• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

PSqueak

Banned
Aw shit, that's right! Voltron's back! gonna start watching tonight after work and maybe marathon the rest tomorrow.

Rafavert

I'll take this as Netflix ordering that amount, checking critical/audience reaction plus popularity, and will consider more episodes if the show is doing well.

Might be the case, but not necessarily. I remember when we first got Trollhunters we were only told of 13 episodes, but it ended up being 26. Same thing with Voltron: we started working on 14-26 before the first 13 were released.

Calcium

Banned
I watched 4 of the new episodes today. They've upped the adorable factor with Pidge. I'm enjoying the new season so far.

pbayne

Done and dusted. God bless Netflix/Dreamworks and the Voltron team for single handley keeping the mecha genre alive lol.

Some spoilery impression!

-Yo that last fight though, the last 5 minutes are non-stop hype. I wonder who the red lion will be piloted by now assuming that Keith takes on the mantle of the black lion. Either Allora or the mysterious person Keith and Hunk rescued seem the likely choices.

-Interesting twist that some alteians(lol im gonna butcher the alien names no doubt) are working with the Galra. It also feed into the princesss arc over the season which was nice.

-Lot of great character moments sprinkled throughout. It was obvious that Shiro and Keith were the main focus of the season and both had great moments of development. Ditto for the sharpshooter Lance too, love that guy.

-I liked the pacing, its quite like the different seasons of Avatar were they slow the action back down again from the climax of last season so that they can ramp it back up gradually. Its nice that the show kept up the variety in the action set pieces and resisted the temptation to just to blow their load on like 50 voltron battles.

-My favorite episode and my example of why the show works so well is episode 7 where the team goes to a mall and Shiro trains with his lion. Its such a great mix of wacky zany humor with really amazing character moments and kick ass action(best fight of the season is Shiro vs Zarkon imo.) Lol the references too Kamina glasses and DBZ shoulder armor.

-Yo Zarkon's mech is dope.

Sou Da

Ey,

wAHBgWi.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dunno why my region doesnt have this if its a netflix original

Anbec7

Kudos to all the people who animated the season in my eyes it looked a lot better.
The development was also well done, I liked seeing the progression of all the characters.

NOW SPOILERS FOR ALL EPISODES

Last fight was amazing!
I was worried Shiro may die due to all the season 2 trailers and stuff but... now he just dissapears into the void? I want to know what happens!
Allura continues being badass and develops well during her moments
I'm not sure about Keith being leader of Voltron but I want more episodes. But it was nice of him to grow more from the emo phase thing
It was good that they did reference some stuff on the first season (Crystals, Balmera, etc) but they didn´t linger a lot on that

Anyway I hope they release the next season this year.

Just binged through it. Stunning. The show still seems to have an awkward pace as they try to speed along a lot of plot in a short amount of time, introducing major players in a few episodes and having them be key characters for the final episodes.

But I can't fault them for working with what they're given. Some of the battles in this season were fantastic, rivaling some of those great scenes in S1 and some lasting much longer or being much more interesting visually, so congrats on that.

As to more spoiler-y thoughts (warning do NOT click these if you haven't finished as they are massive spoilers for the season)

- I'm glad they focused more on Keith and Shiro this season. Looks like the last season they took a backseat for the most part to Pidge, Lance and Hunk who all had episodes where they were the hero or got a lot of story development.

- Speaking of Keith, while I appreciate he's part alien and his mom was this badass Cat Jedi (which he has some talent for if properly trained), they could have made it a bit more obvious he's part alien. I mean I guess it would give it away, but at the same time this race doesn't look exactly human more like cat people. So why have him look entirely human?

- The final episodes and battles were great. Keith storming the base, fighting the space wizards alongside Thane. Princess Allura whooping ass with her staff alongside the Cat Jedi. And Voltron v Gundam was fantastic, particularly the shot of all of them screaming at the end as they beat him.

- Seeing how the episode ended in a cliffhanger last time, I don't think Shiro is entirely gone. He seems to have disappeared magically, which means he will come back as the rule of tv is if you don't see them die they are alive. In this case I expect the season to be about them making due without Shiro as Keith takes the mantle of leader. This would mean that somebody else has to pilot the Red Lion, and I can only assume it'll have to be someone equally as brash and danger seeking as Keith. I can only imagine it'll have to be that Gamoran pilot they rescued. And for some reason I expect the pilot to be a girl. In these type of shows when the person behind the mask keeps quiet and they keep referring to them as 'he' the shock comes when they take off their helmet and it's revealed to be a woman.

- I don't know if the show was trying to ship Allura with Keith, or if it was entirely just meant to be for the whole 'you're 1/2 of the race that killed my people, I hate you but not really' arc. They had the episode of them escaping together, floating through space together, and then finally her ignoring him and then hugging each other. The thing is that in any other show I feel they would have made it more obvious if they were being shipped, so I'm going in with the assumption they were just being emotional.

Looking forward to the Sakuga webms about the show, and the third season whenever that arrives. Man, Netflix is knocking it out of the park with Voltron and with Trollhunters. Both shows I didn't expect to like that ended up kicking ass.

Yeah, much improved variety. I'll echo the others in saying that Space Mall was the stand-out for fitting comedy, character moments and astral fwee-fighting into one episode.
Shiro throughout the season seemed quite incredulous of his own continued survival, what with constantly preparing Keith for command. He also is quite insensitive towards those with Space-OCD.

Hopefully next season we'll see some more of earth again, since Hunk and Lance don't have much backstory to speak of at the moment, and they did show the latter's family.

Just finished season 2. I thought it was excellent from start to finish. A few rushed plot points, but overall very strong, and an improvement on the first season for sure.

Obviously Shiro isn't dead but he'll probably be MIA for the first part of S3 so they can have Keith be leader for a bit, as they've been so fervently building to. The mysterious black masked pilot will probably control the red lion then, though I'd prefer Coran instead. My question is what happens when Shiro comes back? A sixth lion? Someone gets demoted?

Finished binging S2 as well and loved it, though it really did feel like episodes 1 & 2 was a part of S1.

Loved to see Keith getting more fleshed out, as he's always been my favorite character since GoLion/Voltron '85. So needless to say, S2E8 was my absolute favorite episode of Season 2.

Only quibble of mine for this season is how the quality of the 3D looks from episode to episode.

Bring on Season 3!

I binged this yesterday and finished up too. Absolutely loved it; continues to have an amazing mix of comedy, character development and action. Really well animated too, and I like how it has a fairly big cast but everyone gets their moment to shine. I will try to watch it all again and write up some proper thoughts, but a couple of things:

-
the Galra soldier they met inside the giant worm is obviously going to turn out to be an ally, and probably female. Maybe she'll defect and become Keith's girlfriend.
-
I would guess Shiro is either trapped inside the consciousness of his lion, or there was some space/time flux and he's trapped inside Zarkon's body.
- I loved the bit in the final episode when it went into the sketch animation effect again. That looks outstanding every time.

SUMMON PRINCE LOTOR!
Holy quiznak!!! Way to finish with such a hype line!

Really enjoyed this season; managed to binge this during and after work.

Raxus

Was pretty iffy on the first half of the season but the latter half more than made up for it. Big improvement from the previous season.

Was there an outright reveal of Keith mother? Black mask is totally going to be the new pilot in S3.

Was pretty iffy on the first half of the season but the latter half more than made up for it. Big improvement from the previous season.

Was there an outright reveal of Keith mother? Black mask is totally going to be the new pilot in S3.
no. We just know she's a cat person and a blade who must have landed on earth and fallen in love with an earthling. It'd be poetic if Keith ends up falling in love with one of them as well

Think I'm gonna take this season slow instead of binging like I did the first one. Two episodes in and so far Hunk is still the best paladin, easily.

Best episode. I just finished the season and I did not expect it to get as mecha as it got. Loved it, glad to see a certain character confirmed for next season.

can you say who? I don't mind spoilers.

edit: oh nevermind derp the last line haha

edit 2: Hmmm, reading profiles from the original series looks like it's definitely a possibility that
Keith will become leader for a bit. Maybe Shiro will eventually come back riding another mech. So the pilot Keith and Hunk rescued could potentially become a permanent member. Also apparently Keith in the original series was very fond of Allura and eventually they get together, so maybe what I was seeing in here WAS shipping

Calcium

Banned
Just finished the second season. Holy hell, what a way to end. The last 3 episodes were crazy good and that last fight....wow.

Sad to see Shiro gone, he is one of my favorites. The series is clearly pushing for Keith to pilot the Black Lion, so even if Shiro returns where does that leave him?

I'm thinking Allura will become a Paladin. It makes more sense than the random Galra they encountered inside that space worm. Plus her energy was pink at the end, which was the color of her suit in the original.

While the last fight was amazing it was a little annoying that the Castle of Lions just sat there and watched Voltron take down Zarkon's ship. They should have been firing everything they had the second the ship went dark. Burn it down, don't take any chances.

Speaking of that last sequence, did they explain why they had to transport Zarkon's ship after shutting it down? It seemed like they could have just attacked it when the virus shut it down. Did I miss an explanation of the reason for transporting?

Really love the series. It's awesome that every Paladin/Lion gets a chance to shine.

Calcium

Banned
My question is what happens when Shiro comes back? A sixth lion? Someone gets demoted?

Haha!
Shiro returning with a white lion would totally give me MMPR flashbacks. If they did that would would a sixth lion add to Voltron?

Anyone else going to find it hard to believe any other Paladin using the Red Lion? They were pretty clear that the Red Lion is stubborn as fuck and I honestly don't see anyone else having what it takes to impress it.

Haha!
Shiro returning with a white lion would totally give me MMPR flashbacks. If they did that would would a sixth lion add to Voltron?

Anyone else going to find it hard to believe any other Paladin using the Red Lion? They were pretty clear that the Red Lion is stubborn as fuck and I honestly don't see anyone else having what it takes to impress it.

I think Lance has a shot. They've shown him arguing with Keith plenty of times, and he rides the red lion in the original. He's always particularly stubborn when it comes to Keith and flirting with girls. He probably won't be as impressed with him as with Keith, but hey they need to change lions

Calcium

Banned
I think Lance has a shot. They've shown him arguing with Keith plenty of times, and he rides the red lion in the original. He's always particularly stubborn when it comes to Keith and flirting with girls.
He probably won't be as impressed with him as with Keith
, but hey they need to change lions

If they go down that route it'll be hilarious to see Lance arguing with the Red Lion when it refuses to do what he wants. Now I kind of hope that happens, Lance would be pretty funny in that situation.

pbayne

Anyone else surprised that
Haggar never turned on Zarkon? The whole season Zarkon is blindingly tunnel visioned "Black lion Black lion Black lion" to the extent that he fucks over his own forces numerous times. I greatly expected Haggar to turn on him at some point but i guess she's more loyal than she looks.

I think the prince being a more clever, cerebral antagonist that could out-think the team rather than Zarkon's more direct, blunt methods would make a nice change of pace next season.

Rafavert

Dunno why my region doesnt have this if its a netflix original

Where are you from? The Dreamworks originals based on existing franchises (Voltron and Dawn of the Croods) are a bit off when it comes to distribution. Here in Portugal we don't have Voltron and Dawn of the Croods is being aired on a cable channel.

Btw, my favourite moment in the whole season was
slow motion Coran greasing the orbs with his face.
I had to rewatch the scene a few times xD

Sou Da

Anyone else surprised that
Haggar never turned on Zarkon? The whole season Zarkon is blindingly tunnel visioned "Black lion Black lion Black lion" to the extent that he fucks over his own forces numerous times. I greatly expected Haggar to turn on him at some point but i guess she's more loyal than she looks.

I think the prince being a more clever, cerebral antagonist that could out-think the team rather than Zarkon's more direct, blunt methods would make a nice change of pace next season.

She was loyal to a fault really. Glad Allura learned the truth as well.

Speaking of that last sequence, did they explain why they had to transport Zarkon's ship after shutting it down? It seemed like they could have just attacked it when the virus shut it down. Did I miss an explanation of the reason for transporting?

I didn't catch the explanation either, but I assumed it was to get
Zarkon's ship isolated away from his fleet or any reinforcements so they could concentrate on
smashing the shit out of it with minimal distractions.

Top Bottom