• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Dead

well not really...yet
Murder mysteries are pretty legit

How are you supposed to get assassins for the companion app. It says to complete the training missions yet it says I have no assassins to do it

The performance hits are visible enough that my wife, who's been playing the game for a couple of hours and isn't particularly tech minded, just asked me why they didn't halve the displayed population to make the game run smoother.
Well, she also hung up her old office window, which was pretty awesome.

It's really a mixed bag so far: I love the setting and the scope of the game but the frame rate issues and the secondary currency really annoy me.

theDeeDubs

Just had my achievement progress reset and I didn't get the one for solving a murder mystery (which was excellent by the way). This game would be amazing without the bugs and framerate issues. I'm probably going to put it on hold for a bit. I had to essentially 100% AC3 twice because of an early bug with the almanac trophy. Might see if a patch fixes frame rate too. It's not always bad, but I have had a few instances that caused deaths due to not being able to parry because of framrate drops.

Murder mysteries are pretty legit

How are you supposed to get assassins for the companion app. It says to complete the training missions yet it says I have no assassins to do it
This seems to be a bug. The app missions were all working perfectly until the app was connected to Unity. Hoping for a fix :/

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just started this game up, should have know what I was getting if they hold reviews till after the games out...

Got it for ps4 wtf is with the frame rate, pop up, guys passing right thru each other, floating npc, and I only played for 30 mins...

I swear to god this is so ps2 lvl shit here (not saying graphics are ps2 quality just bugs).

Raven77

Does this game have a day / night cycle or is the time fixed? Does the weather ever change? Are there worthwhile things to collect in the environment that ARENT shown on the screen? As in, legit secret things to find?

I really like games where I can explore interesting and beautiful environments. I don't like games that show me where everything is and I just go find it. No sense of discovery there.

Well, I got it. After seeing the reviews and the micro-transaction bullshit I was going to cancel my pre-order, but when I worked out the math it was better for me if I just bought it. I paid $40 for it and I also get a $10 gift certificate for Best Buy because I pre-ordered, effectively making this $30 for me. I feel dirty for even doing that, because I have no intention of purchasing a Ubisoft product for a long time. Fuck them. I'm going to beat this and sell it immediately for $40 back to BB and I'll make a profit that I can use to go towards Dragon Age. Hell, the only reason I bought this is to make the week go by faster leading up to DA:I.

I've played about an hour so far, which is barely enough to make a first impression. That first impression is horrible, though. I personally don't care too much if a game decides to go with 30fps over 60. A locked 30 is 100% fine by me. This game doesn't even have that. So far it feels like I've been playing a 20fps game and it's choppy as hell. I'm struggling to find the right word to describe the pop-in in the very first few chase sequences. Abysmal? Something along those lines. These crowds they're so proud of flicker in and out of existence constantly. That and the framerate combined are making my eyes hurt. How the FUCK could they ship a game in a state like this? I don't even know. The game doesn't even look that good if I'm being honest, so I don't know why it struggles so much to run decently on the PS4. The lighting's great, but overall Black Flag was a lot more impressive. Especially since it ran smoothly. Oh, and I like the music a lot. It's got that going for it.

They better fucking patch this nonsense.

stufte

Does this game have a day / night cycle or is the time fixed? Does the weather ever change? Are there worthwhile things to collect in the environment that ARENT shown on the screen? As in, legit secret things to find?

it doesn't have an active day/night cycle. it changes per mission, but you can change it if you'd like in the games settings.

Dahbomb

Combat is still a joke as is the window for the "perfect parry".

I can dispatch 5 guys surrounding me with ease. The only difficult part is dealing with enemies who shoot with their guns. That is really annoying but if they don't have gunners the combat is easy as fuck.

Still not as bad as previous AC games where you could dispatch 15 guys by just countering them.

fsOzJh0.jpg
I've been just staring at this for a good minute and decided to screencap and show here. Look at how fucking ugly this is. The compression on the PS4 screenshot makes it worse, but I promise you the game looks almost as bad as this on my 1080p TV. Just a lot sharper.

What the fuck, Ubisoft? Look at that crowd. Look at everything.

Lrrr

I just popped into this thread to get impressions and saw this...

It's really a mixed bag so far: I love the setting and the scope of the game but the frame rate issues and the secondary currency really annoy me.

Whoa, wait a second. By "secondary currency", do you mean microtransactions? Because AC games always had one currency and that's the gold coins you looted throughout the game (pick pocketing, dead bodies, chests, etc.).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Devs were cheating at e3. They were wearing the upgraded version of the default outfit.

Whoa, wait a second. By "secondary currency", do you mean microtransactions? Because AC games always had one currency and that's the gold coins you looted throughout the game (pick pocketing, dead bodies, chests, etc.).

Some chests are locked by some currency gotten from the tie in mobile game (that can be bought using "microtransactions")
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=930892

Phionoxx

Is it just me or can you not elect to fight just with your hidden blade anymore? Ie. Unequip any weapon so you have just your fists (so you can do disarms) or the hidden blade. That's been a feature of every game. Did they get rid of that? I loved fighting bare handed or just with the hidden blade.

Nah, there's extra stuff too, like Assassin Marks or whatever you call it. It's like Destiny.

And yeah, there's also Microtransactions.

bargeparty

Traversal in this game is still garbage. Why does running cause you to latch on and climb things? I thought the point of adding the free run button was to resolve that?

sobaka770

Banned
Just wanted to share some early impressions.

Playing on PC. GTX970, 3970K, 16Gb RAM, 1080p, Eizo 120Hz monitor, nothing OCed. The game runs at 45-60 FPS all maxed out with FXAA antialiasing. It runs at 30-50 FPS with TXAA. If you only care about 30FPS you can max it out, otherwise FXAA does a good job. It does add some blur, but without it the jaggies are everywhere.

The game looks PHENOMENAL. I don't know why people keep taking the worst possible angle screenshots and post them for scrutiny. During average gameplay, when you stand still in the street or just walk around, the lighting, the textures, the feel are truly a next-gen experience. This game on PC shits over Black Flag. You can take a lot of blurry crappy screenshots in the game, but in my opinion, the guy who started the leaked screenshots should be banned. Those were not representative of the final product. In motion, this is a thing of beauty and it is probably the best-looking game ever at this point.

That is until you start running and notice that the pop-in is everywere and it is horrible. I'm the guy who usually doesn't care about this stuff, but I run this thing all maxed and with crisp resolution it's jarring that people appear 20 meters ahead of you and get extra clothes just as you approach them. It's jarring because there is no need for this. Sometimes the game would show huge crowds altogether, yet you can walk in an empty street and have a small group appear out of thin air in front of your eyes. When you run around the city, it totally breaks the immersion and has to be patched.

Another things that bothers me is the jumping. They are not just floaty, they feel unnatural. When running on the rooftops, Arnaud will get pulled towards objects clearly out of his reach. Once again, it breaks the sense of realism, which the game otherwise does brilliantly.

I've just started this game, but if Ubisoft irons out the performance drops and the pop-in, this is GOTY material.

PS. Yes, Ubisoft is being unreasonably greedy for having in-game purchases and in-app purchases. This content should be available to everyone. Screw them and screw them for not giving this game a 6-month Watch-Dogs polish break to make a legendary game. It's there, under a layer of issues.

Catdaddy

Fun game, not sure what others are seeing compared to me; but I like it.. After reading GAF comments guess I need to buy the asbestos flame suit, but whatever...

The comments put it on Colonial Marine bad but, whatever; to each his own.

I've been just staring at this for a good minute and decided to screencap and show here. Look at how fucking ugly this is. The compression on the PS4 screenshot makes it worse, but I promise you the game looks almost as bad as this on my 1080p TV. Just a lot sharper.

What the fuck, Ubisoft? Look at that crowd. Look at everything.

THAT'S PS4?! Looks like a PS2 game wtf.

This game looks great.

But oh my god the frame rate is SO fucking bad.

Huh, I'm having the opposite problem on PC. Framerate is fine, but the game looks like crap. Not only are the technical aspects like textures and pop-in bad, but also touches like NPC's clipping through each other. And what happened to the way our character could meld and flow through crowds? In this game I just sort of bounce off of them as I pinball my way through.

AC IV was so great. What happened?

These embedded microtransactions are the final kick to the nuts.

The reaction here is mildly confusing, if I'm honest. All of the Ubi BS that encases the game like the microtransactions and money issues are absolutely deplorable from the business side, but on my rig it's pretty beautiful game. Absolutely unacceptable performance on console, but it looks and runs so much better than Black Flag.

The reaction here is mildly confusing, if I'm honest. All of the Ubi BS that encases the game like the microtransactions and money issues are absolutely deplorable from the business side, but on my rig it's pretty beautiful game. Absolutely unacceptable performance on console, but it looks and runs so much better than Black Flag.

This runs better than Black Flag on PC? Maybe there's hope yet for my 7850 (which is what I played BF on).

During average gameplay, when you stand still in the street or just walk around, the lighting, the textures, the feel are truly a next-gen experience. This game on PC shits over Black Flag.

I've just started this game, but if Ubisoft irons out the performance drops and the pop-in, this is GOTY material.

suicide.gif

HOLY ASS BASKET SHIT CASTLE!!!... you mean to tell me that despite this morning GAFapocalypse (which is on-going)... people actually enjoy the game....?

never would have thought actually playing the game would be a better metric for enjoyment than reading rage posts.

Live and learn.

Leeness

HOLY ASS BASKET SHIT CASTLE!!!... you mean to tell me that despite this morning GAFapocalypse (which is on-going)... people actually enjoy the game....?

never would have thought actually playing the game would be a better metric for enjoyment than reading rage posts.

Live and learn.

I know. It's weird, right.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
About to do my first blackbox mission. Will edit this post as I go along.

EDIT:Went into a beautiful co-op focused mission instead. These cutscenes are amazing looking, sometimes i can't believe that these aren't prerendered/CGI

murgo

Jesus.. those glitches. I just managed to get caught inside a wall. After jumping around for a bit I fell through the floor and eventually desynchronized. Ubi, FIX THIS SHIT! And fix the godawful framerate while you're at it.

Still love the game :)

Dead

well not really...yet
I thought time of day does not change? I did a coop mission, finished and it was night

Also got Edwards outfit. Looks way better than in black flag lol

Ledhead

Played a few more hours, still really enjoying this. Yeah, the tech issues kind of suck, and micro transactions are fucking BS, but at least micro transactions are easy to ignore. I really like what they did with gear, actually feels like you can purchase stuff around your own play style as opposed to simply getting a bigger health bar.

Skux

The chests are unlocked by playing a free app. You don't have to spend money to open them.

This is correct - the $2.20ish microtransaction is just to get the "premium" version of the app, which (surprise surprise) increases the currency you get for doing missions in the app, technically making unlocking the chests in Unity faster.

Man, this game isn't trash, but it's in such a subpar state that it never should have been released.

Mission design is pretty bad and seems like it was never really playtested. It's glitchy as fuck, performance is terrible, it feels really half-baked.

There's a base here that could have been used for something greater and was seemingly squandered. It's not shovelware, but it's not up to the fairly mediocre standards I have for this series these days.

Ricker

Played a few more hours, still really enjoying this. Yeah, the tech issues kind of suck, and micro transactions are fucking BS, but at least micro transactions are easy to ignore. I really like what they did with gear, actually feels like you can purchase stuff around your own play style as opposed to simply getting a bigger health bar.

Yep game is pretty fun so far,and the Micro thing even then,if you do the Initiate thing on UPlay,it unlocks them for you I think...I clicked on that and saw that I could activate it through UPlay but didnt want to deal with that now...maybe I will later.

Changed my PS4 to french and immersion is even better lol...

theDeeDubs

The technical issues are unfortunate because I think they really made a great AC game here. Loving it despite all the issues. Loved the first rift setting.

I normally dont care at all about frame rate. But I just got to my first point where it was pretty much unplayable. Funny enough, its the part they have demoed at like every event. It went down to a straight up slide show and stayed there for about a minute, I just ended up not doing anything and dying to restart checkpoint. On ps4 btw

Dead

well not really...yet
I kinda wish your headquarters was located in a separate map from Paris. It's the closest theyve made to the villa since AC2 just wish it was a bit more isolated.

I normally dont care at all about frame rate. But I just got to my first point where it was pretty much unplayable. Funny enough, its the part they have demoed at like every event. It went down to a straight up slide show and stayed there for about a minute, I just ended up not doing anything and dying to restart checkpoint. On ps4 btw

Framerate doesn't affect me much either, but with this game it's so damn bad it ruins a bunch of moments.

Top Bottom