• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC Performance Thread

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Since some users in the OT have the PC version, starting this thread.
Comparison gifs from reddit of the two most expensive features.

Ambient Occlusion:
occlusion-gif-2zfuod.gif

occlusion-gif-31ju4c.gif

Shadow Quality:
shadows-gif-12auwg.gif

shadows-gif-273udp.gif

Setting descriptions.
acssettings6du04.jpg

PCGaming Wiki

Karak

Codex cape. In before it becomes a thing.
Hope that texture bug pic isn't rampant though. That looks bad. This is a game that deserves to do very very well.

Tagyhag

I'm interested in the impact that the Nvidia features have.

Nvidia themselves do pretty good benchmarking so I'll be waiting for that.

It's nice that someone picked up the tab after TweakGuides stopped being a thing.

Cincaid

Seeing varying reports.

Here's a PC performance test on a 970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e23RKPxfz4

YouTube comments (I know), but not getting a hopeful vibe from them. Personally I prefer 60fps over having everything set to Ultra.

Cape and other cloth runs at 30fps. It's really distracting when the rest of the game runs at 60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAS0wlwbWE Sorry for the off screen video

Yep, that seems super-distracting. :(

4jjiyoon

i7 2600k
8gb ram
gtx 970

runs at a pretty solid 60fps at 1080p with everything except shadows on max. pcss shadows tank the framerate and they barely add anything.

Flandy

i7 2600k
8gb ram
gtx 970

runs at a pretty solid 60fps at 1080p with everything except shadows on max. pcss shadows tank the framerate and they barely add anything.

Maybe I should up my settings a little then considering we're running the same setup

4jjiyoon

Maybe I should up my settings a little then considering we're running the same setup
yeah i noticed that. turn up everything except pcss. you'll get drops but it's playable.

i always have environment quality on max in ac games because the pop in is unbearable else.

Tagyhag

Cape and other cloth runs at 30fps. It's really distracting when the rest of the game runs at 60

WTF I hope that's a bug, that's super distracting. I tolerated 30fps animations in Bioshock but every time I walk? No way.

40 fps on a 970, and 20-ish around the end of the video. My PC won't stand a chance.
I think I won't be bothering with this one as well. A shame really, as I'm really interested in the settings this time.

Remember that you don't have to max everything, some things are always going to be huge hogs.

Corpsepyre

Banned
40 fps on a 970, and 20-ish around the end of the video. My PC won't stand a chance.
I think I won't be bothering with this one as well. A shame really, as I'm really interested in the settings this time.

Yes, but the test is missing the day one patch, which could up the performance. Let's wait and see.

Have they added in the missing shadows from some light sources on PC? It's obviously limited by the consoles hardware but I don't see that an issue in PC.

4jjiyoon

i've been playing downsampled from 1440p locked to 30 and it's pretty solid. here are my pics from the ot. this is with txaa on.

acs2015-11-1803-08-56xeqgl.jpg
acs2015-11-1803-09-222qp79.jpg
acs2015-11-1803-10-05iepbx.jpg
acs2015-11-1803-11-03gaq7u.jpg

JimPanzer

seems the best place to ask this:
with the retail pc version is the full game on disc or do I have to download any part?

Trace

Banned

It's not really a fair test to completely max out settings and then say it runs like shit. Unity ran like shit no matter what you did, but running PCSS + everything on ultra on a 970 isn't really realistic hardware wise. If it was getting that kind of frames on a 980ti I could understand but even "good" ports like GTA drop a lot of frames if you push every setting to the max.

4jjiyoon

It's not really a fair test to completely max out settings and then say it runs like shit. Unity ran like shit no matter what you did, but running PCSS + everything on ultra on a 970 isn't really realistic hardware wise. If it was getting that kind of frames on a 980ti I could understand but even "good" ports like GTA drop a lot of frames if you push every setting to the max.
with everything to the max i get around 20 - 30 on a 970 at 1080p. you definitely have to lower some things.

