• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't handle all these adorable dance forms. They're destroying my heart.

PfE9zfX.jpg

>tfw some half-genie come at you with that fake-ass weave

LewieP

I was able to activate my code on PSN, but I can't actually find it on my download list. Any ideas?

Edit: It just showed up.

TheOGB

Banned
Got my NA PS4 code and played the first few levels. I was wary at first after reading about the lack of dungeons, but I've had a good time so far. The game looks great, the music is excellent as always, and the gameplay is fun. Different structure, but same old half-genie hijinks. I dig it.

arit

So 1/4 heart of health left after the screen transition, now comes the 2min auto scroller, followed by at least two phases of boss. Should have bought the potions since there are no health refills in between (at least there is a checkpoint after the auto scroller).

EDIT: done, nothing learned. Though a glimpse on the menu screen made me realize that one does indeed collect items which replenish health during the auto scroller.

And a few minutes + bathhouse + vase transform = max money.

tim.mbp

Are Steam Achievement working? I can see that there are 42 of them (or something, I closed Steam), but I can't see what they are. When I click on them it just brings me to a different page in my profile that has nothing to do with Shantae achievements.

They are popping for me as I get them, but still hidden like that.

wouwie

I'm not familiar with the Shantae games but i love platform games (and feel there are far too few quality ones released on console these days). I guess this will be my first Shantae game and day one to support the developers. I might buy some of the other ones in the franchise if i like this one. I'm looking forward to it. It looks fun.

I honestly don't see how the structure is THAT different from Pirate's Curse. It had the same "here's a map screen that takes you to different islands/levels and within those levels you follow a fairly linear path that has hidden paths or branches or different ways as you gain more powers" Like, wait'll you get crab or mermaid form, guys.

Even then I think I prefer this way over the first two (or three?) games open worldish aspect. That shit was a hassle.

I never listened to the music of the older games because I don't listen to portable games due to playing them on the go, but the OST for this game is really damn good.

Aeana

Factory music is amazing.

I never listened to the music of the older games because I don't listen to portable games due to playing them on the go, but the OST for this game is really damn good.

You should have listened to the others.

Is there an OT coming or what?

Opa-Pa

I get that this formula isn't too different from Pirate's Curse, but at least in that one the different levels felt like small worlds or semi-intrincate dungeons. Here they're just... Normal (albeit solid) levels.

I think 3 is the better game, but 2 had my favorite world, it was like a Metroidvania lite.

Also I'm so grateful for the new art direction. 3's was shameless and embarrassing, and just felt out of place in a Shantae game.

Dude, the Shantae series has some of the best soundtracks around (Virt da gawd), you should definitely replay them or at least check out their music. 2 and 3 specifically are incredible.

Only my opinion but this game's music so far is kinda underwhelming in comparison, but I'm only like three stages in.

jwk94

I'm so lost. How do I cure that sick bird and how do I get the restaurant chef to go back to her place? I got the salted caramel from but she keeps telling me she'll go back once the fires are put out. Also how do I make the crab jump higher? Is that a power up or am I missing something?

Opa-Pa

I'm so lost. How do I cure that sick bird and how do I get the restaurant chef to go back to her place? I got the salted caramel from but she keeps telling me she'll go back once the fires are put out. Also how do I make the crab jump higher? Is that a power up or am I missing something?
Give the salted caramel to the little girl standing next to Sky back in town.

Maligna

Banned
Love the art style and animations of this, despite certain things being a little bit fan servicey. (Does she have to wiggle her butt when she crouches? I guess I appreciate the extra little bit of animation. Haha.)

Ganado

Wait what? The game is that small? Looking at the kickstarter I thought there were going to be a lot of content.

There are not that many maps and they are pretty straightforward. I'd say it's about the same length as Pirate Curse.

I really recommend it though, beautifully made.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Has anyone played the Wii U version?

I'm eyeing the retail release later this month but not interested if it's inferior to the other versions somehow.

There are not that many maps and they are pretty straightforward. I'd say it's about the same length as Pirate Curse.

