• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Xbox One S 500GB/1TB launch increase sales by 989%, PS4 Slim launch increase 22%

This is a ridiculous sentence.

Why is it? Based on the momentum the PS4 had out the gate, The Xbox one should not of had a chance.

Like it or not, Microsoft has worked hard to stay in the race, and Sony have rested on their laurels in comparison (although to be fair, they still have been more aggressive than SCEA)

Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few months, Xbox One S is looking strong for Christmas but Sony has a lot of choice this holiday season for people who want a console, or upgrade to a more powerful console or even VR.

PS4 Slim
PS4 Pro
PSVR
PS4 Slim + PSVR
PS4 Pro + PSVR

With all that hardware, I see Sony taking the top spot again for the holidays but Xbox looks to do well too.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Unlike the one S, there is no clear visual improvement in looks in the slim and the PS4 OG is "Good enough" for most people's needs. This weeks firesale is obviously a responce to that, but the problem remains that going into the holiday season, there is no real reason to buy a PS4 if you haven't already.
I know this is GAF and all where people say the prices are so great they are buying their third console, that's not really the general audience.

Sony didn't sell 40 million PS4s to 15 million people.

What you have identified as a problem doesn't historically seem to be a problem at all.

In Denmark, at least, the PS4 Pro is almost 200 USD more expensive than the XB1S. I'm not sure I'd consider that "priced similarly". On Amazon.uk the XB1S is currently 100£ cheaper than the PS4 Pro. Also not priced similarly. It's also 100 USD cheaper on Amazon.com. Also a large difference.

In short, your conclusion about sales "falling off the map" doesn't hold, and you know it. At least not due to "being priced similarly".

Also, as we've seen time and time again, something selling out != large sales. Why do you think the Pro will sell out? And if it does, do you suspect it's because of low stock or a huge interest?

You misread my comment. Specifically this part:

" Meanwhile sales of higher end XB1 Ss will fall off the map due to being priced similarly to the much better value, the PS4 Pro."​

I am talking about the high end 2TB, and to a lesser extent 1TB, Xbox One Ss going against the PS4 Pro. That 2TB XB1 S doesn't stand a chance. Once the cost of the Xbox console gets at or above $349, it simply can't compete with the PS4 Pro. Microsoft does not have a competitive product at this price range.

As for selling out, I am saying that availability will definitely be the constraining factor PS VR sales, and I give a good chance that it will be for the PS4 Pro too. We also have ample evidence that Sony doesn't create artificial shortages with their products. For example, at launch they provided more PS4s than was initially anticipated. They have also delayed the PS VR launch due to demand outpacing their initial estimates.

"Sony Computer Entertainment executive vice president Masayasu Ito told Nikkei that, in wake of the boosted sales projections, Sony found itself unable to make enough headsets to meet the projected demand and stay in line with the initial release window. Therefore, Sony pushed the date back to October, according to a translation of the report from GI.biz."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-sony-delayed-playstation-vr-until-this-fall/1100-6436089/

So if/when there are shortages of PlayStation products this holiday, it will be because of high demand, not low supply.

Will PSVR even have the stock this holiday for the casual market to even try and purchase it? It costing $349 + the requirement of a PS4 is already a hindrance, but it sounds like PSVR stock will be low anyway.

Don't believe the hype.

A week before launch, suddenly Sony will find a shipment of PSVRs to sell.

They may not have millions to sell, but anyone who wants one will be able to get one long after launch.

DMTripper

I know this is purely anecdotal but I actually don't know a single person who has a x box. I'm in the UK.

The things are crazy cheap as well.

Why is it? Based on the momentum the PS4 had out the gate, The Xbox one should not of had a chance.

Like it or not, Microsoft has worked hard to stay in the race, and Sony have rested on their laurels in comparison (although to be fair, they still have been more aggressive than SCEA)

Rested on their laurels by releasing three (or two, if you want to be pedantic) new pieces of hardware this Christmas while the competition asks people to wait until next year to see what they've got? You don't get more aggressive than being first out of the gate with virtual reality and iterative hardware.

Also, I'm pretty sure the gap has grown over time, where you make it sound like it's almost closed. I'm sure people with access to the numbers will confirm that, though I don't think we have access to Microsoft's data because for some reason (wonder what that could be?) they haven't shared any for eons.

I dunno. I really don't see this idea that Sony's been sitting on their hands, but each to their own.

Kacho

I'm happy to see the Xbox One S being so well received. It's still not perfect, but offering 4K upscaling, HDR and a built-in power supply was enough for me to go out and buy one. I've been pleased with mine. Now bring on Scorpio.

Sjefen

Percentages is a marketing tool, they really dont say much. What were the sales numbers the week before xbs released? 1000, 3000, 10000....? a 1000% is good but compared to what?

The S is a really nice upgrade over a regular Xbox One. Playstation 4 Slim, not so much. Good to see the better product do better.

(Of course, hard numbers would be more interesting, but since this is the UK surely this means that the S is selling much better than 4 Slim?)

People are waiting for PS PRO, PS slim born dead.

The PlayStation Slim will outsell the Pro for quite some time. As expected the Pro will see an initial surge in sales at release as the enthusiast upgrade en mass to get the more powerful console. After that initial surge, the typical price dynamics will kick in. The mass market priced console will sell more than the enthusiast priced console. It's pretty simple in terms of population:

Mass Market > Enthusiast Market​

Elios83

Congrats to MS for the great week!
It was expected with the FIFA deals and the official launch of the S model in the market. Preorders alone were significant.
We'll see next week with the crazy deals going on with the PS4 what's going to happen.
Percentages by the way don't mean a lot, 989% over a dead week is just sensationalism for the article, still last week the Xbox outsold the PS4 more than 3:1 and that is good for them.

Cyborg

Im waiting for the Pro so why in hell would I buy a Slim? I think a lot of us are waiting for this. Lets see that sales of X1 next year near the Scorpio launch

Chobel

That's fucking huge, though it's only one week so we should we wait for the next weeks numbers to get the full picture.

krang

Im waiting for the Pro so why in hell would I buy a Slim? I think a lot of us are waiting for this. Lets see that sales of X1 next year near the Scorpio launch

I mean, surely those are good sales considering MS has done a lot of talking up of their next console.

The war has been lost, but Microsoft can still remain competitive in the UK and could eke out a narrow win in the end.

What does this even mean? The wars been lost, but they can still eke out a narrow win in the end? Doesn't that mean it's not lost? Also, why does everybody refer to it as a "war." Wars have losers. Both of these corporations are making money hand over fist. Nobody is "losing."

cyen

Or people looking for the cheapest UHD blu ray drive.

Im in for a PS Pro, but these deals are crazy, even in my country i can get a xbox one s plus fifa plus an extra controller below the normal 299€ mrsp.

Im going to get one because:

A - Im searching for an UHD player
B - Plays xbox exclusive games that are not on PS4 (hello Horizon 3)

If PS4 Pro had a UHD drive i probably wouldnt buy a Xbox One S.

Im in for a PS Pro, but these deals are crazy, even in my country i can get a xbox one s plus fifa plus an extra controller below the normal 299€ mrsp.

Im going to get one because:

A - Im searching for an UHD player
B - Plays xbox exclusive games that are not on PS4 (hello Horizon 3)

If PS4 Pro had a UHD drive i probably wouldnt buy a Xbox One S.

Yeah..... I think some people underestimated its value as a selling point. There's always quite a few people who have to be on the bleeding edge of technology. It makes complete sense for all of those people to pick up x1s for the UHD capabilities. I'll be one of them here shortly. Need to sell off my OG X1

Most casual gamers don't care if these games are on PC I think. Spencer is right. Console exclusive is still enough to make people want the platform because they want to play on consoles.

EGM1966

It's not a surprise and I'd be wary of extrapolating some huge shift here because what's not taken into account here is the slim is releasing essentially right next to the Pro from a purchasing point of view.

The Xbox S will be getting a very big spike as there's plenty of reasons to upgrade (confirmed performance improvements, better design, etc) plus its launched with FIFA bundle to spike it further. Scopio is too far away and too unknown to general market to cannabilzie it too much.

PS4 Slim is showing more traditional revision spike. It doesn't offer much more overall and unlike the Xbox Slim hardcore in UK won't be upgrading to it: they'll be upgrading to the Pro which for sure will be cannibalizing that market for Slim. Thus general marketing and some decent deals have driven a small spike but nothing amazing.

I could be wrong but I expect to see a big spike, more in line with this, for Pro as the hardcore UK market upgrade to that.

That said this is a very good result for MS nonetheless and shows the importance of having the right features, price and perception for the market place. They pretty much got that 100% wrong initially with Xbox One and this should indicate as a clear reminder the rewards are there for getting it more right than wrong.

Kacho

Most casual gamers don't care if these games are on PC I think. Spencer is right. Console exclusive is still enough to make people want the platform because they want to play on consoles.

Yeah definitely not. Consoles are still king for the majority of the market. Offering their games on PC is a smart move as it allows them to reach an audience that they wouldn't normally.

The S is a really nice upgrade over a regular Xbox One. Playstation 4 Slim, not so much. Good to see the better product do better.

(Of course, hard numbers would be more interesting, but since this is the UK surely this means that the S is selling much better than 4 Slim?)

I mean the XB1 S is still weaker than a PS4 slim.
Dunno if having 4k blu-ray automatically makes it better.

But yeah hard numbers would be nice.

IvorB

A king usually rules a kingdom.

d10.gif

Hmmm... a technicality I feel but okay then.

Estocolmo

And don't forget the group of people who are waiting to get the Xbox One Scorpio.

I would have bought the Xbox One S but I rather have the premium Xbox One console.

I own the Xbox One since 2014.

The PlayStation Slim will outsell the Pro for quite some time. As expected the Pro will see an initial surge in sales at release as the enthusiast upgrade en mass to get the more powerful console. After that initial surge, the typical price dynamics will kick in. The mass market priced console will sell more than the enthusiast priced console. It's pretty simple in terms of population:

Mass Market > Enthusiast Market​

At current price levels, the PS4 Slim gets creamed by PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro offers a far better value for money ratio. It will outsell the slim easily unless Sony reduces the price of the Slim significantly or offers some decent bundles.

For example, in Germany a huge retailer has a TV ad running, saying that they offer a 1 TB PS4 Slim together with FIFA 17 for "only €349". Two weeks ago, you were able to get two (!) OG PS4s (500GB) for €399, so €199 each. Right now, PS4 Slim ist basically too expensive to be able to increase sales significantly.

Not surprising. X1S is the more intriguing console.

Dyson Industries
Uncommonly Good Detector of Bullshit.

q.e.d.

Jumeira

Banned
OléGunner;218513966 said:
I mean the XB1 S is still weaker than a PS4 slim.
Dunno if having 4k blu-ray automatically makes it better.

But yeah hard numbers would be nice.
It plays multiplatform games that look largely the same and plays 4k Blu ray when you eventually upgrade, overall package seems to be greater for the money you pay.

I bet most of the X1S sales are people who have a PS4 and decided to jump in to an X1 with the new revision.
I can confirm in my circle of friends that not a single one who owns an Xbox One got an S. Most of them think they are a waste of money, "why would I get?" etc. I had an Xbox One, but sold it after I beat Halo 5. Love my PS4. Hate Xbox One UI. But the new S is sexy, and I want to play Gears of War 4 deathmatch with Xbox friends. So I recently nabbed an S. No regrets.

EGM1966

On the other hand, old 500GB PS4 sales will have gone through the fucking roof today in the UK
You're probably not wrong. Going to be interesting to see the to and fro here up to January sales. Xbox Slim seems, percentage wise anyway in lieu of numbers, so have attracted decent uptick. PS4 slim seems slower but as I noted earlier the Pro is too close and too well priced for the PS4 Slim to have any chance of having this kind of spike. It's also so similar to PS4 I can easily see people diving for great deals on original PS4 instead.

Would be nice to get to LTD numbers for UK for all the current consoles (including Wii U).

Norse

Just like in the US they may win a month or two but the end result will be the same.

Does any of this really matter? At this stage just how do any sales numbers effect anyone's personal enjoyment of their console of choice? All the games are on both systems and play the same so who really should give a shit?

Same could be said about which console is more powerful....did it really effect any of the games? Really?

Ushay

Percentages is a marketing tool, they really dont say much. What were the sales numbers the week before xbs released? 1000, 3000, 10000....? a 1000% is good but compared to what?

I totally agree, but still.. It's great news. Take it for what it is.

You misread my comment. Specifically this part:

" Meanwhile sales of higher end XB1 Ss will fall off the map due to being priced similarly to the much better value, the PS4 Pro."​

I am talking about the high end 2TB, and to a lesser extent 1TB, Xbox One Ss going against the PS4 Pro. That 2TB XB1 S doesn't stand a chance. Once the cost of the Xbox console gets at or above $349, it simply can't compete with the PS4 Pro. Microsoft does not have a competitive product at this price range.

2TB version of the Xbox One S will be flying off shelves because all of them will be in the form of limited edition. In fact, you can not find any regular 2tb xbox one s right now in any stores.

And trust me that Microsoft will produce far less 1tb XB1S than 500gb versions of the same console because the external hard drive support almost eliminate the need of 1tb.

What does this even mean? The wars been lost, but they can still eke out a narrow win in the end? Doesn't that mean it's not lost? Also, why does everybody refer to it as a "war." Wars have losers. Both of these corporations are making money hand over fist. Nobody is "losing."

Bloody hell mate, calm down.

I'm saying that despite losing the war overall - as in not selling as many consoles as Sony globally - MS could yet win the battle in the UK.

In addition to that, I've said I don't see that happening.

As for referring to it as a 'war', it's just a bit of fun.

I feel like I need to go back to my first post because some people just aren't getting it. I'm going to go back and tweak it now.

Edit: To be fair, I don't think my sentence was as clear as it could have been.

Top Bottom