• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

I have forgotten is the game PS4/Vita cross buy?
I'm ASSUMING no because of the retail release and the fact that the game is nearly out without them ever saying it would be as the case was for Mighty No. 9. Part of why I switched to Steam from PS4. Also the MN09 situation left a somewhat poor taste in my mouth, and it looks like Sony will keep being that way.

Eusis

It's also pretty early for one by normal standards, though I guess the Early Access thing does add a unique wrinkle here.

Boogiepop

Man, I fell out of checking the updates right up until, of course, the one saying "platform selection is now closed". Tried contacting them immediately after that update, but they won't get back to me no matter what. Ugh, don't want to be stuck with a darn Steam code, especially when I'm not even sure my computer would run it properly.

Reaaaaally wish they would've sent out at least one differently titled update when that went live, instead of just "Update #78" or whatever it may have been. I mean, yeah, it's on me for not checking them all, but this sucks and is totally turning into a 1-2 punch of Kickstarter crap, considering the other game I backed was Mighty No 9 (which actually also had the problem of them never responding to my desire to switch out my code of the not-really-functioning WiiU version. Plus they never gave me the soundtrack and artbook I paid for. :/)

Eusis

I didn't receive a code yet, but I also made one of those last minute requests to change platform, so I can see sorting mine out taking longer.

Reaaaaally wish they would've sent out at least one differently titled update when that went live, instead of just "Update #78" or whatever it may have been.

They did, it would have been a Backerkit e-mail ages ago requesting you to add additional information about your pledge. It's kinda not really their problem that you ignored all contact for like a year despite knowing that your input to select a console would be required at some point (and they mentioned the cutoff tons of times recently). Kickstarter update e-mail subject lines are automatic as well, no matter what you pledge on they all have the same generic subject, so they couldn't exactly make it much clearer.

Plum

So I got my code (PS4 EU), went to put it in, and it's apparently invalid. Will they just not work until the 20th or am I fucked?

EDIT: Maybe I should click on the previous page before I say stuff :p

Boogiepop

They did, it would have been a Backerkit e-mail ages ago requesting you to add additional information about your pledge. It's kinda not really their problem that you ignored all contact for like a year despite knowing that your input to select a console would be required at some point (and they mentioned the cutoff tons of times recently). I almost never read the update e-mails and still managed to keep on top of things.
I explicitly searched my email to see if I was wrong and missed this or something, but no. If that existed, I never got it. So that's even more of an issue. Plus it's more bugging me now that they are not responding even after several days through several forms of communication.

And the game's been delayed to the point that it's three years past the Kickstarter with over 90 updates. After year 2 or so, I realized "hey, these are all minor updates showing bits of the game, and at this point I don't really need to see any more" so I went to skimming, and I didn't see that until, like I said, the "whoops, too late!" update.

Eusis

So I got my code (PS4 EU), went to put it in, and it's apparently invalid. Will they just not work until the 20th or am I fucked?
It said wait until the 12th.

And there's a reason "Just assume Sony" before, because they've had a habit of having codes completely locked up until they flip a switch for them to be usable, even if they aren't actually going to get you the game then and there. Nevermind how bad they used to be about timely PS Store updates.

EmiPrime

Man, I fell out of checking the updates right up until, of course, the one saying "platform selection is now closed". Tried contacting them immediately after that update, but they won't get back to me no matter what. Ugh, don't want to be stuck with a darn Steam code, especially when I'm not even sure my computer would run it properly.

Reaaaaally wish they would've sent out at least one differently titled update when that went live, instead of just "Update #78" or whatever it may have been. I mean, yeah, it's on me for not checking them all, but this sucks and is totally turning into a 1-2 punch of Kickstarter crap, considering the other game I backed was Mighty No 9 (which actually also had the problem of them never responding to my desire to switch out my code of the not-really-functioning WiiU version. Plus they never gave me the soundtrack and artbook I paid for. :/)

I lamented this and got piled on so be warned. Yeah we missed the deadline but they missed theirs repeatedly by 2 years and prioritised the development of 15 other games in that timespan (something I don't know why more people haven't taken issue over)! Some flexibility would be nice instead of getting stonewalled.

A single email with "Project Update #88: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero by WayForward" announcing the game is done with a last call for platform changes right at the bottom of the email for 6 days later doesn't really stand out does it (and I never received email #89 and it's not in the Gmail spam folder)? An email from the Wayforward support address with the warning clearly in the subject header would have been appreciated especially given the 2 year delay.

Like you I accept responsibility (so if anyone wants to slag me off please keep it to yourself this time) but over 3 years is a really long time to keep track of a game that got delayed more than Mighty No.9.

