• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Vecks

getting a horrible string of LQs that I keep dropping midway because i cba to wait to finish them

example, is it me or there is only 1 treasure room in lower asgard, when the quest asks for 2?

That's one I have trouble with as well. I've seen two different treasure rooms, but they could be on two different layouts. So I usually just head straight for the treasure room, do other stuff, and come back when the treasure chest respawns, which might be about 10 minutes.

That's one I have trouble with as well. I've seen two different treasure rooms, but they could be on two different layouts. So I usually just head straight for the treasure room, do other stuff, and come back when the treasure chest respawns, which might be about 10 minutes.

Switch difficulties back and forth. That will reset the one treasure room.

I re roll so many bad LQs. The ones in most story areas that have me looking for elites, the ones that make me break 100 of three different things and the 6 supervillains one. That one guarantees an hour of mega sentinel spawns in midtown.

I am not whole convinced I am in the bottom wrung of drop rates for the game. Inky, I've been running terminals for shards since July/August and have only ever gotten 2 costumes out of the resulting mark 1s. Hell, I've only ever gotten 5 costumes in this game that I didn't pay cash for and 3 of them were from before splinters were introduced. Am I an enemy of the RNG, am I on a shit list in a database, or do ya all think I have to just pray harder?

For a bit of positivity, I love the LQs where I have to kill elites and champions, moods & lava men, and 6 sentinels. Those are my favorites. And terminal LQs. Those are easy because there is little searching for the objectives and no reliance on timer spawned events. Except Doom terminals. Too long.

Anyone know how much longer the advance pack will be available? I really want it but am really poor at the moment. I have a birthday in 5 weeks and I hope it will stick around til then or someone can get this for me before it goes away.

inky

I am not whole convinced I am in the bottom wrung of drop rates for the game. Inky, I've been running terminals for shards since July/August and have only ever gotten 2 costumes out of the resulting mark 1s. Hell, I've only ever gotten 5 costumes in this game that I didn't pay cash for and 3 of them were from before splinters were introduced. Am I an enemy of the RNG, am I on a shit list in a database, or do ya all think I have to just pray harder?.

I just think their numbers are really, really stacked against us. Especially after the ES thing. More-so than any other loot game I've ever played.

Their SIF potions, for example, are tuned in a way that you'd only realistically notice the effect if you were documenting your experience over thousands of drops, and I do really mean thousands (something like 10K+ according to what they've said) which make them mostly useless, especially when they last for so little. Fortune Cards are even worse, because not only are they weighted by rarity, each item in a rarity tier is weighted too. Costumes have anything from a 1/100-1/150 chance for example, which for something that is valued at $1 is incredibly poor in my opinion. 1/30 should do it. If their FC packs had a 1 costume and 1 pet guarantee I wouldn't bat an eye at them.

That doesn't mean you couldn't have great luck with them, it's bound to happen to some (I've been playing this game for way too long now to expect anything else really, and I haven't seen them as regular drops yet), but in general it's just that the numbers are not realistic enough, and I bet you could go on a thousand hours spell of playing and opening Fortune Cards without getting anything.

Profitability vs. time spent playing vs. enjoyment is a tough thing to balance for sure, so one can take it like they are erring on the safe side with business in mind first. At some point you just have to play as if those costume drops never existed in the first place, and just act surprised when they finally happen. It's certainly something that would be frustrating if you were playing with them in mind all the time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cool Crashdown Strike is much better with all the points in it (well all the points you can put at lvl 47 when you get it) as opoosed to just a rank 2 or 3 from the gear, actually 1 shots normal mobs now as a "death from above" type move should

not sure what to do, barrel on with ms marvel to 60 (she is now 48) or mix it up a bit. I miss Hulk who I left at 30 (if he was a 52 review char I would have continued), I still have SG at 52 and I miss playing her, and I keep thinking I should resume Rocket like I did with Cyclops (rocket was my other high lvl character back from release, hes 44)

and next week Nightcrawler and Hawkeye come out (I own Hawkeye but hes lvl 1 never touched him so with the review its almost as if he was coming out now for me)...and of course all the other characterss argh! the options! To be fair most of them ill wait until the review, Hulk and Jean were really the only two I was itching to play right now (and I havent touched Jean), think ill stick with just 52 review chars, they seem a lot more fleshed out to be honest

At some point you just have to play as if those costume drops never existed in the first place, and just act surprised when they finally happen. It's certainly something that would be frustrating if you were playing with them in mind all the time.

heh thats exactly how I see it. The only thing I expect is the splinters, anything else Im shocked when it pops (like mkI cards, which im getting alot lately, but its always rarity boosts out of them so meh) or even retcons. Ive only seen 1 costume drop, and that was back on release, the black captain america costume (and I dont even have cap).

Profitability vs. time spent playing vs. enjoyment is a tough thing to balance for sure, so one can take it like they are erring on the safe side with business in mind first. At some point you just have to play as if those costume drops never existed in the first place, and just act surprised when they finally happen. It's certainly something that would be frustrating if you were playing with them in mind all the time.

I agree. I play as if they don't exist, but I always am prepared for the excitement that a costume drop will finally bring... But it's been 7 months without one. And I'm fairly sure I've been playing as much as any of the rest of you junkies. Too much, maybe.

I enjoy the game. I think it's well made and well supported. That's why I've put some money down on it since release. I'll never buy anything other than a character or costume, though. FCs and boosts are a massive waste of money. Speaking of FCs, do marks 2-4 even drop, or just mark 1s? I saw a mark 2 once when they first came out but have seen nothing but 1s since. I had assumed they were removed from the loot tables.

To add to the hero synergy system, I'm at 97% xp boost right now, which is fantastic. You can get a new character to 30 in a few hours. It also helps to make the 50s not as much of a slog, too. I use potions and bars for the 50s exclusively and with the synergy bonus, they go by relatively quickly.

I've got Squirrel Girl, Iron Man, Deadpool and Ms. Marvel at 60 now with Loki closing in on his second prestige. Playing Loki with Teleport+Bouncing Bolt spec has been fantastic and actually made me want to acquire every hero that has a bouncing damage spell. I think I'll be splintering Cyclops next.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I agree. I play as if they don't exist, but I always am prepared for the excitement that a costume drop will finally bring... But it's been 7 months without one. And I'm fairly sure I've been playing as much as any of the rest of you junkies. Too much, maybe.

I enjoy the game. I think it's well made and well supported. That's why I've put some money down on it since release. I'll never buy anything other than a character or costume, though. FCs and boosts are a massive waste of money. Speaking of FCs, do marks 2-4 even drop, or just mark 1s? I saw a mark 2 once when they first came out but have seen nothing but 1s since. I had assumed they were removed from the loot tables.

To add to the hero synergy system, I'm at 97% xp boost right now, which is fantastic. You can get a new character to 30 in a few hours. It also helps to make the 50s not as much of a slog, too. I use potions and bars for the 50s exclusively and with the synergy bonus, they go by relatively quickly.

I've got Squirrel Girl, Iron Man, Deadpool and Ms. Marvel at 60 now with Loki closing in on his second prestige. Playing Loki with Teleport+Bouncing Bolt spec has been fantastic and actually made me want to acquire every hero that has a bouncing damage spell. I think I'll be splintering Cyclops next.

Cyclops bouncing laser is amazing, looks amazing, and sounds amazing when it bounces. Its the only character where I use the basic attack more than the special moves most of the time

inky

Yeah, it does burn a little after this long. After playing for all this time and supporting them (buying expensive packs no less) you start to think they don't want you to get a few extra costumes as drops, even though they totally tout them as something you should be able to get. It feels a bit shitty to me personally, but that is how it is and thankfully at least the rest of the game is enjoyable enough.

Only Mark Is drop and can be got with cube shards. The rest are cash only.

Vecks

I believe they gave mark 1, 2 and 3 for those who contributed points to the asgard event based on tiers. So that might be where you got that mark 2. If you're certain you actually got it as a drop, then maybe it was a glitch. And you got lucky.

Moondrop

Banned
Played Nightcrawler on the test server- amazing. Simply teleporting around the screen is so satisfying.

Many great AoE powers, but the overall balance is far from settled. The coolest looking and feeling powers are in the teleport tree. However the most damaging AoE attack by a wide margin is in the stealth tree.

Which raises the question of the suitability of Nightcrawler as a stealth character. Yes, I know it's a canon power. But the application of stealth -> bonus damage on certain powers -> rinse and repeat doesn't feel right for Nightcrawler. The Shadowmeld skill by itself is pretty cool.

If his powers stay in their current form, then similar to my non-Phoenix Jean I will build Nightcrawler for canon flavor rather than optimal performance.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say, super enjoying Colossus. Most fun pure melee character in the game for me, haven't played Cage yet though. I love the Wolverine summon, he tears shit up. Gearing for summon duration (Sinister medallion, regular & eventually Advanced Wundagore) so he, and Magik in a few levels, can stay out for most of the time. I don't feel like I'm sacrificing a ton of DPS by doing so, but I imagine it's not the best DPS build at endgame, but idgaf. It's fun. Love his signature too, it's basically this which makes me all nostalgic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLq9OgX1mI4

hitmon

Cyclops bouncing laser is amazing, looks amazing, and sounds amazing when it bounces. Its the only character where I use the basic attack more than the special moves most of the time

I agree about Cyclops, that basic is so good. It's pretty much all I use.

Rhaknar

I forget, are either death gambit and fear itself wolverine enhanced costumes? I hate gambits voice in the game, hoping he sounds better as death if it's enhanced

Speaking of fear itself, was reading a synopsis of it and I see Thing was transformed into a bad guy, which explains the costume, but wolverine wasn't, so what's up with the spiky look. Also, have they said if a Hulk fear itself costume is coming (and probably a Juggernaut one eventually)?

Lord Phol

I forget, are either death gambit and fear itself wolverine enhanced costumes? I hate gambits voice in the game, hoping he sounds better as death if it's enhanced

Speaking of fear itself, was reading a synopsis of it and I see Thing was transformed into a bad guy, which explains the costume, but wolverine wasn't, so what's up with the spiky look. Also, have they said if a Hulk fear itself costume is coming (and probably a Juggernaut one eventually)?

Basically the good guys got Uru enchanted-armor and weapons to battle the evil guys and their magical hammers.

I think if you expect costumes to drop constantly you are gonna get dissapointed. They are pretty much like the super rare drops you see in other mmos perhaps once per lifetime.
I've been lucky and had two drops since the ES-patch. Personally I have no qualms about it, almost everything in the store can be found in the game, costumes being the exception. Since they are only cosmetic and the game is free to play I find it fair enough.

Rhaknar

Speaking of costumes, the founders pack back on release had every costume in the game (for vanilla characters at least) correct? If I knew then that I would be so into the game now (and would have almost the entire roster anyway) I would have bought it easily.

To be fair tho, I'm much more into MH now than I was at release (still played over 100 hours back then but still) so, hindsight and all

At least the advance pack comes with 2 costumes for each character, so I'll have some costumes on those

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Quite frankly, it needs to be nerfed hard. It's completely out of whack for a free basic power.

Yeah kind of agree, but you know everyone's gonna throw a hissy fit. Maybe once he gets his 52 rework and they give him more good powers than he currently has, they'll bring bouncies down a tad.

Speaking of costumes, threw a couple excess ones in the blender and got a Black Panther costume. Don't own him and he's at the very bottom of my list. Will probably get blended once more.

I hate Gambit's voice too. Mostly his lines. I find him more obnoxious than Spiderman and Deadpool combined and that's really saying something.

Lord Phol

I'm really pumped up about playing captain now after his rework. Always liked Steve Rogers but never enjoyed playing him in video games, until now. It's crazy what those reworks do for certain heroes.

inky

Hmm, I just don't find Deadpool fun to play. Granted, I have him at about lvl 16 only but still. Does he get better at like 30? I've seen some of him at 60 and he looks better... kinda. What am I doing wrong?

KePoW

Banned
Hmm, I just don't find Deadpool fun to play. Granted, I have him at about lvl 16 only but still. Does he get better at like 30? I've seen some of him at 60 and he looks better... kinda. What am I doing wrong?

Not sure what you're doing wrong, but I find Deadpool very fun. I'm at work so don't know the exact power names right now, but I mainly use:

Melee Basic
Caltrops
Shoot All The Bullets
Awesome Lunge for dmg buff

Obviously max the Healing Factor too. Then some random points in other less important powers.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've taken to afk farming splinters in Ruined Projects. I don't even feel bad about it because I know I'm going to be repaid for all my "effort" with a new Hawkeye token.

inky

Not sure what you're doing wrong, but I find Deadpool very fun.

I use melee basic and Caltrops too. I'm also using Slice and Dice, and Stun Grenade and lil Deadpool from an item. I have one of the gun basics as a right click but it doesn't do that much damage, so I mostly use melee + AoE combination. Obviously his healing factor is maxed and I'm debating on picking Power Ups soon.

I just thought that his melee+gunplay would feel more versatile, but it feels a bit static for me right now. I will keep at it at least to 35ish to see if it improves.

Lord Phol

I use melee basic and Caltrops too. I'm also using Slice and Dice, and Stun Grenade and lil Deadpool from an item. I have one of the gun basics as a right click but it doesn't do that much damage, so I mostly use melee + AoE combination. Obviously his healing factor is maxed and I'm debating on picking Power Ups soon.

I just thought that his melee+gunplay would feel more versatile, but it feels a bit static for me right now. I will keep at it at least to 35ish to see if it improves.

I tried him out on the TC and he felt pretty static to me too, definelty not my cup of tea.

KePoW

Banned

Yeah you should always try every hero to at least 30.

And DP is not my most fun hero or anything, but I would at least place him in the top half of fun (I have every hero in the game now to 30+ except Loki)

Rhaknar

love Taskmaster medallion for my Ms.Marvel, because im speccing her only semi-tanky the range of buffs it gives for both tank and dps is great for her (for my spec that is). I wanna get a cosmic version

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
love Taskmaster medallion for my Ms.Marvel, because im speccing her only semi-tanky the range of buffs it gives for both tank and dps is great for her (for my spec that is). I wanna get a cosmic version

Personally I'd recommend against it. None of its values are high enough to really amount to anything, except maybe the projectile deflection but truth be told MsM really doesn't need it. You can gear her 100% offensively and still not sweat it.

I mean, do what you want! Obviously! But imo it's one of the worst medallions, despite the fact that it has a little bit of everything.

From the updated TC notes:
Chaos Warp's description has been corrected, the power does not give a damage shield. This will result in reduced damage per second, but players can now use it much more frequently before running out of spirit.

Reduced Scarlet Witch's Chaos Warp power's spirit cost to 35 (from 75)

Enjoy it while you can folks.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
From the updated TC notes:

Enjoy it while you can folks.

It was gonna happen. Best power in the game. Still, allow me a hearty FUUUUUUUCK. But I don't get the rationale behind "we're getting rid of the damage shield part, so we're reducing the DPS too." At least keep the damage shield, otherwise we're sitting ducks.

KePoW

Banned
It was gonna happen. Best power in the game. Still, allow me a hearty FUUUUUUUCK. But I don't get the rationale behind "we're getting rid of the damage shield part, so we're reducing the DPS too." At least keep the damage shield, otherwise we're sitting ducks.

I don't understand that reasoning either, doesn't make sense lol.

Having said that, the DPS on that power absolutely needed to be nerfed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Speaking of costumes, the founders pack back on release had every costume in the game (for vanilla characters at least) correct? If I knew then that I would be so into the game now (and would have almost the entire roster anyway) I would have bought it easily.

uggghhhh.. you and me both. this is the big argument made for keeping those costumes sacred/unavailable. the founders were taking a huge gamble. Not only on the "what could happen" but frankly on the state the game was in immediately prior to launch (i.e. ....... not good......)

in that regard... I mean they did shell out $200 for a game pre-splinters, pre-combat fix, pre-itemization fix, etc. and it's not like these things were even in the pipeline. They were paying $200 for a game that at the time was basically a poor Diablo 2 clone with a cash grab monetization scheme behind it.

the other side of the coin is that had I been a UP founder, and the game not had the turn around it did.... I probably wouldn't be happy in the slightest.

It's going to lose damage and the shield that gives.

witch is my "main". I actually posted to the TC forum worrying that CW builds would essentially become mandatory, where they are already incredibly dominant. After discussion I actually think the change is good. A much better trade off now between DPS (still double the DPS of a good RB/CH build and almost triple the DPS of just RB) and mobility.

CW today is essentially your best option for both AOE and single target (i.e. boss).

also it never gave a shield. was a description error.

Rhaknar

so, you know how sometimes you get splinters from mobs you didnt kill, just from being near I assume. Do those splinters eventually disapear or do they stay there until you log off?

That zone in chapter 3 or 4 whatever it is, with the infinite spawning mobs near a waypoint, couldnt you just stand there and splinters would rain every 8 minutes? if they didnt disapear I might leave my computer on all night while im at work lol. Unless you get disconected after awhile of being afk, or the splinters disapear of course

edit: just got my crafter to 20, no idea who to donate now :(

also it never gave a shield. was a description error.

You sure about that? They definitely added a shield to it a long while back and the shield even had a visual too. Not to mention I was noticing myself surviving things like ground aoe and certain attacks much better while channeling the CW (I'm not 100% on this but it certainly felt like it).

On a side note for SW, her cloak unique now has crit rating on it making it much more desirable.

borghe

You sure about that? They definitely added a shield to it a long while back and the shield even had a visual too. Not to mention I was noticing myself surviving things like ground aoe and certain attacks much better while channeling the CW (I'm not 100% on this but it certainly felt like it).

On a side note for SW, her cloak unique now has crit rating on it making it much more desirable.

no I'm not :p but the patch note says it was a description error. so if it was a nerf, it was a stealth nerf prior to this.

no I'm not :p but the patch note says it was a description error. so if it was a nerf, it was a stealth nerf prior to this.

Ryolnir is just a middleman when writing these patch notes, so there's definitely room for errors like these.

Comparing Chaos Warp's damage on live to test, the nerf looks to be about 23% in my gear. It's still strong enough that unless you really like Chaotic Hex, Warp is a better point investment as a nuke even for bosses simply because of the aoe. Same reason IM players took Pulse Bolt over Repulsor Barrage before.

borghe

Comparing Chaos Warp's damage on live to test, the nerf looks to be about 23% in my gear. It's still strong enough that unless you really like Chaotic Hex, Warp is a better point investment as a nuke even for bosses simply because of the aoe. Same reason IM players took Pulse Bolt over Repulsor Barrage before.

CH never gave me a problem being pseudo-AOE. i.e. hold the hot key down and drag the mouse over where you want to "aim" it.

also many are saying there WAS a damage soak on CW before. so less power (even if still more than CH) and more incoming damage while standing still. seems like a fair-er trade off. Not saying you're wrong, but prior to this change it really felt much more like you're saying.. if you didn't choose CW, you were basically crazy. now it can be about preference, you are competitive in DPS, and have mobility.

of course that 99% of the builds already are CW builds means more people will be nerfed than not. always the ugly side to changes like these :\ nerfs suck but from a dev point of view, so do ability trees where there's 1 right way and the rest are wrong ways.

Rhaknar

hmmm clearly Marvelbase talent calculator is lying to me on how many points I have at 60. just noticed I wont have enough points to do the spec I wanted (im 55, so ill get 10 more until 60, and 2 more from the story chapters I have left, so 12, when I actually need 15 in game.

http://www.marvelbase.com/builds/generator/ms-marvel#vq2qvGv22K22vKv2vvK/0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

thats what marvelbase says I can do, but in game I cant have 20 in 6 talents, plus 10 in 1 and then 4 1-point wonders

Vecks

so, you know how sometimes you get splinters from mobs you didnt kill, just from being near I assume. Do those splinters eventually disapear or do they stay there until you log off?

That zone in chapter 3 or 4 whatever it is, with the infinite spawning mobs near a waypoint, couldnt you just stand there and splinters would rain every 8 minutes? if they didnt disapear I might leave my computer on all night while im at work lol. Unless you get disconected after awhile of being afk, or the splinters disapear of course

edit: just got my crafter to 20, no idea who to donate now :(

splinters disappear after a few minutes.

Rhaknar

splinters disappear after a few minutes.

yup just tested it while watching something on tv. oh well

so I did some base and Marvel base is deffinately wrong. they say you get 133 points to spend at level 60, but:

59X2 (since you dont get points from level 1 and you cant take them out of the initial spells) = 118
4 points per story run X 3 difficulty settings = 12

so you get 130 points overall not 133 like they say, which is whats fucking with my spec I guess

Wallach

hmmm clearly Marvelbase talent calculator is lying to me on how many points I have at 60. just noticed I wont have enough points to do the spec I wanted (im 55, so ill get 10 more until 60, and 2 more from the story chapters I have left, so 12, when I actually need 15 in game.

http://www.marvelbase.com/builds/generator/ms-marvel#vq2qvGv22K22vKv2vvK/0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

thats what marvelbase says I can do, but in game I cant have 20 in 6 talents, plus 10 in 1 and then 4 1-point wonders

There are currently 130 possible power points. I don't know why Marvelbase allows 133.

Rhaknar

There are currently 130 possible power points. I don't know why Marvelbase allows 133.

indeed just did the math...son of a bitch. oh well, got plenty of retcons anyway

I guess I can get around the 1 point wonders if I get them from uniques, I should check that

inky

Asgardian enchanter? What the balls. What all does this person do?

The Uru-Crafted gear I think. Basically another gear slot that you will enhance with runes.

Wait, is the patch tomorrow? That would be great. Cosmic terminals are a bit underwhelming atm tho.

You get 4 power points per difficulty. They added the 4th to chapter 9.

2-1 you get it from defeating The Hood.
4-2 you get from defeating Bullseye.
7-4 you get from the station ventilation system.
9-1 you get from talking to Heimdall.

I think they count the three you can't move.

Rhaknar

Why you trying to exploit?!?

was just a thought for when I wasnt home is all. instead of idling for cards like I do right now I would idle for splinters. not like I need to do it, I already bought almost the entire roster and the advance pack anyway.

hmm starting to think Energy Absorbtion might be a 1 point wonder, you still get the 25% dmg reduction after using a photonic power anyway

Top Bottom