• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Killer Instinct to continue; will announce "new development partner" soon

ZenTzen

Glad to see they're on it. So who makes up the internal MS KI team? Am I missing anyone?

• Ken Lobb (MS creative director, original KI)
  • James Goddard (MS senior designer, combat designer - SFII, Weaponlord, etc.)
  • Adam Isgreen (MS creative director -- see interview about KI)
  • Daniel Fornace (MS game designer)
  • Shawn Retig (MS producer, KI director)
  • Campbell Tran (former competitive Street Fighter tournament player)

It's great that this was the team who got KI into the right hands, and with Lobb and Goddard at the helm it's less worrisome that things will fall apart, but this likely means delays for season 2. Here's hoping they found a great team again, maybe someone who won't get bought out from under them this time! Also hoping a few DH folks who are passionate about the KI project (e.g, Wilette, Verfaillie, Filthy Rich) just join MS to continue on. Would love to see KI get to season 3 (e.g., 24 characters) at the very least.
Now they just need the people on the art direction, just for consistency and some of the ones in developing the gameplay and the people in charge of the netcode and its golden

Now they just need the people on the art direction, just for consistency and some of the ones in developing the gameplay and the people in charge of the netcode and its golden

Don't forget sound. KI had amazing sound and music direction that added a lot to my experience.

.la1n

Absolutely not. If there is anyone on that team that has needed replacing it's the creative director(s), and texture / model artist.

Leflus

With their own engine sure.
...unless they're allowed to use the HEXengine specifically for KI 2013.

Meh... now we're just talking in circles. :p

It would be cool if they could get Kev Bayliss to design some of the characters in season 2.

Eoin

Believe what you want. But name one title where the publisher owned the rights to the engine made by a 3rd party developer. Just one will do.
Well an example where MS published a sequel made by a different dev, would be Crackdown 2. It was developed on the same engine as the first game despite being made by a different company. I've no idea if they owned they rights to the engine or if it was a licencing agreement. I've a question for you. Can you name one example where a third party developed sequel of an MS IP used a different engine when switching devs?

I think MS ties up a continuing licencing agreement for any engine being used with their IP, it's just common sense. You are not providing any evidence to suggest this would not be the case.

It's MS.
And Double Helix.

there is 0% chance Double Helix being acquired means MS can go fuck themselves.
You can bet your ass that in order to have a 3rd party work on a MS IP, the contracts were pretty thorough.

If not, then 0$ for a Jago fighting game was pretty sweet nonetheless. no hard feelings whatever the future of KI holds.
Actually the free character rotates now, so it's $0 for all characters essentially ;)

Well an example where MS published a sequel made by a different dev, would be Crackdown 2. It was developed on the same engine as the first game despite being made by a different company. I've no idea if they owned they rights to the engine or if it was a licencing agreement. I've a question for you. Can you name one example where a third party developed sequel of an MS IP used a different engine when switching devs?

I think MS ties up a continuing licencing agreement for any engine being used with their IP, it's just common sense. You are not providing any evidence to suggest this would not be the case.

Crackdown used renderware which was one of the dominant contracted out multiplatform engines at the time. So they lisenced the engine and used the same assets. I believe it was owned by EA at the time of Crackdown 2. Granted that was a while back, so it might have still been owned by Cannon.

Prine

Banned
Just realised what all the fuss is about after actually reading the news on this!

So this is another example where the development team behind a MS exclusive is gone and the i.p is kept like a shell. Halo, Gears, Killer Instinct. Someone should tap them on the shoulder and politely say: 'that's not how you do it'.

Is hyperbole your second name? The IP was revived, no reason why they cant shop around and find gold again.

I personally would love for the core DH guys to be absorbed into Rare and remind them of their heritage, but this is me living in fantasy land.

I'm completely baffled by giving the game away after they've seemingly done so well with the franchise. Seems like a big error.

Eoin

Crackdown used renderware which was one of the dominant contracted out multiplatform engines at the time. So they lisenced the engine and used the same assets. I believe it was owned by EA at the time of Crackdown 2. Granted that was a while back, so it might have still been owned by Cannon.
I still don't get what makes you so sure that MS didn't have a clause in the contract, that if DH was unable to continue devlopment, they would be able to use/modify any and all code in respect to continuing devlopment of the KI franchise. You seem adamant that this clause does not exist, but share no evidence as to why. Would seem a common sense clause for MS to cover this type of eventuality and I don't see why DH would have wanted to or been in a position to refuse it, when negotiating the contract.

I still don't get what makes you so sure that MS didn't have a clause in the contract, that if DH was unable to continue devlopment, they would be able to use/modify any and all code in respect to continuing devlopment of the KI franchise. You seem adamant that this clause does not exist, but share no evidence as to why. Would seem a common sense clause for MS to cover this type of eventuality and I don't see why DH would have wanted to or been in a position to refuse it, when negotiating the contract.

You have 0 evidence and 0 precedence on your side...believe what you want. I guess DH didn't value their own engine and just gave it away, and the announcement that Amazon also owns the rights to the engine of KI and Strider means nothing.

Eoin

You have 0 evidence and 0 precedence on your side...believe what you want. I guess DH didn't value their own engine and just gave it away, and the announcement that Amazon also owns the rights to the engine of KI and Strider means nothing.

Again you give no evidence to back up your absolute assertion. Show me the reciepts or reign it in. Amazon can own the engine, even while MS has a licence for future use. They are not mutually exclusive.

bumpkin

Hopefully this means that MS has poached the key talent guys who worked on KI at Double Helix. At least I sure as hell hope so.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Hopefully this means that MS has poached the key talent guys who worked on KI at Double Helix. At least I sure as hell hope so.

Usually when 3rd party devs make games, these things aren't allowed and are written into the contract to prevent bidding wars on individuals.

The fact that they are looking for a new developer basically screams starting from scratch. The Helix engine isn't designed to be open and easy to use for all developers, support isn't made for other developers, and the documentation will be for internal use only. They would be better off making a sequel from scratch.

Linkified

The fact that they are looking for a new developer basically screams starting from scratch. The Helix engine isn't designed to be open and easy to use for all developers, support isn't made for other developers, and the documentation will be for internal use only. They would be better off making a sequel from scratch.

Your assuming Amazon just last night decided "We'll now buy Double Helix". Double Helix would of been approached months ago if anything. Then DH would of had to inform Capcom as well as MS.

We don't anything about the deal we don't know what MS plans are going forward.

RetroStu

Banned
I wonder why they don't just let Rare continue with it, i mean there have been little hints about KI3 from Rare over the years (like that Christmas card) so its seems they probably planned on doing it at some point and want to do it.

Prine

Banned

Not sure about that, MS aren't dumb they would have has this all sorted before development even began. Documentation, MS own programmers etc would have been on hand to understand whats going on if not that, the eventual new team would be at DH handing the transition. This was a dream job for DH, they recieved respect for thier work and have been noticed because of it, they wont burn bridges over circumstances they themselves actioned.

Summoner

So what exactly does Rare do these days?
Kinectic 2.0?
They built the first 1 didn't they? I can't remember.

Netherrealm?
Please God No
FYI Midway(aka Netherrealm) were responsible for the custom arcade hardware of the first two Killer Instincts!!

Just saying.......

Wait, DH own engine, etc for Killer Instinct? How on earth did MS allow that to happen?
A lot of studios these days have their own game engines.....It also saves M$ money on having to license another 3rd Party engine (Unreal/Cryengine etc..) MS could not have foreseen a developer with a shitty record over the last decade being bought out by Amazon!!

QUOTE=Aaron;99806765]Just have Namco do it.[/QUOTE]
They got their hands full with Smash Bros. More importantly.....we are still waiting them to finish and release Tekken Vs Street Fighter!!

On a related topic, isn't Killer Instinct originally Nintendo's IP? Or was it Rare's IP?......
Nintendo owned the minority (49%) share of Rare.....how can they outright own 100% of Rare's IP's?

Amazing how they're not just letting Rare do it, that studio really is a wasteland now. What a waste of money.
Apart from Ken Lobb and Robin Beanland(original composer) the other original Rare KI devs are long gone.....that's why DH were brought in to do the game.

It's Double Helix' engine (HEXengine). Amazon owns it now.

What we don't know is if MS can add content to KI 2013 or not. They might not own the engine, but they own that specific game. That's got to count for something.
If MS already locked DH in a contract for the upcoming seasons...by law, Amazon must honor all previous contracts DH made before they bought them. We don't know exactly what " locked" deals MS made with DH. There's a possibility MS waited to see how Season 1 turned out before making a commitment future seasons. If that's the case, KI fans have legitimate reasons to be worried.

But that's kind of what they did with DH, wasn't it? No experience in the genre and a developer with a pretty poor track record overall, yet they did a great job. So that makes predicting the next KI developer pretty tough. It could well be another wild card.
That's not entirely true, DH brought in devs/programmers that had experience in fighting games to make KI. These guys weren't around for those forgettable games we associate DH with.

We aren't sure if the clause you're talking about does exist, we are all speculating here.
Now would be a good time for either Penello, Nelson or Spencer to come out and clear up this shit.

Just hope we don't get another "Activision Vs. Infinity Ward" fiasco. We don't know if those guys signed long term binding contracts or not.

I wonder why they don't just let Rare continue with it, i mean there have been little hints about KI3 from Rare over the years (like that Christmas card) so its seems they probably planned on doing it at some point and want to do it.

giving it to Rare would be the WORST thing they could do after Double Helix made the one good Killer Instinct game

would kill all momentum for the series they have right now

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Went to sleep last night thinking everything was ok with KI, now I'm really worried. :[

I'm hoping against hope MS managed to keep at least a few integral members of DH's KI team and forms a small KI team within Rare. That along with MS KI team would have a great chance of keeping the game going strong. At least Mick Gordon doesn't work for DH so I see no reason why he'd leave.

TBH I havnt been completely satisfied with some of the art and graphical work in the game so it may not be a bad thing to have some new blood work on the visuals. Spinal and Fulgore look amazing but some of the classic costumes and accessories were pretty bad. Just have to wait and see wtf comes out of this.

Based on 343i and Black Tusk, Microsoft continuing a franchise after the original developer is out of the picture feels like standard procedure.

Based on 343i and Black Tusk, Microsoft continuing a franchise after the original developer is out of the picture feels like standard procedure.

343i new engine.
Black Tusk will either pay or have paid for the unreal engine or use a new engine.

Anyways this is getting old.
Microsoft actually acquired bungie at one time.

Damn, I loved the passion Double Helix was putting into the series, they really knew what they were doing. Now I'm very worried about the series. Is the entire KI team going? Who's staying?

Edit - Never mind, already answered :)

Glad to see they're on it. So who makes up the internal MS KI team? Am I missing anyone?
•Ken Lobb (MS creative director, original KI)
•James Goddard (MS senior designer, combat designer - SFII, Weaponlord, etc.)
•Adam Isgreen (MS creative director -- see interview about KI)
•Daniel Fornace (MS game designer)
•Shawn Retig (MS producer, KI director)
•Campbell Tran (former competitive Street Fighter tournament player)

Is Mike Z (skullgirls) still consulting?

It's great that this was the team who got KI into the right hands, and with Lobb and Goddard at the helm it's less worrisome that things will fall apart, but this likely means delays for season 2. Here's hoping they found a great team again, maybe someone who won't get bought out from under them this time! Also hoping a few DH folks who are passionate about the KI project (e.g, Wilette, Verfaillie, Filthy Rich) just join MS to continue on. Would love to see KI get to season 3 (e.g., 24 characters) at the very least.

Summoner

What really shits me is when MS bought Rare in 2002...the only Rare devs still around from the Nintendo days that went over to MS were the KI devs.
No one can expect these guys to stick around 11 years before the suits at MS get it their shit together.

spanks

I remember one of the guys saying that several devs that made KI pitches to Microsoft were at Evo 2013. Most likely NetherRealm, maybe Capcom? I'm guessing MS might go back to them if they're more confident with a bigger budget now.

Maxrunner

I will forever hate MS for this whole Rare thing....im actually typing this while hearing goldeneye bunker 1 and 2 tracks......

343i new engine.
Black Tusk will either pay or have paid for the unreal engine or use a new engine.

Anyways this is getting old.
Microsoft actually acquired bungie at one time.

I wasn't saying that as a knock against them. That's just their approach to second party development now.

Top Bottom