• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC Performance Thread

scitek

Can I unlock this early on Uplay with a VPN?

20fps with a 970? So it's completely broken then.

The lesson to be learned is to just turn off PCSS in every game that has it.

If they have PCSS on and a non-FXAA solution then yeah, I could see 20fps on a 970. PCSS High and any other AA solution will tank the framerate.

Stupidly, no. Ubisoft says it will unlock at 5am UK time which is in an hour and 20 minutes.

OK, thank you.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
To be clear I have everything cranked. I've got it mostly stable 30 after reducing shadows. Far from broken imo, I'm just a whore for graphics, performance be damned.

A 970 shouldn't offer console performance, so I'd still consider that broken personally. If turning PCSS off allows 60fps solid then it's no problem.

A 970 shouldn't offer console performance, so I'd still consider that broken personally. If turning PCSS off allows 60fps solid then it's no problem.
Why? 30fps on a 970 is fine if it offers significant visual improvement over the console version, and PCSS is definitely not something within the realm of console performance. The whole point of the PC platform is scalability and flexibility so it's good if they have settings that allow people to maximise visuals at 30fps or settings that allow good performance for 60fps.

elelunicy

The game runs @ 900p/30fps on the PS4. A 970 shouldn't allow 1080p/60fps even at console settings.

4jjiyoon

even with pcss off its still far far far above console performance and visual quality. thats more like everything on medium.

mjp2417

Banned
The game runs @ 900p/30fps on the PS4. A 970 shouldn't allow 1080p/60fps even at console settings.

You are underestimating just how much more powerful a 970 + good CPU are than the current consoles.

I had a 780 Ti (a close match for a 970) during Unity's launch last year and it ran 1080/60 at well above console settings so long as I didn't have PCSS or MSAA enabled. Of course, if I turned on PCSS and turned up the AA I was down around 30.

elelunicy

You are underestimating just how much more powerful a 970 + good CPU are than the current consoles.

I had a 780 Ti (a close match for a 970) during Unity's launch last year and it ran 1080/60 at well above console settings so long as I didn't have PCSS or MSAA enabled. Of course, if I turned on PCSS and turned up the AA I was down around 30.
Obviously my statement was purely from a GPU standpoint. But yeah the consoles probably have a lot of GPU power wasted due to the slow CPU.

How do you even come to a conclusion like that?

A stock 970 is around 130% faster than the PS4's GPU. Meanwhile 1080p/60fps is 188% harder to run than 900p/30fps.

I love when games launch into story/cutscenes at a resolution much lower than that of your monitor and you can't change it in fear of skipping the cutscene.

Just checked my resolution and it was set way above 1920x1080 at default.. Nvidia settings I guess? I changed it back and I'm getting better performance.

20fps with a 970? So it's completely broken then.

Not necessarily. I think it's like Unity there are a couple of insanely killer settings on Ultra (namely PCSS) that will kill framerate. You can cut PCSS and the highest level of AA and probably get a pretty consistent 60.

Just checked my resolution and it was set way above 1920x1080 at default.. Nvidia settings I guess? I changed it back and I'm getting better performance.

I think it does the same thing that Black Ops 3 did- defaults to the highest system resolution instead of default monitor resolution. So if you have DSR enabled then it will default to 4K.

Ok, so the game runs great for me on my 4690K, 980 Ti, and 16GB RAM. I am seeing the cloth physics running at 30, but it's not terribly disappointing. I MAY be wrong, maybe someone else can confirm, but stepping in water puddles seem to give me a splash at 30FPS as well. Maybe I'm tripping lol

UnrealEck

Ok, so the game runs great for me on my 4690K, 980 Ti, and 16GB RAM. I am seeing the cloth physics running at 30, but it's not terribly disappointing. I MAY be wrong, maybe someone else can confirm, but stepping in water puddles seem to give me a splash at 30FPS as well. Maybe I'm tripping lol

Not sure about the water, haven't noticed. But the cloth definitely doesn't animate with the same fluidity as the rest of the game.

RE4PRR

Get this game downloaded and installed when I get home from work in an hour. Will test out performance at 3440x1440 with 5820k and 980Ti inbetween playing Fallout 4 lol. Looks like I'll be giving pcss a miss anyhow.

Yeah, the new blood effects in Syndicate are terrible, I don't understand what happened. Every game since III has had blood stain your outfits and the walls/environment at large but all of that is completely removed and replaced with oddly out of place comic book blood that doesn't stay for longer than a millisecond.

It's just bizarre to have these elaborate animations and none of the punch you've come to expect from the series. Not sure if it's censorship or what.

elelunicy

Just started the game. Seems like it's quite a bit harder to run than Unity at the same settings (FXAA with everything else maxed out). Dropping PCSS Ultra to PCSS doesn't seem to do much.

I'll probably drop the resolution and play it with 4xTXAA on though. Temporal aliasing is extremely bad even at 4k. It was very distracting even in the intro movie.

Jtrizzy

can't get afterburner to show up in game, which makes it pretty tough to evaluate performance lol..any ideas? I have a 2600k@4.5 and sli 970s, yet the game performance is mediocre even after turning settings down. The amount of jaggies seen when you first walk out of the factory is disgusting frankly, think I'll come back to this in a day or two.

The removal of the blood is especially odd given the animations are the most brutal in the series by far. I just stuck a blade into a dude's hand to pin him to a box and slit his throat but it comes off as absurd when they've removed any kind of environmental reaction.

UnrealEck

I'll probably drop the resolution and play it with 4xTXAA on though. Temporal aliasing is extremely bad even at 4k. It was very distracting even in the intro movie.

TXAA in Syndicate looks great. Even at 2x.

Can anyone chime in their cpu usage while in London?

My Core i7 920 can handle it even with framerate uncapped, feeding a 980 Ti which stays at 98-99% usage.
If you have anything like a modern i5 2500K or better, you'll be fine.

The water splashes are definitely framerate locked as well which is really weird. When was the last time a game had jarring elements like that?

Corpekata

Banned
Man, things like cloth physics being locked to 30 FPS is something I would expect in a Japanese dev's debut game on PC or something, not something from a company like Ubisoft that releases like nearly every game they make on PC.

It's particularly distracting when using Evie since her cape moves more than Jacob's coat tails, at least in the default costumes for both. Which is a shame as I'd prefer to use her as my wander around character.

dragn

getting 50-60 fps with a 970 2500k combo. just dropped shadows to high and hbao+ is not on ultra. txaa x2 active

Don't buy it if you have only 2GB of VRAM and a fairly weak GPU.

With Core i5 4440 and 2GB 7870 XT I'm getting 25-30 fps with low environment and shadows, medium textures, SSAO and FXAA. Anything but low textures pushes me over VRAM limit but low textures literally look like N64 textures. I've had to drop resolution to 900p and play windowed and even then I only get 5fps boost.

It's playable but controls border on being unresponsive.

Ok, made a video on how it's running for me on this setup so others can get an idea if you have a similar PC:

i5 4690K
MSI GTX 980Ti
Asus Z97-A
GSkill Ripjaws 16GB
2xSamsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD(for all dem gamez)

https://youtu.be/Q31Yz01MPSI

getting 50-60 fps with a 970 2500k combo. just dropped shadows to high and hbao+ is not on ultra. txaa x2 active

Also have a 970 (EVGA SSC boosts to 1417) and a 2500k I only just did the opening with Jacob with these settings:
U8heyvr.jpg

With that I was mostly in the 50s and staying at 60 for bits (already enabled Vsync via RTSS) with a few times going into the 40s which it mainly hit the first time I enabled Eagle Vision. VRAM usage was only 2.5GB, I might drop shadows to high tomorrow and see what happens.

Also have a 970 (EVGA SSC boosts to 1417) and a 2500k I only just did the opening with Jacob with these settings:

With that I was mostly in the 50s and staying at 60 for bits (already enabled Vsync via RTSS) with a few times going into the 40s which it mainly hit the first time I enabled Eagle Vision. VRAM usage was only 2.5GB, I might drop shadows to high and see what happens.

You'll get another 10-15 fps or so.

Red Comet

Titan X
16 GB RAM
i7-4770k @ 4.5 Ghz
1440p w/ G-Sync

Did the first 3 missions and messed about a bit in London.

With everything maxed out except for shadows on High and AA on TXAA 2x + FXAA, I'm getting pretty decent performance. Never saw it drop below 30 for the first two missions and it seems to hover between 40 and 60 FPS running around in London. Although the frame rate never dropped below 30, there was some choppiness for parts of Evie's first mission for some reason. This remained even when I turned the settings way down so I don't what was causing it. Might mess around a bit with the settings this weekend, but so far I'm pretty pleased in terms of aesthetics and performance.

Jin

The SLI scaling is pretty good on my pair of 980Ti's. Pretty much 95+% or so. PCSS still tanks my framerate with my setup. PCSS+Ultra is even more demanding. I'm also getting mini stutter whenever the game autosaves in certain mission checkpoints. With shadows at high and everything max it runs very good so far @1440p.

jrcbandit

With that I was mostly in the 50s and staying at 60 for bits (already enabled Vsync via RTSS) with a few times going into the 40s which it mainly hit the first time I enabled Eagle Vision. VRAM usage was only 2.5GB, I might drop shadows to high tomorrow and see what happens.

Do those seem to be the optimal settings for us peons with 970s? I'm using 970 SLI at 1440p with those settings for a constant 60 fps so far.... Not sure if ultra environment is the way to go versus raising other settings? But even my SLI can't seem to handle TXAA, haven't found any good settings yet for constant 60 fps with TXAA, I don't want to drop to 1080p.

dex3108

Game crashes for me during intro (in first 5 seconds of intro). I tried verifying files, renaming intro video, running both UPlay and game in Admin mode and nothing. I guess no Assassin's Creed Syndicate for me today.

You'll get another 10-15 fps or so.
Cool, hopefully the new driver from NVIDIA will also improve things but not really counting on it. I'm still on 358.87.
Do those seem to be the optimal settings for us peons with 970s? I'm using 970 SLI at 1440p with those settings for a constant 60 fps so far.... Not sure if ultra environment is the way to go versus raising other settings? But even my SLI can't seem to handle TXAA, haven't found any good settings yet for constant 60 fps with TXAA, I don't want to drop to 1080p.

Not sure, haven't really played with them besides lowering them where I figured they'd be fine which if I locked it to 30 it certainly would be with room to spare. I'll be playing with it more tomorrow/later today it's almost 3AM here and I need sleep. I'll probably be dropping shadows to high and see what happens though I get a feeling when I get past the intro stuff (stopped when I got control of Evie) and am in London proper they might been to be tweaked further.

Top Bottom