Joey Ravn

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAS0wlwbWE Sorry for the off screen video

Running at 1080p60 on my 970, i7 2600k (stock speed), 8GB RAM
23107799275_175c9a455b_b.jpg

Post in OT with screenshots running at those settings
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185888177&postcount=2451

This gives me hope. Unless the game is crazy CPU intensive, then performance shouldn't be that much different in my setup, with an i5 2500K. I can live with some settings at Medium if that means a stable, playable FPS.

I got this game for free with my GTX 970, so I don't really care if I can play it or not. Ubisoft lost absolutely all my goodwill with this franchise I used to love, between the terrible quality of AC3 and the unplayability of ACU...

Flandy

Gonna bump up all the settings I had set to Medium to High. I'll post the results tomorrow. For now I'm off to bed

BlackEyes

970 gtx sli i7 4790k@ 4.6 ghz 12 gb ram everything maxed except msaa 2, 1080p my fps tanks to mid 40s in the street lol

From what I've seen I'm bummed how much worse it looks than Unity visually.

That said hopefully it runs better, as I here its a much better game. If the port is solid I'll be picking this up somewhat soon after release.

JohngPR

I can't get the game to preload. It keeps telling me that I either don't have enough disk space or I'm offline and Neither of those are the case. . Any ideas?

Jtrizzy

Gonna bump up all the settings I had set to Medium to High. I'll post the results tomorrow. For now I'm off to bed

why are you running a 2600k at stock speed? You can get that up to 4.2 without breaking a sweat. I have mine stable at 4.5, an amazing cpu going strong after four years.

Corpekata

Banned
Starting with the whole "we dump you right into the game" thing is really annoying on PC game devs. You might want to look cool but what you end up doing is forcing me to watch the first in game scene at like 12 FPS because you auto default to running the game at 5k and won't let me quit or change options.

Dr Dogg

Well before you jump to conclusions look at the settings they have selected, namely Percentage Closer Soft Shadows at Ultra and 2x MSAA with FXAA. Both of those settings come with quite a hefty performance cost (especially MSAA in a deferred engine). Ideally some proper benchmarks rather than a brief Youtube vid with no metrics on what either the GPU or CPU is doing is a better starting point of information.

Starting with the whole "we dump you right into the game" thing is really annoying on PC game devs. You might want to look cool but what you end up doing is forcing me to watch the first in game scene at like 12 FPS because you auto default to running the game at 5k and won't let me quit or change options.

Thanks for the heads up as I think that's going to cause me some issues. Black Ops III did that and selected my highest system resolution rather than my current display resolution (to query one it's a couple of characters different to get the other or your display's native). Of course that happened to be 7680x4320 which ground everything down to a halt and was an absolute pain even getting into the settings menu. I just disabled DSR in the end.

hlhbk

Specs:

Intel 4970k
Nvidia GTX 980
16 gb RAM
Gsync
Win 10

Is this an actual quality port? What kind of performance should I expect from my rig at 1080p?

UnrealEck

Specs:

Intel 4970k
Nvidia GTX 980
16 gb RAM
Gsync
Win 10

Is this an actual quality port? What kind of performance should I expect from my rig at 1080p?

~60 FPS.
High shadows (PCSS off)
HBAO+ Ultra
FXAA + TXAAx2
everything else maxed (textures, environment)

Corpekata

Banned
Performance seems odd.

Getting some noticeable stutter in some scenes even past 60 FPS on a Gsync display. Capping the game at 60 hz / 60 FPS seems to have relieved that, so far, I think, though it could just be coincidental.

At 1440p on a 980ti I'm a bit disappointed in performance overall. All of the AA methods besides FXAA are too taxing and so is HBAO+ Ultra, along with shadows needing to be tweaked down. Seems to be running worse than Unity really.

Hoping maybe there's a day one patch to fix some issues like the 30 fps cloth.

Kezen

Banned
I'll try hunting down a copy this afternoon.

From what I see the game performs very well, but the usual suspects can still make 60fps an unattainable dream (PCSS, MSAA).

I'm aiming for 50-60fps using max settings save for shadows and AA.

Top Bottom