• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Forecasts: Resident Evil 6 7m, DmC 2m, Dragon's Dogma 1.5m, LP3 1.4m shipped

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Capcom wanted 10 million for DD by year iirc.

It's nice to want things.
That's what Itsuno was hoping. It doesn't mean that's the official projection.

The 1.5 million projected shipment was known since last year.

capturedhcu.png

cvxfreak

RE5 sold 5.8 million excluding the Gold Edition re-release and the PC version; 7 million sounds attainable for RE6, although within this fiscal year is a tough sell.

Tiktaalik

Whoa realistic expectations from Capcom for once. I can see RE6 getting 7 million. It is coming out during the fall and the franchise has grown and grown.

mephixto

Banned
DmC 2 million, hmmm I think that game gonna bomb hard, the only people aware of the game are the ones that hate it.

Steaks

It feels really weird for them to condense development time of series when those games have been feeling super rushed already...

If Dragon's Dogma is a good game I think it can sell 1.5 mil.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Raccoon City could have done a lot of damage to the RE brand though. Same way FFXIII fucked XIII-2 over.

Not nearly enough people bought it relative to Resident Evil 4 and 5.

FFXIII on the other hand shipped a huge number of copies.

AAK

Out of curiosity does anyone know how much Bayonetta sold? (Just to compare it with the DmC forecast)

Verelios

I'm sorry, what?

DmC I can understand. Dragon's Dogma there's a chance with how they're pushing it. But Lost Planet 3!? The hell are you smoking Capcom!? Give me some of that, because have you not seen the phenom that is Lost Planet 2? No? Yeah, go back and review.

Dresden

I'm glad that they're pushing a more realistic figure with DD. Hopefully they see it as the start of a franchise instead of expecting it to sell Skyrim numbers.

Bebpo

Banned
How is DMC not done yet? Feels like the game has been in good playable form (for what it is) for a couple of years now. Seems odd that it would be a 2013 game. Ninja Theory does tend to take a while to make 6 hour games.

ezekial45

Banned
How is DMC not done yet? Feels like the game has been in good playable form (for what it is) for a couple of years now. Seems odd that it would be a 2013 game. Ninja Theory does tend to take a while to make 6 hour games.

They only started work on it a little more than 2 years ago. 2 1/2 to 3 year dev cycle sounds pretty normal to me.

Blunt

Banned
I'll take a punt and say that DD will sell more than projected due to RE6 demo and people coming off their Skyrim/Dead Souls high and wanting something new.

DmC will depends on whether batshit crazy fans bite or not. DD will outsell it.

LP3 ain't going to sell shit.

Anteater

I'm not into LP but I think it will sell well due to it being still called lost planet, and that it's a multiplayer (coop no less) game, like raccoon city, if they choose a right month to release it especially.

DD and DmC seem pretty realistic, I know RE6 will sell but not sure if that high.

They really need to adjust the DLC business plan, I know everyone wants to sell additional shit, but they should focus on boosting the software sales.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DmC 2 million, hmmm I think that game gonna bomb hard, the only people aware of the game are the ones that hate it.
DmC could very well pull an NG3. Although the DMC franchise has a more interesting story and universe, IMO. And reviewers beat up on DMC3 for being "too hard" for some reason. So that might work out in DmC's favor.

Endo Punk

I am 100% convinced that Capcom and Ninja Theory relationship has hit the rocks, not surprising since NT always bites the hand that feeds them. Seriously what was the point of DmC if they actually expect it to sell less than DMC4 now? Sigh, live and learn. Though with Capcpom I don't think it's possible. They will continue to outsource and continue to ruin top franchises.

I gotta ask have any of these outsourced games received better critical reception and sold more than the in-house titles?The Odds are so far stacked against titles like LP3 and DmC there really isn't any point of them existing.

Nah. Having fucking terrible main characters fucked XIII-2 over. Why I didn't buy it.

I think you got XIII-2 mixed up with XIII.

