• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

As someone who never watched any sort of Voltron show until this one, I really like how rare and powerful the Robeasts are, and how much difficulty the team has in defeating each one.

They remind me a lot of the Angels on Evangelion, where each battle was a major event. I suspect this may have been deliberate, given how visually evocative they are to the Angels, in particular that one with the flappy arms that shoots lasers - he looked like he just stepped out of Eva 5.0 : And I'll (Not) Form the Head

WarRock

Being fair tho, doesn't only Shiro have formal militar training? None of the other paladins are warriors.
All of them are in military school and Keith is supposedly a prodigy.

One of my issues with OG Voltron was how all Voltron had to do was combine and form Blazing Sword and it was usually GG. I feel like they went the total opposite direction in this series so I can totally see where you feel that Voltron isn't as OP as he should be.
Ah, no doubt, it's a common issue for the mech genre. But they dialed back too much, specially after every character in the universe (literally) hyping it up. I would be more okay with it if forming Voltron was a hard task for the pilots and therefore its apparitions were rare. They it is right now just feels like the are gimping themselves using it and even then everybody wants/fears Voltron.

Yeah, this did bother me too. At one point Allura said they were "several galaxies over", and then in the same episode (I think?) Zarkon said he was checking the whole galaxy for them. A tiny point, but it did annoy me too.

I had to listen to that part twice and I think Coran is just saying one of his Altean units of measurement, which sounds similar to galaxies.

Totally fine with non-main plot episodes, though I think the Super Jet Alone Robeast rematch episode could have been a bit less redundant. Funny that Pidge didn't get a wood love-interest, since Hunk and Lance got ones corresponding to their element.

I have huge problem with this explanation. It makes sense and I accept it - but MAN, two seasons. After the major beat down they took directly at the end of the first, almost dying in the hands of a single guy... How they are all so calm and not immediately trying to get better at piloting when season 2 starts? How are they ok with trying again just because they got a couple of allies that are not even going to fight with them?

It doesn't help that the only moment someone tries to have a better bond with its lion this season, all it's needed is sleeping for half an hour inside it. It doesn't help that Hunk finally triggers his lion equip-power-up and straights up says (in gag, but says it nonetheless) that he doesn't know how to use it in a fight.

It really feels like bad writing to me =/

And, not directly related to this, but I also have a problem with Voltron appearing so rarely just to get repeatedly beaten when it's their strongest asset. There are a couple of times where they de-form Voltron and go back to the lions because they don't know how to deal with the enemy with Voltron. C'mon. It completely undermines the point of the combination.

How long has it been in-universe time though, throughout the first two seasons -- a few months, perhaps? Zarkon was there when Voltron was created and was the Black Paladin for years. Of course he's going to be far more battle-hardened and trained than the team. I mean, it does result in quite a few deus ex moments when their lions tell them about another ability which allows them to win the battle, but at the same time I like how they're constantly evolving and getting better.

As someone who never watched any sort of Voltron show until this one, I really like how rare and powerful the Robeasts are, and how much difficulty the team has in defeating each one.

They remind me a lot of the Angels on Evangelion, where each battle was a major event. I suspect this may have been deliberate, given how visually evocative they are to the Angels, in particular that one with the flappy arms that shoots lasers - he looked like he just stepped out of Eva 5.0 : And I'll (Not) Form the Head

Yeah, that monster was fantastic, and it really reminded me of Evangelion as well (I have seen the original series but didn't like it much).

All of them are in military school and Keith is supposedly a prodigy.

Whether it's military school or not, Lance is a pilot, Hunk a navigator and Pidge an engineer. They aren't trained for combat. I've no idea about Keith; I thought it said he dropped out of military school?

Whether it's military school or not, Lance is a pilot, Hunk a navigator and Pidge an engineer. They aren't trained for combat. I've no idea about Keith; I thought it said he dropped out of military school?
Keith was in the pilot course, same as Lance. Lance (one-sidedly) considered Keith his rival before Keith dropped out.

