• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Xbox One S 500GB/1TB launch increase sales by 989%, PS4 Slim launch increase 22%

ethomaz

Banned
That would be week ending September 19th. The closer comparison would be Week 39 (ending September 26th) since 2015 was a 53 week year for the UK.
What MCV uses? I guess they only check the same Week xx in GFK report and not dates.

Week 39 is FIFA launch.

N7.Angel

The Xbox One S is a real improvement over the Xbox One, it's the cheapest 4K UHD device too and they're selling it at a ridiculous price so it make sense, the PS4 slim is just a PS4 and people are probably waiting for the Pro, people aren't dumb.

Papilloma

Everyone I know Who has a S already owned a X1. They just traded in the old model for the new model. Wish we had the breakdown on how many new X1 owners.

You mean Monthly Active Users (MAU)? If only they gave us those it wod be much better than simple sales numbers. ;)

redcrayon

UK has always been Xbox country, odd one out in Europe.
Anyone(Uker) knows why?
It certainly wasn't when the original Xbox was released, PS2 wiped the floor with it in the UK just like everywhere else. 360 gained a huge lead over the PS3 in the UK for several reasons.

Releasing earlier, being much cheaper, and being the generation where modern, multiplatform AAA games were becoming more important (thanks to major PC developers, Assassins Creed etc and to a far lesser extent later on, Square's FF going multiformat in addition to the rise of CoD) than just a list of exclusives.

Seeing as it then mattered less exactly which platform you chose as they largely had the same games, unlike most previous home consoles, players might as well choose the one their early-adopter friends were locked into with their online accounts.

Just as an aside, even then, the 360 didn't overtake Wii sales in the UK until the middle of 2013, so it's arguable that MS has never really 'led' in the UK at all apart from the briefest of periods. In terms of only considering a 'leader' between MS and Sony though (as I'm sure much of their senior staff viewed it), sure.

I think it's possible to see MS lead the sales for Q4 like this.
  • Xbox One S to be the most selling system in both UK and US.
  • Then PS4 Slim
  • Then Xbox One
  • Then PS4 Pro

For other countries I really don't want to try to guess something... MS was in very bad position on many EU countries. Now UHD may help but to make them being ahead of Sony for Q4... not sure.

Isn't this easily explained by the fact that Sony has three new hardware products releasing this holiday season, Slim, Pro, and PSVR, to Microsoft's only one, the XB1 S? Not only will that spread out the Sony spending more for Sony products, but the two new products that actually offer new capabilities, Pro and PSVR, haven't released yet. Those are the products most likely to see a surge of sales at release, and their current lack of availability likely is depressing the Slim sales as people wait.

The key metric will be total sales across all product lines for the entire holiday season. Sony should win that quite handily. In fact their biggest problem will be supplying enough stock to meet demand. PSVR is guaranteed to sell out, and there is a good chance the Pro will too. Meanwhile sales of higher end XB1 Ss will fall off the map due to being priced similarly to the much better value, the PS4 Pro.

Pif

Banned
2 little 2 late.

Reminds me of the glory days of the gamecube spike sales when it hit the Magical 99$.

This isn't surprising. Primarily, there's more room for growth for Microsoft than Sony which may be more saturated, but even beyond that, the Xbox One S is a more intriguing console than the PS4 Slim, which besides being uglier than the PS4, really offers nothing else.

Meanwhile, the Xbox One Slim is a beautiful console, with a better controller, 4K video playback, HDR (right?), built in power brick, and it's substantially smaller than the original Xbox One. The Slim offers a decent purchase proposition for existing Xbox One owners, but a strong purchase proposition for non-Xbox One owners, while the PS4 slim offers virtually no purchase proposition for existing PS4 owners and only middling purchase proposition for non-PS4 owners.

Pif

Banned
We had special actions here where it was 60 € - GC + MKDD + 2nd Controller. Good times.
Black Friday we are gonna see some 150$ 1TB X1S deals. Mark my words.

Microsoft only has price wars advantage against Sony's PSVR and Pro stampede. Maybe even Nintendo is gonna cut back some marketshare because of NX announcement hype.

Neff

So long as MS stay committed to backwards compatibility and Sony don't, that'll always be a big purchase incentive in XBOX's favour, and to his credit Phil seems to be aware of that. Here's hoping they stick with it.

Vetro

Microsoft only has price wars advantage against Sony's PSVR and Pro stampede. Maybe even Nintendo is gonna cut back some marketshare because of NX announcement hype.

When it will hit 150 € i maybe would reconsider buying one, too.

Are you saying the Wii U will win back marketshare or am I missing something?

huh1678

Banned
989% and it only reaches 71% market share???

Numbers from my ass...

XBO Previous Week ~2k
XBO 989% Week ~20k
Others in 989% Week ~8k

Looks like the sales prior the 989% was bad for all.

The 76% yoy increase after 989% boost just confirm these bad numbers.

I thought good on microsoft at first until your post with actual numbers, now this just reminds me of that wii u high % thread also from the uk. Must ado about nothing and makes all the return of the king, etc comments even more laughable.

TBiddy

The key metric will be total sales across all product lines for the entire holiday season. Sony should win that quite handily. In fact their biggest problem will be supplying enough stock to meet demand. PSVR is guaranteed to sell out, and there is a good chance the Pro will too. Meanwhile sales of higher end XB1 Ss will fall off the map due to being priced similarly to the much better value, the PS4 Pro.

In Denmark, at least, the PS4 Pro is almost 200 USD more expensive than the XB1S. I'm not sure I'd consider that "priced similarly". On Amazon.uk the XB1S is currently 100£ cheaper than the PS4 Pro. Also not priced similarly. It's also 100 USD cheaper on Amazon.com. Also a large difference.

In short, your conclusion about sales "falling off the map" doesn't hold, and you know it. At least not due to "being priced similarly".

Also, as we've seen time and time again, something selling out != large sales. Why do you think the Pro will sell out? And if it does, do you suspect it's because of low stock or a huge interest?

Well deserved. XB1S is sleek as fck and the price is really attractive for impulse buying. However it's just a matter of time for PS4 to come up on top again. Th winner has been decided this gen.

Krakn3Dfx

I upgraded to an XB1S for $250 even tho I hardly ever used my OG XB1. Sold the OG XB1 for $220, for $30 to get a UHD 4K player, seemed like a no brainer. Pre-ordered Gears 4, depending on how the PC port ends up, I may play it on the XB1S at least for awhile.

kiguel182

The Xbox Slim looks like a great console and what the Xbox should've been since the start. This and a Fifa bundle will do wonders.

Detective

lol.

Fifa + XBO S came out a week earlier than PS4. Also, the old Xbox has been out of stock for a while actually.

Stats for people who like em:

Biggest electronics shop in Belgium => Yesterday, we sold 234 copies of PS4 Fifa... And 7 copies for FIFA XBO.

Source: I work in it.

You open your post with lol.
Ironically which what your post are. lol.
Fanboys.

Anyway, congrats to MS

I didn't even notice that. This week, next week's pal chart, at least it should be up by a large margin and I imagine the marketshare will be swinging back the other way.

I think the reason is that FIFA 16 came out a week earlier relative to this year which is skewing the results for both systems.

as long as the Scorpio is not as half ugly as the Pro, Microsoft will win the console war back easily

Do you mean sales in this gen? I'm gonna make a wild guess that there's a zero percent chance of that happening.

I might be the only European who just purchased the OG Xbox One instead of the slim model. Was worried about possible fan noise and the OG model had a huge sale so it made more sense to me. Slim is still way too expensive in Scandinavia and like the majority of the market I couldn't care less about the new media player capabilities.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
PlayStation 4 being 66% year-on-year the week after the slim model was launched is very surprising, specially because I don't remember that week 38, 2015 had any interesting new bundle or heavy discounts.

I would love to have an update on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One LTD hardware data.

PS4 was at 3.2 million by end of May 2016 (as you know)... i wonder if PS4 can sell 4 million this year, honestly i have my doubt. :-/

goonergaz

lol, let's see how things pan out but one had months of build up the other a few weeks.

One is a vast improvement and the other a nice improvement.

One is bundled with FIFA and the other is not.

Spman2099

as long as the Scorpio is not as half ugly as the Pro, Microsoft will win the console war back easily

So, I think the chances of that happening are very, very unlikely. It is definitely possible, but MS would really have to step up their game big time (while Sony would have to drop the ball dramatically).

It being something that could be done "easily" is absolutely an asinine thing to say.

Rellik

Nope. It's never been 'Xbox country.' PS1, PS2, Wii/360, PS4.

That's the list of consoles that have been most popular by generation. Where does this mythical 'Xbox country' fit in?

And the 360 only happened here because the PS3 was delayed until March 2007. I was one of those waiting for it, but when I saw the price and delay, I just bought a 360 instead.

(Still bought a PS3 a few years later)

Unknown?

Not surprising. X1S is the more intriguing console.

No it's not. The X1 shit the bed as far as compelling exclusives this year. It's not just FINALLY getting some worthwhile games at the end of the year. Until Microsoft actually steps up their abysmal "lets just have no games for the first 2/3rds of the year" mentality they don't deserve huge success.

Miles X

And the 360 only happened here because the PS3 was delayed until March 2007. I was one of those waiting for it, but when I saw the price and delay, I just bought a 360 instead.

(Still bought a PS3 a few years later)

That's a big determination, 360 smashed PS3 in the UK for a lot of reasons, not just that. Same as US.

DBT85

That's a big determination, 360 smashed PS3 in the UK for a lot of reasons, not just that. Same as US.

IIRC the 360 landed 2 Christmases before the PS3 did in the UK. That and the price delta once the PS3 was actually available made a huge difference.

Giving it some thought, Sony does have a bit of a problem on its hands here.

While this and last week can be handwaved away as the "FIFA" effect, the fact still remains that they haven't and aren't giving people enough reason to upgrade to the slim and pro.

Unlike the one S, there is no clear visual improvement in looks in the slim and the PS4 OG is "Good enough" for most people's needs. This weeks firesale is obviously a responce to that, but the problem remains that going into the holiday season, there is no real reason to buy a PS4 if you haven't already.

The slim is just not an exciting product. It's meh at best.

Now the pro on the other hand, has a clear tangible difference, but to see the full benefits requires a television purchase that many aren't ready or willing to make yet. 4k is gaining steam, but for this year, for this Hoilday season it's not enough, especially as the most distinct advantage of a 4k device has been omitted.

Let me be clear, I really think the "Microsoft is back" cries from here and across the pond are premature and pretty much fueled by fanboy wishful thinking, but Looking past Hoilday 2016, Sony is going to have a hell of a job keeping up their momentum, especially as it seems for the past 6 months they are running on interia which itself is running on fumes.

The big wild card in all of this is PSVR. If it connects with a causal audience, none of this will matter. But I'm flatly unconvinced that it will do anymore than a decent start out the gate and then a slow decline after.

The thing to take away from all is the fact that Sony so far has squandered what should have been an insurmountable lead in sales, marketshare and influence in the industry and while this generation is still pretty much wrapped up, they have give Microsoft enough of a opening to turn the tables in a few years time.

wapplew

Giving it some thought, Sony does have a bit of a problem on its hands here.

While this and last week can be handwaved away as the "FIFA" effect, the fact still remains that they haven't and aren't giving people enough reason to upgrade to the slim and pro.

Unlike the one S, there is no clear visual improvement in looks in the slim and the PS4 OG is "Good enough" for most people's needs. This weeks firesale is obviously a responce to that, but the problem remains that going into the holiday season, there is no real reason to buy a PS4 if you haven't already.

The slim is just not an exciting product. It's meh at best.

Now the pro on the other hand, has a clear tangible difference, but to see the full benefits requires a television purchase that many aren't ready or willing to make yet. 4k is gaining steam, but for this year, for this Hoilday season it's not enough, especially as the most distinct advantage of a 4k device has been omitted.

Let me be clear, I really think the "Microsoft is back" cries from here and across the pond are premature and pretty much fueled by fanboy wishful thinking, but Looking past Hoilday 2016, Sony is going to have a hell of a job keeping up their momentum, especially as it seems for the past 6 months they are running on interia which itself is running on fumes.

The big wild card in all of this is PSVR. If it connects with a causal audience, none of this will matter. But I'm flatly unconvinced that it will do anymore than a decent start out the gate and then a slow decline after.

The thing to take away from all is the fact that Sony so far has squandered what should have been an insurmountable lead in sales, marketshare and influence in the industry and while this generation is still pretty much wrapped up, they have give Microsoft enough of a opening to turn the tables in a few years time.

Why they need to give people reason to upgrade? I thought new customers is more important.
The bigger problem is why new console owner not buying a PS4. What's the price of Xbox one and PS4 in that week?

Welfare

Will PSVR even have the stock this holiday for the casual market to even try and purchase it? It costing $349 + the requirement of a PS4 is already a hindrance, but it sounds like PSVR stock will be low anyway.

This is a ridiculous sentence.

Top Bottom