I really want Dragon's Dogma to do well. I wouldn't wanna live on this planet anymore if if got outdone by fucking Operation Raccoon City.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hm. The first was definitely bolstered by its availability at/near launch. I wonder if we'll see any effective marketing for the third. Not really a game I'm interested in, but would like to see Capcom have some success.

Nope. Capcom... marketing things that aren't Biohazard or Street Fighter? Hahahaohwow.jpg

Besides 6 which wont hit those numbers, the rest are going to bomb hard.

Pretty much.

I think it will do really well for that reason first and foremost. I think most people Monster Hunter and Demon's/Dark Souls players are also looking forward to it too, if hype around the internet can be of any indication.

Honestly, as a Dark/Demon's Soul player: speak for yourself. I always found it to be a crappy Capcom attempt on cashing in on From/Atlus' success with Demon's Souls and playing the demo just justified that feeling. It's competent, but not fun like those two. So I'm passing, myself. If it finds success, great, but I won't get it until it's cheap.

If Raccoon City can cross two million, true Resi should sell in the billions.

Yeah but:

Raccoon City could have done a lot of damage to the RE brand though. Same way FFXIII fucked XIII-2 over.

Let's not forget that Bio5 also put a gash on the face of the series. It was a decent/okay game and I had fun going through it, but it ruined characters and story (yes, some of us give a shit) and the forced co-op killed the series for some people (like me!) that bought into the series because we could go at our own pace and didn't require a second person because the AI is retarded and blows through ammo in minutes.

Not nearly enough people bought it relative to Resident Evil 4 and 5.

FFXIII on the other hand shipped a huge number of copies.

Ouch. But most people knew Slant Six sucks at developing shit. The bigger issue is "will Capcom treat their fans with respect and give them a respectable product?" Because ORC said "no" and Devil May Cry's reboot is in the air on that verdict.

Spiegel

Now we know why Monster Hunter 4 isn't planned for this fiscal year. They would have a massive sales drop next FY.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Dragon's Dogma do 1.5 million in Japan alone.

You think Dragon's Dogma is going to be the second best-selling PS360 game ever released by a considerable margin?

Like, right now, here's the top 5:
1. Final Fantasy XIII - 1.9 million
2. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 0.8 million
3. One Piece: Pirate Warriors - 0.8 million
4. Metal Gear Solid 4 - 0.7 million
5. Resident Evil 5 - 0.65 million

Kusagari

Are people seriously in here comparing FF13's situation to Raccoon City?

Situations aren't comparable in the slightest.

AHA-Lambda

Will capcom even make money from DD at 1.5m copies shipped? Isn't DD apparently their biggest dev undertaking ever (not sure if still the case with RE6 though)? How are they hoping to make any money on this?

sublimit

Banned
They all sound quite plausible.
Even the people who criticize DmC now,will run and buy it on day one when it comes out.

You think Dragon's Dogma is going to be the second best-selling PS360 game ever released by a considerable margin?

Like, right now, here's the top 5:
1. Final Fantasy XIII - 1.9 million
2. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 0.8 million
3. One Piece: Pirate Warriors - 0.8 million
4. Metal Gear Solid 4 - 0.7 million
5. Resident Evil 5 - 0.65 million

I think it has a decent chance, yes. Maybe not the 1.5, but over 800,000 copies doesn't seem unrealistic.

Feindflug

DmC could very well pull an NG3. Although the DMC franchise has a more interesting story and universe, IMO. And reviewers beat up on DMC3 for being "too hard" for some reason. So that might work out in DmC's favor.

Honestly as much as I don't like what I'm seeing from DmC I doubt it will be as bad as NG3...it will be funny I guess to see Ninja Theory making a better game than Team Ninja Dog.

Also about the reviewers I don't think that DmC being easier and more accessible will help the game if the core mechanics are shit, NG3 was a mindless button masher that anyone could play and look how that turned out...maybe making an easy, dumb and accessible game doesn't help as much as we think if the game is bad.

Top Bottom