• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC Performance Thread

SomTervo

I just need to know whether to get this on PC or PS4.

Happy with either.

This looks worse than Unity to me. Nothing impressive.

We already knew this. They toned down the graphical fidelity to make a better game.

Sounds like you're not paying attention to the game and just jumping in to shitpost on it (not that your post is a full-on shitpost).

Vash63

I just need to know whether to get this on PC or PS4.

Happy with either.

We already knew this. They toned down the graphical fidelity to make a better game.

Sounds like you're not paying attention to the game and just jumping in to shitpost on it (not that your post is a full-on shitpost).

They already had the engine done and everything, why downgrade it? Hardware's better every year.

Oh... consoles.

Kezen

Banned
They already had the engine done and everything, why downgrade it? Hardware's better every year.

Oh... consoles.

You can't completely redesign a game on PC, multiplatform games are necessarily structured around what consoles can and cannot do.

I'm not unhappy with that since PC versions have higher quality settings more often than not, Syndicate being one of them.

Curious about this HBAO+ "ultra". Wonder what the performance hit is like.

Dr Dogg

Oh that is a thing?

Sigh

Looks to be the case (sorry about the crazzzzzy formatting but see bellow).

Sooo Syndicate might have a little oversight in its cloth physics (assuming it is physics based and not animated). Flandy pointed out in the PC Perf thread that Evie's cape was not updating at the same frequency as the rest of the simulation.

Cape and other cloth runs at 30fps. It's really distracting when the rest of the game runs at 60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAS0wlwbWE Sorry for the off screen video

Running at 1080p60 on my 970, i7 2600k (stock speed), 8GB RAM
23107799275_175c9a455b_b.jpg

Post in OT with screenshots running at those settings
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185888177&postcount=2451

Also there's this other vid which features Jacob and here too you can see his coats movement is not in sync with the framerate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADcWwa01vo

Hmmmmm that stands out a mile in both vids and is probably going to do my nut in.

Be intresting to see what the score is, if this is an oversight or to be addressed later. Also wonder if Andy is doing a guide seeing he usually has one up for Ubisoft titles.

Lime

How are people able to play this already when it releases on Friday?

The game looks super blurry from the posted shots. Is it the DoF and/or the FXAA?

SomTervo

Oh... consoles.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

I think Unity's engine was fundamentally flawed, perhaps mismanaged, and in game development you often can't identify that sort of issue until very near release. They aimed for the moon and it was going great until, once all the pieces were slotted into place (including endgame server-side stuff like the app integration and online synchronisation), the game broadly had performance issues. I remember playing Unity on PS4 with the internet disconnected drastically improved the performance. It's hard to account/plan for stuff like that.

So with Syndicate they played it safe. They played it conservatively. They toned down the graphics themselves and removed a lot of the online integration.

If you looked at Unity as graphics/visual design only, it was a fucking masterpiece. But that level of fidelity wasn't necessary, and ultimately it really harmed them (DLC made free and everything). Aiming for the moon was a liability basically - it hobbled their last game. So for Syndicate they aimed for the ISS and made sure everything worked better. It wasn't a 'downgrade' because of consoles, but a mitigation of graphics to ensure the package as a whole would work better.

Kezen

Banned
So many people with 970s makes me cry.

I have i5 4440 and 2GB 7870 XT, do I have any hope of 30fps at medium to high detail?

Considering this is the XT version of the 7870, you might get away with console settings at 1080p/30fps.

Up to you if that's enough.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

I think Unity's engine was fundamentally flawed, perhaps mismanaged, and in game development you often can't identify that sort of issue until very near release. They aimed for the moon and it was going great until, once all the pieces were slotted into place (including endgame server-side stuff like the app integration and online synchronisation), the game broadly had performance issues. I remember playing Unity on PS4 with the internet disconnected drastically improved the performance. It's hard to account/plan for stuff like that.

So with Syndicate they played it safe. They played it conservatively. They toned down the graphics themselves and removed a lot of the online integration.

If you looked at Unity as graphics/visual design only, it was a fucking masterpiece. But that level of fidelity wasn't necessary, and ultimately it really harmed them (DLC made free and everything). Aiming for the moon was a liability basically - it hobbled their last game. So for Syndicate they aimed for the ISS and made sure everything worked better. It wasn't a 'downgrade' because of consoles, but a mitigation of graphics to ensure the package as a whole would work better.

This. I played Unity on Xbox One and it was just stunning (and unplayable).
Was Unity ever fixed on PC? Might buy that one day if it's cheap.

Also glad they got rid of the online stuff, you couldn't even open some chests in Unity if you were offline. Assassin's creed is a singleplayer only experience imo. They should put all their resources in that and make the game as bug free as possible.
I will probably buy Syndicate when the 30fps clothing bug(?) is fixed.

Aklamarth

So "maxed" out , does it looked nicer compared with Unity ? The screenshots don't seem to impressive to me (at least compared with Unity).

