• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC Performance Thread

Kezen

Banned
Fucken Ubisoft.

Lol.

Hopefully I get 45+ fps so my Gsync smooths it out and gives it the "feel" of 60fps.

It's not Ubisoft's fault ultra settings are demanding and can tax even the best GPUs out there.

You should be happy that there are optional settings available. I have a 980 and I knew beforehand I would not be able to max this game out while sustaining 60fps, am I upset ? The polar opposite. More power to those who have higher end hardware than me, everyone wins with a scalable game.

HBAO+ ultra is really impressive, magnificent coverage but I can understand the dark halo it introduces is not to everyone's liking.

Banned
It's not Ubisoft's fault ultra settings are demanding and can tax even the best GPUs out there.

You should be happy that there are optional settings available. I have a 980 and I knew beforehand I would not be able to max this game out while sustaining 60fps, am I upset ? The polar opposite. More power to those who have higher end hardware than me, everyone wins with a scalable game.

HBAO+ ultra is really impressive, magnificent coverage but I can understand the dark halo it introduces is not to everyone's liking.

HBAO+ ultra and PCSS ultra are extremely expensive.
Don't shatter my dreams.

Fucken Ubisoft.

Lol.

Hopefully I get 45+ fps so my Gsync smooths it out and gives it the "feel" of 60fps.

The PC version was targeted for 30fps. Even with high end GPUs, to get stable 60fps there has to be some sacrifices and you gotta tweak some graphics settings.

I'm on a 980Ti.

Environment quality set to Very High, HBAO+, FXAA, PCSS off with everything else max. Average FPS is in the 70s.

knerl

The PC version was targeted for 30fps. Even with high end GPUs, to get stable 60fps there has to be some sacrifices and you gotta tweak some graphics settings.

I'm on a 980Ti.

Environment quality set to Very High, HBAO+, FXAA, PCSS off with everything else max. Average FPS is in the 70s.

Seems low? For your card. I'm on a 970. FXAA, HBAO+, Shadow quality on High, the rest on max at 1080p and I get ~70 avg in the more demanding areas.

EDIT: Ok. Using Same as above, but with TXAA4X I get around 40-45fps avg. The geforce 359 drivers fixed the stuttering the game had before. 3.8GB VRAM usage and zero stuttering.
2715x1527, same settings as above w/o AA and 40+ avg. 36fps min. Impressive.

So, just started the game. Got greeted with some graphical glitches right off the gate. Invisible crane, floating train, etc.

Very promising.

Kezen

Banned

I'm on a 980Ti.

I wonder what the visual/perf ratio is like for the ultra LOD setting. The game is nearly finished installing, I'll go for ultra environment, high textures, HBAO+, FXAA and high shadows. 50-60fps should be doable, or I'll tone down LOD.

ithorien

What's the word on the day 1 patch? Did it arrive already? Was there even supposed to be one or were we just assuming that there would be one (as per that one youtube description)?

The 1.22 GB download just hit about 2 hrs ago for me, but because I'm at work can't test thoroughly.

4790k, 16GB, SSD, 980Ti

Environment Very High
Textures High
Shadows High
AO HBAO+
AA TXAA2x + FXAA

With those settings I was getting 60 in game except cutscenes. Will have to see on new driver/after patch tonight.

elelunicy

GTX 970 has almost two times more peak processing power than what PS4 GPU has - and it is a more efficient design which is always running closer to the peak than any GCN chip out there. If you check the benchmarks you'll see that 970 is usually about two times faster than R7 265 / 370 which are the closest to PS4 GPU parts available on PC.
I think you're confusing 130% faster (what I said) with 30% faster (which is wrong).

JuanmaWL

Here it is :3

0tY2hFS.jpg

mtlam

Out properly or in beta? Cus I just downloaded them after clicking the beta box but if they're out out do I have to redownload them?

Out properly on NVIDIA website and I'm not sure if there's anything changed from the Beta to release so I would say safe than sorry to redownload them.

Seems low? For your card. I'm on a 970. FXAA, HBAO+, Shadow quality on High, the rest on max at 1080p and I get ~70 avg in the more demanding areas.

EDIT: Ok. Using Same as above, but with TXAA4X I get around 40-45fps avg. The geforce 359 drivers fixed the stuttering the game had before. 3.8GB VRAM usage and zero stuttering.
2715x1527, same settings as above w/o AA and 40+ avg. 36fps min. Impressive.

Cool. I'm going to install the new drivers when I get home.

Btw, anyone know if the FPS counter built into Uplay is reliable?

Kezen

Banned
MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
I7 4770K stock
16gb of ram (1600mhz)
Nvidia drivers 359.00 WHQL

Location : going after ferris after having sabotaged the machines, beating the shit out of a group of thugs.

cvvBM3D.png

Settings :
Environment : ultra
Textures : high
Shadows : high
AO : HBAO+
AA : FXAA

Runs without issues but I need to stress test more, I fully expect some drops here and here.
Note that recording frametimes with Fraps does carry a performance penalty.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Turn off MFAA in the Nvidia control panel, it caused worse performance for me and I'm sure AA just didn't work with it on.

Kezen

Banned
This game runs like a dream, better than Unity but it is not as dazzling overall.

Glad that my expectations are met.

Great port.

This is one game I would turn to the highest settings, down sample, and probably run @ 30fps. PCSS does that to some people (it looks great).

Karak

This is one game I would turn to the highest settings, down sample, and probably run @ 30fps. PCSS does that to some people (it looks great).

Its also misused and there is a bug it its implementation. There are already some videos showing it during comparisons. I am sure they will patch it later but for now its settings seem to be all messed up.

Agreed on the downsample. Might be a good way to run it. FXAA sure isn't

elelunicy

Uhhh...I guess to each their own. Personally I would take a good jump in performance over having shadows having a more realistic falloff.

This probably comes down to personal preference, but IMO shadow on high is just your typical video game shadow. Very fake/unnatural looking compared to PCSS.

jorimt

Uhm, wow, okay then.

Specs:
nVidia Driver: 359.00
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2
CPU: i7-4770k @4.2GHz (HT Enabled)
Heatsink: Hyper 212 Evo w/2x Noctua NF-F12 Fans
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper @1866MHz
SSD (OS): 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
HDD (Games): 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM

I just picked this up, downloaded it, set everything at max @1080p (FXAA), and am averaging 50-55 in the intro level. I'm really surprised it's this demanding. That, and even with a 980 Ti, there's no room left for better AA if you want to sustain 60 most of the time.

I did lower the shadows from PCSS Ultra to PCSS, but that only gained me an extra 5 frames at best. Also, coming from a week of Fallout 4, this game's AA options are really lacking. Only TXAA 4X has decent coverage, and as always, the performance cost is ridiculous. I'm really wishing they had a similar TAA option here.

This may be the first game since I got my 980 Ti that I lock to 30 fps and jack up the downsampling.

Karak

Uhm, wow, okay then.

Specs:
nVidia Driver: 359.00
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2
CPU: i7-4770k @4.2GHz (HT Enabled)
Heatsink: Hyper 212 Evo w/2x Noctua NF-F12 Fans
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper @1866MHz
SSD (OS): 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
HDD (Games): 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM

I just picked this up, downloaded it, set everything at max @1080p (FXAA), and am averaging 50-55 in the intro level. I'm really surprised it's this demanding. That, and even with a 980 Ti, there's no room left for better AA if you want to sustain 60 most of the time.

I did lower the shadows from PCSS Ultra to PCSS, but that only gained me an extra 5 frames at best. Also, coming from a week of Fallout 4, this game's AA options are really lacking. Only TXAA 4X has decent coverage, and as always, the performance cost is ridiculous. I'm really wishing they had a similar TAA option here.

This may be the first game since I got my 980 Ti that I lock to 30 fps and jack up the downsampling.
Reshade works with this. You could try that and see how SMAA treats you and the various options there.
I wasn't a fan of the TXAA here as it absolutely hammers the shit out of farther away details. Just blurs everything. I agree. Lots of outside AA work on this one.

MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
I7 4770K stock
16gb of ram (1600mhz)
Nvidia drivers 359.00 WHQL

Location : going after ferris after having sabotaged the machines, beating the shit out of a group of thugs.

cvvBM3D.png

Settings :
Environment : ultra
Textures : high
Shadows : high
AO : HBAO+
AA : FXAA

Runs without issues but I need to stress test more, I fully expect some drops here and here.
Note that recording frametimes with Fraps does carry a performance penalty.

True stress test seems to be once you unlock the Big Ben area. I was getting locked 30 in first few on a 970, once I did the first mission in that region I started getting drops to mid to low 20s :/

Gonna get the new drivers and see if performance improves.

Speaking of, in the past I always manually uninstalled drivers for new ones, does GeForce experience properly uninstall prior drivers before installing new ones or just write on top?

True stress test seems to be once you unlock the Big Ben area. I was getting locked 30 in first few on a 970, once I did the first mission in that region I started getting drops to mid to low 20s :/

Gonna get the new drivers and see if performance improves.

Speaking of, in the past I always manually uninstalled drivers for new ones, does GeForce experience properly uninstall prior drivers before installing new ones or just write on top?
There's a clean install option but I guess normally it just overwrites them.

jorimt

Well, I just maxed everything @1080p w/TXAA X4, capping to 30 fps as I said I would in my last post. GPU usage is averaging in the 50% range, and the train scene at the end of the intro was hitting 99% with dips to 25 fps, even with my 980 Ti.

I'm sure the PCSS Ultra shadows contribute heavily to this, but even so, seeing as this game doesn't look much better than a maxed out AC3 (which I can run at 4k DSR, 60 fps), and not as good as Unity overall (which I can run maxed w/fxaa @1080p, zero dips below 60 fps), I'm not sure what's warranting this relatively poor performance.

Assassin's Creed III still looks nice but the lighting is very dull in comparison.

And Syndicate is growing on me visually, it's still grand at all times but the dynamic night/day cycle is starting to make up for some of the day time downgrade. Having the day turn into foggy night is really atmospheric. Still think the PC versions of Unity and Syndicate are at the forefront of visuals on every platform.

jorimt

Assassin's Creed III still looks nice but the lighting is very dull in comparison.

And Syndicate is growing on me visually, it's still grand at all times but the dynamic night/day cycle is starting to make up for some of the day time downgrade. Having the day turn into foggy night is really atmospheric. Still think the PC versions of Unity and Syndicate are at the forefront of visuals on every platform.

Yes, it does look "better," but what I'm saying is how much so that it requires a 30 fps lock on a 980 Ti @1080p max settings?

Efficiency is not this hardware generation's focus apparently.

jorimt

Surely you don't need to lock to 30 if you turn off PCSS?

No, if I turn off PCSS entirely, and stick with FXAA only I can get an average 60 fps @1080p. What I'm saying is, if you want to max the thing out (and get even close to a decent amount of AA coverage in this sub-pixel minefield of a game), you'll need to lock it to 30 for a consistent experience.

Again, I'm not saying it looks bad, and unlike Unity, the memory management seems to have been heavily improved, it just surprising that it's so demanding at max settings, even more so than Unity.

Top Bottom