• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 5 | Because we didn't preorder thread 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignition365

Neo Member
I'm actually waiting for them to make a Pokemon trading card game for Wii U/3DS where you can go buy packs of trading cards and somehow scan the cards into the game and make a deck with your real cards and battle with people world wide.

Not a good waiting, a smh waiting.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Whay I dont understand then is this:
Most popular:

USA = Marth
JAPAN = Captain Falcon
EUROPE = Little Mac
AUSTRALIA = Ike

Most poupular but not even in the top 10.
Does that really show the shitty distribution Nintendo has done?

All that means is that all Marth's currently out there have been bought up. They have the highest sell through. Which makes sense because they were considered rare and people were snatching them up where possible.

Cards are going to completely flop. You can't display cards. In-game functionality is cool, but people want these because their physical representations of their favorite franchises and something to show off.

If Amiibos aren't profitable, increase the price a few bucks.

Cards, plz.

I think you have to look at the market for cards from a different perspective. It's for people who want to unlock the content, but either don't care about the figures or don't have the means of obtaining the figures anymore. People do care about the content (people have been complaining day 1 about stuff being locked away behind Amiibos), and with the success of Amiibos, Nintendo is guaranteed to increase their functionality in a variety of games. Reasonably priced, I could see the cards doing just fine.

They'd cost next to nothing to produce. They're a cheap alternative option.

Horohoro

Top 30 posters from the previous thread
not top 25 so my name is on there, haha
:

Blue Namagem 784
Mononoke 405
Neo Dark 359
greenwolfe7 338
Zonic 244
Diggeh 214
M1nion 193
rjinaz 187
CH4OS 182
RyosukeTH 176
IntelliHeath 172
Byron Bluth 171
SalvaPot 167
superNESjoe 163
LiK 160
Toki767 153
BigBossJelly 149
SaviourMK2 148
Interface23 147
Christopher 141
ThisBeJason 140
Xamdou 139
pete_clarf 131
TheWorthyEdge 131
PadWarrior 124
Hero Prinny 122
Persona7 121
theSlacker 121
Danthrax 116
Lee Chaolan 112

Still in the top 5 and I took alot of time off this thread lol

Anyone's Metaknight pre-orders for in store pick up move beyond "payment validated" yet? Seems like most Best Buys have already received them, so shouldn't they be preparing these orders for shipping/pick up by now?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Cards are going to completely flop. You can't display cards. In-game functionality is cool, but people want these because their physical representations of their favorite franchises and something to show off.

If Amiibos aren't profitable, increase the price a few bucks.

Cards, plz.

I think cards are going to be supplements, they will likely be mediocre sellers in NA but since they are just cards, the likes of Amazon and Gamestop will likely still stock them.

For example, FE:If is known to have trading cards. Put NFC chips in them (Maybe just 1 "Rare Card" per pack even to keep costs low), and now you have "Amiibo Cards". Bamn, You can now advertise New 3DS Functionality, and they can be cross game compatible, working with FE:If and SMTxFE when it finally comes out. If older FE characters are featured in the game or cards, you can have them work with Project Steam to also unlock the FE characters in those.

Could also work well with Animal Crossing, and Pokemon, and Nintendo can pack in cards with games that can be used with other games. Buy Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS, get a Shulk Amiibo card, something like that.

Draxal

Marth's rareness was accentuated by the entrance of Morth's, so people doubled up on him just to get a good paint job initially.

bumpkin

Anyone still looking for a Lucario or a Fox who is willing to trade a Mega Man?

...and apparently according to at least one junior member in the last thread, I'm a "scalper" for proposing such a thing. I guess it's like Harvey Dent said in The Dark Knight; "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Einbroch

Banned
I think you have to look at the market for cards from a different perspective. It's for people who want to unlock the content, but either don't care about the figures or don't have the means of obtaining the figures anymore. People do care about the content (people have been complaining day 1 about stuff being locked away behind Amiibos), and with the success of Amiibos, Nintendo is guaranteed to increase their functionality in a variety of games. Reasonably priced, I could see the cards doing just fine.

They'd cost next to nothing to produce. They're a cheap alternative option.

I've come off the "flop" argument. I just think that cards are going to be "normal". The hype that surrounds Amiibos won't be there for cards. They absolutely should make cards. I just can't see people getting as excited for them as Amiibos. They need something for those who just want the DLC or who missed out on the limited edition figures, I agree completely. But if this thread were based on cards from the beginning we wouldn't have "5" OTs.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Mmm, new thread!

:

Blue Namagem 784
Mononoke 405
Neo Dark 359
greenwolfe7 338
Zonic 244
Diggeh 214
M1nion 193
rjinaz 187
CH4OS 182
RyosukeTH 176
IntelliHeath 172
Byron Bluth 171
SalvaPot 167
superNESjoe 163
LiK 160
Toki767 153
BigBossJelly 149
SaviourMK2 148
Interface23 147
Christopher 141
ThisBeJason 140
Xamdou 139
pete_clarf 131
TheWorthyEdge 131
PadWarrior 124
Hero Prinny 122
Persona7 121
theSlacker 121
Danthrax 116
Lee Chaolan 112

I actually have a chance at the top 5 now! Except Namagem's a beast, so there's no way I can catch up. :p

:

Blue Namagem 784
Mononoke 405
Neo Dark 359
greenwolfe7 338
Zonic 244
Diggeh 214
M1nion 193
rjinaz 187
CH4OS 182
RyosukeTH 176
IntelliHeath 172
Byron Bluth 171
SalvaPot 167
superNESjoe 163
LiK 160
Toki767 153
BigBossJelly 149
SaviourMK2 148
Interface23 147
Christopher 141
ThisBeJason 140
Xamdou 139
pete_clarf 131
TheWorthyEdge 131
PadWarrior 124
Hero Prinny 122
Persona7 121
theSlacker 121
Danthrax 116
Lee Chaolan 112
Hey everyone, welcome to "OT5", haha! Look at that, I was Top Poster by a long shot, geez! What can I say, I really like talkin' around here, you folks are alright!

Another day, another OT without Wave 4 preorders, what else is new?

I said it before and I'll say it again: here's to a great new OT!

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I think there is a lot to be said for the possibility they are working out exclusivity contracts. stores know what characters are coming so what would stop them from at least having the place holders up? Unless it's the fact that 3 of them may be exclusive to one retailer.

I worry that this might be real. I just keep wondering when NA can preorder. Because I was able to preorder wave three back in Dec, and it would be logical for them to open up around here. Hell UK preorders went up like 2 weeks ago. So god dam frustrating!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone, welcome to "OT5", haha! Look at that, I was Top Poster by a long shot, geez! What can I say, I really like talkin' around here, you folks are alright!

Another day, another OT without Wave 4 preorders, what else is new?

I said it before and I'll say it again: here's to a great new OT!

NAMAGEM PLS

I was hoping for at least a 10 post head start before you dominated the thread with your awesome posts! :p

Horohoro

Mmm, new thread!

I actually have a chance at the top 5 now! Except Namagem's a beast, so there's no way I can catch up. :p

Ikr. After the first few threads I thought I had a shit at #1 but but some family issues held me back last thread and work... And class... But I'll remain up there I think lol.

Did I read right that Toon Link and Sheik are now "everywhere"? I still can't find them at all. Not even empty pegs with their names on the tags.

y2dvd

Those amiibo cards better be on those cheap $1 prepaid cards because who gives a shit otherwise!

*ends rant

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've come off the "flop" argument. I just think that cards are going to be "normal". The hype that surrounds Amiibos won't be there for cards. They absolutely should make cards. I just can't see people getting as excited for them as Amiibos. They need something for those who just want the DLC or who missed out on the limited edition figures, I agree completely. But if this thread were based on cards from the beginning we wouldn't have "5" OTs.

That's true. I don't think there will be anything close to the excitement around Amiibo figures. The cards won't dwarf anything, they'll just be a supplement for people.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Did I read right that Toon Link and Sheik are now "everywhere"? I still can't find them at all. Not even empty pegs with their names on the tags.

They are available everywhere. There's just no stock.

Please understand.

thtcTT2.png

NAMAGEM PLS

I was hoping for at least a 10 post head start before you dominated the thread with your awesome posts! :p
Hey, I'm headed to work in an hour, so you'll have your lead! Can't be on this 24/7, as greenwolfe would agree:

Ikr. After the first few threads I thought I had a shit at #1 but but some family issues held me back last thread and work... And class... But I'll remain up there I think lol.
Sorry to hear abouy your family issues. Seems you were tied up, since it was pretty quiet on your front near the end, but hey, you were still Top 5 even after stepping away.

Hope whatever the issues were resolved themselves.

Horohoro

NAMAGEM PLS

Lets combine your and my post totals and see if we can beat him lol.

Namagem we need tag teams for comments set up a bracket lol

The Flash

Banned
So I bought Animal Crossing: New Leaf a couple of days ago on a whim just to see what it's like and now I really want an Isabelle amiibo. I also hope Zero Suit Samus comes out soon because she's quickly becoming my main.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, I'm headed to work in an hour, so you'll have your lead! Can't be on this 24/7

Can't be on this 24/7

Can't be on this

24/7

We all know you never leave the thread. We can see your bed over there!

Lets combine your and my post totals and see if we can beat him lol.

horohoro.gif

So I bought Animal Crossing: New Leaf a couple of days ago on a whim just to see what it's like and now I really want an Isabelle amiibo. I also hope Zero Suit Samus comes out soon because she's quickly becoming my main.

ACNL is amazing! I have about 310 hours in it since launch.

:

Blue Namagem 784
Mononoke 405
Neo Dark 359
greenwolfe7 338
Zonic 244
Diggeh 214
M1nion 193

I wasn't in the top 30 and I would like to thank the Drama of Thread 3 for my going into hiding. But I am back and feeling the good Amiibo waves raining down on me. I mean just look at this! Dont you want to make love to this picture.
20150216_154057.jpg

That was the proof pic I was wanting to get to the dude that was compling release dates for Waves. TRU did sell Wave 3B figures after preorders yesterday. Not just a brag I promise ;P

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty excited for those cards! Hopefully there's a wider range of characters from each series that won't get amiibo.

Mostly because customizers could put the NFC part of the card under an amiibo base and have a custom figure on top! If they do Pokémon NFC cards, you could literally take the Tomy figures and put them on a base!

If you are looking, I can grab one of each for you and send them to you for cost + shipping... which, if I can find them at Best Buy (I think I can), would be about $28.

EDIT: Well, according to Best Buy's site, I can't just go in and pick those two up. There were lots of both at two different Best Buys on Saturday. Offer still stands, but might be a little more if I have to go to TRU or something.

I'm regret starting my collection late. I don't even know if I should keep going, I'm a completionist.

I started in between Wave 2 and 3, and without ever paying more then roughly 20-25 bucks for any amiibo, i've gotten caught up. If Nintendo cuts out the store exclusive stuff, it should be not as much of a delightful pain, but it won't be easy either. I know i'm going for it.

I wasn't in the top 30 and I would like to thank the Drama of Thread 3 for my going into hiding. But I am back and feeling the good Amiibo waves raining down on me. I mean just look at this! Dont you want to make love to this picture.
20150216_154057.jpg

That was the proof pic I was wanting to get to the dude that was compling release dates for Waves. TRU did sell Wave 3B figures after preorders yesterday. Not just a brag I promise ;P

dfb.jpg

Ignition365

Neo Member
Just read an article about some new software Nintendo is developing for amiibos. Software is free, and you tap the amiibo to unlock a game (think the masterpieces from Smash, timed demos) that corresponds to the amiibo. Would be really cool if it would unlock a full game and not just a timed demo. Sounds like exclusively NES and SNES games.

At least they make it sound like tapping the amiibo will allow you to play a random section of the game... so maybe if you are lucky you could play a full game of something in random order.

Akim

Banned
I started in between Wave 2 and 3, and without ever paying more then roughly 20-25 bucks for any amiibo, i've gotten caught up. If Nintendo cuts out the store exclusive stuff, it should be not as much of a delightful pain, but it won't be easy either. I know i'm going for it.

I just started so I'm probably fucked :)

We all know you never leave the thread. We can see your bed over there!

horohoro.gif

ACNL is amazing! I have about 310 hours in it since launch.
What can I say, it's a cool thread, and I "dig" it here!

My brother got ACNL and got craaazy bored really fast, though many others say that it'd really good. Probably not my kind of game. I played thr first one on GameCube and loved hunting for those NES games, but I think I'm good with that series.

Of course, there's gonna be an amiibo-supported entry in the series, and I think I'll skip that line of figures, personally.
Though I bet my fiancé would love to see that little yellow girl dog, even though she hasn't played herself

evangd007

Last week I found 6 Toon Links at TRU and a handful of Sheiks at Best Buy. They're gone now, but they were there. I find them both to be solidly uncommon. Not like Rosa, Falcon, Lucario, and Pit which I have literally never seen in person.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
What can I say, it's a cool thread, and I "dig" it here!

My brother got ACNL and got craaazy bored really fast, though many others say that it'd really good. Probably not my kind of game. I played thr first one on GameCube and loved hunting for those NES games, but I think I'm good with that series.

Of course, there's gonna be an amiibo-supported entry in the series, and I think I'll skip that line of figures, personally.
Though I bet my fiancé would love to see that little yellow girl dog, even though she hasn't played herself

MOqAti7.jpg

I noticed last thread that a ton of you are Amiibengaged/Amarriboed
these puns are even starting to hurt ME now
! You lucky people. :p

If I don't get my Greninja, Olimar and Duck Hunt amiibos I'm probably gonna go nuclear. Boy would that be a kick in the teeth.

Oh man, if Duck Hunt doesn't happen I'm gonna be furious. They have no reason to stop though, the things are selling out regardless of how popular the character is.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they'll simultaneously do Cardmiibo "reprints" for rare figures with the new waves.

But then people would be rushing to the stores for waves AND Cardmiibo. aaaaaaahhhhhh

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
You know, i don't wanna believe that, and yet...

Wave 6 will be Cardmiibo exclusive. Includes Duck Hunt and Mewtwo. Yes, you heard me, everyone but Duck Hunt will get a figure.

Please understand.

Iwata no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom