• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supposed pricing for Google Nexus $550 Regular $650 for XL @32gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, minus the 821 these aren't going to be revolutionary over any other phone hardware wise. I thought earlier information suggested the 821 is something like 5% better performance wise and 10% more efficient than the 820 so it isn't a huge jump.

It's not blowing away the competition, but there's not a lot better in the Android space atm so they're going to charge more

Last year's models had the 810 and 805, which were kinda meh

I have a 6P and updates get pushed out all the time. I thought that was the benefit of having a "pure" android phone. Unless something changed with the Pixel I'd expect the same.

I'm talking about the phones that are sold at At&t and Verizon. The old Nexus phones had to wait for those carriers to release the updates.

giga

Mz9sO90.png

This is crazy, considering how small of a spec bump it is. Where's Nvidia?

Jzero

Ridiculous, never paying that much for a phone after buying the Nexus 6 and the price going down a lot after a few months

The update talk had me wondering about 7.0's release date as I still haven't received it on my 5X. It's been 3 weeks. Sure I could go download it but why should I have to?

As a side note a quick search brought me to this article about the Pixel C and how 7.0 doesn't do crap for it.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/one-year-later-can-android-7-0-nougat-save-the-pixel-c/

The Pixel name isn't going to help sell phones.

A new operating system can't force devs to make tablet apps.

Android 7 on the pixel c is a rock solid operating system.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
That's the point, right? To change the perception that an Android phone can't be worth that type of premium.

No phone is worth that these days. They were only sold at that price because they were the hot new thing and subsidised.

The only brand that can probably still get away with it is Apple and even that's waning. Phones now are just things everyone has and reached a point years ago that's "good enough" for most people. Slapping a high price on it doesn't make it special.

inm8num2

I really need to get a new phone soon. Will probably opt for a 6P once the new models come out and hopefully lead to some price drops on last year's releases. Was thinking to get a Pixel model but it doesn't seem like the cost increase will be worth it.

Hell, a 5X has been near $200 a few times. I might just get one of those.

OmegaFax

I'm content with my Nexus 5X. Isn't the greatest phone on the planet but the camera is the best I've used to date. If the 6P comes up cheap on Amazon during the holidays, might go for it.

they moved away from the Nexus name and went with Pixel so they can charge more.

My thoughts as well. With dirt cheap phones getting better and better I imagine Google wants to get in on the "premium flagship device" train as well.

Not that I'm complaining. IMO Android desperately needs a premium vanilla option. Samsung's super hit and miss with their "premium" part (this year with the battery shit is definitely a miss) and they're most definitely not vanilla. I hope the price tag is worth it.

I'll be buying the highest storage model. I'm not sure if I'm getting the large or small one. If the battery life is that much better, I'll probably buy the large.

Apart from the proocessor upgrade and ram increase, there isn't much difference with the current Nexus 6P(the have same camera optics). the phone lost its stereo speakers and the design is meh especially with that giant ass bezels. I don't think they are worth that kind of money when you have the One Plus 3 in the market.

I'm talking about the phones that are sold at At&t and Verizon. The old Nexus phones had to wait for those carriers to release the updates.

That only affected the Nexus 6. The Nexus 5x and the 6P were never sold branded in the United States. They don't have issues with updates.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
A question: what are the differences going to be between the the Pixel and it's XL brother? I've read up some articles about the rumors, but they're kind of all over the place. There were even rumors that XL was going to be a tablet, now I find that it's actually a phone. This is why I don't keep up with smartphone rumors LOL.

Anyway, about the price - sounds like it's all speculation right now and not set in stone. I'm looking forward to getting rid of my laggy-ass LG G3 for Google's new flagship, the XL in particular; and I seriously hope it won't exceed my smartphone budget of $600. Nougat has been working like a dream on my Nexus 9, so I'm pretty stoked.

Caleb187

If they provide a discount on these phones if you opt into projectfi like they did with the Nexus5x, the price might be bearable. But ouch if these are the standard prices.

I'm still on a nexus5 and was hoping to jump this generation. It's going to be hard at that price point now.

Tripon

A question: what are the differences going to be between the the Pixel and it's XL brother? I've read up some articles about the rumors, but they're kind of all over the place. There were even rumors that XL was going to be a tablet, now I find that it's actually a phone. This is why I don't keep up with smartphone rumors LOL.

Anyway, about the price - sounds like it's all speculation right now and not set in stone. I'm looking forward to getting rid of my laggy-ass LG G3 for Google's new flagship, the XL in particular; and I seriously hope it won't exceed my smartphone budget of $600. Nougat has been working like a dream on my Nexus 9, so I'm pretty stoked.

The only tablet rumors I heard of was that Hunwei is making a Nexus 7 tablet.

emag

Apart from the proocessor upgrade and ram increase, there isn't much difference with the current Nexus 6P(the have same camera optics).

The processor upgrade is a pretty big deal. The Nexus 6P is barely fast enough to be usable for web browsing. Moving to an SD 821 should alleviate that pain point.

And build quality, screen quality, and image processing capabilities have yet to be revealed.

Cipherr

Exactly. The Nexus 5 was the only 'cheap' one. I'm not sure where people got the idea that Nexus = Cheap.

They had that short stretch where they priced them around 350 or something like that. Once that happened people instantly took to it. Will take a while for that to shake off. It was decent while it lasted, but those phones also lacked top end tech and typically suffered from industry bottom tier battery life.

Maybe they're adding a bunch of pricey new features and shit?

Unlikely. This is just how much these phones cost. The outlier was in the past where they sold them at a lost or near it. (Or cut corners everywhere).

If they provide a discount on these phones if you opt into projectfi like they did with the Nexus5x, the price might be bearable. But ouch if these are the standard prices.

Yeah, I'm hoping for this. Am willing to switch to Project Fi for a hefty phone discount.

Can somebody explain to me why anyone would buy this, when the S7 is the hottest phone on the market right now?

Some of us prefer stock Android. Greatly, even.

Mandelbo

This is making me think about importing something with good specs and a lower price, like the Xiaomi Mi5. Of course that means research for custom ROM support, LTE band support, etc. but it's a lot more tempting than spending $200 more.

Fairly interested in how easy it would be to get an Mi5 working in the UK with regards to this. The price seems really good - not much more than I paid for my 5S with the ceramic body and 128gb of storage, but the uncertainty whether it will actually work over here with regards to LTE bands and not being able to try one out beforehand is offputting. Anyone else have experience with Xiaomi phones over here? Are they any good?

Yeah, I'm hoping for this. Am willing to switch to Project Fi for a hefty phone discount.

Some of us prefer stock Android. Greatly, even.

That's part of the reason I will stay with Android, even though the camera and battery life are lacking compared to the iPhone. I'm going to switch from T-moible $74 unlimted plan to Google Fi $20+$30=$50 or 3GB data plan and my employer will pay $50 of my phone bill monthly basically giving me a free phone bill.

Ridiculous, never paying that much for a phone after buying the Nexus 6 and the price going down a lot after a few months

Yeah the only time you should buy a Nexus phone is on Black Friday or the day after when Amazon put them on fire sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom