• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Forecasts: Resident Evil 6 7m, DmC 2m, Dragon's Dogma 1.5m, LP3 1.4m shipped

gconsole

Honestly, as a Dark/Demon's Soul player: speak for yourself. I always found it to be a crappy Capcom attempt on cashing in on From/Atlus' success with Demon's Souls and playing the demo just justified that feeling. It's competent, but not fun like those two. So I'm passing, myself. If it finds success, great, but I won't get it until it's cheap.

DD project started 3 years ago. That's long before Dark Soul become a cult hit. And even if I say hit, it's just 1.5 million around the world. That's not the number Capcom ever want to put their 150 veterant staff onto the project. So no. If Capcom ever want to follow any similar existing franchise, it should be Skyrim not Dark Soul.

Also Capcom has Monster Hunter in their hand and the game sold 4-5 million alone in japan. If that's the userbase they want to pull in for DD.

Anteater

I'm not sure why people keep comparing DD to demon's souls outside of the network function, it's an rpg with some dmc inspired combat in an open world, with elements from other wrpgs redone in their own way.

Demon's souls was released in 2009 Feb in Japan and October in NA

DD was in development after DMC4 came out as far as I know, 3 and a half year in development, release date for dmc4 was 2008 February, unless I'm missing something, they can't possibly foresee the success of the souls series.

Dahbomb

I think DmC will easily hit 2 million.

Btw, why is 'm' not capitalized in 'DmC' now?
To differentiate it from the main DMC series. This is a parallel/alternate universe game, the events in this game have no relation to the main series.

Even the people who criticize DmC now,will run and buy it on day one when it comes out.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. They will play it in some way but I don't think people who legitimately hate the game will drop $60 on the game day 1.

In the end DmC's sales are more dependent on it's reviews and word of mouth (from the average gamer). There are enough people curious about the new direction to fuel it's sales but their curiosity only goes as far as the perceived quality of the game. If everyone is saying the game is bad they are less likely to buy it.

falconzss

I remember them throwing around some crazy number (10 million?!) for DD a few months back. Probably going to bite below 30€.

gogojira

A lot more reasonable than previous Capcom predictions. Dragon's Dogma seems to be getting good word-of-mouth and despite what many people here are saying, I actually think DmC looks good so I'll probably pick it up. LP3 looks trash though.

Cyntec

I think you (and many others) may just be surprised. It will easily hit that target.

Very recently I had to chance to get my hands on a small playable level. I really had doubts about this game, will Ninja Theory screw it up, shall I like Dante's new design etc. ... but damn, this game is going to be friggin awesome! I just hope Capcom are going to release a demo version and convince everybody like they did me.

Cyntec

This. DmC and LP3 are gonna tank I think. Well, maybe that's harsh, but they've got really ugly buzz atm.

LP3 is surprisingly good as well. Just wait for May 25th when the embargo lifts and previews pop up. Everyone I know was freaking out when he saw the game and had the chance to play it :)

Varth

LP3 is surprisingly good as well. Just wait for May 25th when the embargo lifts and previews pop up. Everyone I know was freaking out when he saw the game and had the chance to play it :)

Preview on what event? Something in San Mateo in the last few days, by any chance?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
They all sound quite plausible.
Even the people who criticize DmC now,will run and buy it on day one when it comes out.

I think you're really underestimating how much a lot of people vested in the DMC series dislike the new game. It's not like Mass Effect or Resident Evil, where they'll go in a different direction and people will still buy it. The key here is not DMC vets. The key question is, how many new people is DmC going to appeal to, because that's the target audience.

TreIII

I think you're really underestimating how much a lot of people vested in the DMC series dislike the new game. It's not like Mass Effect or Resident Evil, where they'll go in a different direction and people will still buy it. The key here is not DMC vets. The key question is, how many new people is DmC going to appeal to, because that's the target audience.

I do wonder how things are going to go down in Japan. You might get some curious players to buy in. However, the same fangirls who historically bought DMC games and merchandise simply because they loved their platinum-haired bishies have definitely NOT been happy with the new direction. And this is an example of the fan base that is as "casual, don't care about high-level play" as you can get! :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I do wonder how things are going to go down in Japan. You might get some curious players to buy in. However, the same fangirls who historically bought DMC games and merchandise simply because they loved their platinum-haired bishies have definitely NOT been happy with the new direction. And this is an example of the fan base that is as "casual, don't care about high-level play" as you can get! :lol

I'm sure that Japan has a fanbase for all things Western, but I can't imagine DmC selling that well in Japan. I'm not sure how much the Devil May Cry name can actually carry a title that seems almost universally at odds with the market.

In the West, you're looking at a casual audience that's completely different, though. The new visual design is grittier, and loaded with saturated colors, two things that has a lot of appeal to the pseudo-hardcore market, and as long as you have a sword and it's relatively responsive, those people won't mind.

I'm sorry but I personally feel DmC's release has already been delayed. I think capcom originally wanted it out about this time this year.

It will get eaten alive if it's released in November. I'd be shocked if we don't see it before septembers end.

2013 is a pipe dream.

As for it's shipped numbers, yeah if they grossly overship it. 1 million would be more reasonable, with it selling about 700k.

mandas

Neo Member
It has been said over and over by NT that 2012 is the year. I don't think it will be delayed to 2013. It might sell that in its lifetime of Wal Mart bargin bin price drops.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ninja Gaiden 3 has a sword and is relatively responsive, and that sold like shit.

It wasn't though. It was filled with uncontrollable lock-on issues, and innumerable quick time events DURING fights. Also, Ninja Gaiden III was reviewed horribly. For whatever reason, Ninja Theory is a critical darling, and DmC is going to review extremely well (even if just to slight the DMC fanbase. Game "journalists" love to slight long-time fans of any series)

Derrick01

Banned
I'll be getting DD (a game that probably should sell 10 million, instead of something as casual as Skyrim) and maybe RE6. I still need to find out how bad the forced co-op is, if it's like RE5 where I'm stuck with an annoying AI partner the entire time I may just rent it again.

Curufinwe

It wasn't though. It was filled with uncontrollable lock-on issues, and innumerable quick time events DURING fights. Also, Ninja Gaiden III was reviewed horribly. For whatever reason, Ninja Theory is a critical darling, and DmC is going to review extremely well (even if just to slight the DMC fanbase. Game "journalists" love to slight long-time fans of any series)

I agree that most gaming journalists overrate Ninja Theory games, but that was only enough to have their last two games averaging 80 on MetaCritic.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DmC will hit that 2million shipped easily. They'll probably ship 3/4 of it opening week due to how well DMC4 did(Some 2.7million sold). Shipped numbers this gen really don't seem to mean as much with how it works. Massive starting shipments than bomba in a month.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I agree that most gaming journalists overrate Ninja Theory games, but that was only enough to have their last two games averaging 80 on MetaCritic.

After the PR shitstorm that was DmC's reveal trailer, game journalists have been defending the game non-stop, even before we saw any real gameplay footage. They refuse to ask difficult questions in interviews, and preface their discussions by finger pointing at the fanbase. The fact that hardcore fans hate the new direction means that video game media outlets are going to pad their numbers even more to try and compensate- mark my words.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
None except DD will meet those numbers, all of those games will underwhelm and word of mouth will kill the long term sales.

DmC will hit that 2million shipped easily. They'll probably ship 3/4 of it opening week due to how well DMC4 did(Some 2.7million sold). Shipped numbers this gen really don't seem to mean as much with how it works. Massive starting shipments than bomba in a month.
This practice has been slowly but surely catching up with Capcom. Retailer confidence seems to slip a little more with each release.

Cyntec

After the PR shitstorm that was DmC's reveal trailer, game journalists have been defending the game non-stop, even before we saw any real gameplay footage. They refuse to ask difficult questions in interviews, and preface their discussions by finger pointing at the fanbase. The fact that hardcore fans hate the new direction means that video game media outlets are going to pad their numbers even more to try and compensate- mark my words.

the main problem is that fans are complaining about the game altough they haven't seen almost anything. I just can repeat myself, I really hope Capcom will release a demo so everybody has a chance to judge for their own.

the main problem is that fans are complaining about the game altough they haven't seen almost anything. I just can repeat myself, I really hope Capcom will release a demo so everybody has a chance to judge for their own.

A demo for DmC is like a poisoned fruit. it very well may boost sales in the short term, but once people start picking apart its flaws, it will kill long term sales.

by the way, I'm assuming your under NDA, but I'll say this Anyway. if what your talking about is the vergil backstory and the level leading up to the bug boss, that isn't going to convince anyone.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I've been following pretty intensely since Day 1 announcement, and you're probably right. We've seen next to nothing because they keep showing us the same level, enemies, and weapons over and over again, but whose fault is that? Hardcore DMC fans are skeptical because the staged moving environments really aren't impressive to them, and no one with any actual experience with higher level DMC combat has been able to write up a proper assessment of the game in preview form.

The majority of previews are vague, and the previewers seem to only have a superficial understanding of what made DMC's combat special. Anyway, especially after the Mass Effect 3 fiasco, I've learned to not put much weight into game journalists' opinions.