I really recommend it though, beautifully made.
Besides, there are going to be multiple characters. We got Risky, Rotty Tops, Bolo, Sky, and one more I believe.

jwk94

Give the salted caramel to the little girl standing next to Sky back in town.
How? It's sitting in my key items but I don't know how to use it. When I talk to her, she just tells me how she wants to learn how to do magic.

Nevermind, I was talking to the wrong girl.

Aeana

I'd love to make one but I think someone else had already claimed it. But no word now.
No one has volunteered in the OT volunteering thread according to the index, so feel free.

Generally if the thread isn't made by release and there's no word, the person would forfeit anyway.

joe2187

Banned
This game is so smooth and good on the Vita, Im amazed Wayforward hasnt released more of their games on the Vita. I'd kill for a Mighty Switch force ports....

No one has volunteered in the OT volunteering thread according to the index, so feel free.

Generally if the thread isn't made by release and there's no word, the person would forfeit anyway.
I was going to do Persona Q but someone already claimed it so I'll just claim

Shantae:1/2 Genie Hero by astrogamer (11/24/13)
So I'm good to go? I don't want to rob astrogamer. But at the same time I thought it would have been made by now.

schlew

Posted in the BST thread, but if anyone is willing to trade their Xbox One digital copy for my Wii U digital copy, shoot me a DM!

I figured I'd continue to have the Shantae games on Nintendo's hardware, but at this point I really don't care.

Was an early bird backer, really excited to give this a go. Pirate's Curse was great, hope I can expect even better from HGH.

epmode

Yeesh, something's up with the PC version. I'm getting 33 FPS on a Titan X (last gen). The demo from forever ago ran far better than this.

I have a 144hz G-Sync monitor if that makes a difference but screwing with its settings isn't helping.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I am utterly baffled as to getting the light shard.
I assume I need to get into that portal in the middle of the Mermaid Falls areas, that's sandwiched between mouse tunnels and the big blocks that can only be destroyed by the elephant? I can't for the life of me find a way to get in there. Can't use the elephant to bust those blocks, can't find a path for the mouse besides the one that starts in the far upper right corner of the area and leads to a couple treasures.

I gave the dude in the desert tower the 5 bodies or whatever, and I've got a lollipop now.

What am I missing?

Psxphile

I am utterly baffled as to getting the light shard.
I assume I need to get into that portal in the middle of the Mermaid Falls areas, that's sandwiched between mouse tunnels and the big blocks that can only be destroyed by the elephant? I can't for the life of me find a way to get in there. Can't use the elephant to bust those blocks, can't find a path for the mouse besides the one that starts in the far upper right corner of the area and leads to a couple treasures.

I gave the dude in the desert tower the 5 bodies or whatever, and I've got a lollipop now.

What am I missing?

The Waterfall Relic. You can find it in the Scuttle Town Main street stage. Explore thoroughly.

This game is so smooth and good on the Vita, Im amazed Wayforward hasnt released more of their games on the Vita. I'd kill for a Mighty Switch force ports....

They've never had much of a history with Sony platforms in general, so it's not too surprising there hasn't been more.

Glad to hear this one turned out well. Can't wait to play it.

Psxphile

Hm. They changed slightly how Warp Dance works in the final from the backer build that was released last week. Before you would skip to each area and ultimately end up at the podium, where it would stop working. Now it just loops back to the first area again. Oh well.

But as said before, there's really no reason to go to the podium when the Whistle exists.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yeesh, something's up with the PC version. I'm getting 33 FPS on a Titan X (last gen). The demo from forever ago ran far better than this.

I have a 144hz G-Sync monitor if that makes a difference but screwing with its settings isn't helping.

Is it the same on the regular and 64-bit DX11 versions for you? I'm getting like 30% GPU usage at 4K with AA on a Titan X Pascal.

For anyone using a Steam controller, I recommend the standard Joypad but with the dpad changed to no click and use "cross gate" to avoid accidentally crouching while moving.

If you want 100%, make sure you trade the snake lady for the useless bonus dances to get them on your dance list. You can trade them back afterwards.

I forgot one and had to replay the ending.

Okay. I'll message the original poster just to double check but for now I'm making the Shantae: Half-Genie Hero OT.

Probably a bad idea since it's my first OT haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom