• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello downplays XBO/PS4 difference in Tomb Raider; "we just shipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "XBone cost $100 more but it has weaker specs" comment is the calling card of a lazy Sony fanboy considering the extra $100 is for the cost of the Kinect.

The "XBone cost $100 more because of kinect" comment is the calling card of a lazy Microsoft fanboy considering most gamers don't want Kinect. :p

Microsoft should have taken marketing from the Wii era of Nintendo. If Kinect is the focus then don't speak messages about power. Ignore it and focus on that product.

Microsoft has no clear message right now.

Nymphae

Banned
Everybody wants to focus on frame rate, there is Tomb Raider, there is a resolution thing going on and OK, there could be a lot of reasons why that could be true but we are just a [few] weeks in, we just shipped, it’s a long generation. People who bought an Xbox One are going to be in for an awesome generation of games that are only going to get better...

For god's sake man just shut the fuck up. This phrasing is hilarious, COULD be (a lot of) reasons it COULD be true. I don't expect you to flat out say you have the inferior version, but don't try and confuse the matter, and don't try and brush it off by saying "things will get better". Yeah, they do, when I play them on PS4. Funny how they don't need the time Xbox seems to require to bring me next gen fidelity.

You're right Albert. We like the highlight the proof and you like the highlight some fairy bullshit behind the scenes stuff.

x-Lundz-x

While there might be some technical differences between PS4 and Xbox One versions of multiplattform games, I'd like to stress the fact that these are not the only areas where PS4 and Xbox One versions differ. Xbox One versions offer a deeper experience though force feedback in the triggers that gives the player a new way to feel the action on screen. On top of that the Xbox One controller is built for supreme comfort in gameplay. For most games, Kinect also offers unique functionality that improves the immersion into a game. So I think the question of superiority of different versions of games needs to be answered on a lot of different levels and in many ways, I feel, Xbox One is the better platform to play these multi platform releases on. Our own exclusive content for Xbox One also shows that Xbox One can absolutely shine on a technological level. So, I'd recommend you not just to compare some numbers on a sheet, but to take a look at the whole experience when evaluating the Xbox One experience.

If only they had built a box that was at least comparable to the PS4, the Xbox One would have been the ultimate choice even at a higher price. If the power difference was in reality let say, 10% and under, then yes this quote would make sense and be accurate and I would own an Xbox One right now. 40-50% difference? They can go eff off. They purposely cheaped out and will pay for it an entire generation.

sinseers

He realistically should be asked what "exactly" is it about the XBO that justifies it costing $100 more than its direct competitor now that they have both launched?

Vizzeh

Banned
I think there were 12 titles were released on both platforms [PS4 and Xbox One], leaving three, all of them had the same performance on both boxes

I don't have a list in-front of me but whats the chances hes being disingenuous?

BradC00

just sitting here waiting for killzone to download.

did people complain this much when ps3 had weaker ports at $200 more? j/w.

hawk2025

God damn. So much bullshit quotes that I don't even remember. The whole situation sucked, including the quotes upon quotes afterwards thanking these guys for posts like that.

Ugh, all the "thanks for clearing the air, Albert!", "boom!", etc posts that followed all of these quotes were just... ugh.

Serious question: how come he knows so much about what's going on behind the scenes with respect to resolutions, feamerate and power, but supposedly did not know Call of Duty's resolution right before launch?

The "XBone cost $100 more but it has weaker specs" comment is the calling card of a lazy Sony fanboy considering the extra $100 is for the cost of the Kinect.

Well... that ban was quick.

Anyway, I'm tired of seeing this claim.

It's bullshit. It's absolute bullshit.

The 100 dollars ISN'T for the Kinect.

Think about it. If the Kinect was only 100 bucks, you still have a 400 dollar machine that is noticeably weaker than the PS4.

I don't get why everyone is getting so worked up, what did you expect him to say? Is he supposed to bash his own product and lose his job just to please some gaffers? Come on now.

For the thousandth time, no. Can you not see the difference between lying about your product and downplaying the weakness? Read what Yoshi wrote.

Dinjooh

Penello said:
“Look, I had a lot of time to think about this and I believe in what I said. I believe that the differences between the boxes [PS4 and Xbox One] is not all that great and I know what is going behind the scenes and I have access to more information about some of this thing than a lot of people. Sometimes people tend to neglect the points that are in my favor and they like to highlight the points that tell me I am wrong. I still think Ryse is still the best looking game on any platform. Period. End of story,” he said.

dreams-vs-reality-o.gif

Freki

His job is turn things in a positive light. That's his JOB.

You could, you know, just not pay attention to what he's saying.

According to himself it isn't:
I don't work in Microsoft PR. I'm not sure why that's there, and I can't change it.

I do work at Microsoft, however.
Been on the forums for years. I rarely post, but I read a bunch.

Certainly nothing condescending was intended. I really mean it – I had a bunch of people come to my office to tell me my name was in a GAF thread so I jumped online.

Also, no PR here. I don’t work in PR. Not trolling for any, either. This is on my personal time.

Given the vast amount of evidence to the contrary, can we conclude that he's just an unabashed bullshitter or do we think he's genuinely drank too much of the company kool-aid?

Um yeah this.

I think the more he talks the more people see through his bullshit.

Now it's just ridiculous the stuff that guy says.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.
This guy. It's as if the developers haven't had a say in which console they're saying has the graphical advantage. But maybe you're right. We'll just have to wait and see which of the two has better optimized games in a few years.

Rumble triggers and Kinect vs. 1080p, 60fps.

Yeah, I think I know which one wins.

What else is MS going to do when they keep missing out on the latter? Commit seppuku?

They're stuck with the specs they have, and they're not going to win the power debate. No amount of PR obfuscation is going to magically double TR's frame rate or increase COD and Battlefield's resolution.

Steroyd

Err... isn't Mr Panello's logic flawed a bit, I mean the experience doesn't change buying the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of multiplat games like Tomb Raider either, which begs the question why upgrade from PS3 --> PS4 or Xbox 360 --> Xbox One at all.

Which begs the question, are MS justifying the extra money for Kinect, looking at sales difference between PS4 and XB1, the answer is "not right now" if ever. Never helps that they keep bringing attention to where they're unquestionably weaker, instead of highlighting Kinect exclusive features for their own games like Nintendo did on the Wii for example.

Jesus Christ... It's one thing to think that, but the way he said it to the interviewer just sounds like he's desperate or something.

Coming to GAF was definitely the worst idea he/his superiors had.

He seems to imply there are current issues with xbone development ecosystem which may be hindering it's gaming performance.

Hopefully, Ms can iron these issues out.

In fairness, he has to suggest this otherwise he may as well concede that their machine is over priced in comparison to a more powerful system. As an MS exec he would have been better not mentioning this. He will get grief either way however sometimes it's better for people to suspect your an idiot than open your mouth and prove it.

Ugh, all the "thanks for clearing the air, Albert!", "boom!", etc posts that followed all of these quotes were just... ugh.

Idol worship is far too common and prevalent in practically any community.

If not for the continued proof-in-the-pudding that Albert has been full of bollocks or our Bishbans, the Albert Penello fanclub will continue to lick the grounds he walk on.

Mondy

Banned
What else is MS going to do when they keep missing out on the latter? Commit seppuku?

They're stuck with the specs they have, and they're not going to win the power debate. No amount of PR obfuscation is going to magically double TR's frame rate or increase COD and Battlefield's resolution.

They are stuck with the specs they have because they were fucking stupid and over exaggerated the popularity of Kinect. As far as I'm concerned, they can cop the consequences on the nose for the rest of this gen.

Hexa

Rumble triggers and Kinect vs. 1080p, 60fps.

Yeah, I think I know which one wins.

PS4 has voice commands too though. I haven't used them, but in a stream a guy paused it, and then kept accidentally pausing it with them when he was complaining about it (before he even knew voice commands were in the game) and then when he couldn't figure out how to show the map he said "show map" eventually and it just popped up. Other random stuff kept popping up too since he was talking to viewers while playing so he turned them off, but if you're playing alone I don't really see what could be better about the XBone Kinect version.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Here, I'm done with this bullshit by Penello. But I'm a generous man and I offer him a new PR plan.

It's not the flawless and some might not like it, but it's better than what it is now. Here it is:

"Have you seen Titanfall?"

WarpathDC

While I agree that Ryse probably had the best eye candy so far, the more the man opens his mouth the worse it gets. Pick your battles man. I know going into buying both systems that 98% of my multiplats would be bought on ps4. Since they are losing on the technical front I bet they are G'ing up devs as we speak for exclusive of timed exclusive content. I hate that kind of shit but I'm not sure what other ways they can sway the decisions of multi console owners to buy on their system. PS4's better IQ/performance and vita remote play far exceed the superior audio mic codec/multi-player experience of Xbl for me.

Well... that ban was quick.

Anyway, I'm tired of seeing this claim.

It's bullshit. It's absolute bullshit.

The 100 dollars ISN'T for the Kinect.

Think about it. If the Kinect was only 100 bucks, you still have a 400 dollar machine that is noticeably weaker than the PS4.

And what's funny, people in my situation who own an Xbox One are calling BS. Fair enough the Kinect does add money to the overall cost of the console but that doesn't justify it being there or that it's right.
Xbox: Snap bullshit detector.

blackflag

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

It is obvious..unless you are blind.

KOHIPEET

I think there were 12 titles were released on both platforms [PS4 and Xbox One], leaving three, all of them had the same performance on both boxes

Well, for a start BF4 and COD Ghosts beg to differ. p x 720

People who bought an Xbox One are going to be in for an awesome generation of games that are only going to get better. I think these little things get way overblown versus like the quality of the games and the real differences in experiences which are pretty minor,” he said.

I think this was the most important part of the statement. The only part not bolded.

Serious question: how come he knows so much about what's going on behind the scenes with respect to resolutions, feamerate and power, but supposedly did not know Call of Duty's resolution right before launch?
They knew according cboat, along with the resolution for titanfall, but decided to feign ignorance until the games were on shelves.

Skeff

Albert Penello is Factully incorret:

leaving three, all of them had the same performance on both boxes.

NBA 2k14: Better AA on PS4
CoD: 1080p vs. 720p
BF4: 900p vs. 720p
AC4: 1080p +better AA vs. 900p
NFS: Missing effects on XB1.

If he wasn't just talking about launch games, we also have Tomb Raider.

So another Albert Penello comment to downplay the differences is factually incorrect. Keep going Albert...

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't have a list in-front of me but whats the chances hes being disingenuous?

COD on PS4 has a higher resolution and goes over 60 fps.
Battlefield 4 on PS4 has a better framerate and a higher resolution than the Xbox One version.

It wouldn't be wrong to say that most of them are equal, but he's ignoring that the games that arent identical have huge graphical differences. Plus there's the crushed blacks on Xbox ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom