• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight On PC Is Not Very Good [UP: WB suspends future sales until fix]

Who is responsible for this mess of a port?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Rocksteady are certainly capable, and I don't why they wouldn't be willing to, unless they had some severe constraints. Would've been a far better port, like the first two of their Arkham games.

IIrc Rocksteady has close to 100 employees which is a small number for a huge game like AK. My guess is that they didn't have the resources to develop a PC port alongside the console versions or it was a low priority for them so WB decided to outsource it to some cheap D-tier developer

Blobbers

Wouldn't it be funny if The Witcher 3 with no DRM outsold Arkham Knight on PC by like tenfold? I think it would be funny. It'll never happen, but I think it would be funny.

Angry Fork

Some of the reactions here are intense hyperbole imo. People throw around words like atrocious and terrible way too easily. There are varying degrees of PC ports, the options aren't just perfection and the worst thing ever. Bad PC ports are ones like deadly premonition which is almost unplayable at times. This is something in the middle, not even.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I messed with both 1080p and 1440p. Knew something was off and started seeing the feedback on GAF last night. Played for only an hour and said screw it and am just gonna keep playing Witcher till this is hopefully somewhat fixed. If that ever happens I guess.

Yeah this is probably the best route, no sense in playing a game I know runs like shit until it gets fixed, if it gets fixed. I still need to finish Fallout 3 anyways.

Was on the fence until recently, but after today that free Nvidia code went straight to Ebay.

Shit port, canceled CE and 2 weeks late LE. Fuck ups everywhere, very surprising for such a high-profile release.

Dave Lang runs Iron Galaxy and is pals with the Giant Bomb crew. On their final E3 live show, Johnny V (who works for Disney) tweeted out Dave's phone number and hilarity ensued (as did drama and hurt feelings).

eac34eecc29e2cc271ce4dfeb80d6825.png

Everyone's still ok! Well Johnny V might have someone else running his Twitter now, but no bridges were burned.

SlickVic

Is this...easily fixable?

I don't think anyone can give you a great answer to that unless we could take a look at the code and see for ourselves what's causing these issues.

But the fact that we didn't get a "oh whoops, we accidentally put an old build up on Steam, here's the correct one" probably means it's not a trivial issue and there's something decently involved that's going on

Dr. Kaos

Banned
it's been coming a while, ever since cerny dropped the mic and unloaded 8GBs of GDDR5 on the gaming universe, it was only a matter of time before devs really got to grips with HUMA and the PS4 would begin to blaze a trail that even the highest end PC would struggle to match.

don't blame the guys at iron galaxy for attempting to accomplish an impossible task. like carmack said, coding to the metal will always yield atleast 2x the performance, and i don't see many graphics cards with 16GB of RAM out there.

Exactly. Even the Titan X is only 12GB. It's a miracle a 980ti with only 6GB can come close to a PS4, even with all those effects turned off.

Cerny is a god.

MDSLKTR

Ran to Walmart to get a ps4 copy this morning. I'll just consider my pc copy as an investment for the future.

The game is not a locked 60fps on the 980ti. You didn't show me anything. I have the card sitting in my PC as we speak and AK hitches and drops frames all the times. I don't understand why you are defending this port
I never said it was a locked 60, I think you're confusing my posts for another.
Bro just stop. You're seriously embarrassing yourself.
Ah so you have a 970! That explains it. Seriously though, if you think that 970 is going to serve you well until this time next year then I have some news for you. I had a 970 for ONE day before I returned it because I knew that 3.5 thing would be an issue, as has been proven today.
There's a 100 fucking page thread full of people having issues, but of course you seems a video so you know what the fuck you're talking about.

The PC performance thread is twice the size of the OT for christ sake.
PC gamers are very vocal. Especially when they feel they've been cheated in favor of consoles. And the people in the OT are actually playing the game..

Akronis

Ah so you have a 970! That explains it. Seriously though, if you think that 970 is going to serve you well until this time next year then I have some news for you. I had a 970 for ONE day before I returned it because I knew that 3.5 thing would be an issue, as has been proven today.

I have two GTX 980s.

PC gamers are very vocal. Especially when they feel they've been cheated in favor of consoles. And the people in the OT are actually playing the game..
I got douche chills from this post

Its true what they say.

On GAF there is a defense force for everything.

MattyG

Banned
You do realize that even people with Titan's are having massive issues as well? You're trying to turn this into a "I was right about the 970!" party when in all actuality it's a "this is a really fucking shitty port" situation.

Some of the reactions here are intense hyperbole imo. People throw around words like atrocious and terrible way too easily. There are varying degrees of PC ports, the options aren't just perfection and the worst thing ever. Bad PC ports are ones like deadly premonition which is almost unplayable at times. This is something in the middle, not even.

Bruh, people couldn't play the game for hours after all files inexplicably being deleted, crashes, single digit framerates, and more. Some people, a few, haven't had catastrophic problems. If that means it's not atrocious, well then this launch has been just fine

baphomet

Except it hasn't. I'm playing this perfectly fine between 45-110fps maxed out with a 970.

You do realize that even people with Titan's are having massive issues as well? You're trying to turn this into a "I was right about the 970!" party when in all actuality it's a "this is a really fucking shitty port" situation.

You can have 4-way SLI Titan X and you'll still have less AO and rain than the PS4.

Lulubop

No it's atrocious. It's like an incomplete build. Missing graphical effects is the least of it's problems, but yea it's missing graphical effects. In addition to the stuttering occurring on almost everyone's set up. The Memory leaks, the inconsistent frame-rate, the fact that you have to go into the ini. files to unlock the frame rate. Not to mention this is a fucking pack in for Nvidia's flagship cards.

What was Deadly Premonition or DS missing that the console versions had?

Its true what they say.

On GAF there is a defense force for everything.
Lol.
I responded to one dude that said that the console versions have a better experience due to two graphical effects missing, I acknowledge that it's a disappointing port, and that's me being a defense force. Alright dude.
A regular Titan? Not surprised. That card has aged horribly. I should know, I had an SC one prior to the 970. The Witcher 3 showed me I needed to upgrade, the 970 showed it wasn't up to snuff, and the 980 did.
Except it hasn't. I'm playing this perfectly fine between 45-110fps maxed out with a 970.
Alright well I stand corrected. The vast majority of complaints I saw over the past 24 hours were from 970 owners.
Again, I want to reiterate that I do think it's a disappointing port. But people saying it is inherently worse than the console versions or worse than the Saints Row 2 PC port need to sit down and chill out.

Seems like the port has treated me better than most... It's *mostly* playable for me. But super inconsistent. Running between 40-60 with major fluctuations. I have everything on high with Gameworks on for everything except the smoke. Mostly because it doesn't seem to impact performance.

It seems like the biggest problem is with the way the engine streams. When I'm indoors or staying in the same area for a fight it hangs at or near 60. It's when I'm driving or gliding, no matter what the settings are, that it drops closer to 40.

Mononoke

Banned

But this is a major release and this isn't really acceptable at launch. So of course tons of people will be angry.

Preordered on GMG and redeemed my code last night to preload. What a fucking joke. I was about to buy a 980 for this, too. How the fuck does this happen?

NIN90

Lol.
I responded to one dude that said that the console versions have a better experience due to two graphical effects missing, I acknowledge that it's a disappointing port, and that's me being a defense force. Alright dude.

Do the console versions also grind to a halt by literally dropping to 1 fps every few seconds while driving the Batmobile?

hamchan

What. This is easily deserving of the words "atrocious" and "terrible".

Lol.

You have done nothing from the beginning but basically down play every post in this thread about various things unless it serves your own made up narrative.

Game doesn't run smooth? Get a 980ti!!! (I have one. Its not smooth.)
Game doesn't run well? You must have a 970! It sucks! (Card is above the recommended specs)

Listen, I'm sure your a great dude or gal, and a solid poster. But your totally off base in this thread. The PC port is shit

My 970 came with this game for free...

You don't generally pack in games that won't even run right on the card you're buying lol

Angry Fork

Bruh, people couldn't play the game for hours after all files inexplicably being deleted, crashes, single digit framerates, and more. Some people, a few, haven't had catastrophic problems. If that means it's not atrocious, well then this launch has been just fine

Fair enough, people who've gone through that should definitely be upset. But people raging at something like a 30fps cap that you can unlock in a file is a bit much. Yes it shouldn't be capped and people shouldn't have to do that, but it takes 30 seconds.

The PC version should be better than consoles, and missing graphical effects in comparison should be inexcusable, but I wouldn't tell people not to play it just because of that.

The performance issues/framerate dips while gliding people are getting are the worst thing to me and need to be fixed.

A lot of people can't even launch the game because of the DRM.

Please tell me how a game that literally can't function isn't as bad as the "almost-unplayable" Deadly Premonition.

Lulubop

Fair enough, people who've gone through that should definitely be upset. But people raging at something like a 30fps cap that you can unlock in a file is a bit much. Yes it shouldn't be capped and people shouldn't have to do that, but it takes 30 seconds.

The PC version should be better than consoles, and missing graphical effects in comparison should be inexcusable, but I wouldn't tell people not to play it just because of that.

The performance issues/framerate dips while gliding people are getting are the worst thing to me and need to be fixed.

And that's in addition to the rest of the stuff mentioned. Absolutely atrocious.

As I pointed out earlier I can't even launch a game I spent 53 bucks on, and I have no idea why. But ok.

MUnited83

For you.
This port is almost unplayable at times more frequent than even Deadly Premonition, so....

780 overclocked, i5-4670k overclocked and a SSD.

Capped it at 30fps, turned all the special stuff on and haven't had issues in the first hour. Meh, it's not perfect but it's running at 1080p and I can play the game. I only paid $36, so I'm not furious, still wish it was better.

SlickVic

It's unfortunate we'll probably never get the full story of what went wrong here. I'm curious whether Rocksteady ever had plans to do the PC version themselves. The game went through an 8 month delay presumably with some major development challenges to go along with that. I wonder if at some point Rocksteady thought if they had to get the game out by June they didn't have the time to work on a PC version and pawned it off to someone else while they put all their effort into completing the console versions; which seems to have worked out very well for the PS4 version.

Still, it's kind of amazing that WB/Rocksteady didn't seem to bother to do any proper QA or oversight on what Iron Galaxy was doing with the PC version. Even when Steam refunds got announced, it seems like no one seemed to care that this could potentially hurt all their preorder sales. It's also odd that they didn't just opt to delay the PC version by a month as they did with prior PC releases to at least try to ship it out in a somewhat respectable manner. Sounds like the higher ups were completely oblivious, didn't care, or perhaps a bit of both.

rjc571

Banned
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd here come the excuses for WB / Rocksteady / Iron Galaxy

Not at all, I'm not a fan of this series or the developer but I don't think the exclusion of a barely noticeable graphical effect is anything worth getting up in arms over. The performance and DRM issues sound inexcusable, however.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It really sucks for everyone who got this on PC, but really folks this is why you shouldn't ever pre-order.

Yep. I got sucked in by the 40% off deal with no sales tax at GMG, but I wish I didn't.

All I can do now is hope that one day it gets fixed. I'm certainly not playing it until then. Sucks, man.

LOL no way would the vast majority of players ever notice that if it wasn't pointed out to them.

Maybe not those specific items, but I immediately noticed how flat the game's lighting looked. The lack of AO is very apparent. The AO that does exist seems to be buggy and flickers like crazy. It's fucking ugly and noticeable.

Lulubop

Not at all, I'm not a fan of this series or the developer but I don't think the exclusion of a barely noticeable graphical effect is anything worth getting up in arms over. The performance and DRM issues sound inexcusable, however.

AO especially good AO like the kinda Nvidia implements is incredibly noticeable and one of my absolute favorite graphical effects.

CaLe

What a shitty ass horrible port. And honestly, the graphics are not that amazing, it's a blurry aliased mess.

Top Bottom