• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Host Slammed A Guest For Using The N-Word On Her Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
This is pathetic. If it's an intellectual conversation and quote, it's perfectly acceptable. You can be white, black, orange, green, doesn't matter.

Maybe it's "perfectly acceptable" in some circles where the word is just casually thrown around with zero regard for what it means for some people. Otherwise, it is never, nor has it ever been "perfectly acceptable."

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Green people don't exist.

I mean, a black person can have some thoughts about white people saying the word in any context. I don't know why you're throwing our purple people under the bus to debate that.

...okay? What a way to take that shit so literally. I clearly meant that it doesn't matter what color you are in this context for the purpose of this discussion (on CNN quoting someone).

Maybe it's "perfectly acceptable" in some circles where the word is just casually thrown around with zero regard for what it means for some people. Otherwise, it is never, nor has it ever been "perfectly acceptable."

This is not being casually thrown around and enjoyed amongst friends in this instance. Have some perspective.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Condescending twit trying to feel selfrighteous and ease her white guilt.

I think quoting somebody in order to drive home the point how racist they are is a perfectly acceptable use of the word.

When you're quoting someone, you have to say it exactly how it was said. Otherwise people may think the person just said "N-word" which would make it seem like the originator censored his or herself.

Enzom21

I mentioned those colors because the person I quoted specifically has a problem with white people saying it, even in this context.
Well yeah. I don't think people should censor themselves when talking about white racism but it still feels weird when I hear a white person say on account of how many times I've been called a nigger by white people.
Some people don't want to hear it said by white people at all regardless of the context.
Are you black? Because if not, this is going to be really ironic.
Lol, yeah right.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought she was scolding him more for swearing than the context he was using the term in, TBH. Can't see any network being okay with uncensored use of that word.

bebop242

I just CAN'T with this world right now.

Its fully acceptable to use it in this way (no matter what color he is).

It's NOT fucking acceptable where the source of the quote came from.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Are you black? Because if not, this is going to be really ironic.

No I am not and it is still perfectly acceptable to quote someone saying it.

Are you implying that because I'm not I can't have the perspective of disapproving of hearing stereotypes or slurs about me? I can and I do but I find it perfectly fine when they're used in instances like this, i.e. having a discussion and quoting someone.

pa22word

Condescending twit trying to feel selfrighteous and ease her white guilt.

this + the white guilt of the audience

If people don't ever have to hear the word, especially as its used like it is in this context, they'll never have to deal with the reality of it. Head in the sand color blindness is one of the core principles of the white moderate voting group, and it's thinking like this that led to Trump being acceptable to a lot of people.

As a white person I have no right to say whether his use of the word was right or wrong. I don't think the news anchor has the right to either. But there was a black man in the video who was visually taken back by the comment, and I believe he thanked the host when she said to not say it? His is the only opinion of the three that matter to me in regards to this.

glow

Banned
Jesus I can't roll my eyes enough at this.

Maybe he was able to say it without pause, within the context of a quote, because he's a professional?

Oooor maybe he's actually super racist. Or something

He could've presented it much better. If you're going to say it, esp in front of millions of people, use just a little bit of tact. It came off way too casually. I'm nitpicking, but it's a very sensitive topic. Tread lightly or just say "n-word"

As others have already stated but can't be stated enough, CONTEXT MATTERS. Otherwise you're just being triggered by buzzwords regardless of how it's used.

Enzom21

Are you implying that because I'm not I can't have the perspective of disapproving of hearing stereotypes or slurs about me? I can and I do but I find it perfectly fine when they're used in instances like this, i.e. having a discussion and quoting someone.
Because you're not black and have never been called a nigger, you can't possibly understand why we wouldn't want to hear it from white people under any circumstance.

Alienous

I'd say it's the context of the word that makes it offensive, not the syllables, and the context of using the word while quoting someone doesn't seem problematic to me - no need to sugar-coat the ugliness of its use.

Today I Learned that "Sir, please don't say this word on my show" is being slammed by someone...

Like, she couldn't have been more polite about it. How exactly did she slam him?

Mega

Banned
She's one of their few good anchors. I don't want to hear anybody saying that word, but let's not get comfortable with white people saying it because they're quoting other people. People do it on Neogaf and all of a sudden instead of "n-word" in the topic title and replies, you have the word itself.

Now Ashley Banfield on the other hand, she publicly admonished a BLACK person who used the n-word, saying it offended HER. She's an idiot.

I can't agree with the first part of your statement. The "n word" is a strange substitute for reporting quoted statements although I don't hold it against anyone who prefers to use it if they feel uncomfortable saying the full word. On the other hand, a responsible professional should be allowed to say it in the context of conveying important information to an audience. The context is very important.

But that second part of your post, I agree. A white person scolding a POC on how to use language about their own race or ethnicity, being condescending and telling them that they can't, that's just dumb and narrow minded.

Looks like theres no consensus on this. I always thought it was generally ok if you were quoting someone like this but I can see why CNN wouldn't want the word used on their network.

TalonJH

This is one of those rare situations where I'm okay with it. I want people to hear the actual language used by racist so we can get past this be nice to racist phase.

He was showing how fucked up these people are and sugar coating it makes these people seem less insane. I would have never agreed to being okay with this if it wasn't for this election cycle.(That being said, it's okay to be offended. There is so much history behind that word that it's hard not to be.)

Focus.

bebop242

Because you're not black and have never been called a nigger, you can't possibly understand why we wouldn't want to hear it from white people under any circumstance.

You are upset at someone who is trying to help you. You are not upset at the person who actually said it.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

I'm Slavic and white and have been called slurs of that kind. My point stands that if I heard those same slurs used in this context I would deem it appropriate because it is quoting a White House pick.

And I'll reiterate that I think it's considerably more important to have it uncensored in this situation given who said it and the political climate.

D i Z

Loving all the shots at her here for "white guilt". Genuine disgust and shock doesn't even play anymore, does it? Let's also ignore the reaction and appreciation from the brother that was on the panel, and dismiss network and social standards while we're at it.
How much of the Kool- Aid have you all had this week?

if Bannondorf or SeSessions ever used the word, it is newsworthy to inform the public that they used the word in pejorative manor.

sweeping it under the rug just keeps to public ignorant of the facts

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The title is such bait bullshit on both sides.

He is quoting the piece of shit Trump wants in office. Why even try to hide it? Or pander it. This is what people elected.

But at the same time, she basically said just don't use it on my show. No different than telling someone to stop saying fuck or another bad word. It is her ass if they fine her show.

Enzom21

You are upset at someone who is trying to help you. You are not upset at the person who actually said it.
Who said I was upset? When did I write anything about not being upset about the racist he was quoting?
I'm Slavic and white and have been called slurs of that kind. My point stands that if I heard those same slurs used in this context I would deem it appropriate because it is quoting a White House pick.

And I'll reiterate that I think it's considerably more important to have it uncensored in this situation given who said it and the political climate.
You're still white and you know damn well it's different.

Cagey

Banned
As others have already stated but can't be stated enough, CONTEXT MATTERS. Otherwise you're just being triggered by buzzwords regardless of how it's used.

Seriously. And Louis CK's bit on the phrase "n-word" pops to mind.

Today I Learned that "Sir, please don't say this word on my show" is being slammed by someone...

Like, she couldn't have been more polite about it. How exactly did she slam him?

While nowhere near comparable to "fake news", this trend in headline writing has been damaging to people's absorption of news in its own right, and at times dovetails with fake news.

Deadspin OBLITERATES Current Headline Meme

MIMIC

Banned

So you have no actual perspective on the ugliness of the n-word then, other than you thinking it's comparable to the rest of the English language.

EDIT: And you can claim ownership of all of the slurs about YOU. "Proper usage" of the n-word isn't something that you get to decide for the rest of the world.

Ovid

I thought she was scolding him more for swearing than the context he was using the term in, TBH. Can't see any network being okay with uncensored use of that word.
That's how I viewed it.

Even when quoting someone, use of the n-word on television is like using profanity.

ramparter

Banned
Uhh.

He's quoting someone?

See, this is the shit that people can't stand. This is what people are referring to when they decry 'PC Culture'. We're not five, we've all heard the word before, and he was using it to illustrate what a shit show this pick is.
Yup. This is why I dont even like the term N-word. Why cant we say it as it is as long as we dont call that someone?

I'm black and have been called a nigger and I think it is perfectly ok to use when using it to quote someone to point out how racist as fuck this administration is that the US just elected. Her ire should be directed at the person hiring a white supremacist into the White House - not a journalist/academic quoting the word. But that doesn't pay the bills for CNN.

Yup. This is why I dont even like the term N-word. Why cant we say it as it is as long as we dont call that someone?

I've never liked the term N-word myself either, same with F-word, S-word, etc... because everybody knows exactly what you mean as if you said it, so you might as well just say it.

qcf x2

Context matter. And it should sting. It should be a word that make you feel uncomfortable.

I'll gladly say or type out the word when I'm referencing what the rhetoric of racists.

Wut? Really. If they're quoting someone to point out the offensive it causes why should they not spell it out?

Because it does nothing but perpetuate the use of the word. Just because somebody else said it doesn't mean you should say it. I'm pretty sure the guest on the show knew better than to suddenly go direct-quote on the word.

I think quoting somebody in order to drive home the point how racist they are is a perfectly acceptable use of the word.

And I (and the host, and the other guest on the show) disagree. Had he said "the n-word," the point would've still been made just as strongly and nobody would've been offended by the guest.

Of course Mr. "Have some perspective" isn't black. That's a shocker.

bebop242

I'm black and have been called a nigger and I think it is perfectly ok to use when using it to quote someone to point out how racist as fuck this administration is that the US just elected. Her ire should be directed at the person hiring a white supremacist into the White House - not a journalist/academic quoting the word. But that doesn't pay the bills for CNN.

Yes this is how I see it but apparently I'm wrong to think this because I'm white.

I understand the vugarity part of the argument. However this word has historical importance and it should be used in this way.

Because it does nothing but perpetuate the use of the word. Just because somebody else said it doesn't mean you should say it. I'm pretty sure the guest on the show knew better than to suddenly go direct-quote on the word.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom