• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Paganmoon

Just fyi, the AC: Unity companion app is available for Windows Phone as well. First time I see a companion app (of the few that get released) to come day and date with android/iPhone, so thought I'd mention it for those interested.

Skux

Companion app tip - don't bother recruiting mid-tier assassins. They have upgrade limits on their stats. Hire the cheapest assassins, don't upgrade their stats (which costs currency), and grind the early missions until you get about 2500 currency so you can instantly buy a level 20 assassin (which has the highest upgrade limit) and breeze through the remaining missions.

You can also find low level assassins with max stat ceilings - get these guys too.

I don't get the game until tomorrow so I've just been sitting here at work redoing the early missions over and over.

I think this is the first game in my life I might stop playing because of technical issues. It's that bad on PS4. At least for me. And I've never been someone all that sensitive over framerates. Even free running around the city is choppy. I don't think this game is capable of hitting a solid 30 for long. Went through the escape from the Bastille part and I couldn't even believe how bad it was.

If the game doesn't get better about this I'm just gonna go trade it in tonight. It's such a shame because I love almost all of the AC games and Black Flag ran extremely well on PS4. This feels like a chore to even run around.

I have a question. HOW THE HELL do I quit a co-op session on this piece of shit game?! I checked everywhere. Nothing works, uplay is down, and my framerate is constantly dipping.
Then to boot, I tried co-op and the leader couldn't initiate a mission despite having a full party, and now I'm stuck in co-op and can't quit?

Mendrox

Played the game for 4 hours. Story is typical Assassins Creed.

Game is an unoptimized pos. Controls even feel even clunkier than past AC games.

Bugs so far:

- Fell through the floor 3 times
- People flying trough air
- Arno was able to jump from the bottom of Notre Dam to the highest point!
- Sound bugs

Also the modern parts... feel strange. They look cool yes, but they don't really feel good with the pacing. I don't know I like Assassins Creed games, but this one... will maybe the first one that I won't be able to finish.

Neofx

Played it for a couple hours, haven't encountered any game-breaking bug yet thankfully.

The story is amazing and the games looks great. I love it so far!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have a question. HOW THE HELL do I quit a co-op session on this piece of shit game?! I checked everywhere. Nothing works, uplay is down, and my framerate is constantly dipping.
Then to boot, I tried co-op and the leader couldn't initiate a mission despite having a full party, and now I'm stuck in co-op and can't quit?

I can't even get co-op to load.

dreamfall

Finally got my copy! After the justified shitstorm in so many arenas (microtransactions, poor performance, horrendous PR), I'm ready to settle down and enjoy my 20 frames per second.

That bad?! Fuuuuck. Here's to hoping it's got some redeeming goodness, especially for a hardcore AC fan...

DOWN

Banned
lol great job on that companion app Ubi. Connecting it to PS4 has reset many people to 0 assassin's when they do it and then it is no longer playable.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Finally got my copy! After the justified shitstorm in so many arenas (microtransactions, poor performance, horrendous PR), I'm ready to settle down and enjoy my 20 frames per second.

That bad?! Fuuuuck. Here's to hoping it's got some redeeming goodness, especially for a hardcore AC fan...

i picked up my ps4 copy too. perhaps a lack of judgment on our part but we shall see :D

Draper

Why the hell do I still want to buy this game? I shouldn't right? I'm just craving a single player campaign I can sink my teeth into.

Good god uplay download speeds are horrendous. 40GB game, 22 GB downloaded and then it drops to 6 kB/sec (from 3 MB/sec) and has stayed there for hours. This is not how you win business from Steam, Ubisoft!

dreamfall

i picked up my ps4 copy too. perhaps a lack of judgment on our part but we shall see :D

Baha, cheers! We'll compare notes of our struggles! I hope the narrative is rad.

Here goes nothing! And I loved AC3 after all the hate, the pop-in and performance woes, it may rival that!

Cross posting from the PC thread:
Specs:
i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz
16 GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (High amount of usage here)
GTX 780 3GB / Stock Cooler / 7GHz memory OC

Did a decent amount of testing with fraps' benchmark tool and my eyes.

Average FPS in open world = 51 (36/61)
Average FPS in cutscenes = 31 (21/52) (Cutscenes have frequent drops for some reason)

I am using FXAA, 'high' shadows, and everything else on max/ultra. VERY impressed with the performance overall. much better than Black Flag was for me.

15766664071_005b79a4af_o.png

15770086052_24d5eecae9_o.png

15583424797_07b488bb3f_o.png

Gaz_RB

The game is really good, its just the technical problems that make it bad. I love the combat and exploring Paris and the coop. The game is beautiful, and seeing the crowds that huge is awesome, but it shouldn't come at the cost of framerate :/

Cross posting from the PC thread:
Specs:
i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz
16 GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (High amount of usage here)
GTX 780 3GB / Stock Cooler / 7GHz memory OC

Did a decent amount of testing with fraps' benchmark tool and my eyes.

Average FPS in open world = 51 (36/61)
Average FPS in cutscenes = 31 (21/52) (Cutscenes have frequent drops for some reason)

I am using FXAA, 'high' shadows, and everything else on max/ultra. VERY impressed with the performance overall. much better than Black Flag was for me.

Fuck I shoulda gone PC.

Companion app tip - don't bother recruiting mid-tier assassins. They have upgrade limits on their stats. Hire the cheapest assassins, don't upgrade their stats (which costs currency), and grind the early missions until you get about 2500 currency so you can instantly buy a level 20 assassin (which has the highest upgrade limit) and breeze through the remaining missions.

I don't get the game until tomorrow so I've just been sitting here at work redoing the early missions over and over.

just for caution, the first time I linked my game to the app, it wiped everything I had already done. I hope it doesnt happen to you, it seems like you have put a lot of time in already lol

Some of the bugs I've found are hilarious so far. People just falling through the world, Arno falling through the world. The random pop-ins and floating characters.

For some reason, the climbing feels really clunky to me. Just feels like a hassle moving around.

This game is literally unplayable. One case of coop we could never start a mission, another case 75% in we couldn't use our inventory or attack we both had to quit. Single player keeps glitching on me too. Fuck this. DO NOT BUY!

This game is literally unplayable. One case of coop we could never start a mission, another case 75% in we couldn't use our inventory or attack we both had to quit. Single player keeps glitching on me too. Fuck this. DO NOT BUY!

werent you saying u were not going to buy this game for weeks. Why did you buy it? lol

Dammit. You guys are making me second guess myself on buying this.....I really want this game and framerate doesn't really bother me much (Evil WIthin is fine and completely playable for me) but you guys are making this out to be the worst game ever...ugh. IDK!!!

Am I the only one besides some pop in textures who isn't having any issues? I5 4670k 4.6ghz, 770 4gb. Maxed settings with FXAA, mid 60 fps most the time, 30's with dips during some cutscenes. Haven't played much into the story yet, but I've been playing Coop missions with little to no issue (One time I got stuck inside a doorframe, but that's about it.)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Frame rate is a bit iffy 20-30s, but I haven't encountered any visual glitches so far, after seeing the pop in gifs etc I figured they'd be everywhere but not so far, sequence 2 (still downloading so taking it slow).

Leeness

Dammit. You guys are making me second guess myself on buying this.....I really want this game and framerate doesn't really bother me much (Evil WIthin is fine and completely playable for me) but you guys are making this out to be the worst game ever...ugh. IDK!!!

It's not the worst game ever. It's perfectly playable, quite nice to look at, has some typical AC jank, plus some extra crowd jank because maybe they bit off more than they could chew.

It's not perfect but it's not even close to being the worst game ever, or even unplayable.

G_Berry

Banned
Just convinced quite a few of my friends to stay away from this hot garbage.

They were really looking forward to unity like me however shit like this needs to stop.

That's like almost $500 Ubi wont be getting.

idk what happened. For some reason after that confessional assassination mission, my game just seems extremely laggy. It was not this bad before that.

I remember seeing someone say if you go offline, it makes it less laggy. Did anyone try this? I dont think I can use the app while offline on ps4, and I am not sure about uplay stuff...so idk if I want to do that

Dahbomb

Half way done with the story mode at 6 Memory sequences completed (total are 12 unless there are hidden memories or something). Story mode can be beaten in 10 hours by my estimation.

The other stuff to collect will probably take twice as long though lol. Going to return this game by Monday to get money down on DA I.

Technical aspects aside this is a fairly standard AC game with a bunch of shitty social and microtransaction features sprinkled. The scale is immense but IMO does not overcome the various technical faults of the game. This game along with Destiny will probably be among the poster boys of stuff wrong with AAA games these days.

I have been fortunate to not run into any big glitches so far. Just a couple of random 5 feet drop that killed me for no reason.

KorrZ

Got to play through the intro so far and actually really liked it. I've had the game straight up crash on me twice now though, within about 30 minutes of play so that's a bit concerning....PS4 version.

fernoca

Hmm...this video and others I've seen, kinda make it as if there are other problems. I played that a few hours ago and it wasn't like that. I'm currently doing side missions, running around and syncing to see more of the maps...and again, nothing yet.

Digital version (PS4) if anything. Asked earlier if others having problems are playing the disc version, since maybe it's related to the game streaming assets while installing at the same time.

sobaka770

Banned
Just arrived in Paris. If anyone is farther ahead, is it possible
to travel back to Versailles? Just in case I wanted to get the remaining chests there...

GoDLiKe

Ok so I'm playing PS4 version and getting an error (sorry didn't read past pages) on mission 3 saying that my game is not fully installed. After a quick search on Google I saw lots of people with the same problem, because the game wasn't completely installed and there are like 30 GB left, but I must check my storage in order to see the progress since there's no notification about that.

How ridiculous is that? I pre ordered Shadows of Mordor and didn't face any issue like that.

Don't know how many Aussies are on here, but just out of curiosity how many of you have had your orders shipped? Mine is still sitting at processing and I am concerned it won't turn up for launch.

Ok, So I'm the biggest AC fan in the world I'm not one to jump on a hate bandwagon easily, but shit do I have a new one for you guys. So I ordered the collectors editions and was initially super impressed by what comes in it. The Arno statue is really high quality and the actual functional wooden music box that plays the Assassin's Creed theme song makes me endlessly happy but I went to install the game and I decided since I had them I would go ahead and use the disks. Especially since I'm already at my Comcast induced 300gb a month cap. So I start the installer and I'm swapping disks when it asks me to and then it says please insert disk 5 and I was like wait I only have 4 disks, then I looked in the box and there is definitely a slot for a 5th disk and its just not there. They legitimately just forgot to send me one of the disks in my collectors edition game.....

i6cMiB6PwCQDa.jpg

Downloading it from Uplay now.....Unfortunately I can't even use the disks I do have because the installer wont allow you to just partially finish and then let uplay download the rest.

Top Bottom