• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Opening Cinematic]

Nere

BB had the vets from DS1 working on it with a few of the new guys they hired when they were doing DS2 pitching in.

However as Miyazaki said most of those lead designers are not working on DS3. Just Himself and some art designers that helped with Bloodborne. So it's almost certainly majority DS2 team. At least lead design wise.

For example From's veteran lead programmer Jun Ito who had worked along side Miyazaki since Demon's Souls isn't on DS3, but Yui Tanimura the DS2 clean up Director is.

Hopefully the new guys have learned alot since DS2 and can really slow they've got what it takes to make am engaging Souls game. I'm sure Miyazaki is giving them sound advice along the way.

In interested to know what those other guys are concocting behind the scenes though. Perhaps BB2?

Tbh compared to the base game the DS2 dlc were all 3 of them a vast improvement. I think they certainly learnt.

Persona7

Banned
I don't understand where the "a team did bloodborne" thing is coming from. Look at the credits from Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne and compare names. Most of the DS2 team rolled into Bloodborne after they were done.

Gbraga

By the way, Miyazaki himself was surprised to hear about the "Miyazaki touch," he didn't really think it was a thing.

That's interesting. Do you have a link to this interview?

Tbh compared to the base game the DS2 dlc were all 3 of them a vast improvement. I think they certainly learnt.

Ivory King was... not as good. In my opinion, of course.

Manu

That's interesting. Do you have a link to this interview?

It’s a line of thinking that says a Dark Souls game lacks that something special if you’re not directly involved with it. Dark Souls 2, for example, is a great game, but didn’t have the magic of the first. It lacked the Miyazaki Touch, which elevates the design of a Souls game. How does that make you feel? Knowing that your involvement in the franchise is that important to fans?

I knew that my way of designing a game had unique direction to it, but after hearing there’s an actual term called “The Miyazaki Touch,” it’s a little scary. Dark Souls 3 will be unique, it’ll have unique level design and gameplay design because of the Miyazaki Touch, but now I am a little bit worried about whether that term will still be used positively or become negative after the game’s released.

I’m surprised you haven’t heard of it, it’s a very common shorthand for describing the unique qualities of Miyazaki’s games among fans. It’s definitely used positively at the moment. It’s an imperceptible magic, kind of like Disney’s; anyone can make an animated feature, but only Disney can make a Disney film.

Wow. If that’s the case, I’ll have to work hard to make sure that “Miyazaki Touch” continues to be used in a positive way then. I’m aware that the way I give direction to the team when working on a game is a little bit different from other people. I call it “total direction,” which means I get complete control of how the game is made, not only with regards to the level design, but also the background music, sound effects, and everything else. I think that may give it a unique quality.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-3-interview-this-is-a-turning-point-for/1100-6429569/

I definitely felt his absence in Dark Souls 2, though I still enjoyed the game. This one could be spectacular, though. I have a very good feeling about it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That actually explains why a guy like Sakuraba can create such amazing tracks at times, and lame ass tracks at other times (Like, A *lot* of Tales tracks). Some of his DS2 tracks were kind of weak and were generally weaker than the first game's.

Kitamura's tracks were great though.

cLOUDo

I'll try my best by memory.
Feel free to contribute

The age of ancients

- Stone dragons and eternal trees ruled the land.
- The Lords find the great souls on the fire.
- The Furtive Pigmy finds the dark soul and gives birth to mankind.
- Gwyn and his knights team up with Nito and the Witch of Izalith to fight the dragons.
- Seath the scaleless tells Gwyn the dragon's weakness to lightning and betrays its own people.
- Seath is given the "duke" title by the winning Gwyn.
- The fire begins to fade, the Lords realize this would free the Abyss unto the world.
- The Witch of Izalith attempts to create a new primal fire and accidentaly gives birth to the Bed of Chaos and all demons.
- Gwyn sents Artorias to deal with the Abyss while he tries to link the fire.
- Artorias is corrupted by the Abyss and defeated by a time-traveling Chosen Undead.
- The Chosen Undead defeats Artorias, saves Sif and slays Kalameet.
- The Chosen Undead faces the Furtive Pigmy in the form of Manus and defeats him, instead of killing him, this splits his souls into many small pieces.
- Gwyn attempts to link the primal fire and becomes the Lord of Cinder.
- Gwynevere leaves Anor Londo which becomes surrounded in darkness.
- New Londo becomes engulfed in the Abyss, and it is flooded to stop the Abyss from spreading on Lordran.
- Gwyndolin and the serpent Frampt devise a plot to keep strong, souls-filled Undead to constantly link the fire. They fill Anor Londo with light to cover Gwynevere's abscence.
- The firekeepers die.

The dark age.

- The undead curse ravages humanity. Lordran falls.
- The undead are chased and sent to the Northern Undead Asylum.
- Frampt spills the legend of a "chosen undead" who will break the curse.
- The (or rather "a") Chosen Undead scapes the Asylum and makes his way to Lordran.
- The Chosen Undead obtains the Lord Souls and becomes powerful enough to challenge/sustitute Gwyn on the primal fire.
- The Chosen Undead links the fire / allows the fire to die and became a new age of darkness.

The modern age.

- The cicle of link fire/age of darkness is repeated at least 8 times.
- Kingdoms rise and die where Lordran stood. Now called Drangleic.
- A powerful undead king called Vendrick and his brother Aldia, figure out that to break the curse, an undead must harness the dark and control the fire. To do so, he needs the magical crowns. Vendrick figures out he is not the one who will break the curse, but set his way to make sure that when the correct undead comes, he finds an easier path.
- Aldia begins to experiment to resurrect the dragons, since they were ageless and Aldia thinks they are the key to break the curse.
- Vendrick travels to the sunken city of Shulva and finds the crown, but leaves it for a future undead to pick up.
- A beautiful woman called Nashandra enters Drangleic and Vendrick falls in love with her.
- The undead curse returns in strenght with Nashandra.
- Nashandra convinces Vendrick that the way to stop this, is to steal the Giant's treasure.
- Vendrick crosses the seas and steals the treasure, the Giants declare war on Drangleic.
- The Giants invade and destroy Drangleic, ravaged by war and the undead curse, Drangleic is on the verge of falling when a misterious figure (a time traveling Bearer of the Curse) appears and defeats the Giant King. Still is too late for Drangleic and the kingdom falls in ruin.
- Vendrick discovers that Nashandra is in fact a piece of Manus' soul, and puts into motion a plan to stop her from claiming the throne (which is set on the place of the primal fire).
- Vendrick hides his armor and crown on a place that only a Human can unlock, and with the last of his will, ask his right hand man Velstad to guard over him until the correct undead comes.
- The ancient Chaos resurfaces on Eleum Loyce as another of Manus's soul pieces called Alsanna enters the kingdom.
- Eleum Loyce's King and his knights valiantly stood on the way of Chaos to stop it from spreading.
- Aldia creates Shanalotte the Emerald Herald but figures out this is not the way to break the curse.
- Shanalotte becomes the last firekeeper.
- Many undead are called by instinct to Drangleic.
- The Bearer of the Curse arrives to Drangleic and Shanalotte recognizes him/her as the new monarch.
- The Bearer of the Curse defeats the Great Lord's reincarnation and becomes worthy of finding Vendrick's legacy.
- The Bearer of the Curse defeats Nashandra and Aldia and speaks with Vendrick's memory.
- The Bearer of the Curse sets his/her way to defeat all Manus' soul fragments and recover the lost crowns.
- The Bearer of the Curse finds all the crowns and succesfully breaks the curse becoming an inmortal dark king on a dying world.

There are a LOT more of events, but I'm at work!

giphy.gif

That actually explains why a guy like Sakuraba can create such amazing tracks at times, and lame ass tracks at other times (Like, A *lot* of Tales tracks). Some of his DS2 tracks were kind of weak and were generally weaker than the first game's.

Kitamura's tracks were great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPGThfD_GY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-bg-rmEF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrcmJQencc

These show you how wrong you are. Dark Souls 2 had a fantastic OST.

Ferr986

The two first (and all of the DLC music) was done by Kitamura, not Sakuraba.

Ever since the Nexus soundtrack change to balls-out church organs in Demon's Souls, I've been dying for them incorporate more of it somewhere along the line.

I'd also really love to hear a return of atypical boss music like this instead of predictably big and dramatic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA-bGE6ZFAk

Vendrick and Aldia's fight on Dark 2.
Gerhman
on Bloodborne.

My theory: the Abyss Walkers are
the Chosen Undead who opted not to rekindle the flame, and instead seek out a different way through darkness.

People criticized those parts of DS2 because the references were often shoved in your face (oh hey look you're fighting Ornstein- why? Who cares lol!) and the world design was clumsy, which cheapened the impact that callbacks had.

Agreed

Ferr986

- The Bearer of the Curse finds all the crowns and succesfully breaks the curse becoming an inmortal dark king on a dying world.

There are a LOT more of events, but I'm at work!

Even if you make the new SOTFS ending canon, I don't think the Bearer of the Curse is free from the curse. He still has to rely on the crown. The only being we can assume is free from the curse is Aldia because, well, he's a flame now.

Btw I wonder if the crown from the DS3 waifu is the same that the one of the Bearer of the curse (hence why her crown has some kind of power and that dark aura thing).

Even if you make the new SOTFS ending canon, I don't think the Bearer of the Curse is free from the curse. He still has to rely on the crown. The only being we can assume is free from the curse is Aldia because, well, he's a flame now.

Btw I wonder if the crown from the DS3 waifu is the same that the one of the Bearer of the curse (hence why her crown has some kind of power and that dark aura thing).

It looks like it!

I'm one of the few who liked DS2's lore!, I want to see how it all fits on DS3.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Correct, the Bearer still is Undead, but cannot become a Hollow anymore, thus becoming an immortal similar to Seath while he was in possesion of the Primordial Crystal. That is why i believe the Unkindled have a connection to the Bearer in some form.

Ferr986

Correct, the Bearer still is Undead, but cannot become a Hollow anymore, thus becoming an immortal similar to Seath while he was in possesion of the Primordial Crystal. That is why i believe the Unkindled have a connection to the Bearer in some form.

Isn't this only if he's wearing the crown? that's what I meant

I liked the opening starting to get pumped for this started a fresh run of dark souls 2 on ps4. Going for a caster build this time maybe I'll plat it before the US release. I wish dark souls was remastered on ps4 and demon souls never played that one.

Is it me or does this story seem like a direct sequel to 1, pretending DS2 doesn't exist? References a lot of lore terms from DS1. Didn't notice anything from 2.

I guess DS2 is just the same story in a different setting kinda.

Hyped. I'd like to pretend 2 didn't exist, and now I can!

8 hours to something.

Link

Oh..

Let's play the original Dark Souls before Dark Souls 3 comes out!
This is the live stream of Hitomi Haruna, a former member of the Takarazuka Revue, playing the original Dark Souls for the first time in her life. Watch her struggle and overcome various challenges in the game. Hope she beats the game before Dark Souls 3 releases!

sigh...

8 hours to something.

Link

DARK SOULS Challenge!! Road to "Kiln of the First Flame"

Let's play the original Dark Souls before Dark Souls 3 comes out!
This is the live stream of Hitomi Haruna, a former member of the Takarazuka Revue, playing the original Dark Souls for the first time in her life. Watch her struggle and overcome various challenges in the game. Hope she beats the game before Dark Souls 3 releases!

Player : Hitomi Haruna
MC : Yasunori Ogura (FromSoftware, Inc. Promotion & Marketing / PR Manager)

So it's just someone playing the first Dark Souls in the lead up to 3.

Edit: Beatennnnn

Looks cool, but still not feeling the hype. The series fatigue is real for me. :(

I'm not feeling intense hype either. It's more that I know I'll still dig it once it releases and I'm playing the game, and I'm somewhat confident that a lot of my issues with 2 will be revised and solved.

Looking forward to a King's Field or something relatively new and the end of Dark Souls, after this game.

Is it me or does this story seem like a direct sequel to 1, pretending DS2 doesn't exist? References a lot of lore terms from DS1. Didn't notice anything from 2.

I mean, what would they do to make it a "true" sequel to 2? Two is a forgettable nothing story.

1: Sets up the universe, the first time the first flame ever needs to be rekindled (well second counting Gwyn), the end of an era.

*This happens over and over across millennia, there's always someone to relight the first flame like in Dark Souls 1 since the Dark Lord ending is now not canon anymore*

2: It happens again

3: From the looks of things, it can't happen again so now this is the real deal end of everything.

It seems like more of a direct sequel to 1 because 2 didn't introduce anything significant. I'm sure we'll see maybe like an item that belonged to Vendric or see a giant like the ones in DSII but other than that there's not much you can do. But it makes more sense for them to remember Gwyn because he was the first of them all. Everything that happens in DS2 would just be more of the same, like all of the intermittent fire linking a and great lords between DS1 and 2.

Robot Pants

This is a good thing. Like someone said above me, 2 is a forgettable nothing story that tried to be mysterious just to be mysterious and nothing really added up.

It's better we forget about it and pretend it didn't happen. I'm ok with the few things they are taking from it though. I however REAAALLLY don't like the Giants. Unless Miyzaki can redeem them. Which, if anyone can, he can.

DMTripper

I really hope we see more of the kind of stuff that made dark souls 1 such a masterpiece...

I would like some substantial secret areas, awesome lore, memorable bosses, huge great swords and great NPC's with convoluted story lines.

I liked dark souls 2 but it was lacking compared to 1. Can FROM rekindle (pun intended :-D) the magic that made the original dark souls and demon souls so great?

Mutombo

Looks cool, but still not feeling the hype. The series fatigue is real for me. :(

I was thinking the same thing whilst playing Bloodborne for the first time. At the end of BB I was feeling a little worn out and wanted to get it over with. But now with the DLC completed, Ebrietas pummeled first try on NG+, I cannot wait to delve into the new and latest installment of the Souls series.

No matter what other game I try, every small excuse is a good excuse to boot up BB and help some friends.

Mutombo

I was thinking the same thing whilst playing Bloodborne for the first time. At the end of BB I was feeling a little worn out and wanted to get it over with. But now with the DLC completed, Ebrietas pummeled first try on NG+, I cannot wait to delve into the new and latest installment of the Souls series.

No matter what other game I try, every small excuse is a good excuse to boot up BB and help some friends.

I want to quote myself here. Why am I bragging about pummeling Ebrietas first try on NG+? Is this what the Souls series does to you? Bragging rights? I feel the need to get a little recognition, even though the Ebrietas fight was no fun. Over leveled, probably. But I remember getting my ass handed to me on NG, a year ago.

Gbraga

I was a bit worried about fatigue when Dark Souls III was first announced, but then with the first gameplay trailer and the release of The Old Hunters, I knew it was nonsense. I can't get tired of it. If anything, what bothers me about the releases being so close is that it doesn't give me as much time as I want with each game before starting playing a new one. I still didn't use every single weapon in Bloodborne. PS4 doesn't tell you how much you've played your games, so I can't know about characters I've deleted, but only from the saves I have, I'm more than 230 hours in and still not even close to being tired.

Just yesterday I was playing Dark Souls I PVP in Oolacile and also did some fun shit in the Forbidden Woods on NG+3 with the Beast Claw + Embrace Rune. So good. It's a bit too strong, though, two Beast runes as well, I run over every boss with ease. Horse but hole in the DLC was one of the hardest fights in the game on my first try (I was on NG++), but knowing its moveset and using the Beast Claw, it didn't last a minute. I'm pretty sure he didn't even hit me.

Still my favorite boss in the game, SO FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOD. Definitely Top 5 in the series, possibly my favorite in the series. The Old Hunters was so well made and addressed most of the criticism the main game received so well that I'm already excited for whatever DLC they make for Dark Souls III. Really hoping they go that same route of making one big DLC instead of multiple releases. The Old Hunters by itself is nowhere near as big as the three Dark Souls II DLCs combined, but the difference from The Old Hunters to each individual areas is enough to make it worth it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So Prestige Edition... too late to pre-order it anywhere, I take it?

Ferr986

Never had any thoughts on fatigue with the Souls series. I was excited second 1 when they announced Dark 3.

For me, fatigue comes when a series puts too much games with questionable quality. This has been the case with the Souls series for me.

UrbanRats

Yeah I felt fatigue playing Bloodborne.
They released too much Souls too quickly.

Having little hype may be a good thing though, I went into Bloodborne with far too much hype, and it didn't help.

So Prestige Edition... too late to pre-order it anywhere, I take it?
Last thing i remember reading is, yes, the Prestige Edition is sold out everywhere. Of course, some ppl might cancel, it's a load of money for a game, so you might be able to snag one if you're on the watch and lucky.

Yeah I felt fatigue playing Bloodborne.
They released too much Souls too quickly.

Having little hype may be a good thing though, I went into Bloodborne with far too much hype, and it didn't help.
That's why i stopped playing Bloodborne the very second i finished the Old Hunters content, and haven't played any Souls game or games with similar setting and/or gameplay.

And the latest stuff got me hyped again, so, works for me.

It's kind of unfair to wish this, but a part of me does just want DS3 to be a direct sequel to DS1 sidestepping 2 completely.

I know that's unrealistic, but I hope there really isn't too much of 2 referenced - I don't really think the story, setting or characters deserve much continuity. Like if one of the lords of Cinder is the Giant Lord and there's a few weapons or armour sets carried over that would be more than enough for me. I kind of want the OT to be titled "Dark Souls 3 |OT| - The Real Dark Souls 2."

I was a bit worried about fatigue when Dark Souls III was first announced, but then with the first gameplay trailer and the release of The Old Hunters, I knew it was nonsense. I can't get tired of it. If anything, what bothers me about the releases being so close is that it doesn't give me as much time as I want with each game before starting playing a new one. I still didn't use every single weapon in Bloodborne.
ditto on that.

I now have this stupid picture in my head with all the awakened Lords of Cinder sitting around the fire exchanging their stories and trying to outdo one another.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...I really struggled with Demon's Souls, probably because it was my first Souls game, and gave up about 90% of the way through.

Dark Souls was probably more difficult but I was more adept at these games by that point. Still didn't manage to kill Gwyn. :(

I just recently gave up on Bloodborne (Nightmare of Mensis - Mergo's Loft) as it's just too difficult and I just don't have the time or inclination to keep plugging away at it...

Did you keep your saves? Because good god you're right there, on all 3 games. Don't walk away now! How can you have made it this far and gave up!? Why did you put yourself through all that, only to leave the job unfinished, right at the end, 3 times!!??

Top Bottom