• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Expendables 2 Rated PG-13 (Because Chuck Norris loves the kids?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really care whether they swear in EX2. But if it's PG-13, surely that means the violence has been toned down as well? There was some fairly gory stuff in EX1, like a dude's entire torso getting blown off in the opening scene.

The big thing will be if they had PG13 in mind from the start, if they shot thinking it was going to be an R then they will have to do wonders in editing.

Realyst

This is a GREAT idea!

Afterall, RoboCop 3 is waaaay better than RoboCop 2, right? Going down to PG-13 from R actually saved that franchise! The same happened for Die Hard, and look at where it is now! I'm sure that no perceived quality will be lost. Oh, and derp.

Such a weird statement:

I'm not OK with kids hearing fowl language. I AM OK with kids watching people get shot to death and murdered in the most over the top ways.

Graphically shooting a guy in the head < Swearing < Nudity

Got it!

"the swearing is real, the killing, etc is just special fx and props!"

I couldn't care less what the rating is as long as it is a good movie. I do not have high hopes though, especially after watching the first... what a mess and bore.
Funny how all those action stars in the first could not save the movie. Plus Jet Li's role was super derogatory towards Asians and not in a funny satirical way either.

FyreWulff

Maybe it's just the swearing that was cut while the violence is still intact.

Just saying 'fuck' gets you anything but a PG rating or something.

That's probably what they mostly just did. You can be violent as fuck and get PG-13 and even PG.

From what I remember when Live Free Or Die Hard was about to come out, Bruce Willis was talking about how backwards the ratings board is, and that they were basically allotted two "fuck"s and the movie stays PG-13. Say fuck three times, R. I wouldn't doubt it's like LFoDH where they film it as an R and edit it to PG13 for an 'unrated' version later.

Either way, the studio did this, not Norris. Studios will make any R rated movie into PG-13 if they can edit it to get to the rating. All it's really going to do in the end is make PG-13 into R-lite if they keep doing it.

This is a GREAT idea!

Afterall, RoboCop 3 is waaaay better than RoboCop 2, right? Going down to PG-13 from R actually saved that franchise! The same happened for Die Hard, and look at where it is now! I'm sure that no perceived quality will be lost. Oh, and derp.

You are so right. It placates the audience who don't normally go to see these films and probably still won't and it angers the fans by neutering the action scenes and adult language. Recipe for success.

I am more concerned for lack of violence a PG-13 rating would mean. There was an early rumor that the first film was going to be PG-13 as well, and then people got all up in arms about it and it ended up being rated R. I sort of believe the first film was shot with the possibility of being PG-13 because all of the blood was digital (which I hate). I don't buy this rumor though, other than maybe they did remove some swearing for Chuck, which would be bullshit. The core audience for this film is going to be older men who grew up watching these actors 20 years ago, in mostly R-rated films no less. And the first film already proved it could be successful with an R rating.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Lame if it turns out to be true. Would rather not see him in the movie if that's the case.

Adult language doesn't actually add anything to a movie 99% of the time, so I don't really see a problem with this.

Then again, I'm not the target market for these movies, so my opinion on the topic might not be the most relevant.

It makes the throwback feel more like a throwback. The cursing, the over the top violence, the machismo, The first expendables had it and it felt like I was back in the heyday of the headliners. A downgraded rating is not for language alone, they also have to cutback the gratuitous violence which is basically what the fans are expecting.

Movie series that are based around violence then downgrades in their sequels never seem to turn out well. As mentioned before, Robocop, die hard, and Terminator to name a few have had horrible entries after the downgrade.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
But what about the 1%?

5183686961_035d1e01f2_z.jpg

This scene was absolutely pivotal because it marked the turning point of your understanding of the character: Yes it was an unthinking robot, but it was also a dick.

El'Kharn

ru·mor [roo-mer]
noun
a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts: a rumor of war.
gossip; hearsay: Don't listen to rumor.
Archaic . a continuous, confused noise; clamor; din.
verb (used with object)
to circulate, report, or assert by a rumor: It is rumored that the king is dead.

Calm down.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I'm more surprised that the offensiveness of his toupee doesn't make the film deserve an R rating. They can shucks and darn all they want through EX 2, but that roadkill he wears on his head causes me to throw up a little everytime I see him and "it" anywhere near my TV...

CassSept

I don't really know how exactly the American film ratings work, but all he says is that due to his pressure the language (and corresponding film studios agreed with him) had been toned down because they don't fit his moral code. And the source quoted is completely wrong, but that's beside the point.

PG13 is my only nitpicking about Nolan's movies. Unlike Nolan's movies, I wasn't going to watch this movie for the story but for the action.

PG13 on a movie that's destined to have a shitty story? Pass...

legend166

America is so weird. This old fart would rather kids saw people being stabbed and exploded than hear a few shits and fucks? I get that a lower rating = a wider audience, but it's still lame.

Not making a judgement either way, but if you look at it from their perspective, there is some logic.

Some people find words offensive. A word being spoken in a movie is still a word. To the person who finds it offensive, it's basically exactly the same as hearing it in real life. So the offensiveness of it isn't lessened.

Violence in films, though, is complete fake. There's obviously a huge difference between real violence and fictionalised violence.

When someone screams obscenities in a movie, they are still screaming obscenities. When someone stabs another dude in the face in a movie, they aren't actually stabbing a dude in the face.

I imagine that's the reasoning.

Ehh I never liked Chuck Norris, this confirms it. But I doubt he had that much power over Stallone/studio's decision here lol.

Oh and what a fucking disappointment. All the 80s action stars...in a modern shitjob pg action film. Somebody spring Mctiernan out of jail and ask him to save us.

Ehh I never liked Chuck Norris, this confirms it. But I doubt he had that much power over Stallone/studio's decision here lol.

Oh and what a fucking disappointment. All the 80s action stars...in a modern shitjob pg action film. Somebody spring Mctiernan out of jail and ask him to save us.

All the people in the 80's are in their teen, man!

Oh wait... Talk about getting your target audience wrong lol. No 13 yr old will know a single actor in this movie. What a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom