• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Forecasts: Resident Evil 6 7m, DmC 2m, Dragon's Dogma 1.5m, LP3 1.4m shipped

Pooya

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2011/full/explanation_2011_full_01.pdf

ibqpJ7zusohV2n.JPG

Strategies for Growth
・Add more social games for mobile and PC platforms.
・Expand the lineup of home video game download contents (DLC).
・Launch online game business by geographical region.
・Beef up development staff.

■ Strategy 1: Enlarge games lineup
・Shorten the development-to-launch cycle for series titles.
・Launch brand new titles.

Strategies for Growth
■ Strategy 2: Strengthen the online games business,
which has much growth potential

・Boost download contents (DLC) sales
DLC sales: FY2011: ¥2.8 billion -> FY2012: ¥3.5 billion (plan)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh wow, DahBomb was right. They did set the bar at 2 million for DmC.

I think the numbers are a little high for all of them except RE6. I think Dragon's Dogma deserves to sell much more than it will. I wonder how much the demo will push sales. How many other games have pulled the big name early access demo thing? Ninja Gaiden 3 (arguably big), Bulletstorm, Zone of the Enders...

ezekial45

Banned
Oh wow, DahBomb was right. They did set the bar at 2 million for DmC.

I think the numbers are a little high for all of them except RE6. I think Dragon's Dogma deserves to sell much more than it will.

RE5 sold 5 million. It's definitely possible for it to reach that amount.

Bladenic

7m for RE6? They're confident. I mean RE5 was the highest selling one and was it just a bit above 5m? Though I suppose it's fair to expect further growth.

soultron

Banned
That is correct, yes.

Well, a download token for the RE6 demo, at least.

I think it will do really well for that reason first and foremost. I think most people Monster Hunter and Demon's/Dark Souls players are also looking forward to it too, if hype around the internet can be of any indication.

I still feel that 2mln WW is my prediction for DD.

ezekial45

Banned
DmC could reach that target in its lifetime. I guess that's where Tameems statement came from.

If they release a good demo, they get good press and reviews, and the final product turns out alright, then it'll definitely reach it. If they do like they release a PC version post launch like they did with DMC4, then I can see it going over.

I just hope this puts those '5 Million copies sold' nonsense to rest.

Dahbomb

Also they are sticking to the 2012 release date. I really doubt the game will come out in November out would have to be earlier than that.

ezekial45

Banned
lol@dino

they wanted to sell 5 million at first,this is the whole point of the reboot

No.
They.
Didn't.

They were making parallels to other action/adventures games that sold that amount and wanted to eventually see the series reach those sales. They never said they wanted DmC to sell 5 million.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Also they are sticking to the 2012 release date. I really doubt the game will come out in November out would have to be earlier than that.

If they're smart, they'd avoid a November release date like the plague, but Capcom has chosen really poor release schedules before. I wouldn't be surprised.

These are FY12 sales only, right? Not lifetime projections? Probably not a massive difference though.

I dunno about RE6. 7M would be pretty gangbusters from October-March. I like the confidence though!

sleepykyo

More realistic expectations for Dragon's Dogma. I feel like DmC is a bit tepid though?

ORC is probably going to hit 2 mil, and that game looks hideous and Slant Six probably doesn't have as many faithful as NT (too bad since Slant Six made the better Socom game this generation).

Dahbomb

Of course they want dmc to sell that much just like they want dd to sell 10 million. But want is different from expectation.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No.
They.
Didn't.

They were making parallels to other action/adventures games that sold that amount and wanted to eventually see the series reach those sales. They never said they wanted DmC to sell 5 million.

This was the big Play.TM quote that had everyone laughing (and rightfully so):
2.7 million games sold to consumers is nothing to sneeze at, yet it isn't enough for Capcom producer Motohide Eshiro. With Ninja Theory's upcoming reboot of the franchise, the Devil May Cry producer is hoping to cross the 5 million mark that other action games have set.

Now, I recall that people were saying that 5 million wasn't the actual goal, but do we have another interview clarifying their statement? I just wasn't sure.

ezekial45

Banned
This was the big Play.TM quote that had everyone laughing (and rightfully so):

Now, I recall that people were saying that 5 million wasn't the actual goal, but do we have another interview clarifying their statement? I just wasn't sure.

Yes, there was another interview where they clarified it. But I don't remember where that is.

Orayn

Those projections all seem pretty reasonable. Did they lower the goal for Dragon's Dogma? Also...

Might this imply a Western launch for Monster Hunter Frontier? A guy can dream...

Lost Planet 1 sold very well, almost 3 million in its lifetime. LP2, did only half that.

Hm. The first was definitely bolstered by its availability at/near launch. I wonder if we'll see any effective marketing for the third. Not really a game I'm interested in, but would like to see Capcom have some success.

Jigsaw

Banned
so they sold 2.7 million of dmc4 4 years ago with only a fraction of the install base we have today,and now they expect only 2 million?if they expect a loss of 700k fans just because of the backlash why didn't they cancel the game years ago

sleepykyo

so they sold 2.7 million of dmc4 4 years ago with only a fraction of the install base we have today,and now they expect only 2 million?if they expect a loss of 700k fans just because of the backlash why didn't they cancel the game years ago

Because NT is cheaper than 150 Japanese Capcom veterans?

Dahbomb

DmC being an outsourced game most likely had a smaller budget than dmc4. Its also part of the reason I expect it to come out sooner rather than later.

Strategies for Growth
・Add more social games for mobile and PC platforms.
・Expand the lineup of home video game download contents (DLC).
・Beef up development staff.

■ Strategy 1: Enlarge games lineup
・Shorten the development-to-launch cycle for series titles.
・Launch brand new titles.

Strategies for Growth
■ Strategy 2: Strengthen the online games business,
which has much growth potential

・Boost download contents (DLC) sales
DLC sales: FY2011: ¥2.8 billion -> FY2012: ¥3.5 billion (plan)

Whats the opinion on this(lesser I guess) figure? More on disc dlc shannigans to come?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Whats the opinion on this(lesser I guess) figure? More on disc dlc shannigans to come?

I imagine they have a LOT of DLC additions for every game, especially RE6. I think they're also anticipating that already announced, but not yet released stuff like the SFxT characters will generate a lot of income.

DR2K

Banned

Make half hassed games, sell less, ruin any good will left, and try to extort what you can to whomever will take it. In essense they're lossing billions of yen more by going this route, but foresight is an ability that so few have in this industry and it's especially lost on Capcom.

Top Bottom