• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 Network Stress Test client available to download on NA PSN

When will the servers go live ?

Asia (Japan)
Test #1 Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. JST
Test #2 Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. JST
Test #3 Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. JST

Oceania
Test #1 Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
Test #2 Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
Test #3 Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST

Americas
Test #1 Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. PDT
Test #2 Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. PDT
Test #3 Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. PDT

I'm sure everything will go smoothly as always

rf0cGZT.gif

Don't they just have to make an update with a login process to prevent non-lottery winners?

"just"

Asia (Japan)
Test #1 Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. JST
Test #2 Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. JST
Test #3 Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. JST

Oceania
Test #1 Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
Test #2 Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
Test #3 Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST

Americas
Test #1 Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. PDT
Test #2 Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. PDT
Test #3 Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. PDT

I'm sure everything will go smoothly as always

rf0cGZT.gif

What about the Europes though?

I was able to nab the stress test client while it was up and can listen to the theme in the main menu, does that mean I'm in? I hope they don't have any type of web authentication past having to get the client lol.

konjak

Do enlighten me instead of being an asshole. Nothing is ever made better by telling those who don't know that they're stupid, then walking away. Surely they did not intend for just any North American to play this, considering the lottery process. What's so impossible about it? I don't personally care what happens, just suggesting the possibility that, once online, they could have some sort of check.

You could've meant in a "don't ruin it" way, which would be nicer.

finalflame

Do enlighten me instead of being an asshole. Nothing is ever made better by telling those who don't know that they're stupid, then walking away. Surely they did not intend for just any North American to play this, considering the lottery process. What's so impossible about it? I don't personally care what happens, just suggesting the possibility that, once online, they could have some sort of check.

You could've meant in a "don't ruin it" way, which would be nicer.

Part of the problem is that people think doing anything in terms of software development is trivial. They should "just" do this is usually said by people that have no idea how much additional work it would take to create an entire backend system in the client that checks PSN auth/user against a database of pre-selected PSN UIDs on their side. They could be a number of technical or logistical hurdles to getting that to work if it's not what they intended on doing to begin with (e.g., if the original plan was to just give out unique keys to download the client, with no additional authentication necessary).

At that point, it wouldn't be worth the additional effort of adding authentication to the client, because doing so doesn't mean just dragging and dropping a box into a window. I'm sure their developers have much more important things to be working on with the release of the game just a few months away. Nobody knows how open the PS4's OS and PSN API is to easily "authenticate" someone for a beta, and how flexible their client is to add this functionality. It seems most company just give out unique download codes.

There's reason to believe this would be just like the DkS2 stress test, where if you have the client, you're gonna be able to login and play.

konjak

Part of the problem is that people think doing anything in terms of software development is trivial. They should "just" do this is usually said by people that have no idea how much additional work it would take to create an entire backend system in the client that checks PSN auth/user against a database of pre-selected PSN UIDs on their side. They could be a number of technical or logistical hurdles to getting that to work if it's not what they intended on doing to begin with (e.g., if the original plan was to just give out unique keys to download the client, with no additional authentication necessary).

At that point, it wouldn't be worth the additional effort of adding authentication to the client, because doing so doesn't mean just dragging and dropping a box into a window. I'm sure their developers have much more important things to be working on with the release of the game just a few months away. Nobody knows how open the PS4's OS and PSN API is to easily "authenticate" someone for a beta, and how flexible their client is to add this functionality. It seems most company just give out unique download codes.

There's reason to believe this would be just like the DkS2 stress test, where if you have the client, you're gonna be able to login and play.

Alright, thanks. I'm quite familiar with making games hah (but I haven't done server authentication, etc), but I didn't know how the previous test worked, and I was acting on the assumption that they'd either be adamant not this many people could play it so the effort would be worth it, or they do indeed have this in place already (and I would assume you'd get a code in the mail that you enter, not actual communication with PSN servers). Neither is impossible, but they're unlikely. I just would rather have better replies.

finalflame

Alright, thanks. I'm quite familiar with making games hah (but I haven't done server authentication, etc), but I didn't know how the previous test worked, and I was acting on the assumption that they'd either be adamant not this many people could play it so the effort would be worth it, or they do indeed have this in place already (and I would assume you'd get a code in the mail that you enter, not actual communication with PSN servers). Neither is impossible, but they're unlikely. I just would rather have better replies.

Oh, totally. I wasn't saying you said anything wrong, just trying to give better context as to why they might not bother changing anything if it wasn't meant to be user auth anyways. I think if they really want to lock people out, they'll just release an updated client version and not auto-update any of the already downloaded clients. This seems likely if they want to be strict with the lottery.

That said, I think last time (DkS2), they sent out the same code to everyone, and someone posted it publicly so pretty much anyone could download the client, or the first X amount of people or the likes. I don't think anything was done by them to address that.

Rush_Khan

I think the fact that a lot of people downloaded the client early means that those who are waiting are less likely to get an email. I'm pretty sure the only reason they're doing a lottery is to limit the number of people playing the game and testing the network load.

I guess it depends on the number of people who already downloaded the client. I still hope I get an email :(

Stimpack

Yeah, you're almost definitely in. I can't think of any beta that I've played that checks for PSN IDs. When my brother or I get into a beta, both of our PSNs always work.

Great news, thanks! If they end up sending me a code, I'll be sure to throw it your way if you need it.

I think the fact that a lot of people downloaded the client early means that those who are waiting are less likely to get an email. I'm pretty sure the only reason they're doing a lottery is to limit the number of people playing the game and testing the network load.

I guess it depends on the number of people who already downloaded the client. I still hope I get an email :(

i doubt the number of downloads was high and i also doubt theyd change the amount of codes that will be going out, unless it was fully advertised only a relativity minor number would get the chance to download it.

Hi Guys,what's going on, what's the latest?
I got the download installed ...but never sign up since the website didn't show the apply button.Will I still get to play? each time i launch the beta I get the title music but the game wont work due to sever not connecting issue,I'm sure I have to try it during the
dates below right?

Tuesday, October 13th, 2015 at 3:00 a.m. CEST (planned)
Tuesday, October 13th, 2015 at 1:00 a.m. GMT (planned)
Monday, October 12th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. PDT (planned)

I hope I get to play it today :)

Oh man, the NA testing times are when I'll be out of town for a goddamn wedding. Unless they have an additional testing period I can participate in I'll probably just delete it now to free up space :\

Also got a Japanese code. Could anyone with an NA code confirm that the code only gives you the client download? If that's the case, it seems to me that just having the client is what gets you in (which is good for those who got the client early)

Hikami

I don't think NA codes have gone out yet, checking the site for selection results still gives you this.

Just redeemed the code for the JP test and all it did was allow me to download the client. So yeah.. I'm thinking the people who already downloaded it should be able to get in.

Also got a Japanese code. Could anyone with an NA code confirm that the code only gives you the client download? If that's the case, it seems to me that just having the client is what gets you in (which is good for those who got the client early)

They also never took the client off PSN, only disabled the link. I DLed the client last night after "buying" it the other day. I just got accepted to the Japanese beta too so hopefully this means we can share extra codes.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
UK code delivered up in this bitch, YAH BOIIIIIIII~

This weekend, the hunt begins. Soulsborne: The Bloodening.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Do you need PSN+ for this if you're picked?

Top Bottom