Dahbomb

This "preview" on DmC basically says it all.

http://www.1up.com/previews/dmc-preview-captivate-capcom

I like the final paragraph which begins with "Of course, I don't have the perspective of a long-time Devil May Cry on all of this..." Maybe... just MAYBE if he had some perspective he wouldn't ask questions like "what's so terrible about this game?".

Can't wait for that day.

.la1n

I said a few things when official images were released, I had zero hands on time with the game but anyone doubting the graphics will be pleasantly surprised, one of the better looking UE3 third party games. The game itself looked fun but like I said without being able to play it myself I can't comment.

edit: As for DmC, I think a demo would be a great idea. I don't think the majority of 'hardcore' DMC fans are going to purchase at full price (and rightfully so) but as I said earlier, I am confident it will meet it's sales expectations.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Me either. If even the darling Bayonetta wasn't immune from critique when her demo arrived on the scene, I can only imagine what would happen once DmC's finally (if ever) drops.

Eh, you've gotta look at this from a difference perspective. With a studio like Platinum and with Hideki Kamiya at the helm, expectations were at an all time high with Bayonetta. Expectations are really really low for Ninja Theory, which works in their favor when it comes to critique time.

Dahbomb

It would be really ballsy of NT to release a demo for the game more than a week before the launch. I would respect it but it would still be risky for them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Well at least we know theres a new Onimusha in the works.

Dahbomb

The best thing going for DmC right now is that most previews and impressions claim that the game has responsive controls. If the demo is released and people realize it doesn't have responsive controls (or within the same range as a standard DMC game) shit will hit the fan.

TreIII

Eh, you've gotta look at this from a difference perspective. With a studio like Platinum and with Hideki Kamiya at the helm, expectations were at an all time high with Bayonetta. Expectations are really really low for Ninja Theory, which works in their favor when it comes to critique time.

I don't see it that way. Expectations are high, because of the brand name on the table. Ninja Gaiden 3 should showcase that even Hayashi and his "Team Ninja Dog" don't get a pass, even if expectations were lowered in a number of cases. Why else would me and a few of the DOA denizens who've actually played the DOA5 alpha demo have such a time convincing people that the demo is actually quite good, even if NG3 left a lot to be desired? It doesn't take much for people to think that a franchise/legacy is "ruined forever", unless proven to the contrary.

"Capcpom to beef up DLC sales" is not an idea I like. What Capcpom has done thus far is rip out substantial content (12 characters in SFxT, the *ending* in Asura's Wrath) and then in SFxT's case add in an entire system catered to paying to win (DLC Gems in SFxT).

With SFxT, disk locked content was just one of about seventeen thousand things Capcom buggered up with that game. DLC for that game will sell horribly - nobody wants an extra twelve fighters in a (very) crappy fighting game. What they want is overpowered gems so they can troll online. Capcpom's facilitating that, at least.

As a rule I now refuse to buy any Capcpom game until the DLC plans have been announced.

Endo Punk

Yeah ever since the awful just awful reveal trailer of DmC the critics have been really sucking up to NT like helping a wounded dog. And the interviews?

Ass licker: How awesome is your awesome game?
Tam Tam: So awesome.
Ass licker: Would you say this awesome game which is so awesome is, too awesome?
Tam Tam: Too awesome.
Ass licker: DMC fans butt hurt.

"Capcpom to beef up DLC sales" is not an idea I like. What Capcpom has done thus far is rip out substantial content (12 characters in SFxT, the *ending* in Asura's Wrath) and then in SFxT's case add in an entire system catered to paying to win (DLC Gems in SFxT).

With SFxT, disk locked content was just one of about seventeen thousand things Capcom buggered up with that game. DLC for that game will sell horribly - nobody wants an extra twelve fighters in a (very) crappy fighting game. What they want is overpowered gems so they can troll online. Capcpom's facilitating that, at least.

As a rule I now refuse to buy any Capcpom game until the DLC plans have been announced.

The DLC will sell bad because of the Sony's exclusivity. People would've still bought the 12 character DLC in droves, even locked, if it wasn't for Sony having exclusivity until Fall. By then, other than the dedicated, most will have moved on.

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds very doable. I know they are releasing the two games I want more than any this year in Dragon's Dogma and RE6. Say what you will about Capcom and some of their shoddy DLC practices and outsourcing, but they still very much have that mojo when it comes to putting out badass games that are made by their in-house dev teams. At least from my perspective they do anyway.

Sectus

The projected sales of those 4 games combined are 11.9 million. Their total projected sales for 2012 is 20 million.

I wonder if there's yet to be announced titles for this year which is expected to do really well. Or if they have a ton of other games which adds up to that (like the various HD collections they're releasing this year, or misc releases like SFxT on PC).

Top Bottom