Eusis

I lamented this and got piled on so be warned. Yeah we missed the deadline but they missed theirs repeatedly by 2 years and prioritised the development of 15 other games in that timespan (something I don't know why more people haven't taken issue over)! Some flexibility would be nice instead of getting stonewalled.
Let me guess: licensed games? Those are the ones that are their bread and butter and keep them afloat. And presumably most of the other games that would've come out otherwise were lower end fare (those two Mighty Switch Force games are on Steam, and mobile too for one of them.) This is the passion project they work on for the longer term, so I don't really begrudge them putting out other games as long as this actually comes out, and the time frame honestly isn't out of the norm.

EmiPrime

Let me guess: licensed games? Those are the ones that are their bread and butter and keep them afloat. And presumably most of the other games that would've come out otherwise were lower end fare (those two Mighty Switch Force games are on Steam, and mobile too for one of them.) This is the passion project they work on for the longer term, so I don't really begrudge them putting out other games as long as this actually comes out, and the time frame honestly isn't out of the norm.

I don't begrudge them either up to a point, I think everyone knew they would work on other stuff concurrently but they took money up front for this and projected a 15 month turnaround with prior knowledge of their workload and contracts. I think they took some serious liberties with this Kickstarter, worse than Mighty No.9. After a certain point it should have been their top priority to at the very least meet the end of 2015 release date instead they kept on taking on more work and even found the resources to put out another Shantae game while HGH languished (I know Pirate's Curse started development first but that's not relevant, they promised the Nov 2014 release date knowing that).

So for me it's a bit rich of them to be sticklers over a 6 day last call when they spent over 3 years on this.

tumblr_ohq3f9kTcj1sstw9jo1_540.png

tumblr_ohq3f9kTcj1sstw9jo2_540.png

Guys, again you had three years. Yeah it sucks that some people weren't able to keep the 360 and PS3 versions but they warned us before for the other consoles. The 6 day cutoff time happened.

Either way I'm still on track for my games to ship tomorrow for some reason so this will be interesting if it actually ships since the game is supposed to come out on the 20th.

Cheerilee

Why is there no mention of the Wii U there? What's going on with those codes?

Steam keys not out yet?

They said on Monday that they'd start handing out the codes "next week" (aka, the week that starts with Monday the 12th). They also said that Wii U was "awaiting final confirmation".

They said today (Thursday) that they've got Steam, Xbox, and Sony keys in hand, and they're gonna start handing them out ASAP. Sony keys are unfortunately time-locked so they won't work before Monday the 12th, but Wayforward is going to be handing them out anyways.

If Wayforward works over the weekend, PC and Xbox users will get to play the game a little bit early. Sony users won't be able to benefit from Wayforward getting their work done a couple of days early.

Reporters are going to get review copies after backers have been served (most likely including Wii U). Wayforward thinks that reporters will get theirs between Dec 14 and Dec 20. Does that mean that maybe Wayforward expects to have their Wii U keys ready closer to the 12th or 13th?

The game will go up for purchase for non-backers and non-reporters on Dec 20.

Man seeing early access backers and backers getting to play this early (seriously early for early access backers) makes me wish I could rewind time and support the game. I can't even remember why I never backed this as it was so long ago - money troubles probably - but now I'm wishing I had made the effort.

As a non-backer peasant I guess December 20 it is. Looking forward to GAF's impressions from early copies in the meantime however.

cwistofu

Got my Steam code. Says Beta version. Is this a labeling error or should I keep an eye out for another code of the full complete version in the near future?

Wok

Got my Steam code. Says Beta version. Is this a labeling error or should I keep an eye out for another code of the full complete version in the near future?

I think it is normal so that you can have the game earlier, but it should still be the full complete version as for people who purchase the game after the release in 11 days.

Is there any downside to getting the wiiU version of this? Gameplay and graphics the same?
There shouldn't be an difference. Same graphics and gameplay since it isn't a taxing game. There were going to be things that took advantage of the gamepad like using it to control Shantae's dancing but I don't think it went through.

bomblord1

Banned
The downside to getting the Wii U version is that you get your code last. :

I'm going to be buying it I'm not a backer so that's not an issue.

There shouldn't be an difference. Same graphics and gameplay since it isn't a taxing game. There were going to be things that took advantage of the gamepad like using it to control Shantae's dancing but I don't think it went through.

Thanks I was worried it wouldn't be full 1080p like the other two

Ganado

It says for Beta testing. All that means is that your sub overrides the release date and you can play it now. FYI.

B00TE

Man seeing early access backers and backers getting to play this early (seriously early for early access backers) makes me wish I could rewind time and support the game. I can't even remember why I never backed this as it was so long ago - money troubles probably - but now I'm wishing I had made the effort.

As a non-backer peasant I guess December 20 it is. Looking forward to GAF's impressions from early copies in the meantime however.
In the same boat, looking forward to the 20th though. Retail box and everything looks nice!

I asked to change for a PS4 code before the cutoff date but it seems they sent me a Steam code... Did it happen to someone else?

I contacted them, we'll see what happens. I'm quite excited to play this one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom