• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Opening Cinematic]

Lux R7

It's possible that that part of the trailer is not actually from the opening cinematic. After the Fire Maiden is shown, there's a fade to black. It may be that the intro continues from there but that Namco Bandai spliced in some other footage so that it would end on the mascot knight.

sure, maybe. I guess we'll see.
Go away february!

Skii

How so? Genuinely curious as to why you'd think that?

And to keep it on-topic, what does DS3 need to do to "get the point" of a souls game.

I think the team behind DS2 genuinely believed that unforgiving difficulty was what made a Souls game. They really messed up the combat with insane tracking and hordes of enemies (which I hear was made even worse in SOTFS). And then you discover aside from the first few areas that the level design is a shadow of the previous game. It just never felt like a proper Souls experience. It's still a very good game but I can't even properly articulate how disappointing a lot of the game was.

As long as DS3 goes down a similar route of Bloodborne (which I'm sure it will with Miyazaki's team working on it) it will be perfectly fine. The game's difficulty will tie in beautifully with the level design and bonfire placement. The game will feel challenging but never unfair. The combat scenarios will be interesting & diverse whether it be fighting your run of the mill enemy or a boss.

Fhtagn

Tedious because I have no reason to care about anything that's going on, there is no human connection, no relatable conflict.

It's just some seemingly regurgitated gothic fantasy drivel about old ones and curses and stuff.

Bland because it's some gothic fantasy drivel about old ones and curses and stuff.

Dark Souls is a metaphor for
dementia/Alzheimer's disease.

There's your human connection. Once that clicks for you, it's apparent throughout.

Jombie

At its core, Souls isn't about fantasy tropes, it's about picking yourself up within a cruel, indifferent world and finding a reason to carry on. It's also about power, fear and blind faith.

digdug2k

Jesus, the story presentation in these games is such derivative, cookie cutter, fantasy bilge:

"And so the old ones will rise, and dosteth the journey of the forsaken *something something*, and lo, thou shall perish in the flames of *blah blah blah*, and the drown in the blood of accursed *drivel drivel*..."

It literally seemed like a parody.
Lol. I thought the same thing watching the trailer. I don't usually mind awful writing, but fantasy irks me. Doesn't make me hate the games though. Nowadays I'm just like "Oh yeah, 'the unkindled will rise nameless, accursed, and undead' you say? I'm just going to go make a sandwich and just hope you pause before I need to push any buttons again."

JayBabay

I've played all of them and can say with certainty that you should play DS2. The Scholar of the First Sin edition is the one I've played. I just recently beat it and enjoyed my time with it. What they say about the enemy hordes and level design is true, and while the enemy hordes can get annoying it's still not that big of a deal. I stopped noticing it after I got past the first few areas.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think the team behind DS2 genuinely believed that unforgiving difficulty was what made a Souls game. They really messed up the combat with insane tracking and hordes of enemies (which I hear was made even worse in SOTFS). And then you discover aside from the first few areas that the level design is a shadow of the previous game. It just never felt like a proper Souls experience. It's still a very good game but I can't even properly articulate how disappointing a lot of the game was.

As long as DS3 goes down a similar route of Bloodborne (which I'm sure it will with Miyazaki's team working on it) it will be perfectly fine. The game's difficulty will tie in beautifully with the level design and bonfire placement. The game will feel challenging but never unfair. The combat scenarios will be interesting & diverse whether it be fighting your run of the mill enemy or a boss.

Thanks for your answer, but I honestly think that DS2 deviates far less from the formula than your comments would indicate. Maybe its just that I've played the game so much that I've become accustomed to its peculiarities, but that beimg said I can't say switching between Bloodborne and SOTFS and vice-versa caused me any discomfort.

The main difference I found was that the cautious spear and shield strategy that worked so well in Demon's and DS1 really wasn't especially effective in DS2; much like Bloodborne, adopting larger, wider-swinging weapons and being more aggressive seemed to real play well in the various combat scenarios.

This direction seems very much in line with Miyazaki's concerns about passivity in the combat, so I really don't feel like the choices made in DS2 were out of character for the series, as much as a first attempt at correcting a perceived problem.

Gbraga

I respect your honesty. The Souls games including Bloodborne have horrible storytelling

I get him, I'm ok with his opinion, even if I disagree with it, but "honesty", really? We're all just lying to ourselves because we're fanboys, it's not that we actually love the storytelling?

That's bullshit.

I wanna see Velstadth again! and Raime!

Velstadth and Raime dual bossfight a la Ornstein and Smogg

That would be kind of godlike. Damn.

Good god, that looks good. I skipped 2 though, anyone think it's worth it to go back and play?

It's great, stay away from SOTFS. Play the DLC.

Would someone more in touch with the lore help me out on this one?

So the trailer talks about Lords of Cinder coming back to life, are they
basically entities that linked the fire at some point in history and continued the cycle? Gwyn is called the Lord of Cinder in Dark Souls 1 and if I remember correctly, Vendrick goes to war with the giants. I can't remember if Vendrick links the fire or not, I thought he gave into the curse or whatever, but can I assume that the last civilization before Drangleic was the Giant Kingdom since one of the Lords of Cinder in the trailer is the Giant Yohm (idk the spelling) and Vendrick stole something from them? Basically, all I wanna know is if Gwyn could be coming back.

tesqui

Thought this was releasing March, but that's just in Japan. It'd probably be dumb to import the Japanese version... or perhaps a fun learning experience?

Grassy

I am second guessing my JP pre-order, because I can't read Japanese :/ As well as I know the UI elements and such, it will be hard and diminish the experience to get through the game without reading item descriptions, etc.

The Asian version releases on the same date as the JP version, and has English text.

Gbraga

Would someone more in touch with the lore help me out on this one?

So the trailer talks about Lords of Cinder coming back to life, are they
basically entities that linked the fire at some point in history and continued the cycle? Gwyn is called the Lord of Cinder in Dark Souls 1 and if I remember correctly, Vendrick goes to war with the giants. I can't remember if Vendrick links the fire or not, I thought he gave into the curse or whatever, but can I assume that the last civilization before Drangleic was the Giant Kingdom since one of the Lords of Cinder in the trailer is the Giant Yohm (idk the spelling) and Vendrick stole something from them? Basically, all I wanna know is if Gwyn could be coming back.

That is correct. It is indeed possible, but we can't know for sure until the game comes out. I really hope he does.

Jombie

They better improve on DS2 beards.

Dark-Souls-II-Diary-Sorcerer.jpg

The beards in 2 look like they were disguise beards bought in a novelty shop.

120v

not to hate but maybe there should be a definitive DS1 vs DS2 thread leading up to the new game, for this stuff to go in?

feels like groundhog day

I really love when we start bashing Dark Souls 2. It comes out of nowhere, like a community plague.

I wasn't bashing DS2 at all I actually like that DS2 added beards I just hope they add more. The development of this game is baffling to me because I think DS2 did a lot right on the technical side and want DS3 to improve on it but I feel they might go backwards on somethings because the of the new development lead.

Grassy

Do you have a link/tips for where you can pre-order the Asian version with English text?

Well you could create a Hong Kong PSN account, buy a HK PSN card and possibly preload it for the 24th, which is what I'm thinking of doing. The other option is ordering it from a store in HK, I'll PM you a link.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That first Lord of Cinder.

What the fuck.

WHAT THE FUCK.
What the fuck at that writhing mass of dragon mush.

Can't wait until you hook up :)

That narrator voice was hype!

That's Pik Sen Lim, the same lady who narrated Dark 1!

Another thing. There's 4 empty thrones according to some leaked gameplay from last week, yet the opening cinematic shows 3 bosses...hmmm
lolface_stickers-r08a0eb552a9e4f53b000d7e428071ddc_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

Does the Japanese release with English text by any chance? I have the PC version already paid for but I'll pay whatever the cost to get the jp version if it ships with English.

The Japanese version won't have English text, unfortunately (only voice).
If you're looking to import, the Asian version will have English text.
But note that any updates to the English text in the official western release may not make it in.

Reminder that
one of your Firelink buddies is a deserter from Farron's Undead Legion.
:)

You're in the know, right?

Not to mention Nito's sick ass raves.

tumblr_n98ka3cs0N1thmrjio1_500.png

Haha, this is great.

I just don't like the story in these games guys. I like acting and drama and stuff, not reams of text and corny voice overs.

But I'm sure it's very good if you like that kind of thing.

So condescending...

Does anyone know if you can summon friends in coop like in Bloodborne - with a password system? I loved being able to play it with my brother, and it finally got him into the series.

Think someone already mentioned, but yes, this is confirmed.
Passwords + summon signs = potentially the most straightforward co-op Souls yet.

Dark Souls is a metaphor for
dementia/Alzheimer's disease.

There's your human connection. Once that clicks for you, it's apparent throughout.

I remember being very touched by this article.

It's certainly one interpretation, and fascinating that people are able to relate to the game(s) on that level. It's not going to convince anyone who thinks the subject matter is drivel, but it's a great read for anyone already invested in the franchise.

I think that's one aspect of these games that can be taken for granted: they present a relatively simple premise (disparity of light and dark, cyclical nature of the world, etc.), and you can project yourself into it how you see fit. For me, anyway, they are the epitome of a "role playing game". However small, your character has a role in this vast, ill-fated world. It isn't shoved down your throat in some dramatic way; it's a purpose that you find for yourself as you play. "What sort of impression do I want to make?"

Jombie

The games have served as therapy for me over the last few years and have made me less of a quitter in life.

Fhtagn

Well you could create a Hong Kong PSN account, buy a HK PSN card and possibly preload it for the 24th, which is what I'm thinking of doing. The other option is ordering it from a store in HK, I'll PM you a link.

Oh if I can PSN an HK version with English text on the JP release date, I'm in day 1 for sure. Is there a good tutorial on how to set that up?

I'll get the USA region version as well, I'm sure. I own multiple versions of every SoulsBorne game so far, why stop now.

DarkFlame

Banned
DkS II and its DLC is great, definitely worth playing before you tackle III and can't/don't want to go back.

Totally try Scholar of the First Sin,it's absolutely incredible.Don't let elitists whine about everything,in fact DS2 in terms of PvP,covenants and build variety is even better than the first one.

Ppl just whine for the sake of it

Many people claim that the DSII dev team did not understand what make the souls games great but I think this is BS to be honest. DSII team and the Bloodborne team came up with different solutions to some problems both Demon's and DS had when it comes to the actual combat mechanics. There's a reason why both DSII and BB are different to them predecessors: the combat in DS is trivial when you learn that you can parry almost anything and you can backstab almost every enemy in the game; both things were not intended at all so they had to make adjustments to the combat mechanics to prevent that people already familiar with the previous games abused those resources, and that just tells you that they wanted to improve the souls formula, not just make things harder for the sake of it.

These are some examples of what they tried to change:

-Execution of parries in DS2 had a very different timing than in previous games; in BB they tied parries to the use of a consumable item to prevent people from relying too much on them. Before the first patch, players would have to farm quicksilver bullets if they relied too much on guns or if they failed frequently while trying to learn this new parry.

-backstabs in both Bloodborne and DSII work different than in previous games: in Bloodborne a backstab require 2 steps, charging your attack and then punishing the enemy; in DSII backstabs are trickier to perform and the enemies can hear you easily so performing one is kind of risky. BB's solution to this issue is actually better because it prevents the player from circle around the enemy to fish for a backstab, something than can be done quite easily in Demon's and DS. In the other hand, to prevent the player from doing the same in DSII they came up with a less elegant solution: now the enemies can track you and they can hit you even if you're right behind them.

-another thing BB and DSII did to be different to the previous games was the presence of mobs. There are much more mobs in DSII and Bloodborne than in demon's and DS, and those games demand the player to know how to deal with them, but at the same time they provide the player with different resources to deal with them. In BB you're faster, your actions cost less stamina and even if you got hit by enemies you have the regain system that allows you to regain health while attacking; in DS2 you have access to a ton of recover items like the gems, and if you spend some experience to level up adaptability you can use those items faster in the middle of the combat and your roll does have more iframes too, also using two weapons can give you access to a whole new set of movements that would give you some advantage to deal with mobs.

-they also tried to improve the way you play online by adding stuff like soul memory or summoning and invading by using bells. Of course, when it comes to the online component of those games, you can make a whole new discussion regarding wether or not those systems worked.

Anyways. I want to know what Fromsoft do to tackle some of the issues I mentioned. We already know that parries are now restricted to the use of a certain type of shield, so it's pretty obvious that they are trying new things to try to keep the games from being too familiar to experienced players.

silva1991

Did they explain why Japan is getting the game almost 3 weeks earlier?

it's really annoying considering consoles are almost dead there and people who actually buy these games don't deserve such a delayed release.

Tarkus

it's really annoying considering consoles are almost dead there and people who actually buy these games don't deserve such a delayed release.
Pretty much a final beta test.

tcrunch

FROM self-publishes in Japan, other locations it's controlled by Bandai-Namco. They have not revealed a reason for the difference.

Tactics18

The Asian version releases on the same date as the JP version, and has English text.

Where has this been confirmed? All I'm seeing is Japan on the 24th and the rest of the world on April 12th.

I'll definitely jump in on the 24th if this is true.

Jombie

Many people claim that the DSII dev team did not understand what make the souls games great but I think this is BS to be honest. DSII team and the Bloodborne team came up with different solutions to some problems both Demon's and DS had when it comes to the actual combat mechanics. There's a reason why both DSII and BB are different to them predecessors: the combat in DS is trivial when you learn that you can parry almost anything and you can backstab almost every enemy in the game; both things were not intended at all so they had to make adjustments to the combat mechanics to prevent that people already familiar with the previous games abused those resources, and that just tells you that they wanted to improve the souls formula, not just make things harder for the sake of it.

-Execution of parries in DS2 had a very different timing than in previous games; in BB they tied parries to the use of a consumable item to prevent people from relying too much on them. Before the first patch, players would have to farm quicksilver bullets if they relied too much on guns or if they failed frequently while trying to learn this new parry.

-backstabs in both Bloodborne and DSII work different than in previous games: in Bloodborne a backstab require 2 steps, charging your attack and then punishing the enemy; in DSII backstabs are trickier to perform and the enemies can hear you easily so performing one is kind of risky. BB's solution to this issue is actually better because it prevents the player from circle around the enemy to fish for a backstab, something than can be done quite easily in Demon's and DS. In the other hand, to prevent the player from doing the same in DSII they came up with a less elegant solution: now the enemies can track you and they can hit you even if you're right behind them.

-another thing BB and DSII did to be different to the previous games was the presence of mobs. There are much more mobs in DSII and Bloodborne than in demon's and DS, and those games demand the player to know how to deal with them, but at the same time they provide the player with different resources to deal with them. In BB you're faster, your actions cost less stamina and even if you got hit by enemies you have the regain system that allows you to regain health while attacking; in DS2 you have access to a ton of recover items like the gems, and if you spend some experience to level up adaptability you can use those items faster in the middle of the combat and your roll does have more iframes too, also using two weapons can give you access to a whole new set of movements that would give you some advantage to deal with mobs.

-they also tried to improve the way you play online by adding stuff like soul memory or summoning and invading by using bells. Of course, when it comes to the online component of those games, you can make a whole new discussion regarding wether or not those systems worked.

Anyways. I want to know what Fromsoft do to tackle some of the issues I mentioned. We already know that parries are now restricted to the use of a certain type of shield, so it's pretty obvious that they are trying new things to try to keep the games from being too familiar to experienced players.

Good post.

moonbeam

Wow - fantastic, super informative post. Thank you!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Also consider that Parry is now a "Skill" tied to those particular shields (small/round/kite iirc), so you spend FP (although only a small amount).

As some will attest to from the Network Test, backstabs now have a short "wind-up" (making them trickier to perform on some enemies and agile players). This was present in Dark 2, but it doesn't feel quite as sluggish this time, and is also less punishing if you whiff.

I believe experienced players will still feel at home with these two particular aspects, but there's also plenty to keep it fresh (all the other Skills for one thing).

Grassy

Oh if I can PSN an HK version with English text on the JP release date, I'm in day 1 for sure. Is there a good tutorial on how to set that up?

I'll get the USA region version as well, I'm sure. I own multiple versions of every SoulsBorne game so far, why stop now.

Just go to the HK site - https://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/regional and create an account as you normally would(just enter anything random for the address), then you'll have to use a website to buy a HK PSN card, and then pre-order when it's available.

The only issue is the HK PSN store doesn't seem to be updated that regularly. Street Fighter V which releases next week isn't even on there yet, so I'm going to keep my eyes on that situation(maybe they only put games up closer to launch?). The other way is to order an Asian copy from a store in Hong Kong, and if you use courier shipping you could get it in 2-4 days possibly, which is better than 3 weeks.

Where has this been confirmed? All I'm seeing is Japan on the 24th and the rest of the world on April 12th.

I'll definitely jump in on the 24th if this is true.

The Asian version definitely releases on the 24th, it's just a matter of finding somewhere to purchase a copy. As above.

Zaventem

Im honestly weak whencit comes to holding out and I don't feel lime buying this game twice so I guess it's gonna be spoiled for me :/

Top Bottom