Blues1990

Coran can pilot the castle on his own as seen in the season one finale. He just can't open wormholes.

As for Red Lion Allura mentioned that it needed a pilot that is daring and not afraid to push. Allura may not be that which is why I can see Blue opening up as that was said to be the most open of all the Lions. Lance I do think could handle Red, mostly due to his "I'll keep up with Keith" attitude/rivalry.

Basically, it gives the chance to match the '84 Voltron in that fashion.

Huh, I honestly didn't realize that he could fly the ship on his own (lack of galaxy jump aside). That's good to know for the future. And good point about Lance's rivalry with Keith, as while that is played up for comedic effect, I can see that being a big motivator for him if the time does come to pass.

I just want Season 3 to be announced already, LOL.

Holy shit the final episode was amazing. Seriously, I was on the edge of my seat the whole damn time. Plus,
the reintroduction of the blazing sword was perfect.

Can't wait for season 3!

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Relevant to VOLTRON fans:

GungHo Online Entertainment America is pleased to announce an exciting new effort in its ongoing series of brand partnerships: VOLTRON LEGENDARY DEFENDER! We are teaming up with Universal Brand Development to bring the popular reimagined DreamWorks Animation Television series to Puzzle & Dragons in the first collaboration exclusively for North America! Check out Season 2 of DreamWorks VOLTRON LEGENDARY DEFENDER, now streaming on Netflix!

Link: https://www.facebook.com/PuzzleAndD...776928217571/1539089322786321/?type=3&theater

Note: I work for GungHo and have been working on this collab.

Hung Wei Lo

I kind of wish the special Voltron weapons had a little more flair...."Form sword" doesn't give me the same excitement as "Form Blazing Sword"

Otherwise, I loved this (and add me to the Space Mall ep is the best list)

Bulzeeb

so I just finished ep 7 and I've really enjoyed so far, seriously, this is the best thing to come out of that Dreamworks/Netflix partnership. Also, I must admit that after this episode I felt something I haven't felt in a long time, that is the possibility of shipping two characters and by two characters I meant Pidge and Lance
help gaf!! :S

Zen Aku

Just finished Season 2. Fantastic.

I get the complain about Voltron being underpowered but They only been paladins for less than a year? Plus I rather they build up the power levels than having Voltron being op every single battles. No one want to see a one sided battle, that's not how you make a good shonen. (Unless you're One Punch Man)

Tuck

Three episodes into season 2. Enjoying it more than the first season - things seem a bit more.... creative? And it feels like theres more action but maybe I'm imagining it.

Tim Hendrick still likes cheesy dialogue a bit too much though, and thats problematic considering the already not-really-all-that-cool Voltron that the show is based around, and the extremely poor villain that is Zarkon. The main cast (Minus Alora, who is Katara except horrible) are all fun to watch though, and the action is good, but just as with the first season, the cheesiness and poor villain continue to be a damper on the show.

entremet

Loving this season, but the animation quality suffers in the middle episodes.

I know this is common in animation to save money and meet budgets, but a mild annoyance.

duckroll

Finished season 1 and 2. Season 1 was pretty mediocre. The first few episodes were dreadful in terms of pacing. Making the first 3 episodes a 68 minute pilot is a terrible idea for kids animation because it really doesn't hold interest that long. With breaks every 20 minutes it's much easier to watch.

When the plot for season 1 "got going" it improved, but was still kinda meh. I like the idea of them visiting different planets and civilization and having mini-adventures while trying to fight Zarkon, but the season just didn't do enough with the concept. It felt really drawn out, almost like they didn't know if it would get renewed so didn't put in effort until later in production when they knew they could make another season.

Season 2 is way better right from the start. More interesting places, more interesting Robeast fights, more interesting in general. I think the worst episodes in season 2 were the 3 near the end where they split on different missions. The prison rescue was stupid because the guy they were rescuing was annoying as hell. The giant space worm episode was the best of the bunch but still had too much bad humor. The Princess Alura solo was a snoozefest aside from the fight at the end. The best episodes of season 2 were the Space Mall episode and the Blade of Marmora stuff. Keith's melee action is always great to watch.

Best things about the show? Studio Mir's character animation is great. I love the way they animate action, and even their comedic facial animations are great. The most disappointing thing is the quality of the CG action animation with Voltron. Considering it's the part of the show actually produced in the US, I expected way more out of it. Instead it doesn't even look better than the above average TV anime CG that Orange is able to produce, and they're not funded by a big Hollywood studio.

The writing on the show is kinda garbage though. Not digging most of the humor. The only characters I like are Keith and Haggar. Most of the characters are annoying or underused.

Not

Banned
Whichever episode had the Shiro/Zarkon mind fight sequence is my favorite episode. Was that Space Mall?

Angelcurio

Loved the new season, specially the end when
Haggar orders to summon Prince Lotor
. The biggest flaw once again is the music, they definitely need the classic theme both in the intro and during transformation sequences.

I really wonder if there is some kind of licensing issues with the main theme. The actual intro music is horrible and forgettable. It was greatly criticized during the first season and yet the music didn't change on this new one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yep finally finished Season 2 as well.

Voltron was my favorite show as child, and wow those final couple of episodes in season 2 were off the chain.

I got sooooo many questions now too. Damn. Wtb Season 3 ASAP!!

JSevere

there was another thread on this but just to put it in the OT, Season 3 is coming in September

tumblr_olli6uTnpp1r8tgzgo1_1280.jpg

Burger King toys on the way too, we made it guys

Kalentan

Season 2 was good. I'm half and half on the 11 ~ 13 episode releases. On one hand their high quality but on the other hand I wish I had full on 24 episode seasons. Then again, in the end by the time we reach 78 episodes it will be amazing to binge rewatch.

I've just finished watching season 2 for the third time. I really like this show - it's a great spiritual successor to Avatar IMO.

• I think Zarkon is a really good villain. He's physically imposing, relentless and his obsession with and knowledge of Voltron is a good counterpoint to the five new Paladins, who are constantly learning their way with the lions and with Voltron.
  • Additional to that, I really like Haggar too. She's extremely powerful and in some ways more dangerous than Zarkon, and I find her unwavering loyalty kind of admirable and scary. I like the bit in the final episode when Zarkon
    puts on his armour to face Voltron
    , and she's getting frantic and shouts "We must protect our emperor!" I'm interested to see if her little revelation at the end of season 2 has any ongoing consequences, and I like that she's almost the polar opposite of Allura.
  • I think, having watched them all a few times over my favourite is still the Space Mall episode. I really like the silliness of this episode and it's filled with some neat gags (like when Hunk turns into Gordon Ramsay after less than an hour in the kitchen). My other favourites are where they go to rescue Slav from the prison and the excellent series finale.
  • I like that there is not too much emphasis on robeasts (
    three across
    13 episodes;
    four if you count Zarkon's armour
    ). This leaves plenty of room for character development, and I think they do a good job for the most part. As someone else mentioned, it focuses a lot on Keith this time around and forgets about Lance - which was the other way around in season 1, but other than that it's generally excellent.
  • I really like the writing, I really like the characters, I think the animation is great and the fight scenes tend to be really well directed. I just find it thoroughly enjoyable to watch in the background, which is why I've watched it so much already.

It's a great show and I'm looking forward to the next season. I love this format of a short batch of episodes released twice per year.

Rafavert

I need to share.

Episode 36 and 37 (total count, not sure which they'll be on Netflix) are HILARIOUS! We're talking Space Mall level (in terms of quality, not so much quantity of jokes within one episode). Coran is the best!
Ima need some gifs of those episodes once they're released...

Also, one episode has a really cool nod to fans of the original show =)
(No, it's not the original theme, sorry!)

NastyBook

Love this show, but they really, REALLY need to get a new theme. It is so terribly underwhelming, especially when the Lions form up.

Rafavert

Who do we need to start a twitter campaign at to make this happen?

I work in the translation, so I'm too far down the chain to be able to tell ya that...! How about Netflix itself or Joaquim dos Santos?

Love this show, but they really, REALLY need to get a new theme. It is so terribly underwhelming, especially when the Lions form up.

I have to agree. Voltron and Trollhunters, despite being great shows, have AWFUL openings.

StoneFox

Been rewatching some episodes while patiently waiting for season 3. I have even been watching the original GoLion on Crunchyroll, and while it certainly has aged pretty poorly, I always laugh at Lotor/Sincline's failures at doing his job and how pissed he gets because of it.
Especially the episode where the emperor was sick and dying so then Sincline decided to make his dad MORE DEAD by giving him poison but it ended up healing him instead. Lol

Voltron LD Season 3 hope:
Man I hope Shiro comes back and hangs out with Hunk because I don't recall those two ever having a full conversation. Nobody wants to hang out with the best paladin. :(

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I've never played Puzzles and Dragons, however I have two questions: is this likely to roll our anywhere other than North America (specifically UK), and also will it be on the mobile version of the game? I've never had any interest in it but I might do with a Voltron tie-in.

Missed this, sorry for not following up. The Voltron tie-in collab went live today in Puzzle & Dragons and it's exclusive to North America

mm04

Finally got to finishing Season 2 in my backlog. After not really feeling the first 2 or 3 episodes, I gave it a couple of months and started up again and it really finished strong for me and I powered through the last 10 episodes in a few days. Seeing as that I watched the original 30+ years ago, I barely remember anything other than Voltron whipping his sword out and ending battles in a rinse repeat fashion. The Haggar reveal was pretty cool and I found myself really liking the Galra conspirators. All in all, another good season and there are still some good mysteries to uncover about the team and missing relatives.

Rafavert

Heads up! 13 more episodes have been delivered and we've already began working on the next ones. Assuming they intend to release in batches of 13, the next 13 shouldn't take too long.
Also, this batch has two hilarious episodes. We're talking Space Mall level
and at least two Space Mall references!

GeoGonzo

So I found myself for a week on the USA and noticed this is available for download on netflix. Would that mean I can keep watching the episodes I've downloaded when I go back to Spain? I'm guessing the download would expire at some point, unless it does so instantly as soon as I connect from home and Netlfix notices its no longer in their catalogue.

So I found myself for a week on the USA and noticed this is available for download on netflix. Would that mean I can keep watching the episodes I've downloaded when I go back to Spain? I'm guessing the download would expire at some point, unless it does so instantly as soon as I connect from home and Netlfix notices its no longer in their catalogue.
If it's anything like Amazon, you need to be offline (aka on plane mode) to watch the episodes.

The second you connect to something and the ip isn't from the US, it locks the content unless it's also streaming in that country

StoneFox

Someone on Tumbler posted a leaked screenshot from Season 3. A huge spoiler too, but my hype levels have only increased. I have no idea where they got the photo though. If you want to avoid spoilers, avoid the site, it might start to trend.

Edit: jeez people move fast, there's already fan art of it.

Rafavert

Someone on Tumbler posted a leaked screenshot from Season 3. A huge spoiler too, but my hype levels have only increased. I have no idea where they got the photo though. If you want to avoid spoilers, avoid the site, it might start to trend.

Edit: jeez people move fast, there's already fan art of it.

Could you share it with me?

Blues1990

Heads up! 13 more episodes have been delivered and we've already began working on the next ones. Assuming they intend to release in batches of 13, the next 13 shouldn't take too long.
Also, this batch has two hilarious episodes. We're talking Space Mall level
and at least two Space Mall references!

Are you working on the show? If so, which department?

Blues1990

Translation.

As for the pic
I don't remember that scene in particular, but it does seem to be real. The screen text suggests it's a preliminary but nearly final file.

Storyboards, Storyboard Revisions, Background Artist, Animatic Editor, that sort of thing.

Top Bottom