• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC Performance Thread

Don't buy it if you have only 2GB of VRAM and a fairly weak GPU.

With Core i5 4440 and 2GB 7870 XT I'm getting 25-30 fps with low environment and shadows, medium textures, SSAO and FXAA. Anything but low textures pushes me over VRAM limit but low textures literally look like N64 textures. I've had to drop resolution to 900p and play windowed and even then I only get 5fps boost.

It's playable but controls border on being unresponsive.

Well, there it is for me then, same gpu.
Thanks for the warning.

So compared to Unity, it performs worse and looks worse. ~40fps on 4790K + 970 SLI at 1080p almost maxed (high-very high) with no PCSS.

No surprise I guess.

BlackEyes

I think there is something wrong with the sli? even though it says it uses both of the cards, u get the same performance as 1 card..

Jin

Hnm, I see. What kind of performance do you get?

With PCSS disable I get smooth performance. I didn't measure my framerates though, only check if it had SLI bits in Nvidia Inspector and saw usage on both my cards. But then..

disable sli and use 1 card, u get the same performance.. something's wrong.

Wtf. Gonna have to test this tomorrow.

elelunicy

I just tested it. In the same area I get 44fps with SLI on and 34fps with SLI off, i.e. only a 30% boost from enabling SLI. There isn't a CPU bottleneck either as I get locked 60fps if I turn the resolution all the way down to 720p.

The GPU usage was 99% when SLI is off, but only around 70% on both GPUs when SLI is enabled. Hopefully we'll get better SLI support since Unity's SLI scaling was nearly 100%. This might explain why my performance is way worse than Unity.

Dr Dogg

Well seeing as Eden has created and then ditched the thread here's a few comparisons for the two more demanding settings. Excuse the awful Steam shots as I stupidly didn't update my screenshot setup when upgrading the PC I was using to Win 10.

Ambient Occlusion said:
Off
064D459EC9B19A914E9C7FA9CE928A661D4A678A

HBAO+
E9B0791497A246F3682D58DA817358FAD740BD60

HBAO+ Ultra
99052D996650D35DEA3482F5011D2AFBB2FB4115

Now I've always been a lover of HBAO+ since I saw it in action in Black Flag and Arkham Origin but bloody hell the difference in quality and accuracy the Ultra variant brings. Might be a bit too dark in places but I've not got to a bigger open area yet but you can see contact shadowing cast over a much greater distance and blended evenly too. For me definitely worth the performance hit.

Shadow Quality said:
High
99052D996650D35DEA3482F5011D2AFBB2FB4115

PCSS
9E501451AC7720BD214E414C039C92D6F8590347

PCSS Ultra
DBA27DC9A74EEAED23AA4526EEFA56DFF27C8215

From low to high is what you'd expect with a reasonable change in shadow map resolution but still not great at high. Under PCSS as you'd expect shadows cast closer to the object are more defined and under the Ultra setting the shadow map resolution is increased further. Pretty hefty performance cost on both the PCSS settings but the do make a massive difference the closer the shadow casting object is. Yet again a better comparison would be from a bigger open area but I'm not there yet. Going from high to PCSS cost me about 15-20% in performance terms and Ultra a bit further still.

One thing to note for a few this might be an issue for. As well as detecting your system config at launch and adjusting settings to suit (badly I might add) it also seeing to take the aspect ratio of your highest resolution into consideration for when adjusting the safe area for UI elements. Now despite my native resolution being 3840x2160 my display also handles 4096x2160 which isn't 16:9 so prerendered cutsceens don't expand to the full display width, all my UI elements are slightly squashed and the tutorial overlays don't meet the edges of the screen. GTA V did this and it was a right pain to sort out but if you can make a custom resolution of 4096x2304, seeing that is 16:9 hopefully that will sort this mess out.

Kezen

Banned
That's not true. Granted, developers are taking advantage of higher VRAM counts but if they didn't care about 2GB GPUs - by not bothering with settings that scale to it - then I would not be playing any of the latest games with my 2GB GPU.

I believe they could still optimize better for 2gb cards but they have no intention of doing so going by the latest games.

So the texture quality you get with 2gb is worse than it should be in some cases.

EDIT :
To no one's surprise, the "ultra" variant of HBAO+ and PCSS totally nuke the framerate. HBAO+ and high shadows will do fine for me.
I'll report on my performance (with objective data, frametimes) later today.

Dr Dogg

Yep 4096x2304 fixed my UI and safe area issues. Urrggghhh I know this is quite an exotic problem that less than 1% of people will encounter but it's something you'd expect the dev team to realise is going to be an issue if you get these values automatically from the users system and they can't override either in game or via ini adjustments.

Ah well sent Ubi's support a explanation about that and the cloth issue. Though know the response I usually get from them I get the feeling I'm going to have to do a lot more explaining.

To no one's surprise, the "ultra" variant of HBAO+ and PCSS totally nuke the framerate. HBAO+ and high shadows will do fine for me.
I'll report on my performance (with objective data, frametimes) later today.

I'll take the 11-14fps hit I get for HBAO+ Ultra any day of the week. In my eyes really worth it if you've got the performance to spare elsewhere. PCSS and the Ultra variant it's a bit of a toss up really but I noticed some flickering at close to medium distant shadows using high whilst moving the camera that I didn't get with PCSS. Really though I think I'm going to wait until I get out into the open world proper to settle on what to tinker with but each and every effect performs and looks exactly as I would expect.

Rodin

No internet for almost two days, tried to resume the download, started from the beginning. Fuck you ubisoft.

Anyway, HBAO+ Ultra seems a must. Am i good with a 970 for ultra details (except PCSS), "light" AA solution (FXAA?) and hbao+ ultra?

I'll take the 11-14fps hit I get for HBAO+ Ultra any day of the week.
Wooow. Guess i'll stick with the "normal" HBAO+.

Corpekata

Banned
Had a cut scene were a central NPC didn't load in. It was doubly hilarious because he was doing stuff like moving crates and stuff around so I am now going to assume ghosts are involved.

Dr Dogg

Pretty cool that hbao+ is seeing an upgrade here. How much more expensive is it on average?

About the same again, as in 6-7 frames, on top of HBAO+ so 12-14 over no AO in the area I tested. Hope Andy has a guide up as the Far Cry 4 one where he went into detail actually what HBAO+ does (as in resolution, sample count etc) was really insightful and there looks to be more going on here.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Don't buy it if you have only 2GB of VRAM and a fairly weak GPU.

With Core i5 4440 and 2GB 7870 XT I'm getting 25-30 fps with low environment and shadows, medium textures, SSAO and FXAA. Anything but low textures pushes me over VRAM limit but low textures literally look like N64 textures. I've had to drop resolution to 900p and play windowed and even then I only get 5fps boost.

It's playable but controls border on being unresponsive.

I'm not a PC player, so I just came to see if Ubisoft avoided any further fuck-ups with the AC franchise here, however I am really curious now, how does the game look with N64 textures? Could you please post some screesnhots :)?

dr_rus

A stock 970 is around 130% faster than the PS4's GPU. Meanwhile 1080p/60fps is 188% harder to run than 900p/30fps.

GTX 970 has almost two times more peak processing power than what PS4 GPU has - and it is a more efficient design which is always running closer to the peak than any GCN chip out there. If you check the benchmarks you'll see that 970 is usually about two times faster than R7 265 / 370 which are the closest to PS4 GPU parts available on PC.

dEvAnGeL

I've played about 2 hours so far and im getting a locked 60 at 1080p with everything maxed exept for PCSS, that on ultra gives me drops to the 40s, for AA im using 2xmsaa+fxaa

GTX 980ti
16 gigs ram
i7 2600k @ 4.5
ssd
Windows 7

Cutscene performance is pretty bad for me, regularly drops into the low 50s. Also there's this weird micro stutter specifically during this Evie bit... it wasn't an issue during Jacob's introduction bit, only Evie's. Not sure what it is. Hope the NVIDIA drivers clean some of this up.

sgs2008

50-60 fps at 1440p txaa 2x and shadows on high getting 50-60 fps (titan x sli and 4770k). Sli scaling seems to be rly bad at the moment hoping for some improvements with patches/drivers.

c0Zm1c

I know, but the game tells me I have almost 4 Gb VRAM.

Some games will report it as 4GB when they can only use 2GB, so going beyond 2 will likely cause framerate issues. I have the same card (GTX690), but I imagine it's the same for actual SLI set ups; the only exception to this I've seen is GTAV where somehow that game allows me to go beyond 4GB and I still get a smooth 60fps.

Durante

HBAO+ Ultra looks really great.

The range of the effect is extended greatly, and that's understandably expensive. What's impressive is that despite that it still seems to maintain the best feature of HBAO+, which is extremely minimal "false positives" (that is, AO shading where there shouldn't be any, something common with many screenspace methods).

Game is even buggier and uglier than Fallout 4 (and Unity). Geez.

I guess it's the new industry standard. People just keep buying the crap anyway.

edit: sorry for the hyperbole, but I honestly think it's pretty damn ugly. and in terms of bugs, it has barely been playable so far. key characters disappears mid game, game doesn't start half the time etc.

playing @ 1080p maxed on i7 4790K, 970 SLI, 16GB 1600, Samsung 850 256GB SSD

knerl

Performs really well. Looks just like Unity if not better.
GTX 970, 2500K @4.3GHz, 16GB RAM, Win 10.
Shadow quality on high, AO on HBAO+, FXAA, the rest on max.
Getting ~70fps avg at 1080p.
Stutters in certain areas sometimes. Cloth animations are still locked at 30fps it seems.

knerl

Game is even buggier and uglier than Fallout 4 (and Unity). Geez.

I guess it's the new industry standard. People just keep buying the crap anyway.

What? Buggier sure, but uglier. No no. Looks just like Unity with better draw distance it seems.

TheRyanx2

Neo Member
Only played like the first 10 minutes, but was getting high 50s (1080p) with everything maxed while inside, then 40s while fighting, or in a small outdoor area, and 30s with eagle vision on.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ / i7 4790K @ 4.0GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / Win 10

Scaling back shadows and AA some will hopefully do the trick, but I need to get out into the full open world before I'll know for sure.

I hope they fix the 30fps cape physics. I tried looking for inis but there are very very few. There's one in documents which lets you turn off fog if that's bothering you but I couldn't find any relevant ones in the game files. Although apparently none of the AC games have been very tweak friendly so... meh.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I hope they fix the 30fps cape physics. I tried looking for inis but there are very very few. There's one in documents which lets you turn off fog if that's bothering you but I couldn't find any relevant ones in the game files. Although apparently none of the AC games have been very tweak friendly so... meh.
Anything in there for npc count?

Parsnip

What's the word on the day 1 patch? Did it arrive already? Was there even supposed to be one or were we just assuming that there would be one (as per that one youtube description)?

I had a problem last night with character textures were loading in low res even though I had it at the highest setting. A restart fixed the problem. Still really strange.

That does seem a bit bare bones. From past experience these games aren't very mod friendly tho aside from reshade and texture packs. :/
Yeah they've all been like this. Recently replayed AC2 and tried to see if there was any way to increase shadow draw distance because it is very limited but there's nothing. It's a bit of a shame really.

Top Bottom