• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Host Slammed A Guest For Using The N-Word On Her Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via BuzzFeed: www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/charles-kaiser-n-word-cnn?utm_term=.ff8ggMVkX7#.
Charles Kaiser, an author and blogger, used the n-word on CNN on Tuesday while claiming to quote Stephen Bannon, Donald Trump's senior White House counselor — drawing a sharp rebuke from anchor Brooke Baldwin.

At the end of the segment, Baldwin, who appeared upset and close to tears, reprimanded Kaiser, saying, "The more I've sat here and listened to the fact that somebody used the n-word on this show... It is not okay."

Way to completely deflect from him pointing out the actual racist who just received a prominent position in the White House.

Top Facebook comment:
It's ironic that she is mad at him for saying it on her show, when she should be mad at the people he quoted in the oval office. Sad time in history, folks.

Correction:
Apparently, it was soon to be AG Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III who said it. He simply got his White supremacist cabinet appointees confused.

So much purse-clutching.

He quoted a racist's words. I wish he'd have censored himself because that became the story instead of the racist who is running Trump's team.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What a crap OP. He was quoting someone else. You should have made that clear.

News reporting isn't always clean and nice.
If our president-elect's senior advisor says an awful quote, it should be reported on in full.

The news anchors on a major network should be experienced enough to deal with that situation more appropriately than the shock reaction they gave.

Maxim726X

Uhh.

He's quoting someone?

See, this is the shit that people can't stand. This is what people are referring to when they decry 'PC Culture'. We're not five, we've all heard the word before, and he was using it to illustrate what a shit show this pick is.

Raven117

Just about if not everyone that posts here on NeoGaf knows that the n-word is atrocious word.

However, for goodness sakes, the guy was "allegedly" quoting someone (don't know if it was a quote or not, but lets assume it is a direct quote), and was discussing how horrible it all was. Maybe there is an issue with it on life TV (like dropping the F-bomb or something).

Racisim, is a complex and adult topic that should not be "kiddie gloved." The topic should be approached with adult sensitivities and a respect for the subject matter.

Uhh.

He's quoting someone?

See, this is the shit that people can't stand. This is what people are referring to when they decry 'PC Culture'. We're not five, we've all heard the word before, and he was using it to illustrate what a shit show this pick is.
This.

docbon

He misattributed the quote to Bannon when it was Sessions who said it, but her tearing up over the word being said rather than the context was some fuckery.

qcf x2

She's one of their few good anchors. I don't want to hear anybody saying that word, but let's not get comfortable with white people saying it because they're quoting other people. People do it on Neogaf and all of a sudden instead of "n-word" in the topic title and replies, you have the word itself.

Now Ashley Banfield on the other hand, she publicly admonished a BLACK person who used the n-word, saying it offended HER. She's an idiot.

Capture3.jpg

She's one of their few good anchors. I don't want to hear anybody saying that word, but let's not get comfortable with white people saying it because they're quoting other people. People do it on Neogaf and all of a sudden instead of "n-word" in the topic title and replies, you have the word itself.

Now Ashley Banfield on the other hand, she publicly admonished a BLACK person who used the n-word, saying it offended HER. She's an idiot.

Context matter. And it should sting. It should be a word that make you feel uncomfortable.

I'll gladly say or type out the word when I'm referencing what the rhetoric of racists.

_Ryo_

Wut? Really. If they're quoting someone to point out the offensive it causes why should they not spell it out?

Foffy

Banned
Did Cornel West get in trouble for this on CNN a few years back? He called Obama the first "niggerized" President regarding race issues.

I don't think the host got upset.

glow

Banned
The way it just rolled off his tongue like that tho... probably one of the million dumb white guys who feels empowered to say it out loud in any situation because of that Louie CK bit. That and/or closet racist.

MIMIC

Banned
While it wasn't the worst thing ever, I was glad he was admonished. I saw it live (well, heard it....my back was to the TV) and my ears perked up.

I don't really care whether or not someone was being quoted. Hearing the word from a white man's mouth rubs me the wrong way.

The way it just rolled off his tongue like that tho... probably one of the million dumb white guys who feels empowered to say it out loud in any situation because of that Louie CK bit. That and/or closet racist.

Jesus I can't roll my eyes enough at this.

Maybe he was able to say it without pause, within the context of a quote, because he's a professional?

Oooor maybe he's actually super racist. Or something

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
While it wasn't the worst thing ever, I was glad he was admonished. I saw it live (well, heard it....my back was to the TV) and my ears perked up.

I don't really care whether or not someone was being quoted. Hearing the word from a white man's mouth rubs me the wrong way.

This is pathetic. If it's an intellectual conversation and quote, it's perfectly acceptable. You can be white, black, orange, green, doesn't matter.

I also think it's even more important that the person doesn't censor him or herself in this instance because the person he's quoting is someone in the damn White House. It needs to be very explicit that this is the type of cabinet we are getting. Fuck censorship.

Boney

Banned
31914460.jpg

Embarrasing. The word itself isn't something to be outraged about. The problem is when it's charged with hateful discriminatory remarks as the fucking press secretary for the new racist ass president uses it with and makes money from it

CNN and NBC are just as embarrasing and just as bad as Fox News in their race to the bottom.

derder

thatsthejoke.gif

This is pathetic. If it's an intellectual conversation and quote, it's perfectly acceptable. You can be white, black, orange, green, doesn't matter.
Why is it that we always make up people's colors when someone defends the n-word?

I'm fine with him saying it, since we need to make racist's behavior bare and honest to all, but "intellectual conversation" doesn't change anything about how people can respond to it.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it that we always make up people's colors when someone defends the n-word?

I'm fine with him saying it, since we need to make racist's behavior bare and honest to all, but "intellectual conversation" doesn't change anything about how people can respond to it.

I mentioned those colors because the person I quoted specifically has a problem with white people saying it, even in this context.

Boney

Banned
Did Cornel West get in trouble for this on CNN a few years back? He called Obama the first "niggerized" President regarding race issues.

I don't think the host got upset.
He called him a Rockefeller Republican in Black Face. A straight shooter and damn right despite his pretty speeches

I mentioned those colors because the person I quoted specifically has a problem with white people saying it, even in this context.
Green people don't exist.

I mean, a black person can have some thoughts about white people saying the word in any context. I don't know why you're throwing our purple people under the bus to debate that. I think the CNN host is being ridiculous, but I don't have the same perspective on the word as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom