• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

DR2K

Banned
Nearly flawless if the post-patch console performance is anything to go by.

35/40 from Famitsu. The same esteemed publication gave Tekken 5 on PSP (probably the best portable fighter to this day) a 31/40, so it means nothing, as per.

It means they're having a blast with the Ryona mode.

And don't forget to check out the DOA5 thread for half a year's worth of grap3fruitman's violent rants, among other community musings.
For the record, I was probably the single most vocal person looking forward for DOA5 to turn out good. It's natural that I would be the most disappointed and vocal when it turned out to be so bad. Especially when you consider that people were actively giving the developers feedback on how to fix issues with the previous game. I'm done ranting and I won't shit up this thread though, I just wanted to get that out there since I got a "shout out" in the OP. =P

For the record, I was probably the single most vocal person looking forward for DOA5 to turn out good. It's natural that I would be the most disappointed and vocal when it turned out to be so bad. Especially when you consider that people were actively giving the developers feedback on how to fix issues with the previous game. I'm done ranting and I won't shit up this thread though, I just wanted to get that out there since I got a "shout out" in the OP. =P
It's okay, your rage turns me on *o*

Ken

Impossible to expect a nice discounted bundle of all the costumes right? Are they still making DLC for this game?

Squire

Banned
Impossible to expect a nice discounted bundle of all the costumes right? Are they still making DLC for this game?

They are, but the deal they're pushing as far as DLC is concerned is that it's cross-compatible on Vita/PS3. Don't hold out for a sale anytime soon.

Squire

Banned
They've added a calendar to the line of merchandise. Neat.

BvWNVen.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

480427_10100188103183525_313883593_n.jpg

;)

Such a troll. If the game is pretty much shipped, they should've released a demo on PSN this week the ease the pain of waiting the next week.
And since the demo progress transfers over to the full game, it would've made much more sense to release it early (ala Soul Sacrifice).

But nope, Ninja Gaiden 3's third time at bat is much more worthy of an early demo obviously.

I'm going to get this game. But it's bittersweet for me.

DOA2 Dreamcast favorite character? Ein
DOA2 PS2 favorite character? Ein
DOA 3 Xbox favorite character? Ein
DOA Ultimate favorite character? Ein
DOA 4 favorite character? Ein
DOA Dimensions favorite character? Ein
DOA 5 favorite character? No clue.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Thinking of preordering at Gamestop for the extra costumes, and then picking it up next week. I never played DOA5, how was it compared to DOA4?

How do you play the entire series and not realise that Ein is Hayate?

How do you play the entire series and not realise that Ein is Hayate?

I always knew they were the same character within the game's story. But from a gameplay perspective they're two completely different characters with two completely different playstyles. I like Hayate. But I love Ein. I love his moves and was extremely comfortable with him.

Hayate and Ein are nothing alike from a gameplay perspective.

DR2K

Banned

May I suggest Hitomi? Not exactly the same, but a lot of similar moves and properties.

I always knew they were the same character within the game's story. But from a gameplay perspective they're two completely different characters with two completely different playstyles. I like Hayate. But I love Ein. I love his moves and was extremely comfortable with him.

Hayate and Ein are nothing alike from a gameplay perspective.

Ah, apologies. I've been out of the series far too long.

Fusebox

Banned

I bet it ends up being Mila. Ein was my fave and I've been playing DOA5 Free Edition for PS Platinum Subscribers and I'm really digging Mila.

Azuardo

I'm back with more noob questions!

What do the arrows on the actual P and K buttons mean when the game displays the moves?

For example, if I do Command Training, it displays the moves, such as PPK. On the actual P and K buttons on the screen are tiny arrows, varying on which position of the button they are. I know that many P+K moves can be held down and charged for extra power, and that's indicated by an arrow pointing down on the P+K buttons. But what do they mean when the arrows are on the sides or corners of the buttons?

Is this making sense?

Will see if I can find pics if not.

Ah here we go:
DOA5+_groupC_command+training.jpg

You can see a tiny arrow in the top-right of the 1st and 2nd P button icons, and one on the right side of the third P button icon.

TheSeks

Tap P Tap P 6 Hold P+6 IIRC. Top right = tap. Middle = hold. Though for directions that want hold, they are black arrows.

The arrows he's referring to are the ones on the actual Punch and Kick buttons. Those tell you which hit level that particular part of the string is (high, mid, low). So for the screenshot posted, the first two punches are high and the third one is a mid.

Lol, some gamers get insanely bitter over the stupidest shit.
The game is legitimately bad. Don't most people get upset when a game they were looking forward to turns out to be shit?

I seriously did not notice that, lol.
I want to say that they introduced it in Dimensions, so it's a fairly recent addition to the series.

DR2K

Banned
The arrows he's referring to are the ones on the actual Punch and Kick buttons. Those tell you which hit level that particular part of the string is (high, mid, low). So for the screenshot posted, the first two punches are high and the third one is a mid.

I seriously did not notice that, lol.

KiNeSiS

Banned

The game is legitimately bad. Don't most people get upset when a game they were looking forward to turns out to be shit?

I want to say that they introduced it in Dimensions, so it's a fairly recent addition to the series.

What planet are you from? DOA 5 is hands down the best DOA ever. I have all of them except for the 3ds game. DOA 5 is neck & neck with TTT2 & VF5 FS for best 3d fighter of this gen. They all are unique great games.

Azuardo

Okay, so I got two different answers there.

No disrespect to Seks, but I think grap3's answer sounds correct because when the game wants you to hold a P or K button down, it has a solid white arrow directly above the button icon pointing downwards. That wouldn't be indicated by an arrow on the right side of the icon, like you suggested, Seks.

But that is helpful info, thanks to both for replying.

I seriously need to learn to get my Holds right because I end up losing many matches with shit use of them. I can't tell if it's just a guessing game most of the time, unless the opponent becomes predictable quickly.

Juggling is something else I want to try to perfect. I've lost a few matches with opponents keeping me in the air for almost an entire round with sod all I can do about it.

As much as online makes me rage, I am loving it, it has to be said. I've never been a pro fighting game player, so I wouldn't know why it seems like a bad game, so I'm sorry to hear it's poor by some people's standards, but I'm really enjoying it.

What planet are you from? DOA 5 is hands down the best DOA ever. I have all of them except for the 3ds game. DOA 5 is neck & neck with TTT2 & VF5 FS for best 3d fighter of this gen. They all are unique great games.

I thought people were saying 3.1 was still better than 5 or close to the same at worse.

SC5 (imo) is the best 3d fighter gameplay wise. Haven't played VF5 so I can't comment on that and TTT2 is traditional tekken with rage management.

DOA5 isn't bad, and its definitely a step up but I'm kind of disappointed at some of the decisions they have made. Rikuto, Dogg and a few others (IIRC) have mention how they took out things that were good for its gameplay because it would make it too hard for casuals to play.

3.1 is not better.

Aight. I wasn't entirely sure since its been awhile since I followed the DOA scene.

DR2K

Banned
I thought people were saying 3.1 was still better than 5 or close to the same at worse.

SC5 (imo) is the best fighter gameplay wise. Haven't played VF5 so I can't comment on that and TTT2 is traditional tekken with rage management.

3.1 is not better.

Skilletor

Okay, so I got two different answers there.

No disrespect to Seks, but I think grap3's answer sounds correct because when the game wants you to hold a P or K button down, it has a solid white arrow directly above the button icon pointing downwards. That wouldn't be indicated by an arrow on the right side of the icon, like you suggested, Seks.

But that is helpful info, thanks to both for replying.

I seriously need to learn to get my Holds right because I end up losing many matches with shit use of them. I can't tell if it's just a guessing game most of the time, unless the opponent becomes predictable quickly.

Juggling is something else I want to try to perfect. I've lost a few matches with opponents keeping me in the air for almost an entire round with sod all I can do about it.

As much as online makes me rage, I am loving it, it has to be said. I've never been a pro fighting game player, so I wouldn't know why it seems like a bad game, so I'm sorry to hear it's poor by some people's standards, but I'm really enjoying it.

The game is perfect for casual players. Don't worry about what competitive players think and just have fun. :)

(Grap3 is right about the hit levels...2/3 tie breaker :p)

3.1 is not better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K-F7SZI9ByA

I disagree.

SC5 (imo) is the best fighter gameplay wise. Haven't played VF5 so I can't comment on that and TTT2 is traditional tekken with rage management.

DOA5 isn't bad, and its definitely a step up but I'm kind of disappointed at some of the decisions they have made. Rikuto, Dogg and a few others (IIRC) have mention how they took out things that were good for its gameplay because it would make it too hard for casuals to play.

Aight. I wasn't entirely sure since its been awhile since I followed the DOA scene.

<3 you.

TheSeks

Is it really? I thought it was like DOA3 where it designated hold commands. Huh. More you know.

Skilletor

Those DOA5 combos weren't optomized for damage and have a lower health bar. (240 points vs the 300 or 270 shown in those vids)

/shrug

It is what it is. See what you want. I see launcher height being significantly higher without needing to extend multiple stuns. You see...whatever it is you want.

Tired argument is tired.

YAY DOA5!

(No, seriously. Looking forward to it on Vita, provided the framerate isn't ass.)

TheSeks

Launchers in 3.1 was bananas, though. Launch someone, take them to the wall. Wall/danger zone hit. Stun them into a little bit longer combo of one or two more hits. Danger zone hit.

Top Bottom