Why so serious? I just said the game is not as impressive visually as Unity on PC, and part of me hoped that the console version was perhaps "downgraded" but the PC version atleast retained its visuals since it was delayed compared to the consoles. Sadly it doesn't appear to be the case here.

SomTervo

So "maxed" out , does it looked nicer compared with Unity ? The screenshots don't seem to impressive to me (at least compared with Unity).

It looks like they didn't design the game to look as good as Unity, because they wanted to make sure it was a playable and fun videogame first. So max settings probably still won't look as good.

They made the right choice imo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Was Unity ever fixed on PC? Might buy that one day if it's cheap.

It runs fine provided you have at least 3GB VRAM. I feel that the technical issues on the console side resulted in the game receiving a harsher reception than deserved -- for my money it's the best entry in the series since 2/Brotherhood.

SomTervo

Any info on how to do this?

GAF might not be the best place to ask. Google it.

Why so serious? I just said the game is not as impressive visually as Unity on PC, and part of me hoped that the console version was perhaps "downgraded" but the PC version atleast retained its visuals since it was delayed compared to the consoles. Sadly it doesn't appear to be the case here.

I guess I was taking issue with the tone of evaluating the game solely on graphics and writing it off entirely based on that. Threads like this never really agree with me :p eg there was more to the story than 'looks worse than Unity, game over'.

No beef with you personally pal.

It runs fine provided you have at least 3GB VRAM. I feel that the technical issues on the console side resulted in the game receiving a harsher reception than deserved -- for my money it's the best entry in the series since 2/Brotherhood.

Agree with this and I even played it on PS4.

Thanks! I have a 980ti so it should run fine then. And I even enjoyed the missions in Unity on xbox one, but the 20fps was just unplayable so I stopped after a few hours.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there a way to lock the framerate at 30? Cause that fps seems to drop like the beat.

It has hz options, didn't check if 30 was one of them (24 was though for the true cinematic framerate fans). Only noticed that because it defaulted my refresh to that after changing resolution for some reason.

SpotAnime

Can't wait to try this on my older i7 950 (3.2 GHz) 12GB RAM and, more importantly, my R9 390. It'll be interesting to see how that 8GB RAM plays a factor, and how AMD cards will do with this in general.

I have to wait to tomorrow, since I ordered the physical copy from Best Buy to get the $10 promo.

Unity and Syndicate use totally different lighting. Unity's is all prebaked and only has like four different settings. Syndicate is back to a true real time lighting system. It was never in the cards to change it for PC release.

It has hz options, didn't check if 30 was one of them (24 was though for the true cinematic framerate fans). Only noticed that because it defaulted my refresh to that after changing resolution for some reason.
Dat 24hz...much cinematic.
u can use rivatuner statistics server to lock your framerate if u are on amd, and if u are nvida u can do that through the nvidia settings panel
Thanks!

JohngPR

58l5nk.jpg

Any ideas? I got a free code from a Samsung SSD I bought if that matters. I have plenty of space and am obviously online. :p

I even tried a different HDD and it said the same thing.

EDIT: Found a solution. Start Uplay as administrator.

beeswax

I've found for a 3770k + 980 combo, the following settings get me a reliable 60fps:

Environment Quality: Very High
Textures Quality: High
Shadows Quality: High
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+
AA: MSAA2x + FXAA

Any one setting increased a single notch causes drops at some point or another.

The usual Skip Intro method works if anyone is curious, just rename the videos. Seems pretty necessary in this case especially, feels like the epilepsy warning takes forever.

Link to the Unity ones: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Assassin's_Creed_Unity#Skip_intro_videos

There's an additional movie to do it to as well called Epilepsy.

That site should get more attention and honestly Steam should integrate it. It's amazing and should solve a lot of PC specific issues with a lot of games. Shame it isn't well known (I think).

Parsnip

I'll probably tone down the shadows first, I can absolutely live without PCSS.
I hope that the day 1 patch will fix the 30fps cape thing.

I've found for a 3770k + 980 combo, the following settings get me a reliable 60fps:

Environment Quality: Very High
Textures Quality: High
Shadows Quality: High
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+
AA: MSAA2x + FXAA

Any one setting increased a single notch causes drops at some point or another.

What resolution?

Saiyan-Rox

Specs:

Intel 4970k
Nvidia GTX 980
16 gb RAM
Gsync
Win 10

Is this an actual quality port? What kind of performance should I expect from my rig at 1080p?

~60 FPS.
High shadows (PCSS off)
HBAO+ Ultra
FXAA + TXAAx2
everything else maxed (textures, environment)

my rig is essentially the same but with an i5 overclocked and no gsync

make much difference? not that my rig ever performs like it should :/

Pre-rendered but in-engine cutscenes exhibit a LOT of aliasing.

Also for some reason the game auto set itself to 4K on my 970... I was wondering why I was getting sub-30fps. :p

I honestly think this looks worlds better than Unity. Unity is a pretty game on the technical side of things, but the art/setting of Syndicate is more appealing to me. *shrugs*

Top Bottom