• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

How it stares at that man, and the man has no idea his soul's desecration is at hand.

The desecration has already begun. A twisted, horrifyingly deformed version of the man's head is growing on that thing's shoulder. Soon it will be fully formed and that poor man will be trapped inside the body of a demon for eternity.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I'm liking the game so far. I got it for 35$ and so far Id say it's worth getting for 25-35 dollars.
Graphics look pretty good but not mind blowing. Animations look great and the controls are AC but refined a bit more for decending from places.

The story seem really good so far! I am playing in French because the game takes place in France and it's been cool so far!

Framerate is 30 but I've seen it drop for sure which is disappointing. The fact that ubi said they used all the system capabilities is hilarious. Lol. It looks good but nothing better than the pirate one.

Definitely seen some glitches too which is also disappointing.

This is through about an hour or so of playing. It's not the worst game in the world but it ain't the best by any means.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't remember those glitches and the framerate was over 30 which can't be said for the console versions now. Remember, game was demo'd at the MS conference.

Also if there were no pop-in issues back then, why are they in the PC build now?
There was a moment during the on stage e3 demo where the guy tried to double assassinate two guards but Arno went past them instead and nearly stuck to the wall. While fighting them one of the civilians also glitch out strangely. And during the co-op demo there was some lag with some of the animations and there's also that gif where Arno kicks the guy's leg and it stretches out before coming back into place. Rewatch the demos.

woen

These are both good. I was trying to think of an appropriate word with an aigu but it's been years since I studied any French

It took me 2 minutes to find appropriate works, there aren't many in fact !

So if someone can change the title of this thread (or the upcoming review thread)

Do the nomad missions on the companion app only kick in at a certain time? I can't do the first training mission as it says no assassins are available...

The nice thing is that this game isn't out until the 14th in the UK. So if it's rubbish we have three days notice not to buy it.

That said, I'll still be upset if they've finally got around to releasing a French Revolution AC game and it's a turd.
Yeah, beyond being annoyed by having bought a potential stinker, I'll be livid if they fuck up the one AC set in that time and place. We lived in Paris for a decade and my wife is a history buff so we've been having the "when does Assassin's Creed go to Paris?" conversation for years now.

"Liberté, parité, raclée"

"Liberté, parité, déculottée"

Déculottée seems very fitting since the game is all about the "sans-culotte" revolutionaries.

wouwie

After skipping the last AC games, i hoped this would be the one to get me back in. The prospect of AC running on new hardware was something i was looking forward to a lot since i love the worlds that Ubisoft portray in their AC games. It's such a shame the developers prioritised crowd numbers over solid technical performance (stable frame rate, less pop-in and proper 1080p resolution). I don't understand how anyone found this a good idea amongst the developers. I might still get it at some point but my enthusiasm went down considerably the last days.

There was a moment during the on stage e3 demo where the guy tried to double assassinate two guards but Arno went past them instead and nearly stuck to the wall. While fighting them one of the civilians also glitch out strangely. And during the co-op demo there was some lag with some of the animations and there's also that gif where Arno kicks the guy's leg and it stretches out before coming back into place. Rewatch the demos.

Ok, that totally makes it alright then.

ZeroX03

Banned
DROPPING THIS BEFORE THE EMBARGO FINISHES, BRING IT UBI

ZeroX03's Embargo Breakin' Review Preview
(I've played for eight hours on PS4 w/ patch, 1/3 story, some sidequests, don't take me too seriously)

Positive
  • France is beautifully big.
  • Crowd density is insane.
  • Draw distance from synchro points. This city is big. [PIC]
  • Buildings you can enter. There's a lot more than in ACIII and IV. Maybe 1 in 20, which doesn't sound like a lot but it actually means running down a street you'll find somewhere you can duck into. Walk into a back alley? There's a way out. Makes maneuvering on the ground a lot more fun. Also you can see into buildings in general more. Really helps with the immersion.
  • Character customization has a lot of options. Most of them only change your character slightly but they're each visually different and you have 30+ options per piece of clothing. By the way: bright yellow assassins don't stand out any more than usual, but they fucking should. [PIC]
  • Bigger selection of weapons, including spears and heavy weapons you can keep permanently.
  • The rifts are shameless excuses to show cool stuff they otherwise couldn't.
  • Quick descend works well enough.
  • Tailing and assassination missions give you more freedom. Less fail states too. Not perfect at all but an improvement.
  • At times, some beautiful visuals. Spoilers for sequence 3: [PIC 1] [PIC 2]
  • For all intents and purposes, if you liked Assassin's Creed II and the Ezio trilogy you should like this. Technical issues aside.
  • It's playable and story is serviceable...

Negative
  • ...but it's only playable if you have high tolerance for low framerates, big pop in and a bundle of glitches. Or a computer that can really brute force it.
  • Story pacing is horrendous for the first third. It was like they were so afraid to repeat the sins of AC3's very long intro that they just rushed through story points. At one point the game just skips a year, but unless you read the mission description you wouldn't know. The world doesn't even get dark inbetween. Every mission has a big story beat, but it's hard for the emotion to land when it doesn't get any chance to breathe.
  • NPCs that can appear out of thin air with more skill than an assassin.
  • Stupidly bad frame drops and hitching in situations which should not be intensive (in rooms with no NPCs). I've had it go as bad as 9 frames without the image refreshing. At times the game will go 30, but if you're out exploring the world and a crowd hits: we're talking 20fps.
  • Climbing is still prone to taking you places where you don't want to go. And God forbid you jump on a small crate while running from enemies, you're completely fucked with no way to get off it.
  • Glitches that will require you to restart checkpoints. They happen a lot more than usual, within the first hour I fell through the floor.
  • Skills that were default in past AC games are now locked and you have to spend skill points on them (double assassinations, money bags, crowd blending). Bullshit.
  • One scene that randomly added a huge amount of film grain. Like TLoU photo mode on max.
  • Treasure chests linked to the companion app. Except you can't open them because uPlay is down.
  • The city is too big in places. All the other games were scaled down and traversal was simple and fast. Now if you say run into a dead end alley you'll probably have to scale a tall building. Because everything is huge. It's great for landmarks and synchro points but not so much for casual rooftop to rooftop Tarzan-style shenanigans.
  • Even with fast travel it can take too long to get around. The fast travel/synchro points aren't always in the most convenient locations. Or framerate stable.
  • Rifts don't render NPCs fully (no textures, just blue outlines) and they say it's because of the animus. Don't fucking kid us Ubi. We know you couldn't churn out new NPCs because of how understaffed you are.
  • There's way too much optional stuff crowding the map. If you love collectibles: fine. Because you've got a lifetime's worth here. For me it's to the point where I would rather not be wandering off every ten seconds. It's the epitome of padding. World Book of Records most padded game ever.
  • There's a shitload of fetch quests. And you have to return to the person who gave you the quest at the end of each one.
  • THEY REMOVED WHISTLING. Instead you have more inconsistent bombs that makes sounds. Sometimes they just won't investigate. And you're ammo limited on them.
  • If you're sick of Assassin's Creed, it'll probably just make you hate it more. It's not a franchise reinvention. It's Malibu Stacy with a new hat.
  • If you like modern day stuff, so far it seems you won't like this.
  • Long story: there are too many technical issues. I'm a forgiving guy. I can forgive a poor framerate, or lots of pop in or even ridiculous glitches. Those can be funny! But all three at the same time? No. Fuck no. This is an AAA game worked on by more people than probably any game ever. It needs serious forgiving.

Random Musings
  • Arno is French Ezio.
  • Generally a lot less focus on the hidden blades. You have to use a different weapon for combat.
  • Combat: You don't have guard break from the start. Parrying leaves you open if you whiff. 3 or less enemies you can still just mash attack to win. Four or more would be hard if you couldn't just drop a smoke bomb and kill them easily like every other AC game.
  • It hasn't completely crashed on me. But some menu screens make the fan whirl hard.
  • Game is really brutal. Corpses in the street. Stray heads about.

DROPPING THIS BEFORE THE EMBARGO FINISHES, BRING IT UBI

ZeroX03's Embargo Breakin' Review Preview
(I've played for eight hours on PS4 w/ patch, 1/3 story, some sidequests, don't take me too seriously)

Positive
  • France is beautifully big.
  • Crowd density is insane.
  • Draw distance from synchro points. This city is big. [PIC]
  • Buildings you can enter. There's a lot more than in ACIII and IV. Maybe 1 in 20, which doesn't sound like a lot but it actually means running down a street you'll find somewhere you can duck into. Walk into a back alley? There's a way out. Makes maneuvering on the ground a lot more fun. Also you can see into buildings in general more. Really helps with the immersion.
  • Character customization has a lot of options. Most of them only change your character slightly but they're each visually different and you have 30+ options per piece of clothing. By the way: bright yellow assassins don't stand out any more than usual, but they fucking should. [PIC]
  • Bigger selection of weapons, including spears and heavy weapons you can keep permanently.
  • The rifts are shameless excuses to show cool stuff they otherwise couldn't.
  • Quick descend works well enough.
  • Tailing and assassination missions give you more freedom. Less fail states too. Not perfect at all but an improvement.
  • At times, some beautiful visuals. Spoilers for sequence 3: [PIC 1] [PIC 2]
  • For all intents and purposes, if you liked Assassin's Creed II and the Ezio trilogy you should like this. Technical issues aside.
  • It's playable and story is serviceable...

Negative
  • ...but it's only playable if you have high tolerance for low framerates, big pop in and a bundle of glitches. Or a computer that can really brute force it.
  • Story pacing is horrendous for the first third. It was like they were so afraid to repeat the sins of AC3's very long intro that they just rushed through story points. At one point the game just skips a year, but unless you read the mission description you wouldn't know. The world doesn't even get dark inbetween. Every mission has a big story beat, but it's hard for the emotion to land when it doesn't get any chance to breathe.
  • NPCs that can appear out of thin air with more skill than an assassin.
  • Stupidly bad frame drops and hitching in situations which should not be intensive (in rooms with no NPCs). I've had it go as bad as 9 frames without the image refreshing. At times the game will go 30, but if you're out exploring the world and a crowd hits: we're talking 20fps.
  • Climbing is still prone to taking you places where you don't want to go. And God forbid you jump on a small crate while running from enemies, you're completely fucked with no way to get off it.
  • Glitches that will require you to restart checkpoints. They happen a lot more than usual, within the first hour I fell through the floor.
  • Skills that were default in past AC games are now locked and you have to spend skill points on them (double assassinations, money bags, crowd blending). Bullshit.
  • One scene that randomly added a huge amount of film grain. Like TLoU photo mode on max.
  • Treasure chests linked to the companion app. Except you can't open them because uPlay is down.
  • The city is too big in places. All the other games were scaled down and traversal was simple and fast. Now if you say run into a dead end alley you'll probably have to scale a tall building. Because everything is huge. It's great for landmarks and synchro points but not so much for casual rooftop to rooftop Tarzan-style shenanigans.
  • Even with fast travel it can take too long to get around. The fast travel/synchro points aren't always in the most convenient locations. Or framerate stable.
  • Rifts don't render NPCs fully (no textures, just blue outlines) and they say it's because of the animus. Don't fucking kid us Ubi. We know you couldn't churn out new NPCs because of how understaffed you are.
  • There's way too much optional stuff crowding the map. If you love collectibles: fine. Because you've got a lifetime's worth here. For me it's to the point where I would rather not be wandering off every ten seconds. It's the epitome of padding. World Book of Records most padded game ever.
  • There's a shitload of fetch quests. And you have to return to the person who gave you the quest at the end of each one.
  • THEY REMOVED WHISTLING. Instead you have more inconsistent bombs that makes sounds. Sometimes they just won't investigate. And you're ammo limited on them.
  • If you're sick of Assassin's Creed, it'll probably just make you hate it more. It's not a franchise reinvention. It's Malibu Stacy with a new hat.
  • If you like modern day stuff, so far it seems you won't like this.
  • Long story: there are too many technical issues. I'm a forgiving guy. I can forgive a poor framerate, or lots of pop in or even ridiculous glitches. Those can be funny! But all three at the same time? No. Fuck no. This is an AAA game worked on by more people than probably any game ever. It needs serious forgiving.

Random Musings
  • Arno is French Ezio.
  • Generally a lot less focus on the hidden blades. You have to use a different weapon for combat.
  • Combat: You don't have guard break from the start. Parrying leaves you open if you whiff. 3 or less enemies you can still just mash attack to win. Four or more would be hard if you couldn't just drop a smoke bomb and kill them easily like every other AC game.
  • It hasn't completely crashed on me. But some menu screens make the fan whirl hard.

Thanks, I may have to cancel then. After Shadow of Mordor I'm not desperate anyway.

allftw

Neo Member
So for anyone else not able to go online I managed to do it by changing my dns to Google's. Don't know if it actually had anything to do with it or if I was just lucky but I thought I'd share.

Ricker

Played for about one hour on the PS4...looks great in some area's but average in other...I hate the way they did the hair for example lol...the number of people on screen in town is incredible...the framerate has not bothered me yet but I have seen a lot of glitches,like people falling from their second floor patrol to the first floor,on top of someone and staying there,almost walking on their heads,etc, and some quick pop-ins all over the place...it just slightly looks better then Black Flag to me so a little disappointed there,after seeing the trailers and all during the year...

And like many said,yes the loading are awful so far...

Revan

Can someone tell me what the eagle icon is that appears occasionally in the lower right hand of the screen means (by the weapons) -I've been searching for a while now and can't figure it out...

PC version is running better than expected on max. Planning to play with the settings and then cap it at 30 for a smooth experience.

I really like the combat (compared to the older games) and it looks good.

Xander51

I'm really really enjoying this and I feel like the only one. I love the scope and scale of the world, I love that the combat is slightly harder, I love how the faces and lighting look. Yes, the framerate is all over the place, but I don't care.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can someone tell me what the eagle icon is that appears occasionally in the lower right hand of the screen means (by the weapons) -I've been searching for a while now and can't figure it out...

Isn't that the eagle vision icon? When it's full you can use it.

I don't like the look of it, AC1 had the best eagle vision. Now it even tags hay stacks... Every game gives you the ability to see through walls now. Didn't need that in Tenchu.

Epcott

Do my ears deceive me or am I hearing faint undertones of Jesper Kyd's Earth (AC2) in the background of the prison scene?

(omg the frame rate in here... Gasp)

HariKari

Does anyone have any idea how to have multiple save files on the PC? I literally do not see the option and there's no way to delete the cloud save it uses.

WELL I ALREADY OPENED THE SHRINK WRAP. Should have waited for reviews...
damn it

I haven't played it yet, so all of this buzz is killing my hype. This is the first AC game I've bought since 2.
Someone convince me that it's okay. SOMEONE.

ZeroX03

Banned
Are the npcs good at least? Napoleon, Elise...? I liked her design.

So far they're okay but the game jumps around so quickly I'm not getting a whole lot of time with any of the supporting cast other than the dude who keeps calling Arno a pisspot.

Also the cover system is dumb. They should've just kept the sticky walls.

MC_Hify

So I have a 980, a 5820K, and 32gb of RAM. Should I get this on PC or PS4? I preordered on PS4 because I hear the ports of the AC games are horrible but it sounds like the performance on PS4 might be worse than what my PC can muscle through.

shandy706

So I have a 980, a 5820K, and 32gb of RAM. Should I get this on PC or PS4? I preordered on PS4 because I hear the ports of the AC games are horrible but it sounds like the performance on PS4 might be worse than what my PC can muscle through.

That's a hilarious question.

lol1.gif

ZeroX03

Banned

Black Flag was a safe bet on PS4 but you should just brute force this on PC. Console is a disaster.

Top Bottom