No1 this week.

It gives Activision Blizzard their first All Formats top spot since ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’ in W6 2015. The PS4 version claims a 57% share, Xbox One 34%, Xbox 360 7% and PS3 2%. A major expansion for a game released just over a year ago, launch sales of ‘The Taken King’ represent 16% of the original’s debut. There are also new entries at No2 and No3 with ‘Forza Motorsport 6’ starting its engines at No2 and ‘Pro Evolution Soccer 2016’ kicking off at No3. ‘Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain’ (-54%) gets knocked off No1, dropping to No4, ahead of ‘Mad Max’ (-45%) at No5 and ‘Super Mario Maker’ (-58%) at No6. ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ (+3%) is a non-mover at No7, while ‘Disney Infinity 3.0’ (-18%) is forced down 4 places to No8.

There are 2 more new titles that make the Top 40 this week, ‘Rugby League Live 3’ from Alternative Software scrums down at No9 in time for the start of the Rugby World Cup, while EA’s ‘NHL 16’ starts life at No15. Xbox One retailer hardware bundling gives a boost to ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’ (+124%), up from No24 to No14 and ‘Titanfall’ (+265%), a re-entry at No25.

LordRaptor

UK has always been Xbox country, odd one out in Europe.
Anyone(Uker) knows why?

the-51st-state-4fffeab9cebcb.png

Top Bottom