• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

alright, idk what was happening with my game. I hard reset my ps4 and it seems fine now. It wasnt even really the frame rate I would say, its almost if the game would just twitch every 1-2 seconds. I wonder if this game has something like New vegas did, where the longer u play at once, the more messed up it becomes or something like that. I am walking around in the same areas I was before and it is so much more smooth

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ok I've seen a guy vibrating on a couch but that's as far as my NPC glitching experience has extended thus far with the PS4 version (digital), none of the egregious pop in shown in some of the videos and gifs. Frame rate judders with lots of NPCs on screen though quite a bit and at other times it's smooth 30, inconsistent.

My own personal experience with this isn't much different from my early experiences with past AC games. It's early Versailles times though so maybe the game will spaz out soon.

Loving the tweaks to the free running and fast descent manuvers (still manages to jump wrong tho sometimes!). Game manages to look gorgeous too, frame rate aside.

rocK`

Banned
Sorry if its been answered before but are people experiencing issues linking uplay account to steam accounts?

i can't seem to find the option to do it, and it's telling me my uplay account is linked to another steam ID (even though nothing shows up on my page...)

Dahbomb

Just arrived in Paris. If anyone is farther ahead, is it possible
to travel back to Versailles? Just in case I wanted to get the remaining chests there...
Yea there's a coach near the main Assassin's building that lets you travel between locations.

DOWN

Banned
Patches could really fix a lot of the games issues, because creatively I think it's one of their best. Hopefully Ubisoft feels the heat and has to pull an EA Battlefield 4 patch team, but thankfully Unity is nowhere near broken. Unity is more like Mass Effect 1. A beauty that runs below average.

Jetman

Thankfully prebooked through Amazon standard and it hasn't shipped yet - so Prebook Canceled -

First time I'd ever don't that for an AC game. Seriously dissappointed in everything I've been reading all morning, from reviews to impressions in the OT. The Digital Foundry findings were the last straw for me (especially since I'm a PS4 user). Sticking with AC Rogue and maybe by the time I'm done with that, DA:I, and Shadow over Mordor, shit will be patched up and fixed.

ironcreed

Banned
I guess there must be something wrong with me, as I am actually really enjoying this game. Paris is wonderful, the acting and presentation are both great, the game is beautiful and it is playing just fine so far. I'll just ignore the nasty microtransactions like I have in the previous titles and go from there.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's kind of just dawned on me that the AC game I've been waiting for, basically since the game series started, has finally arrived. And it's awful.

I'm actually quite a lot more bummed out by this than I thought I would be.

SJRB

Gold Member
Game is awesome. Atmosphere is great, the attention to detail is super impressive, climbing is much faster/cooler, Arno is a great character, and so is Elise. Most "alive" city I've ever seen in a game, there's just so much going on everywhere. Technical issues blablabla, I've had no problems looking past the pop-in and stuff like that. I've had zero gamebreaking bugs, flying NPCs or falling through the map. So far the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

Some "by design" stuff is rather annoyingly Ubisoft-esque, like the nonstop pop-up reminders to spend my currency on upgrades. Just fuck off already. And the modern-day stuff? Pretty terrible. Even though the [facial] animation is borderline uncanny valley.

Super impressed with the facial animations overall, it's aces.

I'm not seeing anything in the e3 demo that isn't possible to do in the final game.

Play at a steady framerate maybe? Hell I am forgiving with technical issues but this is really inexcusable. And you knew what I was angling at, I really don't know why you champion the game.... it's ok to like the franchise and admit this is fucked up.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
alright, idk what was happening with my game. I hard reset my ps4 and it seems fine now. It wasnt even really the frame rate I would say, its almost if the game would just twitch every 1-2 seconds. I wonder if this game has something like New vegas did, where the longer u play at once, the more messed up it becomes or something like that. I am walking around in the same areas I was before and it is so much more smooth

The game installs itself while it plays. I think by the end of Versailles it should be done, but maybe it keeps going even once in Paris.

edit: BTW, unrelated, you can change time of day in the menu (but not in missions, or at least most of them). I think afternoon looks best.

Even though my experience so far has been enjoyable, surely Ubisoft will soon try to make amends by releasing a patch. I almost want to wait a bit for this before I get to far into the story.

Game is awesome. Atmosphere is great, the attention to detail is super impressive, climbing is much faster/cooler, Arno is a great character, and so is Elise. Most "alive" city I've ever seen in a game, there's just so much going on everywhere. Technical issues blablabla, I've had no problems looking past the pop-in and stuff like that. I've had zero gamebreaking bugs, flying NPCs or falling through the map. So far the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

Some "by design" stuff is rather annoyingly Ubisoft-esque, like the nonstop pop-up reminders to spend my currency on upgrades. Just fuck off already. And the modern-day stuff? Pretty terrible. Even though the [facial] animation is borderline uncanny valley.

It's not as disastrous as I was expecting, but it's still not standing out in any way to me in terms of the gameplay. Runs fine on PC, looks really good at times, really hilariously bad at others, and the popin is distracting. The combat just does nothing for me at all. It feels more sluggish and less fun than previous games (which is an impressive accomplishment in a way). Admittedly I'm not very far in, but it's basically been identical to previous games except enemies take more hits to die, which basically amounts to more button mashing.

The climbing still frustrates the hell out of me at times. It's even more "snappy" than it used to be, but that just makes it more likely to snap to something that I didn't intend for it to snap to. I accidentally run up walls or jump onto ledges that I don't mean to and I seem to have an even harder time getting down from them than I used to. The Parkour Up/Parkour Down paradigm works well in broad strokes, but I haven't found it to be useful for the subtle movements, which have always been the most problematic ones in the AC series. I can descend from the top of a church steeple to the ground really well, but I still have trouble dropping from a roof onto a specific ledge or into a specific window.

Aces&Eights

I think this is the first game in my life I might stop playing because of technical issues. It's that bad on PS4. At least for me. And I've never been someone all that sensitive over framerates. Even free running around the city is choppy. I don't think this game is capable of hitting a solid 30 for long. Went through the escape from the Bastille part and I couldn't even believe how bad it was.

If the game doesn't get better about this I'm just gonna go trade it in tonight. It's such a shame because I love almost all of the AC games and Black Flag ran extremely well on PS4. This feels like a chore to even run around.

Be glad you did. It gets worse after you become an assassin. I am beyond upset that one of my most favorite franchises has gone full retard. The frame rate was so bad for me I actually chatted with Sony on their website and got a refund. I have literally never done that before. And now I am reading about the companion app and that explains what those cryptic messages on some chests were all about. Gotta get the app to open them. For a huge collectable guy, this was a kick in the nuts. I just want to pay 60 for a goddamn game and then play the game using all assets in said game. I don't want to download a fricking app and have to play that to unlock in game content that I PAID FOR.

For fuck's sake, Ubisoft, you have gone completely FULL RETARD.

it's ok to like the franchise and admit this is fucked up.

This is me. I love the AC games. I love collectable hunting and open worlds and am quite understanding with a glitch or hiccup here or there. I even get that some people like to play FTP games with micros. Fine. But for fuck's sake, for a 60 dollar game, micros are unacceptable. Chests that I have to unlock by downloading a goddamn app on my phone? And I checked, the app is HALF A GIGABYTE. Now, I have to stop my game, turn on my phone and unlock a chest in my game then turn off phone, go back to game and open chest? JESUS. As for the framerate not being that bad,maybe my ps4 is dying because it was 25-30 up to the cathedral. OK, not the best but I can live with that. After the church, it dropped significantly. Past jittering. Past a "bad spot in a large crowd". I ran inside a building and stopped moving. I was standing next to 3 people. AsI slowly panned the camera, the 3 people were talking and it was like a robot. Their arms janked up and down. As I tried to move away the whole scene turned into a slide show. Back out side and it was even worse. I turned off my ps4 and restarted the game. As soon as it loaded up, sure as shit, I was walking like I was in mud and the crowds were uniformly janking to the beat of on fucked up drummer.

SRTtoZ

It's kind of just dawned on me that the AC game I've been waiting for, basically since the game series started, has finally arrived. And it's awful.

Can you be more specific as I remember you were really looking forward to this. What was it exactly? Story? Bugs? etc

I think I narrowed this down. Either when I get into a large fight or when I die, something happens with my game where it just twitches every 1-2 seconds. I have to completely restart my ps4 to fix it. I dont think its a problem with the frame rate, as its even happening in the start menu

TheRed

This game is the most gorgeous game I've ever played. Granted I'm on PC with fps staying between 40-60. So any console version complaints are well deserved. But man this game is beautiful, if there weren't technical issues for the majority of people I would say this is the best one yet.
From my perspective with the PC version, this is easily my favorite since AC2, I'm just loving every second of exploring with the HUD off.
I'm really sad that such great work that went into designing this world is marred by all of these other problems.

ZeroX03

Banned
So I can't play this game for 12 hours after having already played it all last night. I have an Australian PSN account on my PS4 that has apparently reset the unlock timer so it won't let me open on the game, even on my US account where it says Application Starting Eligible. Probably Sony's fault, but I'm gonna blame Ubisoft just because it's easier.

Also my glitch videos were featured on Polygon. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Can you be more specific as I remember you were really looking forward to this. What was it exactly? Story? Bugs? etc

I refuse to buy a game with this lack of polish combined with a completely cynical--completely despicable in fact, considering the state of the game at release--attempt by Ubi to bilk people out of more money through microtransactions. I had some pretty strong words to say about it when they shoved them front-and-centre in Forza 5 and as far as I'm concerned this is every bit as bad.

I might--might--buy this game from the bargain bin, whenever it ends up there. But I refuse to support these practices for full price (or more, in fact, since new games in the UK cost the equivalent of ~$71).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This game is the most gorgeous game I've ever played. Granted I'm on PC with fps staying between 40-60. So any console version complaints are well deserved. But man this game is beautiful, if there weren't technical issues for the majority of people I would say this is the best one yet.
From my perspective with the PC version, this is easily my favorite since AC2, I'm just loving every second of exploring with the HUD off.
I'm really sad that such great work that went into designing this world is marred by all of these other problems.

I keep it on, but press R3 to turn it off, then turn it on when I need it. No need to go in the menu. Somehow, it just looks great when there's no UI on, much more immersive. I hate the UI. Now if they could get rid of all the animus highlighting stuff thing, and the splinter cell position ghost.

so apparently if u just upgrade the theater fully and do all the missions, then do some other ones around the city, you will be swimming in money in no time. I have yet to do this, but a person on reddit said this. 40k per hour, and you can be afk as well during it

fernoca

First Murder Mystery...was nice. Really cool diversion looking for clues, the putting everything together to accuse someone.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm kind of shocked there are no liberate a fort to unlock all points of interest missions like the last few ubi games.

ironcreed

Banned
I'll say this, the gameplay is much better here. The up/down controls for parkour feel great, movement looks better and even the combat is more challenging on some enemies. I have had only a slight dip or two and the crowd has some jerky animations when you bump into them, but other than that typical AC jank, everything else feels like an improvement.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
B2NC5V7IIAAfndW.jpg:large

I can't get into these chests without logging into Uplay?

giphy.gif

H1PSTER

I totally echo this.

However.

I won this game on a GAF giveaway so I don't think I can consciously be rude about it, I can however speak from it as an ex-reviewer and I totally understand people's anguish.

I'm playing it on PC with a 2600K, GTX 970, with the day one patch and updated video drivers and I appear to be getting a stable 50 to 60 FPS on very high with v-sync. I've had next to no glitches whilst playing but I have had pop-in, I'm ignoring it because I am enjoying the game.

I haven't experienced anything (yet, during seven hours of gameplay) that has put me off playing this game but I have had things which have made me groan such as the micro-transactions. They aren't necessary by any stretch however at the start of the game you do earn very little money until you start opening those 2-3 star chests or start doing the three star missions.

Another thing, this is possibly the worst thing of them all for me, they demand you use the app to open some chests. Why Ubi? Probably so the players are tempted to buy the micro-transactions which are in that app too.. I'm a complettionist, don't punish me for not owning a device which shuts away content on my game all because you want to make a buck.

I really see a great experience within this game, but it's a shame UBI dun fucked it up, as they did with Watch_Dogs but they won't learn, they never do.

Here are three screen shots which I believe show off how nice this game looks, all three are from cut scenes and are taken using STEAM so won't be "true quality", the last one shows off a problem I do have with the game graphically and that's it's DoF during cutscenes, that French bloke looks like paper!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I will say that the PC screens of cutscenes look fucking crazy. Easily the best realtime graphics I've seen in a game.

I wonder if they can fix the framerate with a patch. This game was clearly rushed.

Besides the horrendous dips, I'd be happier with them fixing absolutely everything else before they fix the framerate.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I've put about an hour in, still in the first area.

It's pretty buggy. Combat response is all over the place. The damn flypaper free run is back. I seem to stick and climb everything.

That said, I absolutely love everything else. The setting, the world design, the sense of place. And my god these graphics are amazing.

It's like an fully interactive Metchant Ivory film.

I mainly play AC games to wander around the created worlds, and this thing is delivering.

Also, I'm not seeing the horrible frame rate that is being mentioned everywhere. It seems to be maintaining a pretty steady 30 fps...

This is on the PS4

hohoXD123

I'm hopeful that a lot of the technical issues will be fixed by a patch soon. If it's as unplayable as everyone is making it out to be then I don't see how Ubisoft can sit on their asses. The other aspects of the game still look interesting to me.

Does anyone think some of the glitches will get patched? Or are they not known for doing this?

Ubisoft is actually pretty good with patches. I remember there being a glitch in AC3 that prevented an achievement from unlocking, they fixed it quite a while after the game was out

ZeroX03

Banned
Does anyone think some of the glitches will get patched? Or are they not known for doing this?

ACIV got a patch up to 1080p a week or so after release, but that game was pretty decent beforehand. If this game is going to get a patch that fixes the major issues to has it's going to take a lot longer than a week. So in short, I don't know.

Ubisoft is actually pretty good with patches. I remember there being a glitch in AC3 that prevented an achievement from unlocking, they fixed it quite a while after the game was out

Oh they fixed that? Cool.

I completely forgot about asking this. Is anyone playing the game in French, with English subtitles?

I believe people said that it was an actual option. I'm actually torn, almost 11 hours before it launches for me.

Top Bottom