• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Crash was #1 best selling physical game worldwide in June w/ only 2 days

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This will grow bigger if the Xbox One version actually does come out this year.

CTR is for sure getting the green light, and probably a brand new platformer.
How much would it grow by if the first three games were PS exclusives?

Ridley327

I'd be there day one for Ape Escape. I'd find some way to break into storage facilities so I could be there day 0 even.

I've never even played a fuckin Ape Escape game either but the concept and the ape designs are so charming and hilarious to me I absolutely adore the franchise. Is there some reason Sony hasn't done any kind of remaster or rerelease of the games yet? Isn't there some rights thing?

For the most part, no, but I can see there being issues with Ape Escape 3 because of the Metal Gear crossover game that was included.

That being said, I'm pretty sure each game sold less and less over each installment, so I think it's an issue of a series that was never that big to begin with, and certainly not to the same level that Crash was.

watdaeff4

How much would it grow by if the first three games were PS exclusives?

Not at lot. That's not a dig at the Xb1, just the realism of a property....like you already stated....is tied with the PS brand. Between that and a delayed release (if at all), will leave only a few stragglers that had a playstation in the 90's, but now only have an XB1. Or a few XB1 only owners trying it out to see what the fuss is about.

Like you are implying - not much.

For the most part, no, but I can see there being issues with Ape Escape 3 because of the Metal Gear crossover game that was included.

That being said, I'm pretty sure each game sold less and less over each installment, so I think it's an issue of a series that was never that big to begin with, and certainly not to the same level that Crash was.

The company I work for had the animation rights to Ape Escape and made some shorts a while ago, every so often I ask if I can reboot it. Maybe someday they'll let me O:<

Gulz1992

I need more MediEvil. And they already remade the first game on PSP, just use that as the base, Sony!

The PSP MediEvil was terrible and unfaithful to the first game. They need to start over from scratch, look at what made the first game work and completely ignore the PSP game for a new MediEvil.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope it is inevitable. Part of me still has doubts though.

Well, they're Acti-owned remakes of Acti-owned games developed by an Acti-owned studio that belong to an Acti-owned IP and were published exclusively by Acti. Couple that with Acti and Sony refusing to say anything more than something to the effect of "The N. Sane Trilogy will be launching exclusively on the PlayStation 4" (well, there was PlayStation IE's tweet, but it was retracted) and you've a clear picture.

Tankard

Never during this generation i followed sales of a game as closely as Until Dawn and this Crash Trilogy. It's just a fantastic remake of a game that deserves as much sales as it gets.
Trying to platinum all three games now.

Go Crash!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Some people tend to judge every platformer by how it compares to a Mario game.

Crash is more linear than Mario 64.

Sonic the Hedgehog's controls are less precise than Super Mario World.

But the thing is, these characteristics aren't inherently bad. Linearity in Crash gives it a focused platforming identity. Sonic's momentum-based physics reward skill with speed. And the same goes for other beloved platforming games like Donkey Kong Country, Rayman, Spyro, Banjo Kazooie, etc. I have no problem with disliking these games' qualities on their own merits, but so many times they're judged poorly simply because they're different from some Mario game.

Mario is a critically acclaimed, popular series that is responsible for the existence of the platformer genre. But that doesn't mean it should be the perfect model every platformer needs to match.

Thank you.

I know you didnt mention LBP but I gave up trying to defend that game. They floaty jumps adds to the challenge.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I´m so happy to see it doing well but I really hope they will end up porting it to the pc as well, I don´t want to buy a PS4 just so I can play Crash on it. :/

Tapejara

The PSP MediEvil was terrible and unfaithful to the first game. They need to start over from scratch, look at what made the first game work and completely ignore the PSP game for a new MediEvil.

Ah, I was under the impression it was well received.

Then start from scratch, Sony!

Gulz1992

Ah, I was under the impression it was well received.

Then start from scratch, Sony!

Even the MediEvil 1 creators were unhappy with it. Chris Sorrell, the lead guy of the first game, has even said that he hopes to never hear that a MediEvil sequel is in production because he suspects it would be more like the PSP game and thus wouldn't be the MediEvil update that he or the other members of the original team would have wanted to see.

Top Bottom