• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supposed pricing for Google Nexus $550 Regular $650 for XL @32gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
David Ruddock of Android Police said they got what they believe as final pricing structure. Here is a sample of his tweets.

screenshot_2016-09-11nrs0d.png

Basically $550 for small and $650 for large. 32 gig stock. No 64 gig variant. $100 more to get 128gigs. Will be premium phones with unique Google features vs stock. Gonna sell at carrier stores. Also will have available financing.

Worth noting nothing is confirmed and he was only speculating that the $650 price was for 32GB. Also, he seemed to suggest the $650 price was word on the street which may have been him basing it off other rumors that said the same thing. He even went on Reddit just to say nothing is definitive and the reason it isn't on the site is because he isn't confident about it yet. Kind of early to make a thread about this since it sounds like he isn't any more confident about it than the other rumors saying $650 were.

Hey guys, David here. As much as I appreciate the attention, just a quick note: this is 100% hearsay at this point. There's a reason it's on Twitter, not AP. Pricing can change a lot between the time things are in the planning period and the slide appears on stage during the announcement. When we feel confident in any kind of number, you'll see it on the site. Same goes for the financing bit - this is what I'm hearing from a source that has been reliable, but that we don't yet have corroboration on. The pricing stuff is also fuzzy - I'm confident that number is in relation to the XL, because if it was the price for the standard 5" Pixel, Google would be certifiably insane.

LeleSocho

Banned
Wasn't the Nexus 5 the last Nexus to be pretty cheap? I think that myth/concept of them not being expensive has died in the last couple of years.

Mat-triX

Wasn't the Nexus 5 the last Nexus to be pretty cheap? I think that myth/concept of them not being expensive has died in the last couple of years.

Ya, the Nexus 5 was the last inexpensive Nexus. Overall, out of 8 Nexus phones (Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 5X/6P), only the Nexus 4 and 5 were priced like a mid-range phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Exactly. The Nexus 5 was the only 'cheap' one. I'm not sure where people got the idea that Nexus = Cheap.

Vanillalite

Ya, the Nexus 5 was the last inexpensive Nexus. Overall, out of 8 Nexus phones (Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 5X/6P), only the Nexus 4 and 5 were priced like a mid-range phone.

5X wasn't expensive, and it got even cheaper as the year went along.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was considering upgrading to the small one from my Nexus 5, but not for those prices. Hopefully it's wrong, otherwise I'll definitely be looking to something else.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Missed opportunity with the iPhone and Note 7 stuff. If they were Nexus 5 prices I bet they could've got a lot of people to switch.

I have no idea what the reasoning behind the pricing structure for these (and past phones) are and I am not going to pretend that I do, but man, that hurts.

That being said, I'm way too satisfied with my Nexus 5X to spend $500 - $600 on two extra gigs of RAM and a spec bump to the processor that I have never come close to using in a demanding way.

studyguy

So what people expected right? New line new big price tag.

I literally just picked up a one plus as well so oh well was sorta curious too.

Nexus 4, 5, and 5X were all cheap.
The Nexus 5X really wasn't cheap. It didn't have top of the line specs in comparison to other phones at that price point like the Moto X Pure and OnePlus 2 so it was more expensive and offered less. Not to mention the cost shot down really fast which seemed like it reflected the fact that it was too expensive.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't get the reluctance for sd card slots from nexus devices. They work fantastic for media.

Brinbe

Nope. Not worth that at all. Thank fuck there are many amazing and affordable options now. After having an SD slot on my G4, I can't go without it now. Being restricted to internal storage is horrible

With Nexus 6P in Europe, $500 became €650

So $550 Pixel will be €750 I guess, because fuck Google. Just to get an idea of actual European pricing: the 32GB iPhone 7 is €770.

If I'm spending $550 or more, I'm going iPhone. My music, photos, movies ect are well taken care of in the Apple Ecosystem. I only use an Android phone due to the price being much less than the iPhone.

My Nexus 5 was £299 here which was a great price, and it was actually a really decent phone for the money (except the camera, which was always poor).

tokkun

The stated goal for the Nexus line has always been to push boundaries and demonstrate what is possible with Android. At one point it was worthwhile to demonstrate that you could do a high quality unlocked phone for ~$400. Well, now there are a bunch of Chinese companies like OnePlus and Xiaomi putting out good products in that range. So what's gained by continuing to push on the value market?

The Android market is a lot weaker in the premium end right now, so it makes sense to try to reinvigorate that.

The stated goal for the Nexus line has always been to push boundaries and demonstrate what is possible with Android. At one point it was worthwhile to demonstrate that you could do a high quality unlocked phone for ~$400. Well, now there are a bunch of Chinese companies like OnePlus and Xiaomi putting out good products in that range. So what's gained by continuing to push on the value market?

The Android market is a lot weaker in the premium end right now, so it makes sense to try to reinvigorate that.

Agreed. And the new Nexus devices are supposed to have top-of-the-line specs, Snapdragon 821, 1440p displays, etc. They definitely weren't going to be as cheap as years before.

Vanillalite

Agreed. And the new Nexus devices are supposed to have top-of-the-line specs, Snapdragon 821, 1440p displays, etc. They definitely weren't going to be as cheap as years before.

I mean OK?

Other than the 821 which is an overclocked 820 that's nothing special?

I might get one on a installment plan if I like what I see. However it has to be like the iPhone in terms of updates not having to wait for carriers to push them out.

Nipo

Ugh wife wants a new phone and refuses to pay more than 500. We had a good run with nexus phones maybe time to give the se a try.

louiedog

This is making me think about importing something with good specs and a lower price, like the Xiaomi Mi5. Of course that means research for custom ROM support, LTE band support, etc. but it's a lot more tempting than spending $200 more.

Mrbob

I might get one on a installment plan if I like what I see. However it has to be like the iPhone in terms of updates not having to wait for carriers to push them out.

I have a 6P and updates get pushed out all the time. I thought that was the benefit of having a "pure" android phone. Unless something changed with the Pixel I'd expect the same.

I mean, minus the 821 these aren't going to be revolutionary over any other phone hardware wise. I thought earlier information suggested the 821 is something like 5% better performance wise and 10% more efficient than the 820 so it isn't a huge jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom