• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Opening Cinematic]

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
One thing that just hit me about the Lords of Cinder:

The LoC are reawaken as a safeguard so that the First Flame can be linked, and a LoC is someone who previously linked the fire. Taking all that in consideration does this mean that
Gwyn could have linked the flame again if no one ever reached the Kiln?

krakov

Dark-Souls-II-Diary-Sorcerer.jpg

The beards in 2 look like they were disguise beards bought in a novelty shop.

Everything in Dark Souls 2 looks like it came from a novelty shop.

Everything in Dark Souls 2 looks like it came from a novelty shop.
I lol'd.

I hated how the body shape scaled in DS2. I could get a decent face but if I tried to make a buff or burly guy it just looked like he had a big fat ass and was wearing a medieval cosplay moo-moo.

-snip- Long great post.
Great post, I agree with most of it. I will say though that whilst a lot of DS2's changes were born from the criticisms of DS1 that, almost exclusively, their solutions to these problems failed - or rather they may have achieved what they set out to do, but ultimately were poorly received by fans. They tried to simultaneously make it easier for new players (Soul Memory, despawning, harder to invade early) and make it harder for vets (more mobs, new parry/backstab timings and escapes) and I think the game got tore between these two opposite goals, along with all the other problems we all rehash every thread....

not to hate but maybe there should be a definitive DS1 vs DS2 thread leading up to the new game, for this stuff to go in?

feels like groundhog day
I would be down for this. Like a "Dark Souls 2 vs |OT| - Keep all discussion of DS2 vs other Souls games in here." And redirect anyone going hollow in other thread to this main one.

moozoom

Dark-Souls-II-Diary-Sorcerer.jpg

The beards in 2 look like they were disguise beards bought in a novelty shop.

Actually I prefer them over the facial hair in Bloodborne. I'll take a nicely painted texture over the horrible things they call beards in recent games (dragon age Inquisition or even MGSV)

Can't wait to see the character creation, although I won't be able to buy this at launch ( moving into another flat killed my wallet for a long time)

Gbraga

I feel like Dark Souls II's changes to parrying weren't trying to solve an issue with parrying, and QS bullets only get in the way of parrying if you're missing too much, if you're not, it's REALLY hard to run out of them. Especially with stuff like the Oedon Writhe runes, that will give you QS bullets after a Visceral.

The reason why they changed the timing with parrying in Dark Souls II, in my opinion, is for PVP balance. The netcode is almost too good, so having instant parries would be way too broken, as you can see with the Monastery Scimitar, that lets you parry on reaction on PVP, it makes it way too broken. All of the other games end up having more balanced parries on PVP just because they're laggy, so when you're playing PVP, the parries that are instant on PVE become about prediction.

I don't even know if it's possible, but I feel like the best thing would be having instant parries on PVE, but changing the way they work on PVP so prediction is required. I love Dark Souls II's netcode, but it sucks that PVE has to suffer for PVP.

Haha, this is great.

RAVELORD NITO

Gamersyde uploaded the uncompressed version, that's fabulous.

Oh shit, I'll download it right away!

Piers

Interesting exposition/lore.
Absolutely boring narrative.

When people boot up the game, I'm not sure if warriors waking up and pilgrims walking across wasteland is really going to set them on fire, get them excited or intrigued.
#EvilExecutiveTalk

The LoC are reawaken as a safeguard so that the First Flame can be linked, and a LoC is someone who previously linked the fire. Taking all that in consideration does this mean that

Naw I think it's a you link once, burn up and hope someone else shows up to keep it going. That's why the prophecy was made by Gwyndolin in the first place.

I feel like so many LOCs are needed because there's no one left on the land that's powerful enough to link the flame.

What I dont understand is the thrones stuff and how it makes any sense. How long have they been awakening LOCs? DS3 is framed as being the end times and this seems like a last ditch effort. But the thrones being a built structure thats seems to have been standing for centuries says this has happened before, which doesnt jive very well with me or the themes DS3 is going for. Just seems like a bad ploy to make DS2s throne of want stuff relevant to the universe. If somewhere in the game they say the Thrones are recently built in anticipation of the fire fading then I'll be content.

But we'll see. B-Genius says ppl like me shouldn't be worried about the lore so ill trust them on that.

bigol

When people boot up the game, I'm not sure if warriors waking up and pilgrims walking across wasteland is really going to set them on fire, get them excited or intrigued.
#EvilExecutiveTalk

Well i'm excited by the idea to fight the various great booses they presented with this trailer. It's ten times better than the dull Dark Souls 2 opening cinematic, that's for sure.

#EvilExecutiveTalk

The game will play poeple anyway (that way around :)). I don't think that opening cinematic will distract anyone form enjoyinging it, really. Actually, I think it's very atmospheric, even in its vague-ness and will probably serve as a nice gateway into the burnt, ashen world of DSIII.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The transition from CGI to "Pre-order now" was absolutely awful. The actual intro itself was good though...

Lux R7

Well i'm excited by the idea to fight the various great booses they presented with this trailer. It's ten times better than the dull Dark Souls 2 opening cinematic, that's for sure.

i like ds2 cinematic, it just doesn't make any sense to me (like that portal-like thing opening in the water and you have to jump in a lake to go to Drangleic? Why?) , but i'ts good :D

I think the team behind DS2 genuinely believed that unforgiving difficulty was what made a Souls game. They really messed up the combat with insane tracking and hordes of enemies (which I hear was made even worse in SOTFS). And then you discover aside from the first few areas that the level design is a shadow of the previous game. It just never felt like a proper Souls experience. It's still a very good game but I can't even properly articulate how disappointing a lot of the game was.

My thoughts on DS2 to a tee, minus the 'still a very good game' part, but that's just my own hangups getting in the way. Objectively it's probably a fun and unique game.

EDIT: Forgot to even comment on the topic at hand! I can never remember or get the lore straight properly even though I consider DS1 one of my favorite games of all time and have played through it several times. Trailer looks...pretty fucking Dark Souls to me?

NinjaBoiX

I think the team behind DS2 genuinely believed that unforgiving difficulty was what made a Souls game. They really messed up the combat with insane tracking and hordes of enemies (which I hear was made even worse in SOTFS). And then you discover aside from the first few areas that the level design is a shadow of the previous game. It just never felt like a proper Souls experience. It's still a very good game but I can't even properly articulate how disappointing a lot of the game was.
I think Dark Souls 2 is the easiest one, and I played SOTFS. It's my favourite by a fair margin, and final part of the last DLC aside I've completed it all.

I really struggled with Demon's Souls, probably because it was my first Souls game, and gave up about 90% of the way through.

Dark Souls was probably more difficult but I was more adept at these games by that point. Still didn't manage to kill Gwyn. :(

I just recently gave up on Bloodborne (Nightmare of Mensis - Mergo's Loft) as it's just too difficult and I just don't have the time or inclination to keep plugging away at it.

In terms of difficulty, from easiest to hardest I'd say:

DS2 > DeS > DS1 > BB

I feel like I should really just not bother with Dark Souls 3 for the sake of my sanity! I'm sure it'll be excellent (despite the cheesy bugs, dodgy geometry/clipping, cheating AI and mind-numbing narrative I really enjoy the series) but it's probably better for my constitution to just watch a Let's Play of it. It kind of kills me a little inside when I realise I've spent over 200 hours on the series so far...

Skii

Thanks for your answer, but I honestly think that DS2 deviates far less from the formula than your comments would indicate. Maybe its just that I've played the game so much that I've become accustomed to its peculiarities, but that beimg said I can't say switching between Bloodborne and SOTFS and vice-versa caused me any discomfort.

The main difference I found was that the cautious spear and shield strategy that worked so well in Demon's and DS1 really wasn't especially effective in DS2; much like Bloodborne, adopting larger, wider-swinging weapons and being more aggressive seemed to real play well in the various combat scenarios.

This direction seems very much in line with Miyazaki's concerns about passivity in the combat, so I really don't feel like the choices made in DS2 were out of character for the series, as much as a first attempt at correcting a perceived problem.

There are a lot of people who feel the same as I do. There's a reason why a lot of us were really disappointed in DS2. It just does so many things wrong that all accumulate to an experience that just doesn't feel like Souls.

I dont find DS2 hard really because of the experience I have with the Souls games. But it was extremely frustrating because of the way certain encounters were made. I just didn't enjoy them because it's less about strategically understanding each enemy but more about crowd management which isn't inherently bad but not something I look for in a Souls games. Bloodborne is the only one to do horde fights properly because of the improved health mechanics and speed of movement.

I completely disagree about the direction of the game. It doesn't feel like a Miyazaki game at all. There's a clear difference between Demon's, DS1 & Bloodborne and DS2 for me. But that's just my opinion.

1. I wouldn't call Dark Souls combat to be trivial at all. Once you've completed the game and understand all enemy movements, of course back stab fishing is easy but it takes time to learn that information and there were plenty of non humanoid enemies who couldn't be backstabbed or parried. I feel like DS2 had an abundance of humanoid enemies.

2. Executions of parries in DS2 were absolutely diabolical. They completely fucked it up. When I parry in Demon's, Dark and Bloodborne, I feel like a badass. It feels organic and fast. In DS2, it felt disgustingly sluggish and wasn't fun at all.

3. As you say, Bloodborne's solution to backstabs was the best way to do it. I don't know if DS3 is going to implement it but I hope so with Miyazaki directing it.

4. Mob control was nowhere near as fun in DS2 to Bloodborne. The movement in DS2 was sluggish and the lack of mobility meant mob fighting was just an exercise in frustration. There was no real tactics like in Bloodborne where you have an array of ways to deal with mob encounters as well as the necessary dodging speed and aggression to make them unique to one on one encounters. In DS2, you'd rarely fight a mob as one. You'd try to draw one out and whittle away at them until they die before rinsing and repeating. In Bloodborne, you just go for all of them and most of the time you will come out on top.

5. Online play is best in DS2. Not going to argue that at all. Things could be done better on all games but at least DS2 had stable match making.

DS2 has good ideas but they are rarely executed correctly. I could deal with this if the level design etc. was the same as DS1/Demon's but it just wasn't.

I'm hoping DS3 can implement new ideas correctly without affecting the integrity of a Souls game.

I think Dark Souls 2 is the easiest one, and I played SOTFS. It's my favourite by a fair margin, and final part of the last DLC aside I've completed it all.

I really struggled with Demon's Souls, probably because it was my first Souls game, and gave up about 90% of the way through.

Dark Souls was probably more difficult but I was more adept at these games by that point. Still didn't manage to kill Gwyn. :(

I just recently gave up on Bloodborne (Nightmare of Mensis - Mergo's Loft) as it's just too difficult and I just don't have the time or inclination to keep plugging away at it.

In terms of difficulty, from easiest to hardest I'd say:

DS2 > DeS > DS1 > BB

I feel like I should really just not bother with Dark Souls 3 for the sake of my sanity! I'm sure it'll be excellent (despite the cheesy bugs, dodgy geometry/clipping, cheating AI and mind-numbing narrative I really enjoy the series) but it's probably better for my constitution to just watch a Let's Play of it. It kind of kills me a little inside when I realise I've spent over 200 hours on the series so far...

Oh yeah, DS2 was by far the easiest game. It became extremely predictable and easy to deal with mobs and the bosses weren't anywhere near the difficulty of the bosses I had fought in other Souls games unfortunately.

It's just that DS2 implements what I call artificial difficulty. It doesn't add anything interesting to the gameplay and frankly feels unfair.

Toxi

Banned
So I tried to resist watching this

I couldn't

My balls nearly exploded from that art design

So the names of the Lords are Uldritch, Ferran, and Yorn?

Auctopus

Well, Drangleic resembled Anor Londo, too. Only the main tower had a flat roof, instead of a cone-shaped.

Drangleic never resembled Anor Londo, people just wanted it to. It was just a large castle and in the end wasn't it just Dragon Aerie people were looking at?

The silohuette (most notably the top of the tower) looks near identical there.

V-Faction

Can't hold myself back any longer. Watching now.

EDIT: First reaction, "Yes, indeed" Oh c'mon!

EDIT 2: Those hermit dudes looking like elder goron!

EDIT 3: "Unkindled" Okay, first test -- go through the game without kindling ANY bonfires! Secret ending hooooooo

Lux R7

your post is perfect, but there is something else (aside from technical aspects) that can hardly be explained by words. DS2 lacks that "magic", that atmosphere of DeS, DS and BB. I'm sorry but i don't WANT to say Miyazaki makes a difference, i'm saying that i FEEL, really feel, that this guy makes a difference with his vision. He knows how to create a beautiful world, an amazing lore and story, and how to make you enter his vision. I'm not a fanboy, really, but i feel something playing DS and i feel something else playing DS2. This is my truth.

Toxi

Banned
so is this probably connected to DSII too?
damn i need a fricking Timeline i kinda lost xD
The Dark Souls games are connected, despite an enormous gulf of time between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. There is only one character who appears in both games alive, and he's not a talkative one.

Dark Souls is about Lordran, where the golden Age of Fire is fading and the Lords who ruled in it are desperately trying to cling to the light as the Age of Dark comes. The Undead (AKA humanity) are the ones caught in the midst of this change, forced to choose between either safe certainty or grand uncertainty.

Dark Souls 2 is about the sealed-off land of Drangleic (a country built on the ruins of Lordran), where it turns out the Ages of Fire and Dark are an eternally recurring cycle. Even with the fall of the gods, men took their place and became like gods, eventually falling to the same obstacles the gods did. Scholar of the First Sin is about finding a way to break this eternal cycle.

And Dark Souls 3, by the looks of it, is about the end of these world cycles, when there's basically nothing left to burn and and the Undead, traditionally the weak and persecuted in both Dark Souls games, are finally set to inherit the Earth.

You can see elements of Dark Souls 1 and 2 in Dark Souls 3's opening: You have the introduction of the Lords in the style of the first game's opening and a DS2-style unmasked faceless giant. However, I'm pretty sure Dark Souls 3 will be perfectly legible without playing the first two games; it's a new setting with its own history and mythology that just happens to be connected to the settings of the first two games.
Aldritch, Farron's Undead Legion, and Yhorm the Giant.
Thanks!

Manu

your post is perfect, but there is something else (aside from technical aspects) that can hardly be explained by words. DS2 lacks that "magic", that atmosphere of DeS, DS and BB. I'm sorry but i don't WANT to say Miyazaki makes a difference, i'm saying that i FEEL, really feel, that this guy makes a difference with his vision. He knows how to create a beautiful world, an amazing lore and story, and how to make you enter his vision. I'm not a fanboy, really, but i feel something playing DS and i feel something else playing DS2. This is my truth.

I don't think anyone is saying the opposite. I love DS2, played for over 100 hours and plat'd it, and I still agree.

The point of conflict seems to be whether a Souls game can be good while lacking the "Miyazaki touch." Some think they can, some don't.

By the way, Miyazaki himself was surprised to hear about the "Miyazaki touch," he didn't really think it was a thing.

Lux R7

I don't think anyone is saying the opposite. I love DS2, played for over 100 hours and plat'd it, and I still agree.

The point of conflict seems to be whether a Souls game can be good while lacking the "Miyazaki touch." Some think they can, some don't.

By the way, Miyazaki himself was surprised to hear about the "Miyazaki touch," he didn't really think it was a thing.

it can be a good game to me. Ds2 was my goty, without the M touch it was still the best game of 2014 imho.
For the last sentence, well, i think that was a normal answer. I didn't expect him to say something like "yeah i know i'm fucking good" :D

Lux R7

Do we have any clue which team is doing DS3? Is it the original DS1 team or the DS2 team?

i only got this e3 info:
"Dark Souls 3 is being developed by a different development team to Bloodborne, director Hidetaka Miyazaki has confirmed, with only Miyazaki and "some visual designers" at From Software having worked across both titles."
"Discussing the game's development during a presentation at E3, Miyazaki explained (translated via Bandai Namco producer Atsuo Yoshimura) that "the Bloodborne development timeframe and that of Dark Souls 3 overlaps [by] approximately 1 year."
(...)
"Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor director Isamu Okano will also be supporting Miyazaki in the role of co-director on Dark Souls 3, with Dark Souls 2's director Yui Tanimura also set be joining the team in a non-director role."

Toxi

Banned

The Lords of Cinder being a safeguard to get the flame linked doesn't mean they'll be linking the flame themselves.

Gwyn couldn't link the flame again because he was the fuel source for the flame; the fire was dying because there wasn't much of him left to burn.

Do we have any clue which team is doing DS3? Is it the original DS1 team or the DS2 team?

Fucking A-Team all the way. Seriously though, Miazaki is at the helm again, unlike DS2, which is a great thing. Im sure a bunch of lower rank devs worked on all of the games including DS3 but thier influence will not be as noticeable compared to Miazakies

so is this probably connected to DSII too?
damn i need a fricking Timeline i kinda lost xD

I'll try my best by memory.
Feel free to contribute

The age of ancients

- Stone dragons and eternal trees ruled the land.
- The Lords find the great souls on the fire.
- The Furtive Pigmy finds the dark soul and gives birth to mankind.
- Gwyn and his knights team up with Nito and the Witch of Izalith to fight the dragons.
- Seath the scaleless tells Gwyn the dragon's weakness to lightning and betrays its own people.
- Seath is given the "duke" title by the winning Gwyn.
- The fire begins to fade, the Lords realize this would free the Abyss unto the world.
- The Witch of Izalith attempts to create a new primal fire and accidentaly gives birth to the Bed of Chaos and all demons.
- Gwyn sents Artorias to deal with the Abyss while he tries to link the fire.
- Artorias is corrupted by the Abyss and defeated by a time-traveling Chosen Undead.
- The Chosen Undead defeats Artorias, saves Sif and slays Kalameet.
- The Chosen Undead faces the Furtive Pigmy in the form of Manus and defeats him, instead of killing him, this splits his souls into many small pieces.
- Gwyn attempts to link the primal fire and becomes the Lord of Cinder.
- Gwynevere leaves Anor Londo which becomes surrounded in darkness.
- New Londo becomes engulfed in the Abyss, and it is flooded to stop the Abyss from spreading on Lordran.
- Gwyndolin and the serpent Frampt devise a plot to keep strong, souls-filled Undead to constantly link the fire. They fill Anor Londo with light to cover Gwynevere's abscence.
- The firekeepers die.

The dark age.

- The undead curse ravages humanity. Lordran falls.
- The undead are chased and sent to the Northern Undead Asylum.
- Frampt spills the legend of a "chosen undead" who will break the curse.
- The (or rather "a") Chosen Undead scapes the Asylum and makes his way to Lordran.
- The Chosen Undead obtains the Lord Souls and becomes powerful enough to challenge/sustitute Gwyn on the primal fire.
- The Chosen Undead links the fire / allows the fire to die and became a new age of darkness.

The modern age.

- The cicle of link fire/age of darkness is repeated at least 8 times.
- Kingdoms rise and die where Lordran stood. Now called Drangleic.
- A powerful undead king called Vendrick and his brother Aldia, figure out that to break the curse, an undead must harness the dark and control the fire. To do so, he needs the magical crowns. Vendrick figures out he is not the one who will break the curse, but set his way to make sure that when the correct undead comes, he finds an easier path.
- Aldia begins to experiment to resurrect the dragons, since they were ageless and Aldia thinks they are the key to break the curse.
- Vendrick travels to the sunken city of Shulva and finds the crown, but leaves it for a future undead to pick up.
- A beautiful woman called Nashandra enters Drangleic and Vendrick falls in love with her.
- The undead curse returns in strenght with Nashandra.
- Nashandra convinces Vendrick that the way to stop this, is to steal the Giant's treasure.
- Vendrick crosses the seas and steals the treasure, the Giants declare war on Drangleic.
- The Giants invade and destroy Drangleic, ravaged by war and the undead curse, Drangleic is on the verge of falling when a misterious figure (a time traveling Bearer of the Curse) appears and defeats the Giant King. Still is too late for Drangleic and the kingdom falls in ruin.
- Vendrick discovers that Nashandra is in fact a piece of Manus' soul, and puts into motion a plan to stop her from claiming the throne (which is set on the place of the primal fire).
- Vendrick hides his armor and crown on a place that only a Human can unlock, and with the last of his will, ask his right hand man Velstad to guard over him until the correct undead comes.
- The ancient Chaos resurfaces on Eleum Loyce as another of Manus's soul pieces called Alsanna enters the kingdom.
- Eleum Loyce's King and his knights valiantly stood on the way of Chaos to stop it from spreading.
- Aldia creates Shanalotte the Emerald Herald but figures out this is not the way to break the curse.
- Shanalotte becomes the last firekeeper.
- Many undead are called by instinct to Drangleic.
- The Bearer of the Curse arrives to Drangleic and Shanalotte recognizes him/her as the new monarch.
- The Bearer of the Curse defeats the Great Lord's reincarnation and becomes worthy of finding Vendrick's legacy.
- The Bearer of the Curse defeats Nashandra and Aldia and speaks with Vendrick's memory.
- The Bearer of the Curse sets his/her way to defeat all Manus' soul fragments and recover the lost crowns.
- The Bearer of the Curse finds all the crowns and succesfully breaks the curse becoming an inmortal dark king on a dying world.

There are a LOT more of events, but I'm at work!

If I wanted to buy the Apocolypse edition and have it shipped to the U.S., where might I look? I tried one website and it crashed every time I selected "United States" for delivery rather than Ireland.

Nere

Fucking A-Team all the way. Seriously though, Miazaki is at the helm again, unlike DS2, which is a great thing. Im sure a bunch of lower rank devs worked on all of the games including DS3 but thier influence will not be as noticeable compared to Miazakies

I know Miyazaki is directing it but I asked which team is making it. Thought the team that made the original DS1 was the one that made bloodborne so that means that they couldn't do DS3 at the same time aswell.

I know Miyazaki is directing it but I asked which team is making it. Thought the team that made the original DS1 was the one that made bloodborne so that means that they couldn't do DS3 at the same time aswell.

BB had the vets from DS1 working on it with a few of the new guys they hired when they were doing DS2 pitching in.

However as Miyazaki said most of those lead designers are not working on DS3. Just Himself and some art designers that helped with Bloodborne. So it's almost certainly majority DS2 team. At least lead design wise.

For example From's veteran lead programmer Jun Ito who had worked along side Miyazaki since Demon's Souls isn't on DS3, but Yui Tanimura the DS2 clean up Director is.

Hopefully the new guys have learned alot since DS2 and can really slow they've got what it takes to make am engaging Souls game. I'm sure Miyazaki is giving them sound advice along the way.

In interested to know what those other guys are concocting behind the scenes though. Perhaps BB2?

Lux R7

BB had the vets from DS1 working on it with a few of the new guys they hired when they were doing DS2 pitching in.

However as Miyazaki said most of those lead designers are not working on DS3. Just Himself and some art designers that helped with Bloodborne. So it's almost certainly majority DS2 team. At least lead design wise.

For example From's veteran lead programmer Jun Ito who had worked along side Miyazaki since Demon's Souls isn't on DS3, but Yui Tanimura the DS2 clean up Director is.

Hopefully the new guys have learned alot since DS2 and can really slow they've got what it takes to make am engaging Souls game. I'm sure Miyazaki is giving them sound advice along the way.

In interested to know what those other guys are concocting behind the scenes though. Perhaps BB2?

must be that project Myiazaki referred as the first game being developed under his presidency.

Top Bottom