• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Host Slammed A Guest For Using The N-Word On Her Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
As others have said, context matters. As a black man, I have to agree that that this is one of the very few, if not only, instances where I won't freak out over a white person saying that word. Never thought I'd say that, but here we are.

For him to say the N-word instead would sugarcoat the magnitude of just how disgusting this Sessions guy is. The way she reacted, and started to cry (Like really tho...) after it was all said and done, really rubbed me the wrong way, because the guy was just simply quoting someone that's about to be in Trump's administration. From my point of view, she clearly felt like she was doing the right thing or whatever, but in actuality she missed the point entirely. So yea, I agree that it was certainly a clutch-your-pearls moment, and distracting from the real issue at heart.

Now, that being said, I suppose he could've handled that a bit better. Like simply give them a brief warning before he actually says the word, because yea, if I was on that show with them, my ears would've immediately perked up as well. But due to the specific context, I'd be fine with it. Trying to say he's secretly a closet racist or w/e just because he's comfortable quoting someone else's racist language is utterly ridiculous. And then for her part, I wouldn't say she's not allowed to admonish him at all, because yes, hearing that word would shock people. But to act like she was hurt on our behalf when he didn't actually do anything wrong is just annoying. But yea, ultimately it is her show, so I can't fault her too much for not wanting certain language to be suddenly dropped like that.

But let's be real: The way he chose to do it was entirely more effective than any alternative I'm thinking of, and it probably got more people talking, so it is what it is. Don't really care if some people got a little uncomfortable, to be honest.

People don't say "n-word", they say the word nigger. To quote him but insert the euphemism blunts the effect, and if he DID say it, that ugliness deserves to be aired. The energy created by the visceral reaction to it should be directed against the original utterer, not the person reporting on what they said. What is outrageous here is that she is seemingly more offended by him saying it than by the fact that there is no concreteness to his rather damning allegation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom